New to MSC

BCCRUSINGCOUPLE

Hello really need some input. Have always cruised with Princess and Carnival and looking at taking our first cruise with MSC seaside.  Please if you have sailed different lines what do you like about MSC and what don’t you like w rare looking at booking this week so any info would be great. 

• Like 1

Have sailed RCCL, Princess, and HAL. All large suites on HAL and Princess. 4Star HAL. The Yacht Club experience, even with a somewhat standard size balcony cabin, beats all hands down.

The rave reviews of YC in my experience are spot on. We love MSC. 5 cruises on the calendar for next 2 years. So we are voting with our wallet.

Dennis

We had the Fantastico Experience with drink coupons on the Armonia a couple of weeks ago. We enjoyed the dining service and food but were less then thrilled with the Cabin steward, shows and excursions. The shows are redundant, the same thing each night with a different theme. The excursions were unorganized and took a long time to begin. The cabin steward was just lacking, sometimes we received the daily planner and sometimes we didn't. The captain was awesome and very friendly as was the cruise director, Miguel. On this ship there were a lot of non English speakers so if you sit by someone, more then likely you won't be able to communicate with them. The itinerary was great and the price was right. We would sail with them again, but if I have another option like Princess or HA I would book that.

We have sailed 41 cruises most with Carnival then Princess, NCL and Celebrity.  We did a 32 day cruise on the Divina last month in Bella category  and simply fell in love with MSC.  The food hands down is above Carnival but probably in line with Princess.  Staff was outstanding, including officers.  So friendly and personable.  Loved the shows, a different one each night.  I liked that even on Port days they had activities just like sea days since we rarely go into port anymore.

We have the Seaside booked for 21 days next December and I can't wait!!! Try it, you might just like it.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

2 hours ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

How is the food compared to other cruises good selection.  Anything you don’t like about MSC 

There is a good selection because of the many nationalities on board but a lot of it is repetitive and probably not something you would eat.the deserts are okay but the gelato is great.i m speaking only of the buffet.we never ate in the dining room.my wife has a hang up about the food served there.

On 1/16/2019 at 5:44 PM, scpirate said:

There is a good selection because of the many nationalities on board but a lot of it is repetitive and probably not something you would eat.the deserts are okay but the gelato is great.i m speaking only of the buffet.we never ate in the dining room.my wife has a hang up about the food served there.

Thank you for letting us know.  We have to think about our 7 year old as well 

10 hours ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

Thank you for letting us know.  We have to think about our 7 year old as well 

All kinds of things for kids to eat pizza,  hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, popcorn shrimp, mac n cheese, etc. 

I personally liked the food and did not find it to be repetitive.  The menu items on the buffet changed every day but they would have the same "type" of items in the same section.  People that usually say it was the same thing every day did not read the signs saying what it was, if they had they would notice it was not the same chicken, beef, pork, pasta recipes every day but different ones.

As far as what I didn't like, I wasn't much for the stage shows. It was a little repetitive. I liked the first acrobatic show, but not the second or third that week. The singers are very talented on their own. The shows we watched with the singers (the Queen tribute for instance) on their own were great, but when they tried to mesh them into a show with the acrobats with very little dialogue. It was not as good. 

Another positive though was that the ship was always extremely clean and the people on board were respectful as far as not being overly loud or intoxicated. We sailed on RCI Adventure of the Seas and it was sometimes a little wild with lots of drunks and loud, obnoxious people. MSC folks seem to know how to act in public if that makes any sense lol.  MSC always seems to have staff cleaning the common areas and the ships look great. 

(Posting this online because MSC, both onboard and at the corporate level, would do nothing except say, "We're sorry.") They overcharged us, then would not adjust the bill. The customer service we received throughout our cruise was, in fact, #customerNOservice.

Hello,

I am writing today to make official my complaints regarding our trip on the MSC Divina which concluded yesterday (December 20, 2018) in Miami. Our reservation number is: # xxxxxxxx. Our names: xxxxxxxx xxxxx and xxxxx xxx xxxxx. Cabin # xxxx.

Quite frankly, we are appalled at the lack of respect and lack of common courtesy we received from your employees on the MSC Divina (with three noted exceptions). We were ignored, given lip-service, brushed aside, and actually lied to by your employees.

