Going to the Edge... The "Infinite" Veranda ?

$hip$hape

Image result for infinity pool

From Celebrity:

“The most transformational aspect of our stateroom design is the introduction of the Edge Stateroom with an Infinite Veranda,

where with the touch of a button, your entire living space becomes the veranda,

letting you walk right out to the water’s edge.

Is this a misunderstanding of a concept(?)

Maybe “Infinite” was the wrong word choice, as some potential customers may have visualized something like an infinite pool,

and are disappointed ?

Too bad. But without a glass bottom-half on the balcony,

someone would eventually go over the Edge.

...Reminds me of the misunderstanding that  "The Deer Lady" had ... 

Edited by $hip$hape

13 minutes ago, $hip$hape said:

From Celebrity:

“The most transformational aspect of our stateroom design is the introduction of the Edge Stateroom with an Infinite Veranda,

Maybe “Infinite” was the wrong word choice, as some potential customers may have visualized an infinite pool, and are disappointed ?

Too bad. But without a glass bottom half on the balcony, someone would eventually go over the Edge.

...Reminds me of the misunderstanding, of "The Deer Lady"... 

Sorry... I could not post without re post of above...not sure why?

Use of  the term "INFINITE " veranda was definitely a misnomer and  a PR coup...

Once we get in there we truly  will see how limited the space is....can't close bi folds without moving furniture...no lounger will fit, small table etc..  They could not  have picked a more opposite name but that's pr  genius for you!

28 minutes ago, $hip$hape said:

Image result for infinity pool

From Celebrity:

Maybe “Infinite” was the wrong word choice, as some potential customers may have visualized an infinite pool, and are disappointed ?

Too bad. But without a glass bottom-half on the balcony,

someone would eventually go over the Edge.

...Reminds me of the misunderstanding that  "The Deer Lady" had ... 

Classic ----- deer crossings. Please tell me this was a send up.

Had they kept the infinite balcony at 54 Sq ft like the S class, and put the black-out drapes on the inside of the folding doors, they would have had far fewer complaints. A 12 sq ft reduction is huge when every inch counts.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Had they kept the infinite balcony at 54 Sq ft like the S class, and put the black-out drapes on the inside of the folding doors, they would have had far fewer complaints. A 12 sq ft reduction is huge when every inch counts.

I understand what you are saying.:classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Sorry... I could not post without re post of above...not sure why?

Use of  the term "INFINITE " veranda was definitely a misnomer and  a PR coup...

Once we get in there we truly  will see how limited the space is....can't close bi folds without moving furniture...no lounger will fit, small table etc..  They could not  have picked a more opposite name but that's pr  genius for you!

I think X’s choice of the word “verandah” was misleading and confusing as there is no verandah at all in this cabin type. “Infinite” (in my opinion) refers to the view when looking out, but X needs to remove verandah from the cabin classification.

28 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I think X’s choice of the word “verandah” was misleading and confusing 

as there is no verandah at all in this cabin type. 

“Infinite” (in my opinion) refers to the view when looking out,

but X needs to remove verandah from the cabin classification.

On our first Viking river cruise, we booked a "French Balcony".

Afterwords,  on Cruise Critic, we considered that term "misleading",

Other pax then advised us,  "Everyone knows, a French Balcony means NO balcony." :classic_huh:

You learn as you go.:classic_blink:

Edited by $hip$hape

1 hour ago, $hip$hape said:

Other pax then advised us,  "Everyone knows, a French Balcony means NO balcony." :classic_huh:

When we have sailed on P&O Oceana we have a balcony that is in the hull of the ship. We absolutely love those balconies. They have the normal doors between cabin and balcony but the balcony itself is not huge. I can see why the IV cabin is called a balcony as when the doors are closed behind it, it is like an old fashioned, in the hull, balcony.

Not sure if this makes sense

Have a look at this clip -- about 3 minutes in

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=balcony+cabin+oceana&&view=detail&mid=2B58D8AD4C8862917DFD2B58D8AD4C8862917DFD&&FORM=VRDGAR

Edited by Presto2

3 hours ago, twodjs said:

Now perhaps my math is wrong.... but I measured me E3 veranda as 4' 6" deep... from the window wall to the edge of the track for the bifold door and 7' 4" from wall to wall.... now my math says that is 33 sq ft..... vs the 42 advertised... not sure where the 9 sq ft went... some is likely in the walls... but I don't think that is enough to make up the difference.

3 hours ago, $hip$hape said:

I don't recall X calling this a French Balcony. And if I were to book a cabin on a Viking River Cruise, I know what I would be getting. 😉

8 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I don't recall X calling this a French Balcony. And if I were to book a cabin on a Viking River Cruise, I know what I would be getting. 😉

X coined a new type  of balcony called the "Infinite Veranda".  Wait until Webster's dictionary gets a hold of that one.  

OK sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm on my second glass of wine, and I am addicted to the Edge threads.  Usually I move on to the next cruise, but I haven't been able to do that.

Edited by ecslady
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ecslady said:

X coined a new type  of balcony called the "Infinite Veranda".  Wait until Webster's dictionary gets a hold of that one.  

OK sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm on my second glass of wine, and I am addicted to the Edge threads.  Usually I move on to the next cruise, but I haven't been able to do that.

Lol... I've only finished my second glass of wine, trying to catch up!

Do you think Webster's will even bother? Wait two months, X will probably come up with another moniker. 😁

3 hours ago, kearney said:

Now perhaps my math is wrong.... but I measured me E3 veranda as 4' 6" deep... from the window wall to the edge of the track for the bifold door and 7' 4" from wall to wall.... now my math says that is 33 sq ft..... vs the 42 advertised... not sure where the 9 sq ft went... some is likely in the walls... but I don't think that is enough to make up the difference.

Yes. That’s what our math says too. 33 SF aka not nearly enough. 

7 hours ago, kearney said:

I'm not sure whether it would make this math work, but in a career of dealing with building plans and renovations I learned that you don't measure rooms from the insides of the walls [like you do when buying carpet] – architects measure from the middle of the walls.  That means the side-to-side is wider than 7' 4" and even the depth is a little larger than you measured.  But in any case no version can come out to the 54 sf of S-class.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm not sure whether it would make this math work, but in a career of dealing with building plans and renovations I learned that you don't measure rooms from the insides of the walls [like you do when buying carpet] – architects measure from the middle of the walls.  That means the side-to-side is wider than 7' 4" and even the depth is a little larger than you measured.  But in any case no version can come out to the 54 sf of S-class.

I thought that they likely measured the way you say.... but to check I would love to get someone to measure what I am calling useable space on comparable cabin on S class... that way it is a fairer comparison. Everything you read suggests that the verandas are just a bit smaller 42 vs 53 or so sq ft. The IV cabin we had was just so tight I could not buy the figures in materials being correct. People think that they should have a reclining chair and a table for breakfast ... like other normal verandas... but it is really small and not at all like a regular veranda... so a useable space measurement is more meaningful than what an architect might use....

48 minutes ago, hcat said:

Hoppen....NO

Others  perhaps...the S.S. Minnow!

Not only haven't they cruised before, but I think they are all too young to remember the S.S. Minnow.

I also spoke to someone on the Edge that thought the corridors in the cabin areas were a bit thinner then on the S class ships. THey said they were able to walk side by side on the S class down the corridor, but couldn't on the Edge. I didn't measure but maybe they are correct.  Anyone else notice a difference?

Edited by ecslady