Is Celebrity Listening- Grand Cafe Closed

MVPinBoynton

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm looking at the daily planners for the Dec. 16th cruise and there's no reference to the Grand Plaza Cafe anywhere. The only place I see it listed is the the little ship directory that's given out. Strangely, in that reference guide it's listed under lounges rather than under dining. Anyway, none of the daily planners has a listing for it whether in lounges or dining. That's why I have no idea what this is! 

You made me go pull out my dailies. On the Dec. 9 cruise,, the Grand Plaza Cafe is listed under Casual Dining. Breakfast 7-9:30 on port days, and 7:30- 10 on sea days.  Then lunch 12-2:30 everyday.

They must have killed it after the Dec 9 cruise. Probable didn't get a lot of traffic, as it is kind of hidden. 

The Grand Plaza Cafe seating is the bunch of tables to the left of the Martini Bar.  What you can't see is the kiosk as it is further back on the left and can't be seen in the picture.

I know the seating probably looks like it belongs to the Martini Bar but it doesn't.

Hi Folks ~ I just got off Edge last week.  Le Grand Cafe is on deck 4.  We had lunch there.  The Martini Bar is on deck 3.  The deck plan is VERY confusing.

The Martini Bar sits on a platform on deck 3 with a dance floor and an area for a band.  There is seating a few steps below the Martini Bar (still technically deck 3) and also a few steps up from the Martini bar.

From here you go up to deck 4 where you'll find Cafe al Bacio on the Starboard side of the ship and Le Grand Cafe on the Port side of the ship.  Deck 5 features the Fine Cut Steakhouse (above the Grand Cafe) and Raw on Five (above al Bacio).  

The open area that spans all of these decks is known as the Grand Foyer (different from Le Grand Cafe which was as specialty restaurant where Le Petite Chef was at night).

I'm shocked that they've closed it.  Our daughter said her burger at Le Grand Cafe was the best she's ever had.  Interesting.  BUT I just went back and read Mike's original post and Le Grand Cafe isn't next to the Martini Bar....it's on the deck above the Martini Bar.  Hmmmm......now I'm confused.

Mike, come back and give us more details.

17 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

Hi Folks ~ I just got off Edge last week.  Le Grand Cafe is on deck 4.  We had lunch there.  The Martini Bar is on deck 3.  The deck plan is VERY confusing.

The Martini Bar sits on a platform on deck 3 with a dance floor and an area for a band.  There is seating a few steps below the Martini Bar (still technically deck 3) and also a few steps up from the Martini bar.

From here you go up to deck 4 where you'll find Cafe al Bacio on the Starboard side of the ship and Le Grand Cafe on the Port side of the ship.  Deck 5 features the Fine Cut Steakhouse (above the Grand Cafe) and Raw on Five (above al Bacio).  

The open area that spans all of these decks is known as the Grand Foyer (different from Le Grand Cafe which was as specialty restaurant where Le Petite Chef was at night).

I'm shocked that they've closed it.  Our daughter said her burger at Le Grand Cafe was the best she's ever had.  Interesting.  BUT I just went back and read Mike's original post and Le Grand Cafe isn't next to the Martini Bar....it's on the deck above the Martini Bar.  Hmmmm......now I'm confused.

Mike, come back and give us more details.

You're confusing locations. Are you talking about LE GRAND BISTRO which had a $10 cover charge? If so, that's NOT the space in question. A space called Grand Plaza Cafe was never open or listed on the Dec. 16th sailing. 

I was referring to the Grand Plaza Cafe.  All they have really closed is cafe ordering area. Not very large. It is on Deck 3 next to the Martini Bar. When I first saw it closed, I asked an officer about it at the Meet and Mingle. He said they are looking at changing it.  I went back to take pics of the area and what is closed isn’t that big unfortunately, so won’t have much effect. Plus it backs up to a hallway, so my first impression was a bit over zealous.  Sorry. But we are living the Edge. 

8 hours ago, kwokpot said:

You're confusing locations. Are you talking about LE GRAND BISTRO which had a $10 cover charge? If so, that's NOT the space in question. A space called Grand Plaza Cafe was never open or listed on the Dec. 16th sailing. 

Thank you. I thought I was losing my mind. We sat at virtually the same table night after night ...facing that corner and all I saw were people enjoying cocktails like us. 

Since the initial photos were released, I wondered how much use that food station would actually get. The only benefit I saw was the ability to grab a quick snack before going to port or something to nosh on while having a martini. That being said, I’m curious how much more seating it will truly create by eliminating it. I quite like their concept of having a central gathering area to create a European hotel lobby party feel. I just wish they made it bigger. It seems like it could get very loud and crowded during sea days.

Grand Plaza Cafe on 3 in the corner was open for coffee and breakfast items in the morning and mini sandwiches and desserts 12-2:30. Whenever I went through there, it was empty. It looked good, but my guess is that maybe it was underutilized - Cafe al Bacio has similar desserts and pastries that are free and Eden has better breakfast and lunch choices and is also free.

