Our solution to lack of footrest on EDGE veranda

Caribbean Chris

Returned this morning from the January 6 Western Caribbean sailing of the Edge in an Aqua stateroom. Maybe someone else has posted this suggestion, but since we were forewarned that the Infinite Veranda chairs have no footrests, I ordered a comfortable, inflatable travel foot rest from Walmart ($16.97). It packs flat in a suitcase, is easy to inflate and deflate, and weighs very little, so it was easy to slide it under a chair when not in use. Can be turned sideways for a lower, longer footrest two can share.

Even though we enjoyed Aqua class and Blu, we booked a Sunset Veranda for a future Apex cruise because I found that I definitely prefer a traditional balcony for all the reasons other people have posted The ship was a lot of fun and we had a wonderful time with our friends who traveled with us. 

IMG_1179.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mine is exactly the same (from Amazon). Packing it for cruise next week.  I made sure to get grey to match the rest of the Kelly Hoppen decor! 😊

Now I'm looking for a blow up table....

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, awhfy said:

Love the footrest!  I’ve always brought a small, inflatable beach ball, but that has whetted my interest

I find a large, inflatable beach ball is even better.  Partially inflated it is much more comfortable than the footrests provided on the ships as you can set the firmness/softness to suit yourself.

image.png.d11ca101b85415fd61334d2b82f200f4.png

It packs flat in the suitcase, but the best part is its versatility.

It does double duty as you can easily pick it up with just two fingers (holding it by that little knobby thing that sticks out where you inflate it) and bring it inside to use as a footrest with a couch or chair in the cabin while watching TV.

Or you could even use it as a beach ball. :classic_cool:

Edited by fleckle
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, chemmo said:

Thanks for your review of your room and footrest!

Generally how would you compare your overall ship experience on Edge to Celebrity S/M class?

The best way to describe our overall experience was  - different, more exciting, more cutting edge, more unforgettable. Much more like visiting a brand new land resort than being aboard a ship.

I loved the convenience of using my iphone and the app so many ways. I also loved the very tall chandelier that looms over the martini bar - watching the light show and colors as it changed from silver to gold in response to the musical group below was spectacular.

We were in Aqua class for the first time, and had a top quality experience in Blu with food and service - it was as good or better than we have had in Luminae several times on Solstice Class ships. We also enjoyed visiting the complimentary restaurants for things like Captain's Club breakfast in Tuscan, wine tasting in Normandie, or lunch in Cosmopolitan on sea days. They are all beautifully decorated.

Eden has a lot of spaces on different levels, has a wonderful plant-filled atmosphere, and we enjoyed going there for drinks before dinner with our friends. (We did not eat there.) The entertainers were fun to watch as they strolled around.

I also liked the Roof Top Garden much better than the Lawn Club on Solstice Class. We ate at the grill one very windy evening, and the ribs & accompaniments were really delicious, though overpriced. Lots of comfortable chairs in the garden area.

We were glad that the magic carpet could be used as a free venue (without having to pay a big premium for dinner). It was often parked on one of the upper decks, and we could stroll in, sit in comfy chairs and sofas, and just enjoy a drink in the sunshine, as if it were a breezy solarium with a bar.

One big negative was the decibel level of music everywhere, whether live or recorded. Others I talked to agreed that the ship had very few places to escape the electronic music - it was blasting away at 7 a.m. in the Oceanview Cafe, and mid-evening in the otherwise serene Roof Top Garden. 

Even though the S class ships don't have much in the way of promenade decks, this ship has far less, and I miss it. (I love the Holland America Line-style full promenades.) There are snippets of promenade space here and there down on deck five, but you have to go up to the top levels to find a more complete sea view in public areas.

It was interesting that there seemed to be very little emphasis on things like Park West Auctions or shopping. Never any flyers sent to the cabin promoting anything, which was refreshing. None of the "poolside sales" with piles of small items and tee shirts. Another passenger commented to me that there was really nothing she could buy in the shop to take home as little gifts to family and friends. All the merchandise was very high priced.

So - bottom line, it was more exciting to be on a shiny new ship with so many surprises - but overall somewhat less relaxing than our past Celebrity cruises. I'm really looking forward to our Silhouette cruise in November for a more traditional cruise experience.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

The best way to describe our overall experience was  - different, more exciting, more cutting edge, more unforgettable. Much more like visiting a brand new land resort than being aboard a ship.

I loved the convenience of using my iphone and the app so many ways. I also loved the very tall chandelier that looms over the martini bar - watching the light show and colors as it changed from silver to gold in response to the musical group below was spectacular.