I will list a few examples:

1)  We were forced to wait for over an hour and a half at check-in in a long, hot, very crowded check-in line. With my physical difficulties, this was almost unbearable for me. (My physical limitations are previously documented with MSC.) I requested from one of your employees to allow me to use the much shorter, much less crowded physically limited check-in line. The employee curtly refused my request. #CustomerNoService

2)  As soon as we entered our cabin, we saw that there was no electrical outlet near the bed with which to power my breathing machine. (One of my medical issues previously documented.) We asked our cabin attendant for an extension cord for this use. He came back later saying that he couldn't bring one (as they DID do for us on the MSC Seaside on our last trip). He said that I would have to personally go back to the "reception" desk and pay a deposit in order to pick one up for ourselves. What a pain! Why does the Divina require a deposit when the Seaside does not? How inconvenient! #CustomerNoService

3)  Shortly after I purchased internet service on my device for $49.90, the MSC app showed me other options I might prefer, including "Premium" internet with 7000 megabytes for only $71.51. I purchased that option, believing that it was replacing the package that I had chosen four minutes earlier. Instead, I later find out that this was in addition to the previously purchased package. I told guest relations that I did not want an addition. They basically told me that it was too bad. They couldn't (wouldn't) do anything to help.
      Then the internet service problems began . . . My device would connect to the internet service sometimes - then other times it wouldn't connect at all. When it did connect, it would knock me offline after a short time, often when I was right in the middle of my online work. VERY frustrating! I reported these problems over and over again to "guest relations". They looked at my device several times. There was nothing wrong with my device. Internet would work for a while, then it would stop again. The reception in our cabin was particularly spotty.  *NOTE: There should be many electronic documents available to you regarding these reported issues.
       At one point, the "guest relations" person said that he would have the IT Director look into it. I got a couple of return phone calls over a couple of days, each one saying that they couldn't find anything wrong. Each one proceeded to explain to me "how spotty any satellite internet service could be". They would go no further than that.
       This wasted an enormous part of our vacation trying to connect and re-connect and re-connect over and over again. VERY frustrating!
       Finally, on the next to last day, a "guest relations" person told me that he would get the IT Director to place a router in our cabin to assure we would have good service for the last day of our trip. HE LIED! Nothing further was seen or heard from anyone regarding this. We did NOT get a router brought to our room. #CustomerNoService

4)  The only employees we encountered who consistently displayed a pleasant demeanor toward guests were our dinner servers and the cabin attendants we passed in the hallways. The "Guest Relations" areas were terribly understaffed, (thirty guests in line, with only two or three attendants) and the personnel there were not good ambassadors for MSC. They would provide information sheets when needed, but for any problem issues, they either gave lip-service to the problems, saying they would take care of things - or they passed the buck by saying that "someone will get back with you." No one ever got back with us. I heard numerous other guests complaining of the same terrible service. #CustomerNoService

5)  Only one employee, out of the dozens we encountered during our trip showed some deference to guests as the guests passed by. In the buffet, employees pushing carts did not give way to guests, rather they pushed right through guests that were holding plates in their hands. The employees barely slowed down as they rushed past the guests. Twice, I was almost run down by one of these employees pushing a cart. NOT very guest-friendly. #CustomerNoService

6)  The buffet tables were cleared after previous guests had left. The tables were wiped, but were not really clean. The employees just wiped around salt and pepper shakers and sweetener caddies. Food particles were left on the table at almost every buffet meal. We had to wipe the table again before we could feel comfortable placing our food and drinks on it. #CustomerNoService

Additionally, I sense a little "bait and switch" going on with the "Drinks On Us" which was part of our reservation. Nowhere did I see online anything about additional service charges that would be added for each and every drink we had "On MSC". We prepaid our service charges/gratuities before boarding. We did not expect to have to pay extra service charges beyond that. MSC needs to explain to potential guests these additional charges BEFORE the potential guests decide to purchase a voyage on MSC. (In fact, on one of the MSC emails I received, it was specifically stated: "DRINK PACKAGE TERMS & CONDITIONS: Easy Package is included with the promotion. Service charges are included."

Finally . . . At no time were we ever shown any reason to believe that our business was important or appreciated by MSC. Instead, it appears that our presence onboard was an inconvenience to each and every MSC service person, except for Cy (our cabin attendant) and Michael and Ulysses (our dinner servers) and, of course, those who wanted to sell us stuff in the various shops.

This was far and away the worst cruise experience we have ever encountered. 

Sincerely,

xxxx xxxxx and xxxxx xxx xxxxx

On 1/18/2019 at 10:52 AM, Jossie1960 said:

MSC website says that it's cheaper to purchase the Internet pre cruise as its 20% cheaper.  

Can anyone confirm that is true ?

Don't bother. The internet service is as terrible as it is expensive. It shuts you off without warning after only a few minutes.  They say that they will fix it, then never do anything about it. I'm out $125 for service that was virtually unusable.

We had wifi on Splendida and it was fantastic, very quick and despite using constantly we still had data left over.

the desk were very helpful in sorting out internet problems for people and had information leaflets in several languages explains wifi.

we also found the food in the MDR and buffet to be very good and service all round the ship to be excellent. as soon S we sat down we were asked if we wanted drinks which were always brought with a snack like crisps, nuts etc and every bar had a slightly different snack. Obviously at busy times around the pool then service would be slower.

every bar had a full coffee service offering experesso, latte etc unlike NCL where you had to go the coffee place to get decent coffee, we also had a kettle in room so we could have tea every morning in bed.

16 hours ago, karlsuggs said:

(Posting this online because MSC, both onboard and at the corporate level, would do nothing except say, "We're sorry.") They overcharged us, then would not adjust the bill. The customer service we received throughout our cruise was, in fact, #customerNOservice.

Hello,

I am writing today to make official my complaints regarding our trip on the MSC Divina which concluded yesterday (December 20, 2018) in Miami. Our reservation number is: # xxxxxxxx. Our names: xxxxxxxx xxxxx and xxxxx xxx xxxxx. Cabin # xxxx.

Quite frankly, we are appalled at the lack of respect and lack of common courtesy we received from your employees on the MSC Divina (with three noted exceptions). We were ignored, given lip-service, brushed aside, and actually lied to by your employees.

I will list a few examples:

1)  We were forced to wait for over an hour and a half at check-in in a long, hot, very crowded check-in line. With my physical difficulties, this was almost unbearable for me. (My physical limitations are previously documented with MSC.) I requested from one of your employees to allow me to use the much shorter, much less crowded physically limited check-in line. The employee curtly refused my request. #CustomerNoService

2)  As soon as we entered our cabin, we saw that there was no electrical outlet near the bed with which to power my breathing machine. (One of my medical issues previously documented.) We asked our cabin attendant for an extension cord for this use. He came back later saying that he couldn't bring one (as they DID do for us on the MSC Seaside on our last trip). He said that I would have to personally go back to the "reception" desk and pay a deposit in order to pick one up for ourselves. What a pain! Why does the Divina require a deposit when the Seaside does not? How inconvenient! #CustomerNoService

3)  Shortly after I purchased internet service on my device for $49.90, the MSC app showed me other options I might prefer, including "Premium" internet with 7000 megabytes for only $71.51. I purchased that option, believing that it was replacing the package that I had chosen four minutes earlier. Instead, I later find out that this was in addition to the previously purchased package. I told guest relations that I did not want an addition. They basically told me that it was too bad. They couldn't (wouldn't) do anything to help.
      Then the internet service problems began . . . My device would connect to the internet service sometimes - then other times it wouldn't connect at all. When it did connect, it would knock me offline after a short time, often when I was right in the middle of my online work. VERY frustrating! I reported these problems over and over again to "guest relations". They looked at my device several times. There was nothing wrong with my device. Internet would work for a while, then it would stop again. The reception in our cabin was particularly spotty.  *NOTE: There should be many electronic documents available to you regarding these reported issues.
       At one point, the "guest relations" person said that he would have the IT Director look into it. I got a couple of return phone calls over a couple of days, each one saying that they couldn't find anything wrong. Each one proceeded to explain to me "how spotty any satellite internet service could be". They would go no further than that.
       This wasted an enormous part of our vacation trying to connect and re-connect and re-connect over and over again. VERY frustrating!
       Finally, on the next to last day, a "guest relations" person told me that he would get the IT Director to place a router in our cabin to assure we would have good service for the last day of our trip. HE LIED! Nothing further was seen or heard from anyone regarding this. We did NOT get a router brought to our room. #CustomerNoService

