Edge Review - Exceptional - Hits - Misses - Failures - Edenists

Host Anne

I think I missed answering a question about why we made the move to a Sky Suite....did I think I wouldn't have liked staying in the IV for a week?  We could have definitely stayed in the IV for a week but I didn't care for it at all.  It's not a veranda.  It's a slightly larger room with a large window that opens.  My husband likened it to a train window.  The portion of the floor that serves as the extra space is about 18 inches or so shorter than that of a standard veranda and the entire cabin feels more narrow (it may not be but it felt that way).  We definitely debated whether or not to move.  I'm glad we did as the Sky Suite was far more spacious and the veranda was very nice.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the balanced review. We will be sailing in late February on the Edge and have concerns about the IV not feeling like a verandah, but we will give it a try. I prefer not to be in direct sunlight when looking for lounge chairs on deck, so it may work out well for us. On the flip side, if it feels more like a window than a shady space in the outdoors we will probably be disappointed. There is so much to explore, I'm sure we will be able to deal with it for the week, regardless!

Really enjoyed the detail and substance of your review Anne. I agree with you on a few of the misses (too many high end shopping venues and the lack of simpler stores, & lack of activities). 

I was glad to see them using electronics and less paper. Absolutely thrilled to see NO park west flyers littering my door, so to me the trade off was a good one. I actually liked the IV simply because it adds a good deal of floor space, and I spend far more time in the room than I do on the balcony.

Thanks again for your observations and photos, I really enjoyed everything you contributed.

Great Review Anne!  I can agree with much of what you said.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that the Pool deck chairs won’t allow you to sit up straight.  Makes it harder to read. And, the Bathroom door magnet is very strong. We ended up turning the lock on the door, and just letting it close that way. So, it didn't completely close tight, but at least we didn't have to deal with the magnet.

Many thanks, Host Anne, for the perfectly balanced and insightful review of Edge.  You shared a lot of excellent information that was very well organized and specific.  I also liked  your idea about Eden, as background information would provide some reason and purpose for understanding the characters.  So glad that you found many things to enjoy with family!

Edited by Lastdance

Thanks for such a great review, I love the way you broke it down by hits and misses. I also LOVE the idea of the playbill for Eden. Did you happen to suggest this to Celebrity in your post-cruise survey or onboard?

2 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

Great review!  I'm in an IV and a little nervous that I'll just hate it and that makes no sense.  Even if I don't prefer it I can't let it ruin my cruise before I've even taken it, lol.  Really good review though.

Vermonter....you are correct.  The IV wouldn't have ruined our cruise.  I just didn't like it and wouldn't book it again.  But keep an open mind.  You'll still be on a new ship that has many positive aspects.  Enjoy....we did!

• Like 1

johhnnyt ~ I removed my review from your post because it is so long.  Thanks for your comments.

I understand some folks will like the IVs and that's great.  Definitely gives you a bit more space in the cabin.  It's just not my preference.  Perhaps if there was a better balance of traditional verandas and IVs it would make more sense.  Time will tell....

• Like 1

ecslady ~ dang....why didn't I think about turning the lock on the bathroom door?  I'm going to add that to my "Tips!"  I'm up a time or two each night to use the bathroom and there was no getting away from waking my husband up every time I closed the door.  Thanks for the great tip!

Ali ~ yes, I let several people know that a Playbill type sheet on Eden and the cast would really be helpful.  Right now, the majority of the guests have no idea what's happening or why.  A little synopsis would go a long way.  I loved the kids in the cast and I think passengers would enjoy knowing a little bit about them and their characters.  It should be an easy fix and help everyone enjoy the show more.

Thank you for the great review.  I really liked the format.  I have a question that I saw discussed early on, but nothing lately.  Do you have to put your seapass into a device to make the ac work?  If so, would another card work?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

Thank you for the great review.  I really liked the format.  I have a question that I saw discussed early on, but nothing lately.  Do you have to put your seapass into a device to make the ac work?  If so, would another card work?

Thanks

No....you do not put your Seapass into anything to make the A/C work but your veranda window (IVs) or veranda door (regular balconies) MUST be closed and locked for the A/C to work.  It doesn't have anything to do with your Seapass.

I didn't mention that you can get your Seapass activated on your app but then you have to always have your phone with you which I don't want to do.  So I used my Seapass the entire cruise.  You do just "tap" the touchpad on your door with your Seapass to open the cabin.  

