Booking future cruises while on board

Winesome

Very rarely people report being offered additional OBC to the normal amount offered by a Future Cruise Deposit, but I have never seen it myself.

Otherwise, it makes no difference if you purchase the FCD and use it to book later or actually use it right then and book onboard.

Not sure if I understand your last question, so will answer both possibilities I see.  1.The OBC you get from an FCD is valid on the future cruise you book with it, there is no OBC for the current cruise. 2. You cannot use OBC to purchase a FCD; it does not even go on your stateroom account but is charged immediately to the credit card on file.  Hope one of these answers that question. 

Edited by cherylandtk

37 minutes ago, Winesome said:

Hi, just wondering, if I am not mistaken is there a benefit to booking future cruises while on board?

Also can on-board credits be used towards your future cruise?

Thanks Sandy

It's rare that there would be a lower fare or extra OBC or other benefits if you book while on board. You will get the $100 deposit benefit plus applicable OBC, the same as you would receive if you purchase a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) for $100 each. FCD's must be purchased specifically by name. If there are two you then one or more in each name.

You can not use OBC to pay for cruise deposits or FCD's. They go directly to your credit card on file. 

We always purchase FCD's and have some in our account. They are fully refundable if not used.

Upon making your new booking, the appropriate shipboard credit will be applied.*
Future Cruise Length Per Person Shipboard Credit*
17 - 44 Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite
11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite
7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite
3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

I think most will agree that this is one of the really golden perks offered by PCL. Other cruise lines, I’m told, are much less generous with this perk. 

Wife and I both have 5 sitting in our respective accounts just awaiting the next booking, or refund of the $ if two years elapse from the purchase date. 

Simply cannot lose with this deal. 

We were on a cruise in October and thought we might jump to another ship for another cruise. Went to the gentleman in the future cruise office. Thinking there might be a better deal through him we were really disappointed. Even though the ship wasn't full he didn't/couldn't offer us a better price than what was advertised.

We ended up coming home. 

6 hours ago, Winesome said:

Hi, just wondering, if I am not mistaken is there a benefit to booking future cruises while on board?

Also can on-board credits be used towards your future cruise?

Thanks Sandy

No benefit that we have ever found.

We buy FCD's and book when we get home having either the TA book it or if I book it transfer it to our TA.

Our TA gives us 8% to 12% off the Princess price.

2 hours ago, Motorcyclemomma said:

We were on a cruise in October and thought we might jump to another ship for another cruise. Went to the gentleman in the future cruise office. Thinking there might be a better deal through him we were really disappointed. Even though the ship wasn't full he didn't/couldn't offer us a better price than what was advertised.

We ended up coming home. 

Wow, that really sucks

57 minutes ago, Coral said:

Last summer, they were offering double OBC if we booked a Caribbean or Panama Canal cruise.

Do you recall the specific OBC amounts?

2X on $100, for example, is one thing.  

2X on $500 is quite another. 

8 hours ago, Coral said:

Last summer, they were offering double OBC if we booked a Caribbean or Panama Canal cruise.

It's been quite a while since I've seen that offer but as I recall they gave the double credit & when it transferred to my TA I received their OBC perks as well.

What ship/ships was it on?

51 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

It's been quite a while since I've seen that offer but as I recall they gave the double credit & when it transferred to my TA I received their OBC perks as well.

What ship/ships was it on?

I was for offered on all ships for specific dates for the Caribbean/PC:

New Double OBC offer for Caribbean and Panama Canal Cruises

Effective immediately we have a new exclusive onboard promo!  Now through August 31 guests can receive double Onboard Credit when they book a Caribbean or Panama Canal cruise onboard. This is for sailings between September 2018 – July 2019. The promotion is for all guest locations and currencies and combinable with current public offers. Click the link below to see the complete voyage list.

Edited by Coral

26 minutes ago, Coral said:

I was for offered on all ships for specific dates for the Caribbean/PC:

New Double OBC offer for Caribbean and Panama Canal Cruises

Effective immediately we have a new exclusive onboard promo!  Now through August 31 guests can receive double Onboard Credit when they book a Caribbean or Panama Canal cruise onboard. This is for sailings between September 2018 – July 2019. The promotion is for all guest locations and currencies and combinable with current public offers. Click the link below to see the complete voyage list.

The one time we had it offered was for a few various dates in the Caribbean & as I recall it was only for the Grand. 

About two years ago we were on the Royal & I heard from a friend on the ship that they were offering a "great deal" (who knows ??) for people to stay on for the next cruise. 

At that time we just couldn't do it. I'm surprised they don't do that more often. 

8 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

The one time we had it offered was for a few various dates in the Caribbean & as I recall it was only for the Grand. 

About two years ago we were on the Royal & I heard from a friend on the ship that they were offering a "great deal" (who knows ??) for people to stay on for the next cruise. 

At that time we just couldn't do it. I'm surprised they don't do that more often. 

There was a list of sailings and it was very extensive (not selective to a ship). No use posting it now as the promo is over.

I didn't really care about it as I have no desire to sail the Caribbean/Panama Canal.

Edited by Coral

I have not heard or seen any special deal to book onboard other than the customary FCD OBC.  I have booked onboard for cruises that I had already decided to take before boarding.  The one advantage is that you get to talk to a Princess representative rather than over a phone call which does have its points.  This may be particularly advantageous for a new cruiser but not so for the more experienced ones.  I assume any special perk to sign up onboard is advertised in the Patter or flyer.  We always have a number of FCD in our account ready to use.

Recommend you at least stop by the Future Cruise desk, I'm sure you will walk past it at least once.  Our last cruise had several additional people working there that could answer questions and provide area brochures (Asia, Caribbean, etc.) and tell you if there were any onboard specials.  I don't remember seeing the specials advertised any place on board.  You don't have to see the Future Cruise Consultant, who is usually tied up, just to get information.

The specials are limited, but if you find one to your liking you can book with a fully refundable deposit i.e. the FCD which also provides OBC.  We booked our next cruise on board and received an additional $600 OBC.

I would not waste vacation time doing this. There is always a line. The Patters advertised a very misleading statement regarding extra onboard credit so I waited for a very long time to see rep. (asked her assistant if offer applied to a sailing I was interested in - she had no idea, also tried to ask simple question to agent regarding special in between clients, she told me I had to wait my turn). I finally got in & after a little typing she said "no". Found out later offer was only valid for one cruise, but apparently consultant didn't know or didn't care about her job.

I have found booking on board during launch fare time,  early in the year, often we do get an sizable on board credit, i.e., $500 even on a 10 day cruise, we always book a mini suite. .  I usually book directly with Princess anyway, so this works for me.  I still monitor the cruise fare up til making finally payment and if a better deal emerges I re fare the cruise and get the better deal.   This approach works for us since we want to deal directly with Princess over an TA.    

When we were on the Ruby we talked with the Future Cruise representative.  She stated that occasionally some special offers are available through the desk on board, but not often.  The advantage of stopping by the Future Cruise desk.  You can submit your Future Cruise Deposit Form.  You pay a $100 Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) per passenger.  That deposit will act as you full down payment for any future cruise.  And you will receive a $100 future on board credit (OBC) for that cruise.  So you get a $200 value for $100 per person.  If you do not use the credit within the allowable 2 years, the money will be refunded.  BTW the FCD can be used by your TA, you need not book direct with Princess. 

We go on cruises longer than 7 days and have found the first few days of the cruise the future cruise planner is not very busy and can get in quickly.  It also helps to know the times and be there the first morning time when it opens.  As the cruise progresses the crowds wanting to talk to the future cruise person grows so plan ahead. 

I always go by the area and check out the material they have outside the door.  I must not have been lucky enough so far to find a good deal but will keep looking.  We often have to buy FCD for each of us which I do through the onboard website.  It all is very easy to do and I don't have to even fill out the blank form and deposit it in the box.  I almost always book a cruise as soon as it is advertised during the 24 hour period for elite and then watch the price and specials for a better price and offering.  Since I book through Princess it is an easy call to my vacation planner to discuss the current offering.