4)  The only employees we encountered who consistently displayed a pleasant demeanor toward guests were our dinner servers and the cabin attendants we passed in the hallways. The "Guest Relations" areas were terribly understaffed, (thirty guests in line, with only two or three attendants) and the personnel there were not good ambassadors for MSC. They would provide information sheets when needed, but for any problem issues, they either gave lip-service to the problems, saying they would take care of things - or they passed the buck by saying that "someone will get back with you." No one ever got back with us. I heard numerous other guests complaining of the same terrible service. #CustomerNoService

5)  Only one employee, out of the dozens we encountered during our trip showed some deference to guests as the guests passed by. In the buffet, employees pushing carts did not give way to guests, rather they pushed right through guests that were holding plates in their hands. The employees barely slowed down as they rushed past the guests. Twice, I was almost run down by one of these employees pushing a cart. NOT very guest-friendly. #CustomerNoService

6)  The buffet tables were cleared after previous guests had left. The tables were wiped, but were not really clean. The employees just wiped around salt and pepper shakers and sweetener caddies. Food particles were left on the table at almost every buffet meal. We had to wipe the table again before we could feel comfortable placing our food and drinks on it. #CustomerNoService

Additionally, I sense a little "bait and switch" going on with the "Drinks On Us" which was part of our reservation. Nowhere did I see online anything about additional service charges that would be added for each and every drink we had "On MSC". We prepaid our service charges/gratuities before boarding. We did not expect to have to pay extra service charges beyond that. MSC needs to explain to potential guests these additional charges BEFORE the potential guests decide to purchase a voyage on MSC. (In fact, on one of the MSC emails I received, it was specifically stated: "DRINK PACKAGE TERMS & CONDITIONS: Easy Package is included with the promotion. Service charges are included."

Finally . . . At no time were we ever shown any reason to believe that our business was important or appreciated by MSC. Instead, it appears that our presence onboard was an inconvenience to each and every MSC service person, except for Cy (our cabin attendant) and Michael and Ulysses (our dinner servers) and, of course, those who wanted to sell us stuff in the various shops.

This was far and away the worst cruise experience we have ever encountered. 

Sincerely,

xxxx xxxxx and xxxxx xxx xxxxx

Sorry you had so many problems.  We were on the same cruise as you and we did not experience any of the problems that you had. 

We had problems also at check in due to the heat but asked personnel (I believe the workers were TSA, not MSC employees) for help and was quickly taken care of. 

I am guessing that the reason you had to pay gratuities on the DOS package is because you had the basic package that was given with the cruise instead of the Easy package.  The Easy package came out a month before we sailed and that is different that the DOU.  DOU rules did state that you have to pay gratuities on each drink if you did not upgrade to Classic or Deluxe if you were to read the terms and conditions.

We really enjoyed our cruise and after 41 cruises ranked it as our favorite of any cruise we have taken.  Was everything perfect, no, I have never been on a perfect cruise.  If I had problems though Customer Service took care of it quickly.  I found them to go above and beyond.  But that was just our experience. 

We are booked for 21 days on the Seaside this year and anxiously awaiting for MSC to open up December 2020 sailing out of Miami so we can book.  Hopefully you will find a cruise line that you like.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, karlsuggs said:

Don't bother. The internet service is as terrible as it is expensive. It shuts you off without warning after only a few minutes.  They say that they will fix it, then never do anything about it. I'm out $125 for service that was virtually unusable.

You appear to be in the minority with your opinion.  After reading your compliant letter I will choose to go with the majority as it is obvious you have an axe to grind.  I think you should ask yourself the question " Is cruising right for you "

• Like 2

On 1/18/2019 at 11:52 AM, Jossie1960 said:

MSC website says that it's cheaper to purchase the Internet pre cruise as its 20% cheaper.  

Can anyone confirm that is true ?

Pre purchase is definitely best option. We pre purchased, shows, dinners, spa treatments, and internet and saved money on all compared to what you pay on ship.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:34 PM, karlsuggs said:

We experienced the internet to be just OK. However, it worked as advertised for us. It's not highspeed in any fashion, and you have to manually turn it "ON" and "OFF" or yes you will be kicked off after 15min or so. This is designed to keep you from burning all your MB unintentionally I believe. We spent $59 I think and we didn't run out of MB for our 7 night Mediterranean.