When I first saw the names, Le Grand Bistro and Grand Plaza Cafe, I thought that people would get those mixed up. I guess it won't be a problem now. 🙂

Breakfast items:

image.thumb.png.65ac0dd178b15c8eff9b0d2895d35312.png

Lunch Items:

image.thumb.png.25ce619b86d1e22bbcb5ba5bc0f47378.png

image.thumb.png.99edb9ff3b9f0760d5ba48588b9f34be.png

Edited by vtcruising

Okay... compare these two photos (one is in the link).... look closely to the left of the Martini bar... Photo one with the Christmas tree... is the way I saw it during the Dec 16 sailing... look there are tables and chairs in the corner. The other photo was in a story written by someone on one of the early 3 day cruises... look in the corner and you see the stuff VT has shots of... So by the second inaugural sailing they had already made the change... that is fast work... now if they can just make the IV verandas bigger.... lol.  I am really glad that I am not going any more nutty than I already am...

scroll down to martini bar...look into the left corner

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 12.19.38 PM.png

Edited by kearney
oops removed photo from news story replaced with link

10 minutes ago, kearney said:

Okay... compare these two photos (one is in the link).... look closely to the left of the Martini bar... Photo one with the Christmas tree... is the way I saw it during the Dec 16 sailing... look there are tables and chairs in the corner. The other photo was in a story written by someone on one of the early 3 day cruises... look in the corner and you see the stuff VT has shots of... So by the second inaugural sailing they had already made the change... that is fast work... now if they can just make the IV verandas bigger.... lol.  I am really glad that I am not going any more nutty than I already am...

And here I thought you had had too many martinis so that's why you missed it. 😉

12 minutes ago, kearney said:

Great comparison! This CLEARLY shows what the situation is. In my photo with the Christmas tree,which IS from the 12.16 sailing, it is now obvious that they closed off the food service counters which is that screened-in backdrop to the left of the Martini Bar and behind those chairs and tables. If they remove those counters and incorporate it into the general seating -(banquettes?) it will definitely provide more room around the Martini Bar!

Edited by kwokpot

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Grand Plaza Cafe on 3 in the corner was open for coffee and breakfast items in the morning and mini sandwiches and desserts 12-2:30. Whenever I went through there, it was empty. It looked good, but my guess is that maybe it was underutilized - Cafe al Bacio has similar desserts and pastries that are free and Eden has better breakfast and lunch choices and is also free.

When I first saw the names, Le Grand Bistro and Grand Plaza Cafe, I thought that people would get those mixed up. I guess it won't be a problem now. 🙂

Breakfast items:

image.thumb.png.65ac0dd178b15c8eff9b0d2895d35312.png

Lunch Items:

image.thumb.png.25ce619b86d1e22bbcb5ba5bc0f47378.png

image.thumb.png.99edb9ff3b9f0760d5ba48588b9f34be.png

We saw that area on the Dec. 9 cruise. I thought it was rather strange, and redundant, that they were offering basically the same items as Cafe al Baccio on the opposite side of the ship. I'm sure the area will be put to better use, such as more comfortable and plentiful seating for the Martini Bar. 

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

We saw that area on the Dec. 9 cruise. I thought it was rather strange, and redundant, that they were offering basically the same items as Cafe al Baccio on the opposite side of the ship. I'm sure the area will be put to better use, such as more comfortable and plentiful seating for the Martini Bar. 

Since it's already plumbed with water connections, would it make sense to put on a bar with an Ice top in that area? I know it's not particularly large but maybe even something like on the S-class where there's that additional area next to the Martini Bar; just a thought. 

The other quick fix for additional bar space would be creating a bar on the opposite end of the large Cafe Al Bacio space. 

Edited by kwokpot

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

And here I thought you had had too many martinis so that's why you missed it. 😉

This was the first time we had a drink package and yes I was beginning to wonder.... you know how I obsess with all things Edge. That was a quick change if it was there on the 12/9 cruise...but gone by 12/16.... must have used Santa's elves to make the transformation that fast.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Since it's already plumbed with water connections, would it make sense to put on a bar with an Ice top in that area? I know it's not particularly large but maybe even something like on the S-class where there's that additional area next to the Martini Bar; just a thought. 

The other quick fix for additional bar space would be creating a bar on the opposite end of the large Cafe Al Bacio space. 

In my opinion, Cafe al Baccio is perfect the way it is with plenty of seating... “if it ain’t broke...” 😉

I do like your idea of making the existing plumbed space into an additional Martini bar with an ice top though.

Edited by C-Dragons

So if that area is closed NOW and they already placed tables there to expand seating.... are they now... per comment by kwokpot... making an additional changes? IE placing a bar area there... While it likely takes away some new seating... the wait staff would not have to go through the service door to get some of the cocktails... perhaps add a couple more bar tenders... while slightly fewer places to sit.. at least more bar tenders?

26 minutes ago, kearney said:

So if that area is closed NOW and they already placed tables there to expand seating.... are they now... per comment by kwokpot... making an additional changes? IE placing a bar area there... While it likely takes away some new seating... the wait staff would not have to go through the service door to get some of the cocktails... perhaps add a couple more bar tenders... while slightly fewer places to sit.. at least more bar tenders?

I just wish they would add more bartenders to the main Martini Bar.  They have been only having 3, not enough. 

53 minutes ago, SeaPete said:

2105598215_IMG_00252.thumb.jpeg.df1a4dd360d1f6de2947774a280ace01.jpegThis photo is from Dec 1 cruise

Great photo! This confirms my idea of using the food counter as a Ice Topped bar. You could literally leave the configuration the same. Remove the showcase and remove the counter where the coffee machines are. Bar stools, ICE Topped bar - best solution!