St. Kitts Tour/Excursion Questions

We are going to be in St. Kitts in April and I’ve determined what we would like to do, but have some questions. 

- Based on what I’ve read, you cannot book the scenic railway unless you do it as a ship excursion.  Is this correct?  That seems ridiculous, but I realize what a stranglehold the cruise lines have on the islands.  Are there any private tours that include the scenic railway? 

- Does anyone have a recommendation for a full day private tour guide to take us to Brimstone Hill, Timothy Hill, a scenic island drive, downtown Basseterre and a beach stop?  

Ideally, we would like to do the railway and all of the above, but don’t know if that is feasible.  

Thanks! 

We’ve enjoyed Carambola beach club. Cab ride to this fairly new spot. The ride itself is scenic. Once seeing hundreds of little monkeys crossing road. Cab driver stopped for pictures. The beach is nice with clean restrooms. Chairs and umbrellas. Drinks.

Best thing is the reef right off shore. We bring our own snorkeling gear. The reef follows shore to left facing the waterfront. We’ve enjoyed sea turtles and lobster and many fish on the reef. Beautiful.

Friends were on the train ride and said it was bumpy. In case you’ve got back issues.

We have tried other beaches and found this place the best. They have a website and TripAdvisor for information.

Another vote for Greys Tours - we had the privilege of having Mr. Grey lead us on our first visit to St Kitts - it was hands down the best tour I've ever taken. He is awesome, a life long local very proud of his island and eager to show it off. He took his time, slowed and stopped often for pictures, relayed lots of fascinating stories about the island, even passed around photos of his family. Check out the reviews on trip advisor, do yourself a favor and book the grand tour, you will not regret it!

• Like 2

We have been to St Kitts three times. We have taken Thenford Grey and he gives an awesome Island Tour I highly recommend. We have been to Carambola Beach Club 2 times now the last being this last week. I highly recommend this beach spot as well. Consider reserving ahead to get guarantee of lounge chairs and umbrellas. As others have stated very clean facility with nice restrooms and outdoor fresh water to rinse off. Bucket of beers for a $15 was a nice touch as well! You can find them online to reserve online as well. Just make sure that you are on the Saint Kitts Carambola website. Tell them the time that you want to arrive and they will reserve the umbrellas for 1 hour after then. The taxi tour was only $4 each way very convenient and beautiful ride.

18 minutes ago, jdg623 said:

Another vote for Greys Tours - we had the privilege of having Mr. Grey lead us on our first visit to St Kitts - it was hands down the best tour I've ever taken. He is awesome, a life long local very proud of his island and eager to show it off. He took his time, slowed and stopped often for pictures, relayed lots of fascinating stories about the island, even passed around photos of his family. Check out the reviews on trip advisor, do yourself a favor and book the grand tour, you will not regret it!

Agree..Mr Grey gives a great tour for the money. 

We are on the Symphony Feb. 2 sail and have done Carambola a few times on our own.  This time around for $39 pp (on sale) we are taking the ship's "Beach Break" excursion to Cockleshell Bay beach and includes transportation, welcome drink and a lounger.  For the price it's not bad.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

We are on the Symphony Feb. 2 sail and have done Carambola a few times on our own.  This time around for $39 pp (on sale) we are taking the ship's "Beach Break" excursion to Cockleshell Bay beach and includes transportation, welcome drink and a lounger.  For the price it's not bad.

We’re on the same sailing, and doing that excursion too 🙂

Been to St. Kitts three times.  The railway was fun, I enjoyed it, but would not do it again.  There is nothing wrong with the railway, just other things to do.

Therford has an excellent tour.  Very flexible and fun.

We were just there in December, and decided to do the rainforest excursion.  Again, there is nothing wrong with Therford's tour, we just wanted to do something different.

The next time we go, Therford might be an option for us, now that we know more and can be more selective in the sites we visit, or Nevis is also an option.  Rommey Manor and the fortress are also excellent options.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:05 PM, nelblu said:

If you are willing and can remember.....Please post your opinion and comparison after your beach break excursion.  I’ll be there in April and looking for a beach .....my 2 boys love water sports and snorkeling.  My husband and l love buckets of beer 😉

On 1/19/2019 at 1:15 PM, jdg623 said:

^^^^^ Agreed! He even brought mangos from his home garden for us to eat on the ride back and sang for us. There are also other excursions available besides the grand tour.

www.thenfordgreytours.com/home.html

Edited by skid10

54 minutes ago, Zendeck said:

If you are willing and can remember.....Please post your opinion and comparison after your beach break excursion.  I’ll be there in April and looking for a beach .....my 2 boys love water sports and snorkeling.  My husband and l love buckets of beer 😉

Will do.

110% agree with the ThenfordGrey reccomendation.   We toured with him last time we were in St. Kitts.    He has a great passion for his island and is very knowledgeable.    And he really takes care of his passengers. 

We used Royston Tours and it has so far been our FAVORITE excursion to date.  He is a 1 man tour company so he can only take up to 10 passengers at a time.  He takes you off the beaten path and shows you so many hidden gems in "His" St. Kitts.  It cost $45 per person and that covers admission fees to the places you go and lunch.  He took us to Timothy Hill, Lava Rocks, Carabel Batik, Brimstone Fortress, and so many other places.  There were 3 ships in port that day and majority of the places he took us to we were the only ones there.  It was incredible. 

We’ve booked a private tour through Rose and Jim’s Taxi twice in the past 5 years.  Rose is just delightful and will take you anywhere you want to go or just take you around the island.  Very reasonable in cost; $100 for 2 of us around the island.  Highly recommend them.

We did the railroad (with a short sail back to the ship) several years ago and don't recommend it.  The write-up to that excursion  is the most exciting part of the trip.  You will have better views of the island from a tour bus, sail boat or taxi.  In many areas, the train tracks have high berms on either side.  If you sit down below (with the limited A/C and dirty windows), you'll see tall grass.  If you sit up top (open air with a covering overhead), you'll see more, but it's hot, windy at times and sooty.   And the scenery is only interesting in a few areas.  There are not enough seats for you to move back and forth between the levels.  Choose a seat and it's yours for the duration.  

Unless someone in your party is "into" trains, I'd pick something else.  We did RCL's island tour that included a stop at a batik factory/shop.  That tour was interesting. 

Lynn

There is an agreement / contract bet,ween the sugar train tour and the cruise ships that the only way to book it is through the ship, also from experience don't wait as they do sell out on many sailings.  loved that tour, but our catamaran return was cancelled to to the water conditions,  still would i do it twice, no but once was a good experience and worth the money in my opinion.   I have also done the Thenford Greys Tour mainly because i wanted to see Brimstone Fortress - I also had the privilege of having Mr. Grey lead us on this visit to St Kitts.  Highly recommend him, especially if he actually does your tour, great guy very personable.