Speciality Restaurants

grumpwun

I guess this could be considered one of those “Dumb questions”.

I know that in the main dining room and at the buffet you can have as many of a food item, app, entree, etc that you want.  BUT what about the speciality restaurants, the ones where there is an additional fee.  Is it acceptable to request more than one appetizer, entree or even dessert, and will your request be honored?

Asking for a friend, Wink, wink.

Thanks 

The Friend

7 minutes ago, grumpwun said:

I know that in the main dining room and at the buffet you can have as many of a food item, app, entree, etc that you want.  BUT what about the speciality restaurants, the ones where there is an additional fee.  Is it acceptable to request more than one appetizer, entree or even dessert, and will your request be honored?

Thanks 

The Friend

It varies, dependent on cruise line.  On Princess, Crown Grill, for example, you can order multiple appetizers, sides, dessert.  But an extra entree entails a $10 charge (each).  On DCL, in Palo, there's not extra cost for multiple dishes (at least last time I was there).

51 minutes ago, grumpwun said:

Thanks 

The Friend

Depends on the cruise line. For example, on Oceania (The Best Food At Sea™), there is no extra charge for specialty restaurants. Eat as often and as much as you want.

Note as well that the only difference between the MDR or Terrace Café and the specialties are the menus and the ambiance. Everything everywhere on an Oceania ship is delicious.

9 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Several times on Royal Caribbean we have been given a extra entree as a shared plate along with the main course.  Just ask and you may receive..

What restaurant? That’s way too much food , only one I have ever seen that on was Giovanni’s 

On Royal, the "official" line is, only the main dish is limited (or more precisely, extra charge for extra servings).

Appetizers, salads, sides, desserts are as much as you want.  And in Goivanni's (Italian) the pasta course is as much as you would like.

But I agree, I have a hard to with just one of each course (maybe a few sides to share in Chops).

2 hours ago, SRF said:

On Royal, the "official" line is, only the main dish is limited (or more precisely, extra charge for extra servings).

Appetizers, salads, sides, desserts are as much as you want.  And in Goivanni's (Italian) the pasta course is as much as you would like.

But I agree, I have a hard to with just one of each course (maybe a few sides to share in Chops).

16 hours ago, George C said:

What restaurant? That’s way too much food , only one I have ever seen that on was Giovanni’s 

It's not always about the amount of food being eaten. For us, it's about sampling different entrees. We sometimes order three between the two of us, and share them all. 

I understand that.

But even 3 entrees, along with starter, sides, and dessert (without a salad) is a LOT of food. 😄

Last cruise, in Giovanni's, we did 3 pastas, but only one entree for 2 people.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I understand that.

But even 3 entrees, along with starter, sides, and dessert (without a salad) is a LOT of food. 😄

Last cruise, in Giovanni's, we did 3 pastas, but only one entree for 2 people.

My point is that while it may be more food than usual, you aren't required to eat it all. It's a good way to try things you might not otherwise order if you had to pay for each entree separately like in most land based restaurants. 

Edited by sloopsailor

22 hours ago, George C said:

It was at 150 on Symphony.  I think it was called the Cauliflower Steak, nothing on the plate except the steak. Several times at Giovanies we have had a pasta entree as a shared plate when we order the filet and I get Lamb Shank. 

17 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

My point is that while it may be more food than usual, you aren't required to eat it all. It's a good way to try things you might not otherwise order if you had to pay for each entree separately like in most land based restaurants. 

Sorry, I have a problem with ordering something that you expect to not eat all of it.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Sorry, I have a problem with ordering something that you expect to not eat all of it.

Again, there are cruise lines where you can order addition specialty (or MDR) entrees at no extra cost AND you can specify that you want "appetizer" sized portions.

20 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Again, there are cruise lines where you can order addition specialty (or MDR) entrees at no extra cost AND you can specify that you want "appetizer" sized portions.

My comment was in response to someone ordering multiple ENTREES.

And we were talking about a SPECIFIC cruise line.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

My comment was in response to someone ordering multiple ENTREES.

And we were talking about a SPECIFIC cruise line.

You may want another cup of morning coffee. The OP identified no specific line (i.e., the CC mobile version shows none and several of us have already responded that the amount you can order depends on the cruise line).

Further, my comment about portions referred to the option of ordering additional ENTREES in "appetizer" SIZED portions. In other words,  having a "tapas" style, small plate option.

And, at least, OP now knows that there are avenues other than "one size fits all" when it comes to cruise ship food service. Selecting a cruise line that primarily does "a la minute" preparations can pretty much always adjust portion size to meet your needs.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

So, I guess my question is where to you put it all?   haha

I don't know.  On a recent cruise we shared a table with a couple that regularly (in the main dining room) ordered at least 2-3 appetizers (each) and 2 entrees most nights.  Not to mention the 1 or 2 desserts.  And, yes, they ate it all.

23 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You may want another cup of morning coffee. The OP identified no specific line (i.e., the CC mobile version shows none and several of us have already responded that the amount you can order depends on the cruise line).

Further, my comment about portions referred to the option of ordering additional ENTREES in "appetizer" SIZED portions. In other words,  having a "tapas" style, small plate option.

And, at least, OP now knows that there are avenues other than "one size fits all" when it comes to cruise ship food service. Selecting a cruise line that primarily does "a la minute" preparations can pretty much always adjust portion size to meet your needs.

Was I quoting/answering YOUR post?

NO, I was not.  So what you said was NOT RELEVANT.

20 minutes ago, SRF said:

Was I quoting/answering YOUR post?

NO, I was not.  So what you said was NOT RELEVANT.

Add another "cup o' jo'" to your wake up regimen.

Your post (#16) specifically quotes my post (#15) where I introduced the very relevant concept of attempting to order multiple entrees in appetizer sized portions (aka half portions, tapas, etc.) rather than wasteful multiple full sized entrees.

I guess I should clarify which cruise line.

The question was in reference to Celebrity Cruise line.  

Haved sailed on enough cruises to be elevated to an upper level, and have dined many a time in the speciality restaurants BUT have never ordered more than one Appetizer, entree, or dessert when dining there, thus my inquiry.  Not a huge eater but have on occasion ordered multiple items in the main dining room.

My thanks to all who have responded thus far and to those who choose to respond with the noted cruise line referenced.

Gary

On 12/15/2018 at 6:08 PM, ldubs said:

So, I guess my question is where to you put it all?   haha

On 12/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, Shmoo here said:

I don't know.  On a recent cruise we shared a table with a couple that regularly (in the main dining room) ordered at least 2-3 appetizers (each) and 2 entrees most nights.  Not to mention the 1 or 2 desserts.  And, yes, they ate it all.

Some people drink to excess on cruises and some eat to excess🤷‍♀️.

MDR portions are often smaller than traditional land restaurants. I can usually make a meal from an appetizer on land, but could easily have a shrimp cocktail and salad and still have room for an entree, possibly even a dessert, without feeling like a glutton.  I have rarely ordered 2 entrees, but often get multiple apps as do most (strangers) we have been seated with.  I don't judge if someone orders an extra entree - maybe they were doing an excursion earlier that burned a lot of calories or are weight training and need the extra food.  Many I think like to take advantage of the opportunity to try different items than they would on land , much like those who drink differently than on land.