Heading to Miami to meet our old friend Voyager

UUNetBill

1 hour ago, vegasdriven said:

We are onboard as well! Just figured out the WiFi and sitting on our balcony posting this. Checkin was a breeze- we’ll once we got to terminal J that is. We used Lyft aid over Miami for the 2 days we were there with no problems but when we ordered it to go to the ship we got a driver that had no idea where he was going and didn’t speak English so after ending up in the truck lane we finally managed to convey our wishes to get on one of those nice ships instead😂. Anyway as we were boarding I heard the fellow behind us introducing himself to the couple behind them as uunetbill. So we managed to meet before the horizon meetup. We enjoyed a drink before lunch with with Bill and his lovely wife. 

To say we are impressed and thrilled to be onboard would be an understatement. Our suite is beautiful and so comfortable with plenty of room for everything. I guess if you were on a longer cruise you would miss the drawer space they took away in refurb, though I think we could manage. I just told Dh “simply no strewing clothing all over-hang it up buddy “. I would like to write more, but my champagne bubbles are dissipating. Hope to update soon-ish 

Laughing about your orders to DH.  George is also under orders--what he ends up doing is putting every thing on those hooks in the entry area.  It actually works out pretty well for us.

Thought I would have had more time for posting, but I am finding all this luxury treatment to be exhausting😂

We really enjoyed our time at Great stirrup caye. Beautiful beach which we had to ourselves. Great lunch barbecue and champagne in the surf 

EF633895-375C-4256-8FB8-937BB43A5A91.jpeg

Loving Compass Rose, Sette Mari was great, Prime 7 surprisingly a bit disappointing. We enjoyed the company of a couple from Manchester and Switzerland. 

My steak tartare was very good, but my seafood sampler was over cooked. We all seemed to have some kind of complaint, though not enough to send back(esp. due to the late hour), but we were kind of expecting to be wowed by this one. No biggie. We will see how we like Chartreuse, but in any case we would be happy to eat at CR every night. 

We had lunch there one day and that too was fabulous. 

San Juan we should have skipped the tour and done our own, though we did enjoy the San Cristobal fort. Not so much the rum factory. 

Well, almost happy hour, will try to post more soon and will do a recap after I get home(don’t want to think about that).

3 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

Loving Compass Rose, Sette Mari was great, Prime 7 surprisingly a bit disappointing. We enjoyed the company of a couple from Manchester and Switzerland. 

My steak tartare was very good, but my seafood sampler was over cooked. We all seemed to have some kind of complaint, though not enough to send back(esp. due to the late hour), but we were kind of expecting to be wowed by this one. No biggie. We will see how we like Chartreuse, but in any case we would be happy to eat at CR every night. 

San Juan we should have skipped the tour and done our own, though we did enjoy the San Cristobal fort. Not so much the rum factory. 

Well, almost happy hour, will try to post more soon and will do a recap after I get home(don’t want to think about that).

So good to hear that you are enjoying your first Regent cruise (love the photo of champagne in the surf).  We, like yourselves, could dine in CR every night.  We do find Prime 7 to be great sometimes and not so great other times.  We enjoyed Chartreuse on Explorer but did not on Voyager.

Anyway, just have fun and you can always give us a full review when you return!

5 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

Thought I would have had more time for posting, but I am finding all this luxury treatment to be exhausting😂

We really enjoyed our time at Great stirrup caye. Beautiful beach which we had to ourselves. Great lunch barbecue and champagne in the surf 

Now this looks like MY kind of excursion!    We're boarding the Voyager on Thursday...  can't wait.   Our itinerary is not taking us to Great Stirrup, but I'm sure we'll have a great time regardless.  🥂

21 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

Try the steak tartare in Chartreuse. I love steak tartare and Chartreuse was the best on Explorer.  They served it in P7, one night in CR and in C and C was definitely the tastiest though all 3 were very good. 

Continue to have a fabulous time. 

Thanks to all who are currently onboard and contributed here. Very much appreciated. Hope you all had a wonderful time while on Voyager. 

