Prague pre cruise

Rellyrooly

Hello all!

We are starting our Avalon cruise in Prague in October 2019.  We'd like to spend a few days pre cruise in Prague and my parents may meet us there.  Realistically, how many days should we spend there pre cruise to see the city?  Not sure how big or how there is to do there.  Anything we must see?  Just trying to understand how long we need there and any help is much appreciated!

Three days will allow you to see a lot but that's if you keep busy most of the time. It is truly a lovely city, but the problem is that everybody else thinks so too. And it's not a big sprawling city like Budapest, so it's a little crowded. But that makes it easier to get around.

Definitely go if you can make it happen. We did three days there on our own (not cruise-related) and loved it. I'd go back without question. There is a lot of great stuff to see. Pictures in my SmugMug gallery if you want to look (May 2017 album). Everyone's definition of "must see" is different so best if you decide that based on what is important to you. Enjoy!

18 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Three days will allow you to see a lot but that's if you keep busy most of the time. It is truly a lovely city, but the problem is that everybody else thinks so too. And it's not a big sprawling city like Budapest, so it's a little crowded. But that makes it easier to get around.

Definitely go if you can make it happen. We did three days there on our own (not cruise-related) and loved it. I'd go back without question. There is a lot of great stuff to see. Pictures in my SmugMug gallery if you want to look (May 2017 album). Everyone's definition of "must see" is different so best if you decide that based on what is important to you. Enjoy!

Thank you for your reply!  Your pictures were fun to see!  Was there a zombie day going on while you were there?  That was probably pretty funny to see.  We are thinking about 3 days as well and just didn't know if that would be enough to get a good grasp of the city.  Not even sure what we want to do or see, just want to take the city in and sightsee a bit.  We are planning on doing London post cruise so can't really spend too much time in Prague or my husband will veto time in London.  Just want to make sure we have enough time for both!   BTW, I went to SUNY Albany!

Edited by Rellyrooly

Not sure what was going on with the zombies but they were fun to see. We saw them assembling in the morning over by the Powder Tower, then again a few hours later crossing the Charles Bridge. 

Your plan sounds fine - Prague is fun to wander around aimlessly. Food and beer is very good, and quite inexpensive. But London needs a lot of time too. We have been to London 5 or 6 times and we still haven't finished our list.

SUNY Albany! I went there for a few years of grad school back 20 years ago. They had (have) a nice Masters in Public Health program.

We spent four nights in Prague recently and enjoyed every second of it. We also had a transit day on the way there from Passau (our stay in Prague was at the end of our cruise), where we had a stop for a tour of Cesky Krumlov with lunch. We were very glad to have included that as well. We had a personal guide for the first full day, and then used that experience as a guide for what to focus on for our remaining days. I'd love to go back!

Three days in Prague are enough to get a taste of what you want to see and do the Next Time you are going to be there. And you will want to go back!

I suggest you search 'the honest guide to Prague ' on YouTube.  This young man is a local with extremely good English and is proud to show you his home town...the good and not so good (scam money exchanges), the hidden gems and where to get cheap beer. 🍺

RB

• Like 1

Prague is wonderful and I would suggest at least three full days there. That said, if you can only budget two, it's still well worth visiting. Public transit makes it very easy to get around and food and drinks are very affordable. 

Highlights for us included the Prague castle complex (including St. Vitus) - that can take the better part of a day if you really want to see it all; viewing Mucha's Slav Epic (not currently on display but the pieces may be made public by next fall); and the Old Jewish Synagogue and Old New Synagogue. 

We spent a full week there and I wish we could have been there longer and I've already been there 6 times!  SOOO much to do.  We did a food tour with Taste of Prague, a photography tour, traced some of the locations in the movie Operation Daybreak.  Went to Terezine one day.  You can do so much there.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 8:53 PM, Rebel54 said:

We spent a full week there and I wish we could have been there longer and I've already been there 6 times!  SOOO much to do.  We did a food tour with Taste of Prague, a photography tour, traced some of the locations in the movie Operation Daybreak.  Went to Terezine one day.  You can do so much there.  

We also visited sites referenced in Operation Anthropoid/Daybreak. We visited the memorial (Libeň) where Heydrich was ambushed & also the Church of St. Cyril & Methodius (Daybreak was actually filmed here).

We love Prague - it is a beautiful city with much to see and do. 

7 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

We are spending 6 nights there in February, so all your posts are very interesting. Thanks for posting. 

If you are interested in a great photo tour...Johnny's Prague Photo Tours is AMAZING.  The food tour we took with Taste of Prague was probably the best food tour I have ever taken anywhere we have been.

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

We also visited sites referenced in Operation Anthropoid/Daybreak. We visited the memorial (Libeň) where Heydrich was ambushed & also the Church of St. Cyril & Methodius (Daybreak was actually filmed here).

We love Prague - it is a beautiful city with much to see and do. 

It's so facinating to walk in the footsteps of history.  We went to the church too.  I'm glad we watched Daybreak before we went.  Anthropoid wasn't out  yet.

8 hours ago, Rebel54 said:

If you are interested in a great photo tour...Johnny's Prague Photo Tours is AMAZING.  The food tour we took with Taste of Prague was probably the best food tour I have ever taken anywhere we have been.

Do you have a link to pictures?

On 1/14/2019 at 3:38 PM, mskaufman said:

Do you have a link to pictures?

Here's his site:  https://www.johnnyspraguetours.com/

He can work with anyone at any level.  Sunrise, sunset, all sorts of tours.    I will see if I can link some of my pics from walking about with him.

Some of my pics from one of his tours:

https://www.facebook.com/Mr.MrsArvinCombs/media_set?set=a.10157183407855114&type=3

Prague1.jpg

Prague2.jpg

Prague3.jpg

Prague4.jpg

Edited by Rebel54

7 hours ago, 1stimecruiser said:

fantastic photos.  Thanks for sharing.  We are looking at a Viking River cruise (Romanic Danube) and then a post stay in Prague.  Still in the research stage some finding this thread so helpful.  thank you!

We did Romantic Danube with a pre-cruise in Prague.  Happy to answer questions or share photos

19 hours ago, mskaufman said:

We did Romantic Danube with a pre-cruise in Prague.  Happy to answer questions or share photos

mskaufman, we would like to see photos.  Did you do any extra tours and if so what cities and what is not to be missed.  What hotel did you stay at in Prague?   thanks for answering questions and sharing your experience.  Wanda & Mike