Royal's MDR "Suggestions" and "Reccomendations" Are Lost On The Mass Market Steerage

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The fact that you consider it an insult is not on me, that's on you.  I have stated, repeatedly, that I don't consider it an insult but an accurate description of a standard dress.  Don't project your bias and stereo-types onto my views.  If you consider a statement referencing Walmart shoppers automatically forces at certain context I would suggest you are the one with the vile and insulting prejudice.   I have already stated that I shop at Walmart and the standard of dress that I expect to see and the standard of dress that I expect at a decent restaurant are different. Any other interpretation to my words other than their actual, literal,  meaning is unfair.

I'm not projecting anything onto your views. You're not even the person who made the insults in question. You're defending others, which I'm totally cool with, but not when you start turning the discussion into being about you. I am in no way interpreting your words in an unfair manner, because it's not your words I've been talking about.

Also, there is no such thing as an "actual, literal" interpretation to words. Everything about words and language involves context. That's why translation can be so difficult with languages that are both culturally and linguistically far apart.

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

Are you sure... You told me not to post anymore in a previous post.  Have you changed your mind.

You are still unable to comprehend my point and a few others.  Your insinuations can be construed as insults.  To say it's not your problem how others interpret your posts and opinions is ignorant.  You are only being antagonistic at this point, not trying to understand others opinions, so engaging anymore is pointless.  

9 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

If you're going that route, you should never put your bread on your plate and should put it on the table next to your plate.

Debretts says...

Bread rolls used to be served inside the napkin. When a guest sat down at the table and placed the napkin on their lap, they removed the bread roll and placed it to the left of their plate.

Bread rolls are eaten from a side plate to the left of a place setting. Break the roll, by hand, into bite-sized pieces that are eaten individually. Break off a new piece for each mouthful, rather than dividing the roll into chunks in advance. Butter, if desired, is taken from the butter dish, using the butter knife and placed on the edge of your side plate. Each piece, or mouthful, is individually buttered. The same applies to the artisan sliced bread often found in restaurants and to melba toast. Hot toast may be buttered all in one go but if it is to be spread with something such as pâté for a first course, follow the bread roll method as above. Brown bread and butter, served with smoked salmon, is ready buttered on the table on a plate, usually cut into halves diagonally.

End of. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K8inMN said:

It does, but it's also possible to not dress formally and still act in a polite, refined manner!

While it is possible to dress "not formally" and still act in a polite and refined manner, it is not possible to do so if in the MDR dressed in cutoff shorts, a t-shirt or tank and a baseball cap. Because, by ignoring what the cruise line puts out as dress "suggestions" (read "this is what we would like you to wear"), you are already displaying bad manners. Just because there are no consequences for ignoring their suggestions does not mean doing so is "good manners." That said, by some standards here, I have terrible manners. You see, I had never even HEARD that it is impolite to use a knife on your bread roll before. I guess that makes me "low class" in the eyes of some. Will it ruin my day? I don't think so.

Edited by payitforward
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

You know what will blow their minds. There are guests in the Coastal Kitchen, which is “finer dining” than the MDR, who wear jeans, shorts, and sandals to dinner and no one really seems to care. 

By wide paint brush assumptions displayed by some, they must be the same folks that drive their leased Lexus or Mercedes to Walmart, and go on cruises they can’t afford to pay for. (written in tongue in check font.)

We actually enjoy the CK because it is less formal and a more relaxed setting. Our cruise fares were not Golden Coral or Walmart prices. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Steerage is simply a historical reference to a part of the ship that held passengers with the cheapest tickets.  

Quick question to any poster. On RC ships what would be considered steerage? Can Ocean View and Promenade View cabins be considered steerage? 

21 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We actually enjoy the CK because it is less formal and a more relaxed setting. Our cruise fares were not Golden Coral or Walmart prices. 

Same with us.  We enjoy the less formal and relaxed setting. 

• Like 1

After watching the folks in the MDR in all manner of dress, I am convinced that one could show up in a bathrobe and shower shoes and not be turned away.

I've watched the RCI brand erode through their emphasis on receiving all 10s on the post cruise evaluations and the fear offending any passenger by enforcing anything.

