Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

12 hours ago, blake-lisa said:

Just got off of Getaway and Belvedere was re-instated at $14.95 !! I enjoyed 40 of them with soda and lime !!

Good deal! I enjoy Belvedere, too. It sounds like the liquor drinkers have shamed NCL into reducing their beverages prices.

So, the latest scheme is to now rip off the people that buy Vibe passes. I think weekly prices have doubled or are about to double.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:55 PM, kenns said:

ahhh - so they are offering the "Premium Package" to those with the beverage perk, for $29 per day + a 20% gratuity on that $29? Your math looks right to me, comes out to $54.60 per person, per day...Carnival's is $51.95 plus 18% gratuity which is really $61.30 per day ($429 in total)...so all-in-all the "free beverage perk" is a savings of $6.70 per day compared to Carnival's...at the end of the day, they are using the marketing gimmick of it being a "free beverage package" when clearly it's essentially the same as Carnivals - I completely agree ksmcdonald

The RCCL package is as high as $70 per day with 18% gratuity, so $82.60 per day or $578.20 for a 7 day cruise. So, in this case, the NCL premium package is much cheaper...

It’s not the same as Carnival’s. On Carnival, you can get a guaranteed interior cabin for the cheapest price possible and still only pay $61 for the drink package. On NCL, you’d be paying out the wazoo.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:55 PM, kenns said:

ahhh - so they are offering the "Premium Package" to those with the beverage perk, for $29 per day + a 20% gratuity on that $29? Your math looks right to me, comes out to $54.60 per person, per day...Carnival's is $51.95 plus 18% gratuity which is really $61.30 per day ($429 in total)...so all-in-all the "free beverage perk" is a savings of $6.70 per day compared to Carnival's...at the end of the day, they are using the marketing gimmick of it being a "free beverage package" when clearly it's essentially the same as Carnivals - I completely agree ksmcdonald

The RCCL package is as high as $70 per day with 18% gratuity, so $82.60 per day or $578.20 for a 7 day cruise. So, in this case, the NCL premium package is much cheaper...

Interesting. $70 a day? I’ve been on many RCI sailings and have never paid that. In November I paid $45/day plus 18%. One of us bundled it with unlimited WiFi for $53/day.

On 1/20/2019 at 9:43 PM, pitz0005 said:

The problem is when you do not actually get what you bought.  The deal changed AFTER I bought it.  Had I known, I could have made the decision.  

That is not what I bought when I purchased a Haven cabin!  I can go to any other line and get Grey Goose, no problem.  This is bait and switch.  I don't have to make final payment until August, so I am going to be researching other lines.  Also, other lines include water and specialty coffee in their pricing.  I am paying premium for the Haven.  Huge disappointment.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

That is not what I bought when I purchased a Haven cabin!  I can go to any other line and get Grey Goose, no problem.  This is bait and switch.  I don't have to make final payment until August, so I am going to be researching other lines.  Also, other lines include water and specialty coffee in their pricing.  I am paying premium for the Haven.  Huge disappointment.

NCL has lowered the price of many brands below the $15 threshold including Grey Goose and Belvedere. Flavored Grey Goose varieties are now also under the threshold.

41 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

If you believe it is bait and switch, which by legal terms it isn't, why not file a claim against NCL, since bait and switch is against the law.

Edited by NLH Arizona

8 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

Interesting. $70 a day? I’ve been on many RCI sailings and have never paid that. In November I paid $45/day plus 18%. One of us bundled it with unlimited WiFi for $53/day.

$53 a day for both the beverage package and WiFi seems like a pretty good deal to me! The $70 per day number, plus gratuity, comes directly from the RCCL website...it says the actual price depends on the boat, sailing, etc. 

If NCL could include free "basic" WiFi with their beverage package, that'd be nice!

On 2/28/2019 at 6:05 PM, tumblew467 said:

Somewhere on some review  which I cannot remember who posted this but-----they said Maltings Bar has whiskeys and bourbons included in UBP  that are not included at other bars

Thanks, good to know. Will find out soon enough 🙂

This is what they have online Now on what is included in each Package.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/premium-beverage-package.pdf                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/premium-plus-beverage-package.pdf       

• Like 1

I guess there’s no way to upgrade a pre book (former) UBP just to include water & soda without paying hundreds of dollars more?

(don’t drink, got UBP on a whim, this is a splurge trip with husband and I normally go solo. I don’t care about higher shelf booze but I’d love to have the other beverages in a package.)

21 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

I guess there’s no way to upgrade a pre book (former) UBP just to include water & soda without paying hundreds of dollars more?

(don’t drink, got UBP on a whim, this is a splurge trip with husband and I normally go solo. I don’t care about higher shelf booze but I’d love to have the other beverages in a package.)

Soda is included in the UBP.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Soda is included in the UBP.

Thanks. I was absolutely sure I knew beyond all reasonable doubt that the UBP only included booze. So much for years of lurking here. 

Edited by AdoraBelle

NCL's beverage package (the premium plus) might be the most expensive package out there among all lines, but I dare say it is the best one, as well. Which obviously means it doesn't have to be worth the price.

