photo package changes

RSF Cruiser

I just got off the Grand Princess Hawaii Cruise (Dec 23-Jan 7). We had pre-purchased the photo package for $199. There have been quite a few posts about the photo package on this forum, plus, we have had it several times before and have always been able to get hard copies and digital files of any photo at least one of us were in. When we gave the photo staff our first group of photos, we were informed the rules have changed. Now, the package includes photos of anyone who purchased the package. We were a group of six passengers in three rooms, so that meant all three rooms had to purchase the package for us to get any photos that had more than my husband and me in it!!! Huh??? I purchase the photo package for the digital files for my photo journal books. I explained that when I purchased the package, and when I've had it before, the package covered any photo that either my husband or I were in, no matter how many other people were in the photo. I was nicely told, not any more. I asked to speak to a manager, and we came up with a compromise that I accepted: the other two rooms purchased a package of 5 photos for $80. So for an additional $160, for a total price of $360, we got what we previously paid $99 or $199. I was able to get all digital files and one hard copy of any picture with anyone from the three rooms. Then, if we wanted a duplicate hard copy, we could order 5 per room. I was told they were making this offer to only those who were familiar with the previous photo package from before the changes.

We did not purchase an additional thumb drive - they were another $10 or $15. Had the other rooms purchased the thumb drive, then they could have gotten the digital files, too. We only wanted one thumb drive so we knew all of the files were in one place. We trade files after the cruise, including photos we have taken with our own cameras... The other offer they made was for $100 per cabin. For $100 each we could have gotten ten hard copies per room.

I'm posting this message so others who are traveling in a group and purchased a photo package will know about the changes. I have no idea if the change is being tested on the Grand, or if the change is fleet wide. Anyone else experience this situation?

Just in case anyone from Princess reads this posting, I will not be purchasing future photo packages. We used to get one or two photos per cruise, but when traveling with a group, it was fun to have the photo package. I'll go back to my old ways of purchasing just a couple of photos (if any), and taking more photos with my own camera... 

On a related note, I took ukulele lessons on board, and the photographers took a picture of the ukulele players at the show. That photo was $25, and I was told it's because it had people in it who had not purchased the package. Well, for $25, I decided the photos taken with personal cameras would do...

5 minutes ago, RSF Cruiser said:

I just got off the Grand Princess Hawaii Cruise (Dec 23-Jan 7). We had pre-purchased the photo package for $199. There have been quite a few posts about the photo package on this forum, plus, we have had it several times before and have always been able to get hard copies and digital files of any photo at least one of us were in. When we gave the photo staff our first group of photos, we were informed the rules have changed. Now, the package includes photos of anyone who purchased the package. We were a group of six passengers in three rooms, so that meant all three rooms had to purchase the package for us to get any photos that had more than my husband and me in it!!! Huh??? I purchase the photo package for the digital files for my photo journal books. I explained that when I purchased the package, and when I've had it before, the package covered any photo that either my husband or I were in, no matter how many other people were in the photo. I was nicely told, not any more. I asked to speak to a manager, and we came up with a compromise that I accepted: the other two rooms purchased a package of 5 photos for $80. So for an additional $160, for a total price of $360, we got what we previously paid $99 or $199. I was able to get all digital files and one hard copy of any picture with anyone from the three rooms. Then, if we wanted a duplicate hard copy, we could order 5 per room. I was told they were making this offer to only those who were familiar with the previous photo package from before the changes.

We did not purchase an additional thumb drive - they were another $10 or $15. Had the other rooms purchased the thumb drive, then they could have gotten the digital files, too. We only wanted one thumb drive so we knew all of the files were in one place. We trade files after the cruise, including photos we have taken with our own cameras... The other offer they made was for $100 per cabin. For $100 each we could have gotten ten hard copies per room.

I'm posting this message so others who are traveling in a group and purchased a photo package will know about the changes. I have no idea if the change is being tested on the Grand, or if the change is fleet wide. Anyone else experience this situation?

Just in case anyone from Princess reads this posting, I will not be purchasing future photo packages. We used to get one or two photos per cruise, but when traveling with a group, it was fun to have the photo package. I'll go back to my old ways of purchasing just a couple of photos (if any), and taking more photos with my own camera... 

On a related note, I took ukulele lessons on board, and the photographers took a picture of the ukulele players at the show. That photo was $25, and I was told it's because it had people in it who had not purchased the package. Well, for $25, I decided the photos taken with personal cameras would do...

Thanks for the comments on your experience with the photo package.