I prefer a more genteel and refined environment when sitting at a properly set table with a white tablecloth.  I do not equate genteel with T-shirts, tank tops, and shorts.  Those who dress like that in the MDR present the image of a slob and would be better served in the Foodjammer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I prefer a more genteel and refined environment when sitting at a properly set table with a white tablecloth.  I do not equate genteel with T-shirts, tank tops, and shorts.  Those who dress like that in the MDR present the image of a slob and would be better served in the Foodjammer.

But, why would/should anyone care that YOU think they're a slob?  Don't we teach our kids to not worry about what others think about them?  Why does that change when you become an adult? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

After watching the folks in the MDR in all manner of dress, I am convinced that one could show up in a bathrobe and shower shoes and not be turned away.

I've watched the RCI brand erode through their emphasis on receiving all 10s on the post cruise evaluations and the fear offending any passenger by enforcing anything.

You consider Royal Caribbean ships - with flow riders, Quest games, waterslides, etc... to be refined environments?  To keep this store analogy up, I think you're looking all over Target and expecting to find the Chloe handbag you've been eyeing.  If you're yearning for a refined environment, try Crystal Cruises or a luxury line.  But don't go into Target and spit on the employees because you can't find an item that you should be shopping for at Neiman Marcus.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

Why did you put egg in quotes there? It’s a real whole egg. It’s other sandwiches that use the carton stuff.

it may be the only product there that uses a fresh egg, but it still tastes like it was made by Goodyear.  I will admit that in the many years since I've eaten at a McDonalds, they may have improved, but I'm not willing to take a chance on it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sitzmark said:

it may be the only product there that uses a fresh egg, but it still tastes like it was made by Goodyear.  I will admit that in the many years since I've eaten at a McDonalds, they may have improved, but I'm not willing to take a chance on it.

Correct, it is a real egg but it is still gross. Without egg is the only way to go. 

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Please wear what you like... Nobody is going to clutch any pearls. But please don't be offended when we play "Guess their vocation" and you hear someone whisper part-time waitress at Mel's diner under their breath as you walk by. Remember it's our vacation and we can do what we like.

Yes, because my family definitely does not want to be on a cruise with a part- time waitress!!   I am not sure what it says about someone who sits and plays " Guess their vocation".   Wow.     And before you say that I must be someone who dresses that way in the dining room, I can assure you that is most definitely not the case. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sitzmark said:

I’ve ordered those exact eggs as just eggs on the side, and they taste exactly like eggs.

58 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Not going to lie....I had to look up genteel as it is not a part of my everyday language.  I guess I have never used it as I am about 25% “Bubba”.  I asked my wife and she did not know the word either. I guess that makes her part “Bubbette”.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t know what you personally pay, but one can get a 7 day cruise for 2 on Royal for a total vacation price of $1200. That’s cheaper than if you stayed in at a Motel 6 and ate at Golden Corral every meal with no entertainment at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

I don’t know what you personally pay, but one can get a 7 day cruise for 2 on Royal for a total vacation price of $1200. That’s cheaper than if you stayed in at a Motel 6 and ate at Golden Corral every meal with no entertainment at all.

Trying to figure out your point?  On Oasis Class Ships, we enjoy the CK, like I said because of the relaxed dinning. I wore a shirt and tie one night on last cruise and didn’t pack one on the previous Oasis Class Cruises. 

• Like 1

Ooo, just thought of something... this will be the first cruise where I want to bring a couple sleeveless dresses (maxi skirts pulled up to be a dress).  Will this be acceptable in the specialty dining areas, or should I put a shrug on over it?  Note, I’m not looking to push the limits or anything... we always like to look nice and follow the dress policy 🙂  Note, im

pretty short, so even pulled up, the maxi goes down to my lower calf 😉

Edited by vacationlover_mn

57 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Ooo, just thought of something... this will be the first cruise where I want to bring a couple sleeveless dresses (maxi skirts pulled up to be a dress).  Will this be acceptable in the specialty dining areas, or should I put a shrug on over it?  Note, I’m not looking to push the limits or anything... we always like to look nice and follow the dress policy 🙂  Note, im

pretty short, so even pulled up, the maxi goes down to my lower calf 😉

Just wear a house coat, as your sweater and you’ll be good. 😉