To get a real bottle of champagne at dinner is not a bad thing. Even two different to choose from. 

Anyone knows if it possible the pre upgrage the beverage package or do you have yo wait until you board?

Zacapa 23 at $23!! Lol.  That's included on Royal, BTW.

I didn't read all 39 pages, but it seems NCL is going the Celebrity approach.  Provide a free bev package and then hound everyone to upgrade to premium for $XX/day.

6 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Zacapa 23 at $23!! Lol.  That's included on Royal, BTW.

I didn't read all 39 pages, but it seems NCL is going the Celebrity approach.  Provide a free bev package and then hound everyone to upgrade to premium for $XX/day.

The Celebrity approach? NCL is WAY beyond that. Celebrity doesn't charge you a service fee on the package you get with the cruise fare. Also, some already include the premium package AND if you want to upgrade it's only $11.80 per day (not $40).

I also love it when people argue that the NCL package is better because it includes drinks up to $15 when others only include drinks up to $12. The problem is that a drink that's $9 on other cruise lines is $20 on NCL. So what matters is NOT the drink price limit...but the drinks essentially included within that price limit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The Celebrity approach? NCL is WAY beyond that. Celebrity doesn't charge you a service fee on the package you get with the cruise fare. Also, some already include the premium package AND if you want to upgrade it's only $11.80 per day (not $40).

I also love it when people argue that the NCL package is better because it includes drinks up to $15 when others only include drinks up to $12. The problem is that a drink that's $9 on other cruise lines is $20 on NCL. So what matters is NOT the drink price limit...but the drinks essentially included within that price limit.

Correct, that's why I pointed out that Royal includes Zacapa 23 in the $12 limit.  This is all part of NCL's marketing gimmick.  It just is what it is.  Nothing new for them.

I am aware that NCL is whacking their guests far beyond Celebrity, I'm just pointing out that they seem to be giving the free package + upgrade a try.  It was something I really disliked about X.  I like Royal and Carnival.  It's all basically included.  One package.  Simple.

And of course NCL has $23.95 drinks that should be $11.  When you pay for that extra upgraded package, you'll be thinking you got a sweet deal.  Dang, I'm drinking $23.95 drinks!!! Well worth the money!  2 drinks and made up the package difference price.  Going to put NCL out of business on my 3rd drink!

Edited by BNBR

14 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Correct, that's why I pointed out that Royal includes Zacapa 23 in the $12 limit.  This is all part of NCL's marketing gimmick.  It just is what it is.  Nothing new for them.

I am aware that NCL is whacking their guests far beyond Celebrity, I'm just pointing out that they seem to be giving the free package + upgrade a try.  It was something I really disliked about X.  I like Royal and Carnival.  It's all basically included.  One package.  Simple.

And of course NCL has $23.95 drinks that should be $11.  When you pay for that extra upgraded package, you'll be thinking you got a sweet deal.  Dang, I'm drinking $23.95 drinks!!! Well worth the money!  2 drinks and made up the package difference price.  Going to put NCL out of business on my 3rd drink!

I think there's 2 reasons for NCL doing that upgraded beverage package.

The first is the reason you state with them getting more $$$ and saying you can have those $23 drinks. The second reason, a bit hidden, is that they will likely keep pricing drinks out of that $15 limit so that more and more people will have to upgrade or have to pay $1-2-3 per drink to cover something that shouldn't be more then $10 but that NCL purposely prices above the $15 limit. The second is just my theory but I bet if we come back 1 year from now i'll be proven right.

Those of you with UBP go check your NCL mail in your MyNCL area.  When you originally booked if it was before the first price hike, your welcome emails also included one about the UBP and it mentioned included brands by name, like Grey Goose, which is one of the ones that set off this massive thread.  Although I’m not an attorney, I think that mentioning specific brands in that email, but then changing the deal so they are excluded, might put NCL in a questionable legal situation.

Now go check that email.  You may even seem to have a new email from NCL.  What they did is CHANGED that email about the UBP.  it will still have your booking date, but there are no brands specified, and it also offers the extra upcharge premium beverage plan.

In my non-legal opinion, if they want a repeat of this liquor upcharge fiasco, they no longer have that original email promising specific brands; they have just limited it to drinks under $15 - which could be anything at all.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 11:49 PM, Pwrmaster7 said:

I am very interested to know if this is true. I am a huge whiskey guy and that would make me feel much better. Anyone confirm? Thanks!

Maltings has a lot of different whiskey and bourbon than you will find elsewhere on the ship. Last cruise in December I found a Jack Daniels Gold that if it was “served” as a whiskey sour (jd without sour mix), it qualified in the old UDP.  Making friends with the bartenders helps.

58 minutes ago, Harratine said:

Maltings has a lot of different whiskey and bourbon than you will find elsewhere on the ship. Last cruise in December I found a Jack Daniels Gold that if it was “served” as a whiskey sour (jd without sour mix), it qualified in the old UDP.  Making friends with the bartenders helps.

I just said to my wife yesterday in going to tip that maltings bartender early and often lol