We board Voyager the day you disembark. Certainly open to any suggestions you may care to share about things to do, things to eat, things to drink, items not to be missed. 

Love be hear which key officers and staff will be onboard. 

This is will be our second Regent cruise ( first was the most impressive Mariner Amazon sailing in late 2017).  We also just recently disembarked Oceania Nautica after being aboard for 20 nights, Athens to Dubai. Also a very nice experience in terms of comfort and cuisine. 

Edited by RJ2002
Correct date

On 1/6/2019 at 1:00 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Bill, I think that server (CR) Roxanne may still be onboard.  If you sit in her section, you'll enjoy her as much as we did and Mr. Rumor's family did as well.  She is always smiling, has a great sense of humor and is an all around great person.  

Have a wonderful cruise - don't think about us until you get home and then we want to read EVERYTHING:classic_smile:

Well, first off, let me apologize for not posting while on board, I know there were a few of you embarking on the 17th and probably wanted some feedback, but by golly I was just enjoying this cruise WAY too much to drag out my iPad.  So I'm sorry for the delay but I'll try and get questions answered, comments made, and I'll do a review in the main review section as well.

TC, Roxanne is still on board and she's as delightful as you said she'd be.  We were in her section the night we had dinner with Davor (quite possibly the best GM I've ever seen - he's amazing) and she is truly a treasure.  She also sat behind the Dining Reservations desk a few times and was always just incredibly cheerful, professional, and helpful.  

On 1/6/2019 at 7:39 PM, ronrick1943 said:

Have a great trip---I'll look forward to reading your post (you know you want to write).  Cruise with Joy and Happy times. Rick

Rick, you're right - I DID want to post.  But I wanted to eat, drink, and be merry even more.  Hence my delayed report.  I can honestly say that the crew on board was probably 99% of the reason this cruise WAS filled with joy and happy times.  My wife and I both agreed that this was probably one of our best cruises ever.  That ship and crew just HUMMED with good vibes...literally and figuratively.  More on that later.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:40 PM, DatawCruiser said:

I'm here also Bill.  Just spent a nice day in Miami and am looking forward to boarding tomorrow.  We are in 821.  I'll try and add to your comments when time permits.

Well, it was great meeting everyone on board and I wish we'd have had more time to hang out - but the passengers on this cruise were all just so damn friendly and outgoing that we literally weren't able to remember everyone we met/did excursions with/dined with/drank with/hung out with/etc.  I'd love to see some of your thoughts on this cruise now that we're back in reality.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:43 PM, Got2Cruise said:

Would love to hear your reviews of the ports/excursions especially. Considered booking but was not sure how much beach time. Booked Aruba instead. Regent is an excellent value when comparing to luxury resorts in Caribbean. 

G2C - although I'm not a huge beach person, it seemed to me that each port had plenty of beach opportunities.  I tend to go more toward the 'experience' options such as the parasailing, swimming with sting rays, helmet dives, ATV adventures, etc. so I can't comment on specific beaches, but I know they always seemed to have a few options and if Regent didn't offer anything, most ports had good beaches just a quick taxi ride away.  Perhaps someone else from the roll call can offer up more info.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:17 AM, macbest said:

Yes I would like to hear about the ports also. We are on her Feb 13. I think there are a number of overlap ports. 

macbest - see above - I can't speak specifically on beaches but if you have questions about other types of excursions, just ask and I'll see if I can answer them.

On 1/7/2019 at 3:51 PM, liptastic said:

Bon Voyage Bill. Birthday wishes to your wife for a lovely cruise. A good friend of ours is a wine waiter onboard, Manzur. Am sure he will keep the drinks chilled to keep everyone hydrated. Look forward to your updates. 

Jean - thank you - my wife has been saying 'Best Birthday EVER' for about a week now, so I think she enjoyed it.  There was a Manzoor aboard, I'm assuming that's the same guy - and yes, he was great.  I'm so glad they put the bigger font on the name tags a few years back - makes it a LOT easier to thank everyone on the cruise questionnaires.

