Edge Review - Exceptional - Hits - Misses - Failures - Edenists

Host Anne

25 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry, me again :-)

Just wondering if you can walk past those outdoor tables while folk are dining.

FYI (and for others who may not know), when quoting a post with attachments, you can click on the pictures and hit delete to remove them before reposting all of them again with a 2 line reply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

FYI (and for others who may not know), when quoting a post with attachments, you can click on the pictures and hit delete to remove them before reposting all of them again with a 2 line reply.

Thanks - had not idea about that one. Have only just found the icons beneath the love hearts !!! Will take note next time

19 hours ago, vtcruising said:

There were a couple of reports that there was smoking on one side of the Eden outdoor space (not sure which) on the TA over from France with crew, etc., but that it was banned soon after others boarded due to complaints (I remember someone saying it was on either the Shakedown cruise or the Nov 25-27 cruise. Not sure if it was a rumor or not - I'd have to look back at those posts - I think we had a smoking thread on the Edge Forum or it could have been in the Blocks thread.

Those port and starboard outside areas were billed as areas to take your Eden Cafe food and Eden Bar drinks outside to eat and drink. It is a lovely area and I hope to take my Eden Cafe sandwich out there next week.  🙂

Thanks for the location info..we will find.. so cute and cozy!

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

Huh..Thanks..I will try that next time..just click the pics...

On 1/15/2019 at 3:39 PM, Host Anne said:

Man, I think I need to amend my review as I just remembered something going through my photos.  They no longer print ALL those photos they take of you!!!!!  Talk about saving paper!  This is one place I've been hoping for years that they'd cutback on paper usage.  

You now walk up to kiosk, tap your seapass and all your photos pop up.  They are using facial recognition.  Kudos for finally doing this, Celebrity!

IMG_6690.JPG

They stopped printing the photos on Solstice this last year and have added displays now.  That was the case in May, and I understand it had been that way for a few months.  It is supposed to roll across the rest of the fleet shortly.  

5 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry, me again 🙂

Just wondering if you can walk past those outdoor tables while folk are dining.

Yes, you can, but I'm not sure how many would do so. It's not like a real promenade - it is diverted here and there. It felt like people would go out and be in the Eden space and re-enter Eden or go out of FCSH  space (the screen at the end of FCSH acts as a division of the areas), unless things have changed.

5 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

when quoting a post with

In case anyone finds this helpful, in addition to MisterBill99’s great tip in post #101, you can easily quote just a portion of a post by using your finger to press your screen on one of the words you wish to quote, moving the blue brackets to encompass what you want to quote, and selecting the little “quote post” button that should have appeared when you initially pressed the screen. I hope this makes sense😉

Edited by Silkroad

22 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

In case anyone finds this helpful, in addition to MisterBill99’s great tip in post #101, you can easily quote just a portion of a post by using your finger to press your screen on one of the words you wish to quote, moving the blue brackets to encompass what you want to quote, and selecting the little “quote post” button that should have appeared when you initially pressed the screen. I hope this makes sense😉

Tht assumes you're on a mobile device or something with a touch screen. Otherwise you just select what you want to quote (same concept).

Also, once you post, if you realize that you've quoted too much (including photos), you can edit the post to remove the extra stuff. You can only edit within a set amount of time, I think 20-30 minutes (used to be 20 but seems to be a little longer now, at least it appears that way).

Edited by MisterBill99

22 hours ago, Host Anne said:

Have you experienced Eden?

FYI  B Rizzle is a non cruiser who is very pro EDEN but has not disclosed her interest.. I no longer follow her posts.

Sorry to be prudish but the pic you posted of the woman being held upside down  shows her bottom  partly exposed,.,..not very classy!  We may take a peek ( pun intended)  but  are not planning on  sitting through it. The  music  is the main reason but the more we see  of it the less we want to see it!

We are looking forward to one or two of the theater shows and some of the music  groups and solos.  It is nice that X has returned to live music on board!.

34 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Aha..thanks  to you and Mr Bill for these tips..

23 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sorry to be prudish but the pic you posted of the woman being held upside down  shows her bottom  partly exposed,.,..not very classy!  We may take a peek ( pun intended)  but  are not planning on  sitting through it. The  music  is the main reason but the more we see  of it the less we want to see it!

Doesn't appear to be anything more than you'll see at the pool.