We were in Aqua class for the first time, and had a top quality experience in Blu with food and service - it was as good or better than we have had in Luminae several times on Solstice Class ships. We also enjoyed visiting the complimentary restaurants for things like Captain's Club breakfast in Tuscan, wine tasting in Normandie, or lunch in Cosmopolitan on sea days. They are all beautifully decorated.

Eden has a lot of spaces on different levels, has a wonderful plant-filled atmosphere, and we enjoyed going there for drinks before dinner with our friends. (We did not eat there.) The entertainers were fun to watch as they strolled around.

I also liked the Roof Top Garden much better than the Lawn Club on Solstice Class. We ate at the grill one very windy evening, and the ribs & accompaniments were really delicious, though overpriced. Lots of comfortable chairs in the garden area.

We were glad that the magic carpet could be used as a free venue (without having to pay a big premium for dinner). It was often parked on one of the upper decks, and we could stroll in, sit in comfy chairs and sofas, and just enjoy a drink in the sunshine, as if it were a breezy solarium with a bar.

One big negative was the decibel level of music everywhere, whether live or recorded. Others I talked to agreed that the ship had very few places to escape the electronic music - it was blasting away at 7 a.m. in the Oceanview Cafe, and mid-evening in the otherwise serene Roof Top Garden. 

Even though the S class ships don't have much in the way of promenade decks, this ship has far less, and I miss it. (I love the Holland America Line-style full promenades.) There are snippets of promenade space here and there down on deck five, but you have to go up to the top levels to find a more complete sea view in public areas.

It was interesting that there seemed to be very little emphasis on things like Park West Auctions or shopping. Never any flyers sent to the cabin promoting anything, which was refreshing. None of the "poolside sales" with piles of small items and tee shirts. Another passenger commented to me that there was really nothing she could buy in the shop to take home as little gifts to family and friends. All the merchandise was very high priced.

So - bottom line, it was more exciting to be on a shiny new ship with so many surprises - but overall somewhat less relaxing than our past Celebrity cruises. I'm really looking forward to our Silhouette cruise in November for a more traditional cruise experience.

Thanks for the review! Thanks for letting us know about the CC wine tasting in Normandie. We usually don't do the CC wine tasting anymore, but would definitely do it in Normandie - I would do just about anything offered in that space! 🙂  Do you remember which day of the cruise that was held?

Sorry to hear about the loud music - it wasn't that way in Dec - not looking forward to it next week, if it continues. I agree about less sales - we never had a sales pitch and since they don't want to give us paper, there are less paper ads. I had heard that they might use the app to send you ads as you walked by that area (using the GPS) - we didn't have it happen - maybe in the future (though you can disable notifications).

What did you think of the IV?

Thanks!! 🙂

I just ordered 2 of the inflatable footrests online.  I'm going to start submitting these little bills to Celebrity - in Concierge, you normally get foot stools period.  But, we are in a regular verandah next January of 2020 so we can also use those then as well.  Thanks for the great advice.

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks for the review! Thanks for letting us know about the CC wine tasting in Normandie. We usually don't do the CC wine tasting anymore, but would definitely do it in Normandie - I would do just about anything offered in that space! 🙂  Do you remember which day of the cruise that was held?

Sorry to hear about the loud music - it wasn't that way in Dec - not looking forward to it next week, if it continues....

...What did you think of the IV?

Thanks!! 🙂

Hi, VT, and thanks for the amazing wealth of info you gave to all of us about Edge!

The CC wine tasting was on the second morning of our January 6 sailing - so it was January 8, a sea day, at 11 a.m. in Normandie.

By the way, earlier that morning, the Cruise Critic Connections Party (100+ had signed up) got messed up unfortunately because cruise staff had double booked Eden for Trivia. So essentially there was no Cruise Critic party and we all played Trivia using our iPhones (fun), and many slipped out early to make it for the wine tasting. Just one of those things - a communications and scheduling slip up.

The very loud recorded music seemed to go down a notch as the week wore on. Maybe many of us wrote notes about it on the early-in-the-Cruise stateroom cards requesting comments.

i thought the IV was too small, and not useful in the same way a larger true balcony can be for sunning with your feet up, having a drink, popping out for checking on the air temperature, enjoying room service, etc.

To me, it was more of a source of light - a wonderful picture window wall that we lowered a few times. It was and awkward to move furniture to pull the attractive French doors closed so we only did that twice. And I prefer draperies close to the room versus the blackout shade close to the glass.

Others may like it better than a traditional balcony. There’s something for everyone in the world of cruising.

2 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Hi, VT, and thanks for the amazing wealth of info you gave to all of us about Edge!

The CC wine tasting was on the second morning of our January 6 sailing - so it was January 8, a sea day, at 11 a.m. in Normandie.

By the way, earlier that morning, the Cruise Critic Connections Party (100+ had signed up) got messed up unfortunately because cruise staff had double booked Eden for Trivia. So essentially there was no Cruise Critic party and we all played Trivia using our iPhones (fun), and many slipped out early to make it for the wine tasting. Just one of those things - a communications and scheduling slip up.

The very loud recorded music seemed to go down a notch as the week wore on. Maybe many of us wrote notes about it on the early-in-the-Cruise stateroom cards requesting comments.

i thought the IV was too small, and not useful in the same way a larger true balcony can be for sunning with your feet up, having a drink, popping out for checking on the air temperature, enjoying room service, etc.

To me, it was more of a source of light - a wonderful picture window wall that we lowered a few times. It was and awkward to move furniture to pull the attractive French doors closed so we only did that twice. And I prefer draperies close to the room versus the blackout shade close to the glass.

Others may like it better than a traditional balcony. There’s something for everyone in the world of cruising.

Thanks for the IV review. I think you are right in that they will work well for some, but not others.

Happy to hear that the music was toned down as the week went on - it sounds like they are trying to find a balance. I was also happy to hear that they had the mid-cruise comment cards (they sure hated to give out anything on paper on that ship 😉). We didn't get them, but I was only on short cruises. I did give a lot of details in my electronic survey after the cruise.

I always sign up for the CC connections party, but there seems to be an issue most times with communication. Our roll call for next week has >130 people signed up for the party. Should be interesting to see what they do with us. I think I may try the wine tasting though, if it is in Normandie.

I'm getting giddy about getting back onboard! Thanks for your comments!

Okay, sorry OP for the diversion - inquiring minds wanted to know....😉

Caribbean  Chris

Was your  bed by the balcony or bath?   If by the balcony did it present any problems that you would have preferred it by the bath. 

How was the Spa, in room shower and Blu?

Did you utilize the open window much?

thanks

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:55 PM, Tao Diva said:

Blow up furniture? Brilliant! 

And here I was thinking about making a lounging nest out of Kelly Hoppin pillows. (I still might) but this is a much more dignified solution. 

If you get a curtain to hang with the footrest it's free shipping!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Nymich said:

If you get a curtain to hang with the footrest it's free shipping!

Free shipping even without a curtain if you get them from Amazon.

We also love those big beach ball footrests.

Intex Jumbo Inflatable Ball: $9.00

or

Intex Jumbo Inflatable 42" Giant Beach Ball - 2 count $14.27

On Caribbean cruises, a store right at the dock in Antigua also had them for $10, and a small pump to inflate them for $5.

I don't remember the name, but it was a water sports type store up on the second level of the shopping area at Heritage Quay, very close to the ship.

7 hours ago, varoo said:

Free shipping even without a curtain if you get them from Amazon.

We also love those big beach ball footrests.

Intex Jumbo Inflatable Ball: $9.00

or

Intex Jumbo Inflatable 42" Giant Beach Ball - 2 count $14.27

On Caribbean cruises, a store right at the dock in Antigua also had them for $10, and a small pump to inflate them for $5.

I don't remember the name, but it was a water sports type store up on the second level of the shopping area at Heritage Quay, very close to the ship.

The whole thread is insane.  You are talking about bringing beach balls and inflatable footrests for a cruise that you paid thousands of dollars for.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2019 at 3:20 AM, fleckle said:

I find a large, inflatable beach ball is even better.  Partially inflated it is much more comfortable than the footrests provided on the ships as you can set the firmness/softness to suit yourself.

image.png.d11ca101b85415fd61334d2b82f200f4.png

Or you could even use it as a beach ball. :classic_cool:

OMG - that's hilarious:classic_laugh:  You'd think with the prices they're charging on Edge, they could provide footrests :classic_wink:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nymich said:

The whole thread is insane.  You are talking about bringing beach balls and inflatable footrests for a cruise that you paid thousands of dollars for.  

........ also don't forget the curtains, and the hooks to hang them up, and  bringing your own storage containers for those ridiculous storage cabinets high over the beds on the S-class ships, and bringing extra electrical devices to create additional outlets for plugging in electronics.

That's the Celebrity slogan --  modern luxury!

Modern Luxury Only Found on Celebrity Cruises

Edited by varoo
  • Haha 1

Good idea about the inflatable foot rests.  I'm tired of using the little table on most balconies as a foot rest.

I think most of the concepts on Edge and Apex are fascinating.  I don't like reading reviews because those

are just a stranger's opinion. I like to try everything for myself before passing judgement.

We'll be on Apex next May.