We didn't like the fact that Ultimate Balcony Dinner was not included either.

A few years ago, I had issues with the photographers trying to tell me certain photos were not included in the package. Fortunately I had requested a copy of the T's & C's at the time of purchase and had them with me. With the T's and C's in hand, I was able to show that the relevant photos were not excluded at the time of purchase, and they therefore had to abide by the T's & C's provided at the time of purchase, even if their Promo Material on board later tried to exclude the relevant photos.

In the end they had to relent and provide the relevant photos. 

Edited by Fosters1951
  • Like 2

Wow - that's a big change! We always buy the photo package and usually travel with my mom in a separate room. These rules would mean that our family pictures would not be included unless she also purchased the package? Previously, any pictures she was in by herself would not be included but any with all of us would be. The package wouldn't be cost effective for us anymore if this is the case! Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the detailed update....Unfortunate that people's creativity on how to get the best deal seems to eventually be noticed by the cruise line.  

The one time we had the Package on Majestic in July 2017 our photos were all digital by face recognition and room number. So you would not have been able to share the package with other rooms.

Disappointing for sure....

42 minutes ago, cruise2relax said:

I have tried to locate the current "terms and conditions" for this package online without success.  Anyone that can assist?

Have there ever been terms and conditions.....??  I think it was more creativity by pax on how to use the package and photo department on the ship how to implement them.

Was this photography offered by Princess or from a company hired by Princess?

Does Princess contract out photography services by another company.

On other cruises, the cruise line contracted out photography services and we very satisfied with the service and product offered.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, land lover said:

Thanks for the detailed update....Unfortunate that people's creativity on how to get the best deal seems to eventually be noticed by the cruise line.  

The one time we had the Package on Majestic in July 2017 our photos were all digital by face recognition and room number. So you would not have been able to share the package with other rooms.

Disappointing for sure....

So with face recognition you wouldn't be able to get a photo that had someone else in it as well as yourself, if they had not purchased the package? That's weird. The policy has always been that it includes any picture that the purchaser is in - who or what else was in there shouldn't really be a factor in my opinion. I would never have expected or asked for pictures of my mom on her own since she did not purchase the package but if she was in a family picture with us then I should be entitled to that since I am also in it and I did purchase the package. At least that's how I view it.....

I wonder how far they will take this....so you get a picture taken at the port with one of their cheesy mascots - now that's not included since someone other than yourself is in it? Hmmmm....

9 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Wow - that's a big change! We always buy the photo package and usually travel with my mom in a separate room. These rules would mean that our family pictures would not be included unless she also purchased the package? Previously, any pictures she was in by herself would not be included but any with all of us would be. The package wouldn't be cost effective for us anymore if this is the case! Thanks for the heads up!

Correct. If your Mom didn't purchase the package, you could not get any pictures of you with her in it. I talked with Princess Customer Relations about another issue to day, and asked about the photo package changes. I was told the change was implemented about a year ago and is fleet wide. I'm surprised nothing was mentioned on these boards. At least, I never saw anything about the change discussed here.

37 minutes ago, RSF Cruiser said:

Correct. If your Mom didn't purchase the package, you could not get any pictures of you with her in it. I talked with Princess Customer Relations about another issue to day, and asked about the photo package changes. I was told the change was implemented about a year ago and is fleet wide. I'm surprised nothing was mentioned on these boards. At least, I never saw anything about the change discussed here.

Well I guess that means we won't be buying it any longer then. It would mean going to get pictures taken and asking her not to join us. Nope. Will make do with the ones we take ourselves!

I'm not sure why Princess is making all of these changes, fixing things that weren't broken! As a long time Princess cruiser, it makes me sad to see all the little things that set them apart from other lines slowly disappearing!

40 minutes ago, RSF Cruiser said:

I was told the change was implemented about a year ago and is fleet wide.

We sailed in August last year and had the package and had no problem getting the pictures with all of us in them - and she never had the package then either! Guessing it's another one of those inconsistent things Princess is becoming famous for!

Obviously RSF cruiser had a bad experience.

I am sorry, but I do not believe the policy has changed related to the digital files.

The Terms May have always said that you cannot copy the digital file for other people.  (Just a guess).

I can understand not being able to print multiple photos for group pictures.  I suspect the “issue” was more about making copy of the photos for others.

This is probably why there have not been many reports of people not getting digital copies of group pictures.