On 1/7/2019 at 6:26 PM, Cef123 said:

Have a fabulous cruise, Bill. We watched Voyager sail away from Miami tonight (on the Miami Port webcam). All being well, we'll be on her when she next sails from Miami 🙂. January 17th.... I'm so excited already, I can barely stand it!

Happy, Happy birthday trip to you both.

Cef - hope your cruise is as great as ours was.  Hell, if it's even HALF as good as ours was it'll be incredible.   See?  You're on board now and I'm back in the office.  Such is life...

On 1/7/2019 at 11:27 PM, Gcto said:

Bill, have a great trip and pls let me know how the ol' Voyager is behaving. We'll be on the ship in a few weeks and are looking forward to it. 

Gcto - this was only our second Voyager cruise, our first being to the Baltic about 9 years ago, and I have to say that the ship was in fantastic shape, the crew was on point, and everything was running like a well-oiled machine.  I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time!

On 1/8/2019 at 10:12 AM, RachelG said:

Have a great trip.  Voyager is still my favorite ship.  And have another rum punch for me.

Rachel - I tried my best to drink as many rum drinks as possible...to my occasional detriment.   :-)   We both felt that Voyager is in great shape - anyone who's thinking about waiting until her next refurbishment needn't worry - I really saw nothing at all on this ship that would make me not book a cruise on her any time in the future.  Now maybe I'll have a rum punch when I get home from the office tonight...but it just won't be the same...

On 1/9/2019 at 1:46 PM, vegasdriven said:

We are onboard as well! Just figured out the WiFi and sitting on our balcony posting this. Checkin was a breeze- we’ll once we got to terminal J that is. We used Lyft aid over Miami for the 2 days we were there with no problems but when we ordered it to go to the ship we got a driver that had no idea where he was going and didn’t speak English so after ending up in the truck lane we finally managed to convey our wishes to get on one of those nice ships instead😂. Anyway as we were boarding I heard the fellow behind us introducing himself to the couple behind them as uunetbill. So we managed to meet before the horizon meetup. We enjoyed a drink before lunch with with Bill and his lovely wife. 

To say we are impressed and thrilled to be onboard would be an understatement. Our suite is beautiful and so comfortable with plenty of room for everything. I guess if you were on a longer cruise you would miss the drawer space they took away in refurb, though I think we could manage. I just told Dh “simply no strewing clothing all over-hang it up buddy “. I would like to write more, but my champagne bubbles are dissipating. Hope to update soon-ish 

Debra - it was great meeting you and Chris in the 'pre-meetup meetup'.  I wish I'd have thought to make up some name tags with people's real names and their screen names - even after a week on board, whenever we saw you guys coming, we'd say "Hey, there's Vegas!"  

On 1/12/2019 at 2:56 PM, vegasdriven said:

Thanks for posting that pic - I loved the 'champers in the surf' thing - although I was probably on piña colada number three by the time they came out.

On 1/16/2019 at 2:35 AM, RJ2002 said:

Thanks to all who are currently onboard and contributed here. Very much appreciated. Hope you all had a wonderful time while on Voyager. 

We board Voyager the day you disembark. Certainly open to any suggestions you may care to share about things to do, things to eat, things to drink, items not to be missed. 

Love be hear which key officers and staff will be onboard. 

This is will be our second Regent cruise ( first was the most impressive Mariner Amazon sailing in late 2017).  We also just recently disembarked Oceania Nautica after being aboard for 20 nights, Athens to Dubai. Also a very nice experience in terms of comfort and cuisine. 

