Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

We strive to provide our guests with exceptional experiences and added value whenever possible. As recent changes to our beverage program caused some disappointment, we have made adjustments which we hope demonstrate our deep commitment to guest satisfaction. Customer favorites including Grey Goose and Grand Marnier have been reintroduced into the Ultimate Beverage Package, which provides guests with unlimited beverages up to $15 per glass during the entirety of their cruise.  For additional information about our offerings, please click here - https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages.

• Like 11

I see exactly two bourbons under the link above in the NCL response post.  That's pretty weak...I do appreciate the changes they made on a few of the vodka's and tequila's...sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3

Wow.

I do feel bad for folks who are cruising right now, I can't imagine there is any consistency with this currently.

On the other hand,  I can't complain.  We sail on 4/1 on the Jade so hopefully all will be straightened out and clear by then.

9 minutes ago, kfnesq said:

Wow.

I do feel bad for folks who are cruising right now, I can't imagine there is any consistency with this currently.

On the other hand,  I can't complain.  We sail on 4/1 on the Jade so hopefully all will be straightened out and clear by then.

I don't feel bad for those cruising right now... they're on a cruise ship and I drove to work today in the snow 😄

That being said, I'm thankful that this has been addressed. Much appreciated NCL.

• Like 3

First off, I seriously need to stop reading CC because it always puts me over the edge after I have booked a cruise and I spend the next 9 months stressing out about the issues we might have! 😂 Or maybe it is just the NCL boards. I was just on a RCL cruise and prior to the trip I did not see as many issues and complaints about the cruise line and their policies. Is it just NCL?? 

So here is my scenario/question. On RCL I purchased their beverage package. Paid $52/pp/pd. I walked up to a bar and said grey goose and cranberry and I was handed it. So am I to understand that on our upcoming NCL cruise, having received the beverage package for “free”, and staying in a suite, if I were to walk up to a bar and ask for a grey goose and cranberry they are going to charge me?? Is that correct? If I ask for vodka/cranberry, what kind of vodka am I getting? Since when is grey goose a better vodka than Kettle One? What do people do when they ask for the “included” vodkas and are told they don’t  have any? Am I the only one who would say you better find some or give me something else and not charge me?

The last time we cruised NCL was 2014 I think and never had a problem but distinctly remember reading all the complaints and being so worried. Got on the ship and had a wonderful time! No problems with alcohol or Concierge or cabin or anything. In one day I have cancelled a holiday cruise with RCL to book on NCL in a suite again and I’m already regretting it. I am reading about alcohol issues, issues with the Concierge on the Dawn (our ship) and so on.  Do I really need to worry about all of this?!?! Or are the people who sail NCL just a bunch of complainers??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kcwiak said:

First off, I seriously need to stop reading CC because it always puts me over the edge after I have booked a cruise and I spend the next 9 months stressing out about the issues we might have! 😂 Or maybe it is just the NCL boards. I was just on a RCL cruise and prior to the trip I did not see as many issues and complaints about the cruise line and their policies. Is it just NCL?? 

So here is my scenario/question. On RCL I purchased their beverage package. Paid $52/pp/pd. I walked up to a bar and said grey goose and cranberry and I was handed it. So am I to understand that on our upcoming NCL cruise, having received the beverage package for “free”, and staying in a suite, if I were to walk up to a bar and ask for a grey goose and cranberry they are going to charge me?? Is that correct? If I ask for vodka/cranberry, what kind of vodka am I getting? Since when is grey goose a better vodka than Kettle One? What do people do when they ask for the “included” vodkas and are told they don’t  have any? Am I the only one who would say you better find some or give me something else and not charge me?

The last time we cruised NCL was 2014 I think and never had a problem but distinctly remember reading all the complaints and being so worried. Got on the ship and had a wonderful time! No problems with alcohol or Concierge or cabin or anything. In one day I have cancelled a holiday cruise with RCL to book on NCL in a suite again and I’m already regretting it. I am reading about alcohol issues, issues with the Concierge on the Dawn (our ship) and so on.  Do I really need to worry about all of this?!?! Or are the people who sail NCL just a bunch of complainers??

All the included liquor is in the link above in the NCL post...since that may be too complicated for some..

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ubp_drinks.pdf

Edited by PTC DAWG

5 minutes ago, kcwiak said:

So am I to understand that on our upcoming NCL cruise, having received the beverage package for “free”, and staying in a suite, if I were to walk up to a bar and ask for a grey goose and cranberry they are going to charge me?? Is that correct?

Post 877 answers your question.

I know its only one step but its refreshing to see NCL messed up and did an about-face.  Usually they don't care especially since their beverage package was already the worst at sea.  Eliminating major alcohol brands made it a joke.  What's the point of a beverage package if you are routinely charged an upcharge of $2 per drink.