We were on the same sailing as Anne, and I totally agree with her well balanced and thoughtful review.  We also had an  infinite veranda state room on deck eight and I was concerned about the IV having read the reviews before we boarded.  I tried not to let it bother me because when I called about making a change to a standard balcony we were quoted *twice* the price of what I booked the cruise for 2 years ago, so there was no way we could make a cabin change.  First off, I think it is a beautiful ship, I loved the soft tones in the cabin and public areas.  It felt like a nice hotel.  A balcony is a large part of the cruise experience for me and as everyone has stated, the IV is NOT a balcony, it is a porch. Had I not seen what I was getting via pictures posted on the boards prior to our cruise, I would have been very disappointed when I found myself basically looking out a window to see the ocean.   The only upside is unfortunately I had a cold while on this trip and so we spent most evenings after dinner sitting in the room, reading and relaxing. Because of the infinite veranda we could lower the window and enjoyed hearing the waves for hours in the evening without the room becoming too warm.  We kept the sliding glass doors open the entire cruise and I didn’t feel that the cabin was too small.  I thought the storage areas were very well thought out (other than the bathroom door hook needing to be longer) and we could keep everything out of site easily.  

I’m not sorry we tried the infinite veranda room.  I was very curious what it was about when I booked it two years ago and now I know. When I book it again for another cruise?  No. I would find a balcony room I could afford, or I would not go on the ship. From what I saw the prices are too high right now and I do not think it is worth what they are charging.  It is really unfortunate that they made such a large percentage of the staterooms with infinite verandas  The ship is absolutely beautiful, without a doubt the nicest decor for my taste of the 30 cruises we’ve taken on Cunard, Princess, RCCL, Disney and Celebrity.

I very much appreciated all the tips before our cruise, if you have any questions, just ask!

34 minutes ago, Summertimescallingme said:

We were on the same sailing as Anne, and I totally agree with her well balanced and thoughtful review.  We also had an  infinite veranda state room on deck eight and I was concerned about the IV having read the reviews before we boarded.  I tried not to let it bother me because when I called about making a change to a standard balcony we were quoted *twice* the price of what I booked the cruise for 2 years ago, so there was no way we could make a cabin change.  First off, I think it is a beautiful ship, I loved the soft tones in the cabin and public areas.  It felt like a nice hotel.  A balcony is a large part of the cruise experience for me and as everyone has stated, the IV is NOT a balcony, it is a porch. Had I not seen what I was getting via pictures posted on the boards prior to our cruise, I would have been very disappointed when I found myself basically looking out a window to see the ocean.   The only upside is unfortunately I had a cold while on this trip and so we spent most evenings after dinner sitting in the room, reading and relaxing. Because of the infinite veranda we could lower the window and enjoyed hearing the waves for hours in the evening without the room becoming too warm.  We kept the sliding glass doors open the entire cruise and I didn’t feel that the cabin was too small.  I thought the storage areas were very well thought out (other than the bathroom door hook needing to be longer) and we could keep everything out of site easily.  

I’m not sorry we tried the infinite veranda room.  I was very curious what it was about when I booked it two years ago and now I know. When I book it again for another cruise?  No. I would find a balcony room I could afford, or I would not go on the ship. From what I saw the prices are too high right now and I do not think it is worth what they are charging.  It is really unfortunate that they made such a large percentage of the staterooms with infinite verandas  The ship is absolutely beautiful, without a doubt the nicest decor for my taste of the 30 cruises we’ve taken on Cunard, Princess, RCCL, Disney and Celebrity.

I very much appreciated all the tips before our cruise, if you have any questions, just ask!

Thanks for your great assessment of the IV. Sorry that you were sick, but it sounds like you made the best of things and had a good cruise. 🙂

Summertime ~ I came hold with a cold, too.  But my husband came down with it on the ship so I wasn't surprised that it finally got me.  I agree with you on your assessment of the decor and the IV.  Wishing you many days ahead enjoying time on a ship!

Your perception of the "activities" mirrored our own on the Silhouette.  Seven sea days on a 15 day TA were actually boring.  Coming off a 12 day Baltic on RCCL last year, it was a slap in the face on the difference in energy and fun.

DH had not been on X for several years and he couldn't get over how much constant upselling there was during most of the cruise.  

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Sorry to be prudish but the pic you posted of the woman being held upside down  shows her bottom  partly exposed,.,..not very classy

I think you're being a bit too sensitive. What's the difference between that photo and the decades of summer Olympics where you see the same thing when young women are doing gymnastics - balance beam, uneven parallel bars, rings? What about women's diving? Same thing. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 12:46 PM, Host Anne said:

No....you do not put your Seapass into anything to make the A/C work but your veranda window (IVs) or veranda door (regular balconies) MUST be closed and locked for the A/C to work.  It doesn't have anything to do with your Seapass.

Host Anne, first of all, thank you so much for the thoughtful, outstanding review.

It is greatly appreciated, and you have our gratitude because we are now convinced that the IVs are not for us, without needing to spend time or money on one to find that out.

Unless I missed something, needing to lock the veranda door for the A/C to work is not a good idea at all.

