Royal's MDR "Suggestions" and "Reccomendations" Are Lost On The Mass Market Steerage

I also wish that cruisers would make more of an effort to meet the dress suggestions put forth by the cruise line, however it doesn't affect my dining enjoyment at all.  I am dismayed by the lack of table manners exhibited by MDR diners.  On my last two cruises I witnessed people lowering their heads toward the table and shoveling food into their mouths and jamming rolls into their mouths.  Elbows were all over the table.  I understand that manners are something that are taught and can't be suggested by a cruise line, but again it is a lack of effort by the vacationer.  I suppose it is just another thing that I will have to overlook if I want to continue mainline cruising.

14 hours ago, clean1owner said:

For those who have not experienced it, this is what a formal night looks like.

IMG_20190108_0001.jpg

This wasn't a formal night. It is a semi-formal night. 

There used to be three types of dress in the MDR: Formal (long gowns for the women, tuxes for the men), semi formal (cocktail or short evening dresses for the women, diner jackets or dark suits for the men), and casual (think what used to be referred to as "Sunday go to meeting" or informal dinner at the country club attire).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, clean1owner said:

For those who have not experienced it, this is what a formal night looks like.

IMG_20190108_0001.jpg

This wasn't a formal night. It is a semi-formal night. 

There used to be three types of dress in the MDR: Formal (long gowns for the women, tuxes for the men), semi formal (cocktail or short evening dresses for the women, diner jackets or dark suits for the men), and casual (think what used to be referred to as "Sunday go to meeting" or informal dinner at the country club attire).

Edited by Homosassa
Sorry about the double post.

6 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

I cannot understand why people wear flip flops to any restaurant, including the WJ, on a ship. They will be the first to complain when their feet get burnt when someone accidental spills food or drink. 

Are feet safer in sandals? I wear flip flops 6 months out of the year, at home, at restaurants, at bbq’s... Not once has anything been dropped on my feet, I don’t know of anyone who has had hot food or drink dropped on their feet. Is this really a problem in your world? Maybe we should all wear heat proof footwear just in case?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Maybe when they start serving something that does not resemble the food at Golden Corral, then people would feel obligated to dress.  Until then, if I go to the MDR - its khakis and a polo. 

Khakis and a polo would be an upgrade to the T-shirt and shorts we are seeing in the MDR.

At the top tier party, one of the officers asked how we were enjoying the cruise and I commented on how things have changed over the years and that shorts and T-shirts are allowed in the MDR in the evening.  He replied that shorts are not allowed in the MDR. I laughed and invited him to observe the folks shuffling in at feeding time and judge for himself.

I also asked why even bother with dress code suggestions and recommendations and just declare come as you want since that's what is happening and they don't enforce anything anyway?  Just a blank look by way of reply and he moved on.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:26 AM, KimPossible1 said:

Oh my!!! This says a lot about you because you once again put your foot in your mouth, so I give up, lol.  Have a nice day 🙂

he's right though.  people are judged by how they  dress for X occasion.   yes yes  I know..  'wear what you want its your vacation'

whatever.   or, maybe you could have a little respect for your surroundings.   you are a guest in someone's home( okay, ship)   would you go to a sit down dinner at your boss's house dressed in a tee shirt and shorts?  

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 6:48 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Currently sailing on RCI.  The MDR looks like the Golden Corral on Friday night - even on the so-called "formal" night.  Men in shorts, T shirts, flip flops, ball caps. Women in shorts and tank tops.

We read the fine print in the daily Compass and it reads "Dress Suggestion: Formal" and "Please note that short pants, slippers & hats are not reccomended at dinner time.  Bare feet and tank tops will not be permitted in the main dining room"

Suggestions and recommendations apparently have no effect on the mass market crowd.

Rules that aren’t enforced and have zero consequences always will and should be ignored. It’s not their fault, it’s Royal Caribbean’s fault. You are insulting the wrong people.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:12 PM, SargassoPirate said:

I think referring to those who wear T shirts, shorts, and ballcaps to the MDR as bubbas at the trough was indeed a bit harsh.  When I was a young hillbilly growing up, we were taught to dress and behave as young ladies and gentlemen.  Those lessons, carried over to today, have been lost on lots of folks who dress for fine dining in the MDR like a trip to WalMart.

Like it or not, your dress and decorum says a lot 

Except that it’s NOT “fine dining.” Royal Caribbean is not providing you with a fine dining experience, they’re providing you with a Red Lobster experience while encouraging you to role play like it’s fine dining. If you want a real fine dining experience, you need to be directing your venom at Royal or going to a different cruise line, not attacking other passengers.

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I also asked why even bother with dress code suggestions and recommendations and just declare come as you want since that's what is happening and they don't enforce anything anyway?  Just a blank look by way of reply and he moved on.

I think the dress code is published because some would come to the dining room dressed even worse than they do now.  

I am one who feels that how I dress affects my day and I prefer to not look like I just rolled out of bed or came from the beach.  I know it doesn't matter to others how they look and it just shows me that today anyone/everyone can cruise and do pretty much whatever they want on a cruise.