Wow, they must have been bombarded with complaints and realized they were being greedy for those extra nickels and dimes.  They were already making a fortune with offering it as a "free" option.

NCL should be applauded for admitting a mistake and listening to its customers.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just off the Epic. Yep. that cruise. Anyway, we had a cruise critic meet and greet. The HD did all the talking for the officers that attended.  He asks for questions, and naturally, the first one, and they continued, was about the drink package changes. He held fast to the corporate line. Claiming they're prices are no more expensive than any other line, and asking who actually bought the drink package.  Basically he defended it to the end.  Not that big of a surprise, and he was obviously not happy with peoples reactions. What was interesting, is not one person I saw bought it. Actually, the person who had the initial question, laughed directly at him, as he defended it.  

Edited by CruisinHarvey

Since they changed back some liquor prices, does that mean the upgrade to Ultimate drink package is now not offered? Just trying to figure out if the buying the water bottle package and 4 bottle wine package is the best way to go for our March sailing.

11 minutes ago, kcwiak said:

Yes it answers the question about grey goose (which I don’t drink) but what about my other questions?? I’m seriously interested to know....

I gave you a link to all included liquors,cordials, etc....not sure how to give any more info than that 

6 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I gave you a link to all included liquors,cordials, etc....not sure how to give any more info than that 

Im sorry I did not realize you could not read past my question about the included alcohol. My apologies. 

2 hours ago, Norwegian Cruise Line said:

We strive to provide our guests with exceptional experiences and added value whenever possible. As recent changes to our beverage program caused some disappointment, we have made adjustments which we hope demonstrate our deep commitment to guest satisfaction. Customer favorites including Grey Goose and Grand Marnier have been reintroduced into the Ultimate Beverage Package, which provides guests with unlimited beverages up to $15 per glass during the entirety of their cruise.  For additional information about our offerings, please click here - https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages.

Re your response on CC. We do not participate in the "free" or otherwise beverage packages but want to commend NCL on responding favorably to the concern of so many of your guests. It's apparent that most are informed, experienced travelers who shop other lines as well. Loyalty is money in your pockets!

peacefulOR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norwegian Cruise Line said:

Kudos to NCL for bringing back some quintessential beverages for which I believe is something customers expect when buying into a 'Drink Package.' I, for one, am more concerned with cleanliness, food quality and ample staff service on a ship. This is what makes a cruise memorable. NCL has regularly met my expectation for a cruise given price-point in comparison to cruising on a number of other lines. That being said, if NCL could push to continue to improve food quality and ample staff service, I am sure I will always consider them as an option. 

In issues affecting me this is twice (although this issue was minor in comparison re: Panama Canal Sun Mar 18) I've seen NCL backpedal in 10 months.  Sort of nice.  Still not happy with the cavalier attitude to which they started this debacle.  Now to see if some of those wines and champagnes can be included again.  DW loves her champers.  Now I wonder how they'll make up the money they expected to make from this program.   

1 hour ago, CruisinHarvey said:

Just off the Epic. Yep. that cruise. Anyway, we had a cruise critic meet and greet. The HD did all the talking for the officers that attended.  He asks for questions, and naturally, the first one, and they continued, was about the drink package changes. He held fast to the corporate line. Claiming they're prices are no more expensive than any other line, and asking who actually bought the drink package.  Basically he defended it to the end.  Not that big of a surprise, and he was obviously not happy with peoples reactions. What was interesting, is not one person I saw bought it. Actually, the person who had the initial question, laughed directly at him, as he defended it.  

Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  NCL does have the highest priced drink package but its not the price that irks me.  Its the limited offers in the package.  No bottled water, no milkshakes, or specialty coffees like the other lines.  A bottle of water is not that big of a deal and should be included IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kcwiak said:

You can order a specific brand and if it’s an included brand you to not get charged. Do not know what happens if they don’t have that brand. I wouldn’t worry. I rarely experience any of the problems that I continually read about. Enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norwegian Cruise Line said:

NCL, thank you for listening and posting.

2 hours ago, kcwiak said:

These price increases have caused more complaints than any other thing on NCL that I can remember.

Outside of this, there are always complaints on the NCL boards (and most others whenever I look there). Often it is the same voices with the same complaints, and it does make it seem as though everyone is unhappy.

Whilst many of the complaints are justified, it doesn't mean that they will be a problem to you. I have done about 20 NCL cruises and in the lead up to most, if not all, of them there have been complaints on these boards, but hardly anything had actually had a significant impact on my cruise. The vast majority of people go on their cruise and have a great time.

The fact is that the overall cost of the cruises has gone up. Offers have been changed over time (usually for the worse). Reading CC is good because it makes you aware of the changes, so you can book and travel knowing what the current position is. That makes unpleasant surprises less likely.

Just go and have a great time.