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide a truly detailed and meaningful review. It is probably the most useful review we have ever had the pleasure of reading.

Our take is clearly that the Edge class is designed to appeal to the younger generations and their pursuit of "experiences".

Clearly Celebrity is attempting to establish themselves in the "luxury cruising" category by doubling the number of suites on S class ships.

Definitely believe that having non-cruisers design the ship contents was a risky undertaking that perhaps was ill advised.

At the current price point of about $350-400 per person per day for a veranda we will pass on the Edge.

12 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

The Playbill is a great idea EXCEPT it is printed on paper. They would have to make it digital on the App. Works for me and there is Zero cost to X and it can be done in about 30 minutes. 

Let’s start a petition. 

In the dailies they usually highlighted entertainers with a blurb (had a different one each day, such as a write up about the Reckless Charms or the comedian we had). Maybe one of the days they could give a synopsis of the Eden show with a picture of the main characters labeled with names (Doom, Gloom, Bloom, etc.) and put the same blurb on the app. That way there won't be extra paper.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

The Playbill is a great idea EXCEPT it is printed on paper. They would have to make it digital on the App. Works for me and there is Zero cost to X and it can be done in about 30 minutes. 

Let’s start a petition. 

RIC ~ I have to tell you that there are still alot of people who want things on paper.  It would be very difficult to easily read a synopsis and cast bios on the app.  There's nothing wrong with paper as long as they recycle it.  I guarantee you that there were a lot of people who didn't use the app or don't want to.  I liked the app but I do not want to carry my phone with me.

I'm very happy that they have cut down on the amount of paper they threw in our door every day, but there isn't anything wrong with giving us something printed now and then.  In fact, they could create laminated Playbill type sheets that stay in Eden (have a box at the door where they can be picked up and dropped off) so they aren't just printing paper.  

First of all thanks for a brilliant review - it must have taken an age to write !!!

Just one question re this area outside Eden on deck 5. I've been asking (many times) re this area as some others have noted that they play loud music from Eden out here at night . I am really, really worried about it as we are on deck 8 in a cabin above this area. :classic_unsure:

Just wondering if you think this area is pretty quiet and if you noticed any noise.

We are currently checking this out with Celebrity and may want to change cabin as they told us (repeatedly) that it is quiet ..

Many thanks for any help you can give, and thanks again for a brilliant review

:classic_smile:

21 minutes ago, cruisegoal100 said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide a truly detailed and meaningful review. It is probably the most useful review we have ever had the pleasure of reading.

Our take is clearly that the Edge class is designed to appeal to the younger generations and their pursuit of "experiences".

Clearly Celebrity is attempting to establish themselves in the "luxury cruising" category by doubling the number of suites on S class ships.

Definitely believe that having non-cruisers design the ship contents was a risky undertaking that perhaps was ill advised.

At the current price point of about $350-400 per person per day for a veranda we will pass on the Edge.

I think you are correct about appealing to a younger demographic but our daughter and son-in-law (millenials) felt pretty much the same as I did.  Our son-in-law is in the tech business and while he appreciated many of the tech-related things found on Edge, even they didn't want to carry around their mobile devices all day.  

The average passenger on our cruise was still an over 55 crowd.  I don't think a ton of kids in their late 20s/early 30s can afford to cruise on Edge.  Even the inside cabin that our daughter and son-in-law were in is more than the average cruise we've taken in the past few years.  There weren't any activities that interested them (I'll be posting the activities sheets soon).  

23 minutes ago, emmy said:

Thanks for the review Anne. Will be sailing a EDGE in March and the IV is a concern for me. Well put together review. Will recommend friends to read this 

EMMY !!!!!  It's been a long, long time!  I still have my pink boa  😀

I'll be anxious to hear what you think.  I wouldn't be nervous about an IV....it's just different and something I didn't care for.  But it certainly shouldn't ruin anyone's cruise.  ENJOY....I know you will.  

24 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

In the dailies they usually highlighted entertainers with a blurb (had a different one each day, such as a write up about the Reckless Charms or the comedian we had). Maybe one of the days they could give a synopsis of the Eden show with a picture of the main characters labeled with names (Doom, Gloom, Bloom, etc.) and put the same blurb on the app. That way there won't be extra paper.

Didn't you love the cast names....we kept telling our daughter when she has triplets she can name them Bloom, Gloom and Doom!!!!  :classic_biggrin: