Royal's MDR "Suggestions" and "Reccomendations" Are Lost On The Mass Market Steerage

21 hours ago, little britain said:

and you should never cut your bread roll with your knife...you should break it. 

That is absolutely OK where I come from! 👍

Breaking your bread is so NOT ok - my mom would have clutched her pearls ... if I did this! 😱

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I agree unless it’s their personal Roll on their plate and not table bread. I don’t want their hands or fingers on my bread. 

ACK another reason why i'm a freak. There is no way in the world I would eat bread out of a community basket!! My OCD is causing a twitch just thinking about this. Maybe I am getting to the root of why I will not go to the MDR unless we have a table by ourselves. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laslomas said:

I have just spent a huge chunk of time reading this thread from beginning to end and following all the diversions to smoking, and table manners, etc. The original post concerned dress code in the MDR and the recommendations made by RCI. I wish that Royal would enforce their ‘recommendations’ more than they do, but I am also surprised at the number of people happy to disregard them as meaningless.

According to RCI there are 3 distinct types of evening on board and their guidelines are perfectly easy to follow, and they suggest the Windjammer and other casual venues for casual dress. If it was written in a more forceful manner that would get peoples backs up and cause even more comment. When I read suggestions and recommendations I know that is what is expected and try my best to fit in. There will always be those to flout any kind of direction, and while I will just get on with enjoying my evening, whatever, it is just a shame that it is becoming more casual simply because no one enforces it.

Schools have guidelines for how pupils should dress and I am sure parents follow them for their children as best they can. How will children understand that guidelines should be followed at school but can just be ignored when on a cruise? Parents should set an example in this.

I’m looking forward to my next cruise in May and I know I will really enjoy it, but my favourite nights are the Formal ones as I love to get dressed up and I hope to see many others doing the same.    

The only comment I have on this is... I am glad they are not forcing older generation ideas on newer generations. The reason I couldn't care less about what others wear, is that it does not effect me. The only people this has an affect on, are those that have nothing better to do with their lives than to be busy bodies. Sad! 😥

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

You got it.  If middle of the road is somewhere between a tux and slob, I'm all over that.  My sport coat and slacks look like a black suit and I use the sport coat to mix and match with khaki trousers to get the black and tan thing going on.  Never said I advocated for wearing a tux, the top end of dressing up. I guarantee black slacks and a black sport coat looks better than those who couldn't find room in their luggage for a jacket for formal night, and way better than those in shorts, T-shirts, and a ballcap on backwards with no apparent sense of decorum.

The point was if you’re only going halfway, you are probably ticking off those there for the formal experience.  Personally, what you wear sounds similar to what I wear, but doesn’t matter to me if someone is dressed to a higher or lower dregree than I choose. So I’m not going to put people on blast for not meeting “my” standard when I’m aware I’m probably not meeting someone else’s standard.  Neither of us really is right to be wound up over it. I mea you shouldn’t really have to tell someone they shouldn’t come in sweaty gear from the sports court or gym, but some people need it spelled out.  But a guy in golf shorts, polo shirt, boat shoes I have no problem with.  That’s practically the daily outfit of many of my multimillion dollar clients.  Women apparently can do or wear absolutely anything without issue on RCI so why be bothered if a guy has cloth below his knee caps or not, unless you’re crawling around inspecting under the tables, am I right?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I need to find and go to Golden Corral so I can tell when someone is insulting me by comparing me to a Golden Corral customer.

We will definitely do this in April.... there is one close to PC👍

We will break our bread and watch reactions! 🙃

So looking forward to it! 🤘

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Haha 2

There could be a solution to this question and it would not be that difficult, would cost nothing to RCCL and would be very telling.  Every ship we have been on has a multi deck MDR.  Simply designate one deck as the "dress code REQUIRED and Enforced" deck, seating by request.  My guess is that that deck would fill up very quickly and allow those who enjoy the formal experience to do so with like minded guests.  It is such a simple solution I cannot believe no one has considered doing it.  If it fails to attract enough patronage it would be very easy to reverse, however I would be willing to bet that there would be such a success that RCCL would probably want to have an up-charge to dine there.   

• Like 3

To those who object to the casual dress in the MDR (and I may be among you)

your grioe should be with RCL not the passengers.  If RCL would enforce the dress code even slightly, the underdressed would be eating in the Windjammer.  The complaints should be addressed with RCL.

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Things I've learned.

1) I've been eating bread all wrong my entire life. I feel so inadequate,

2) I need to find and go to Golden Corral so I can tell when someone is insulting me by comparing me to a Golden Corral customer.

3) #2 doesn't really matter as there seems to be considerable debate over what constitutes an insult.

4) People find many different kinds of behavior offensive.  However, some people get offended by what others find offensive when they don't agree. I'm kinda offended by that.

5) I don't know how or why I would order an Egg McMuffin without an egg. Would that be just a McMuffin? Feeling really, really inadequate right now.

I seriously had tears running down my face reading this.  Thanks for the laugh.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

...still curious if wearing a sleeveless dress in specialty restaurants is ok?

Absolutely.  No problem with sleeveless.  It's more about the formality of the dress - is it a cotton sundress, or is it a more formal design and fabric?

That would depend.

Assuming that you are a woman who shaves her armpits then,noproblem.

i think the objectionable issue is men wearing tank tops or sleeveless t shirts with underarm hair on display.

Whenever this debate about MDR comes up on CC, I just think that people should regard formal night dress as what a guest would wear for an evening wedding reception with sit down service.

For DH and me  that means a cocktail dress / gown for me and a dark suit for him.

We would never think of attending such an event in t shirts,shorts and baseball caps.

But, we definitely would wear those casual clothes for a backyard barbecue or

sports  event.

If someone chooses to dress in a more relaxed style on a cruise,they can choose the buffet over the MDR for dinner.

IMHO, it is all about choices.

• Like 1

I'm just always confused by people who don't want to do quite what is recommended themselves, but critique people who do less than they are doing???!!??

Formal night?  BAH!  I don't want to do that much!  I'll go semi-formal.  That guy is only dressy-casual!  That's awful!

Formal night? NO WAY!  I'm going dressy-casual.  Oh my, those people are in business wear!  How uncouth!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LittleMissMagic said:

Absolutely.  No problem with sleeveless.  It's more about the formality of the dress - is it a cotton sundress, or is it a more formal design and fabric?

It will be this, and a blue floral one I just ordered.  I do have a shrug I could put over it...

DB42436B-FC6A-43AF-B0D6-E228044EBAF3.jpeg

2 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

If someone chooses to dress in a more relaxed style on a cruise,they can choose the buffet over the MDR for dinner.

IMHO, it is all about choices.

This same logic dictates that if you are cruising on a cruise line where people aren't living up to your standards and expectations that you should probably move to a higher class of cruise that does.  It is all about choices.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poncho1973 said:

I'm just always confused by people who don't want to do quite what is recommended themselves, but critique people who do less than they are doing???!!??

Formal night?  BAH!  I don't want to do that much!  I'll go semi-formal.  That guy is only dressy-casual!  That's awful!

Formal night? NO WAY!  I'm going dressy-casual.  Oh my, those people are in business wear!  How uncouth!

Lol 🙂. Note, I never care what others do...  I just prefer if people aren’t stinky 🙂

I do want to ensure my sleeveless dress (a maxi skirt pulled up into a dress) is appropriate in specialty restaurants on the non-formal nights.  We always dress up on formal night.

• Clarea locked this topic