RJ - my suggestions would be to do as much or as little as you like!  If you're onboard now, I can't offer any advice on ports as you're on the western route, I believe.  As to the ship, well, you can do whatever you want.  We did learn some new games, saw some good shows, and ate WAY too much!  If you're into wine, they have a wine lunch that was very nice - it's $169/pp but not a bad way to spend some OBC if you have some to burn - they do a multi-course lunch with paired wines, they pour a nice champagne to start (that they saber to open, a first for us), all the way through to dessert wines.  You'll walk out full and possibly a bit wobbly.  They also do a Beatles dance party on the last night that was pretty fun (although not as fun as the one on Explorer if you've ever done that one) but still nice to swing by.  And Krew Kapers is always a must-see, IMO.

More coming shortly (hopefully today but definitely this weekend).

• Like 1

Well, for anyone interested, here are my thoughts on Voyager last week:

Ship:

Cabin:

We booked an H Gty and were fortunate enough to receive a visit from the upgrade fairy to a PH C, Aft, commonly known as the Horizonview suites.  Although the same size as the D-H cabins, these aft-facing suites have larger balconies and butlers along with the associated amenities.  I'm not usually a butler kind of guy, but if all butlers were like Zahid, I probably would be.  The cabin itself was in excellent condition, and I was looking pretty closely after reading some recent reviews.  The carpet and cabinets were in excellent condition, everything worked, and even being aft, there were no serious rattles.  As others have said, the lack of drawer space could be an issue on a longer cruise, but my wife and I had plenty of space for all of our things.  I think there's more than adequate storage for anything up to 14-16 days, but I can see how it could start to be an issue on a longer itinerary.  But then again, anything short of the named suites is somewhat limited in space in the long run.  Our butler (Zahid) and stewardess (Cyndi sp?) were superb - our cabin was always spotless and they bent over backwards to meet our schedule.  Truth be told, I rarely saw our stewardess - I called her the stealth attendant.  We did have some issues with the shower door leaking, especially when anchored - there was a wind-induced list that allowed the water to splash over the sill.  An extra towel rolled up at the base of the shower cured that.

Common Areas:

Again, I saw no signs of wear - the crew was ALWAYS cleaning, painting, tweaking, etc. - I really can't find fault anywhere.  Seriously.  One lunch at Compass Rose, I saw that all of the LED accent lights were off-white, but one 8' section was light blue.  That's honestly how deep I had to dig to find anything I didn't think was perfect.

Dining:

Probably the best I've had in recent years.  One evening in Compass Rose, I had an entree delivered that was merely warm.  Just one.  I know this has been a point of contention lately so I was watching out for it, and I really don't see a problem with it at all.  It may be a problem in other venues or in other sections or with other servers, but good Lord, I didn't see it.  All other times, my courses were delivered hot and delicious.

I had previously had problems with service in the pool grill/bar area.  Well, THAT'S obviously been addressed.  I couldn't finish a meal or a snack or a drink without being visited within 30 seconds asking me what they could bring me.  I guess corporate really is listening.  Pool service went from barely passable to superb between our last cruise and this one.  Kudos, Regent.

Crew:

I figured it would be good when we were approached by Francisco about 5 minutes after boarding and he said, "Hey, I remember you guys - how are you?"  This was from August '17.  And he remembered us.  He then said, "Welcome home" - and that set the course for the rest of the cruise.  We recognized quite a few staff and crew and they all made us feel very welcome.  Not once did I encounter anyone who wasn't smiling and eager to help.  I usually see about one or two gloomy Gus types on a cruise, but I honestly didn't see a single one this trip.  It was very refreshing.

Officers/Staff:

We didn't interact much with the staff other than the GM, Davor, who seemed to be everywhere on the ship at the same time.  The man runs a tight ship, literally.  The CD team was Andy and Tammy and they were as chipper and happy as always.  Reception and Destination Services were stellar this time - even when we were in line waiting to ask a question and the guests in front of us kept berating them, they never lost their smiles or professionalism.  I was impressed.

Ports:

I'll be general here because everyone has different expectations here, but we stopped in Great Stirrup Cay, San Juan, Tortola, Antigua, St. Barts, and St. Maarten.  All I can say is that there will be something for everyone in at least one or two of these ports.  There are still signs of damage from Hurricane Irma on all of the islands, but it's amazing how quickly things are coming back online.  Don't expect perfection, but most of the tourist things are up and running.

Excursions:

Again, many things to choose from, whether it's lying on a beach, shopping, sightseeing, or getting a bit more adventurous, there's something for everyone.  I did the parasailing, the walking culinary tour, the stingray swim, the ATV adventure, the semi-submersible, and the helmet dive.  If anyone has any specific questions about any of these, I'd be glad to try and answer them.

Internet:

You're going to hear different stories on this one, so take this with a grain of salt...but after years of me griping and complaining about the internet, it was actually usable pretty much every day for me on this cruise.  Usually a bit slow, but I was always able to get online.  Streaming services (Pandora, YouTube, FaceTime, etc.) were blocked on the standard connections.  I heard that Regent is offering an 'enhanced package' that gives you more unfettered access, higher speeds, and no blocking - for $39/day or something like that.  Wasn't worth it to me.

On board, I heard several people complain that 'the internet is too slow to use' or 'the internet is down' - when I had just checked it 10 minutes earlier...I know that I personally helped 3 or 4 people get online when they had been told by the Internet Services dude that the internet was down.  What the problem usually comes down to is that people look at their device and see the WiFi icon showing full strength so they just assume that they're connected to the internet, just like at home...but what they don't realize is that the ship has the extra step of verifying your access so you need to log back into ICafe every now and then.  Example - I had a new friend tell me that she had just come from the Internet Services office and they told her that the internet was down.  She showed me her phone and it was showing full WiFi signal but her browser had stopped loading at about 10% of the page.  Just a short blue bar.  I showed her how to go to 'login.com' and click the 'Go Online' button, whereupon it verified her account and the page she had been trying to load for 45 minutes popped up in like 5 seconds.  This happened to quite a few people quite often.  I kept trying to tell people to go to 'login.com' and reverify their access...the ones who listened to me had no complaints about the internet.  The ones who didn't, well, they were the ones who said they wouldn't cruise Regent until they 'fixed the internet' when in reality, they need to fix the users.

Bottom line:  the full-time IT guy never - NEVER - had a problem logging in and getting internet access, whereas other non-IT people kept saying the internet sucked (or until they listened to me about how to get working again).  You make the call...

Summary:

Bottom line, we loved this cruise.  We usually go to the Mediterranean or the Baltic or somewhere where the travel wears you down a bit...this one was a 2 hour flight for us.  Honestly, the worst part of the trip was the 2.5 hour drive home from the Charlotte airport.  It's usually about an hour and 40 minutes, but between rain and accidents it was bumper to bumper almost the entire way.  I'd heard horror stories about the Miami Cruise Terminal but we had no issues there at all, knock wood.  We had about a $12 Uber from the hotel to the terminal, the porters got our luggage at the curb, we checked in in less than 20 minutes, and were on board by noon.  We were in our cabin at 1:00.  Smooth as silk.

Our butler made us want a butler all the time.  The ship was in fantastic condition, the crew was spot on, food and service were better than any cruise in recent memory.  In fact, this cruise was so good we booked another one for next year in addition to the one we already had booked.

My wife's birthday was, in her words "Best.  Birthday.  Ever."  Who can argue with that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bill, have to concur with your assessment of this cruise, it was unbelievably fabulous.

As first timers, getting used to the ship, and learning about all the activities, and opportunities for just having a fantastic time was a bit like a full time job😉. There were some things that I would have liked to take advantage of, but just didn't have the time- I mean you need to schedule in SOME time for just being lazy. That's a strange thing to say because how could you not be lazy while being waited on hand and foot.

It's true- it really did seem like a boatload of happy people from crew and staff to cruisers.

We were surprised by the amount of Canadians we met onboard- during the block party, almost all in our section were Canadian, and many people we met in the lounges as well. Of course, we enjoyed everyone we met from Americans to a lovely Swiss couple, and fun Brits. I would love to know the breakdown of nationalities just for interests sake.Wish we had more time to get to know everyone. We will definitely try to share tables more next time, we did say we were open to it halfway through the cruise, but I think they had us pegged as two toppers, as we were just automatically led to a table for two, so for anyone who might be worried about having to share, I would say not a problem. I guess at Prime 7 it could be more difficult to get a table for two.