I remember years ago... in the very first few days of basic training my drill sgt. screaming at us about the way we were turned out that morning.. "if you look like a bag of _ _ _ _ you'l act like a bag of _ _ _ _". I'm still thankful for that life lesson.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

Except that it’s NOT “fine dining.” Royal Caribbean is not providing you with a fine dining experience, they’re providing you with a Red Lobster experience while encouraging you to role play like it’s fine dining. If you want a real fine dining experience, you need to be directing your venom at Royal or going to a different cruise line, not attacking other passengers.

Oh my... nobody is directing venom LOL.  Goodness, you'd think we suggested that people be put overboard or something similar.  The OP is just lamenting the changing dress standards that have appeared on cruise ships and wishing it were otherwise.  A few of us happen to agree.  Don't worry though, we are a minority and nobody is going stop you wearing the t-shirt you got at the Lynrd Skynrd concert in 1987 into the main dining room.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, QueenofKrakatoa said:

Jfc I will wear a unicorn onesie to the MDR on my upcoming Oasis cruise just so I can see some of you people have a coronary from clutching your pearls too much over what I wear.

Please wear what you like... Nobody is going to clutch any pearls. But please don't be offended when we play "Guess their vocation" and you hear someone whisper part-time waitress at Mel's diner under their breath as you walk by. Remember it's our vacation and we can do what we like.

Edited by Tree_skier

It's not just the dress code. It's the entitlement attitudes of these exact same people who are on a cruise they probably can't afford anyway. Do the tee-shirts and shorts bother me in the MDR? Of course they do because these are the same people that are going to be cutting in front of me in line and bursting onto an elevator before anybody gets off. These will be the most inconsiderate passengers on the ship, you'll see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Oh my... nobody is directing venom LOL.

<middle bits cut out>

Don't worry though, we are a minority and nobody is going stop you wearing the t-shirt you got at the Lynrd Skynrd concert in 1987 into the main dining room.

References to "mass market steerage," "Golden Corral," and "Wal-Mart"  are all different ways of saying that the people are low class and are pretty blatant insults.

And I always follow the dress code. I just think that insulting people for something that is really Royal Caribbean's fault is way more vulgar than what people are wearing in the MDR.

Edited by wytygr8
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm personally more bothered by a lack of manners and table etiquette than by what someone is wearing. I can't stand to sit across someone who eats like they were raised by a pack of wolves, even if they are wearing a tuxedo.

The only time I'm truly bothered by what someone is wearing at the MDR is if they are wearing a sweaty tank top and their armpits look like they are smuggling Chewbacca in there.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

It's not just the dress code. It's the entitlement attitudes of these exact same people who are on a cruise they probably can't afford anyway. Do the tee-shirts and shorts bother me in the MDR? Of course they do because these are the same people that are going to be cutting in front of me in line and bursting onto an elevator before anybody gets off. These will be the most inconsiderate passengers on the ship, you'll see.

There is very likely some correlation there, but that's no excuse to stereotype the vast majority of those who ignore the the dress code but are otherwise considerate people.

Edited by wytygr8
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tapi said:

I'm personally more bothered by a lack of manners and table etiquette than by what someone is wearing. I can't stand to sit across someone who eats like they were raised by a pack of wolves, even if they are wearing a tuxedo.

The only time I'm truly bothered by what someone is wearing at the MDR is if they are wearing a sweaty tank top and their armpits look like they are smuggling Chewbacca in there.  

I mean, if someone pulled Chewbacca out of their armpits at my table in the MDR, I would be rather impressed.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, wytygr8 said:

References to "mass market steerage," "Golden Corral," and "Wal-Mart"  are all different ways of saying that the people are low class and are pretty blatant insults.

They aren't insults when they are actually correct observations.  Steerage is simply a historical reference to a part of the ship that held passengers with the cheapest tickets.  Golden Corral is what it is and I think it's patrons is a fair comparison to what some would make the MDR on a Royal Caribbean to be.  I shop at Walmart.  Walmart isn't an insult.  How I dress when I go to Walmart and when I go out for good meal are different.  Walmart is representative of a type of appearance incongruent with what some of us would like to see in the MDR of a cruise ship.

If it insults you to be compared to Golden Corral diners and Walmart patrons don't dress like a Golden Corral diner and a Walmart patron when going to the MDR. Remember, it's our vacation too, we can do what we like.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I'm equally bothered by the lack of manners and table etiquette as well but that is not what this thread is about.

By all means start a thread to discuss exposed armpit hair, elbows on the table, improper soup consumption, people who hold their fork in their right hand or unruly children in the MDR.  I'll support you 100%

7 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

And I always follow the dress code. I just think that insulting people for something that is really Royal Caribbean's fault is way more vulgar than what people are wearing in the MDR.

You know what will blow their minds. There are guests in the Coastal Kitchen, which is “finer dining” than the MDR, who wear jeans, shorts, and sandals to dinner and no one really seems to care. 

By wide paint brush assumptions displayed by some, they must be the same folks that drive their leased Lexus or Mercedes to Walmart, and go on cruises they can’t afford to pay for. (written in tongue in check font.)

• Like 2

It's always hilarious to me that someone has such a sad life that they let what someone else wear bother them. Of course it's usually brought up by an old person that thinks RCL is somehow "classy" and that the MDR is actually fine dining. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1