Often one person will be inside the cabin with the air conditioning on, while another will be out on the balcony.

So unless they have provided a way to unlock the veranda door from the balcony, there is a good likelihood of locking someone out there if the other person goes into the bathroom, or is a sound sleeper who falls asleep, or leaves the cabin for whatever reason and forgets to unlock the veranda door first.

Count me as another of the luddites who have no desire to carry a phone around with me on a cruise ship.

Just one more thing:  after all these years of waffle discussions, I think that Celebrity should name the waffle station on their ships the Texed Waffle Station in recognition of their best waffle customer and promoter. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by varoo

38 minutes ago, varoo said:

Just one more thing:  after all these years of waffle discussions, I think that Celebrity should name the waffle station on their ships the Texed Waffle Station in recognition of their best waffle customer and promoter. :classic_biggrin:

Excellent idea - let’s start a petition 👍. The Texed Waffle Station sounds perfect 😉.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 3:15 AM, Host Anne said:

This cruise, the chefs were willing to make almost everything on the menu dairy free including sauces and wonderfully delicious different desserts every night.  It was nothing short of amazing! 

I am also Dairy Intolerant and the chefs have ALWAYS made me a ‘special’ for desert on Celebrity ships.

Attached are some of the selection of deserts from Silhouette in 2018, but the same happened from 3 previous Eclipse sailings.

CFF13D7A-DC24-4E6D-A35D-EA84B282AE4C.jpeg

66158775-ABC0-434E-B620-27DCF07C0C77.jpeg

D0AE7465-C0C2-427A-B1F3-91AEAB8C8DFE.jpeg

851C3E60-6CA7-420E-887B-C27DA6FFC7E1.jpeg

B5A02A69-21FC-48D9-9E00-CFB7C535878D.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I think you're being a bit too sensitive. What's the difference between that photo and the decades of summer Olympics where you see the same thing when young women are doing gymnastics - balance beam, uneven parallel bars, rings? What about women's diving? Same thing. 

The costume  seems ill suited to the routine..just my opinion. From what I saw at the airport this week, fashion ain't what it used to be!

Edited by hcat
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2019 at 10:36 PM, CruisingTheWaves said:

:partial  quote,:

"The lack of relaxing lounges with a bar does concern me - the martini bar used to be that spot......... . Not sure where we will like to go this time before dinner with one option being loud and crowded, and the other being Eden."

Perhaps at some point the EDEN show will peter out,  and Celebrity could add a nice dance floor in there...maybe turn it into the EDEN Cabaret...with dancing and other music..There's already a bar and  small restaurant.

Like the lounges on M Class &  Royal C Radiance ships, this would be a very popular lounge/ night spot and fill the present reported void....for dancing, pre  and post dinner drinks, and take the strain off the  Martini bar.  It could still retain the EDEN theme but with a more practical   and versatile use.

The more  avant garde  entertainment that EDEN now features could  be moved into the Club or the main theater for a special  show.

Just a thought!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

Host Anne, thank you very much for your excellent review. I’m very disappointed that they’re still blasting the music. IMO, while cranking up the volume is fine for a dance party, if we must shout over the music during the cocktail hour, it’s way too loud. If there’s no venue having music that is appropriate for relaxing pre-dinner cocktails, we will certainly think twice about sailing Edge class ships in the future. There have been reports that it’s difficult to obtain drinks in the Martini Bar, due to the lack of enough bartenders. Was that your experience? BTW, I agree with you about drinking water from metal containers. I don’t like the metallic taste either. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences and assessments with us. 

Edited by Silkroad

9 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Actually, this young lady is a gymnast and did many gymnastic moves in the show.

8 hours ago, varoo said:

Host Anne, first of all, thank you so much for the thoughtful, outstanding review.

It is greatly appreciated, and you have our gratitude because we are now convinced that the IVs are not for us, without needing to spend time or money on one to find that out.

Unless I missed something, needing to lock the veranda door for the A/C to work is not a good idea at all.

Often one person will be inside the cabin with the air conditioning on, while another will be out on the balcony.

So unless they have provided a way to unlock the veranda door from the balcony, there is a good likelihood of locking someone out there if the other person goes into the bathroom, or is a sound sleeper who falls asleep, or leaves the cabin for whatever reason and forgets to unlock the veranda door first.

Count me as another of the luddites who have no desire to carry a phone around with me on a cruise ship.

Thanks for the kind words....

There is no way to unlock the veranda doors (at least in the sky suite) from the outside.  You can only open and close and lock it from the inside.  There is no handle on the outside of the door.  In the IVs, I believe the windows would need to be closed for the A/C to work.  We weren't in it long enough to find out.

As for the waffle station being renamed in Texed honor, I'm all for it!!!!  🙂