We went in July, and I THOUGHT the deal was as you had stated, and that's what I told our group, but when I double checked on the ship, I was told differently.  We had 4 rooms; that meant all 4 rooms had to purchase the $199 package for us to have all photos of us in them.  Our intent was for the parents to purchase it so that any photos with anyone in their room and the rest of us were included in their package.  In the end, we ended up buying a package of some type (it might have been a special that was advertised on the ship) where we got 10 frames and a bunch of 8x10s. 

However, on our next cruise, we're just going to buy 1 or 2 like we used to.  I've been on cruises where I've purchased none.

We have purchased the photo package four times in the past two years. Each time we were able to get all photos taken as long as myself or my husband were in the photo. That was not the case on our last cruise. In October of 2018 on the Grand we actually had to sign a form that we understood only pictures of my husband and myself were included in the package. If other people were in the photo then it was not included in the photo package. 

16 minutes ago, renee222 said:

We have purchased the photo package four times in the past two years. Each time we were able to get all photos taken as long as myself or my husband were in the photo. That was not the case on our last cruise. In October of 2018 on the Grand we actually had to sign a form that we understood only pictures of my husband and myself were included in the package. If other people were in the photo then it was not included in the photo package. 

I would be interested to hear if anyone had had this experience on a ship other than Grand. Both accounts here were on that ship...and we all know how inconsistent Princess can be with their policies!

37 minutes ago, thegoaliegirl said:

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to buy the package for my upcoming cruise, since it is a special occasion but we are traveling in 3 staterooms. For $199 it would have been worth it to have photos of the family. For $600 it definitely is not.

You might be able to get the program we settled on, so the total cost ends up being $459 ($199+80+80) - still a lot of money. Who knows, if I didn't accept the $160 upcharge, maybe they would have gone lower (they started off with charging the other two rooms $250 each for the full package, then lowered it to $100 each and they'd only get 10 hard copy duplicates, and finally $80 each for 5 hard copy duplicates.). There's no risk in prepaying the $199. They were quite agreeable to giving me my $199 back, although they certainly did their best to sell me the add-ons, and, as you see, they were successful!

22 hours ago, renee222 said:

Since I am the skeptical one, I have a question.  When you say it was not included, do you mean you could not get printed photos when other people were in the photo?  Or do you mean that you could not even get any digital photos even other people were in the photo?  Even the Captain or other Princess staff members?

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Since I am the skeptical one, I have a question.  When you say it was not included, do you mean you could not get printed photos when other people were in the photo?  Or do you mean that you could not even get any digital photos even other people were in the photo?  Even the Captain or other Princess staff members?

By other people they meant any other passengers that you might be cruising with on that trip. We did get our port photos, champagne waterfall photo, etc., but you had to purchase any photos that included other passengers. Pictures including printed or on the usb including other passengers were not included in the photo package on the October 2018 Grand sailing. We had purchased the photo package twice before on the Grand and once on the Coral Princess. The rules definitely changed on the Grand.

I was also on the Grand from Dec 23- Jan 7.  We purchased the photo package on board.  When we went to purchase our first pictures, we were told that it only applied to one cabin and we couldn't have people from other cabins in our pictures.  We explained that wouldn't work because we had one son in our cabin, and a 12 year old son staying in another cabin with his grandmother.  We weren't going to buy two packages in order to get family pictures of us and our two sons.  The guy we were working with ran over and cleared it with the photo manager to include both cabins.  He said it was only because we had a minor child staying in another cabin.  Whenever we dealt with someone new, they had to verify that it really was OK to let us have pictures from multiple cabins before we were allowed to take them.  

2 hours ago, atobols said:

I was also on the Grand from Dec 23- Jan 7.  We purchased the photo package on board.  When we went to purchase our first pictures, we were told that it only applied to one cabin and we couldn't have people from other cabins in our pictures.  We explained that wouldn't work because we had one son in our cabin, and a 12 year old son staying in another cabin with his grandmother.  We weren't going to buy two packages in order to get family pictures of us and our two sons.  The guy we were working with ran over and cleared it with the photo manager to include both cabins.  He said it was only because we had a minor child staying in another cabin.  Whenever we dealt with someone new, they had to verify that it really was OK to let us have pictures from multiple cabins before we were allowed to take them.  

So the Grand again? I really do wonder if this is fleet wide or ship specific. If I recall, Princess contracts photography services to an outside company - maybe the current staff on Grand are reading the policy this way and it's not necessarily on all ships? I find it strange that the only reports of the change on this board are from this ship. I am sailing in March so if the question still isn't answered by then, I will check on the Royal - I definitely won't be pre-purchasing as I normally do in case the changes ARE in effect.