I will do a more in depth report of our ports activities later, we had a long day getting home yesterday (well, didn't actually get home till today, but that is just due to the logistics of getting on and off the island we call home, all our flights went like clockwork).

It is good to be home, and looking forward to a life of abstinence(NOT), after all the delicious food and drinks we indulged in.

I will also get around to filling out Bill's spreadsheet on our cabin, as none of those in that area have been reviewed as yet.

Have to get back to work, too, so we can afford another Regent cruise soon, we're already looking through brochures and dreaming😌 

Glad you and your wife had such a great cruise, Bill.   And quite understand that the activities onboard and onshore kept you more than occupied (and anyway much more important to enjoy those than to blog from the ship!!)  Hope to meet you on a  cruise somewhere someday!

Gerry

Bill, were you actually onboard?  Debra and I finally met the last sea day, but I was thinking you'd gone AWOL.  We had the same sort of wonderful voyage you describe.

Our experience in Compass Rose was delightful! Minor hiccups counted for very little. We loved the food in Chartreuse, but not the service.  Found Prime 7 something of a mixed bag.  We also loved both food and service in Sette Mari (though I probably wouldn’t order veal anywhere on the ship again). La Veranda offered some lovely curries (so did CR); the cooked to order breakfasts and croissants were particularly good; food was refreshed up until the very last minute; and service was always sharp. Culinary highpoints included lamp chops, foie gras, and leek quiche in CR, Floating Island, sole and scallops in Chartreuse, and foie gras, steak tartare, and lamb chops in Prime 7. The hors d’oeuvres served in the lounge were really tasty and tea featured good hot tea, and marvelous scones and clotted cream (and generous, though somewhat dry, savory sandwiches).

Kudos to Regent for handling life-threatening food allergies so gracefully! There was but one tiny problem at the pool grill, and it was easily fixed. For anyone with similar issues, I encourage you to enjoy yourself, explore the menus, and try the untried. If you do not pre-order, just stay vigilant.

We found the passengers so extraordinarily congenial that we spent very little time on our balcony and missed the shows and lectures entirely. 

Disappointments?  Minor.  The uneven quality of included shore excursions, the service at the pool bar, the duo and the orchestra.

A wonderful ten days!  Oh, dear, I hope I remember how to make my own coffee...

Edited by Cerinda
spelling

On 1/18/2019 at 1:18 PM, UUNetBill said:

Well, for anyone interested, here are my thoughts on Voyager last week:

Excursions:

Again, many things to choose from, whether it's lying on a beach, shopping, sightseeing, or getting a bit more adventurous, there's something for everyone.  I did the parasailing, the walking culinary tour, the stingray swim, the ATV adventure, the semi-submersible, and the helmet dive.  If anyone has any specific questions about any of these, I'd be glad to try and answer them.?

Bill can you tell us more about the culinary walking tour? I assume that was in San Juan? Was it worth it? I’d like to hear more about it. Thanks!

1 minute ago, macbest said:

Bill can you tell us more about the culinary walking tour? I assume that was in San Juan? Was it worth it? I’d like to hear more about it. Thanks!

Yep, it was in San Juan.  Our guide was very good, she spoke perfect English and had a lot of knowledge of the Old Town having grown up there.  We made probably 5 stops and I felt the food was good, although maybe a bit random.  There were some adult beverages included if you were so inclined, as well as a stop in a very authentic looking neighborhood restaurant.  We had some fried plantains, cod balls (better than they sound), chocolate and cheese, local pulled pork and rice and beans, ice cream/popsicles, and a nice walk around town.  My wife would be better able to provide some more details.

i think it was a $119/pp upcharge; whether it was worth it will depend on your value-meter.