How much cash do the kids need on the Oasis?

Derbie

59 minutes ago, lcpagejr said:

Impossible.... You are not held responsible for any charges on another persons Seapass card if you did not authorize it. This is established at time of adding CC to your account,   Once the $50 or $100 arcade card runs out...thats it. I imagine you can recharge...but never had to. I would assume it would have to be done with a person who has charging priviliges  on account

Are you using logic on how things SHOULD work, or experience on how things DO work (on RCI ships)?  I'll readily admit I'm going solely on what's been posted here and could be wrong. 

38 minutes ago, Tigmansgirl said:

So here's a question for you all.  If you get a $100 arcade credit and for whatever strange reason do not use all $100 can it be transferred and used for your next cruise or are you SOL? 

Account is closed at the end of the sailing - no way to use it elsewhere. Even coffee and drink cards (which are separate from account) are of questionable value at the end of the sailing.

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

I trust my kid to treat his SeaPass card like cash and not let other people use it willy-nilly.

When he was still under-age, my kid was told he'd get $70/week ($10/day but could be $30 one day and nothing on other days) for "funsies", and anything else he'd have to pay for himself (I did get him the soda-pop package for the week).  He never once even got to the $70 mark.  

He would usually get room service once during the cruise (I kept some one-dollar bills in the room for tips), sometimes spent $20 in the arcade, one time got $10 worth of candy, and sometimes treated someone to Johnny Rockets with his BOGO coupon.  I think the most he ever spent for a week was $50, it was usually more like $30 total.  

There is simply too much free stuff to do to "need" to spend a bunch of money.  Rock wall, surfing simulator, mini-golf, ping-pong, basketball, pools/hot tubs, ice skating, zipline (Oasis class), slides (certain ships only).... plenty to do that is already included in your base fare.  

As for being able to "lock out" their spending privileges on their card.... f you don't trust your kids to stay within their spending limits, then you shouldn't be allowing your kids out and about on the ship without supervision.  

It must be great to have a perfect child and be a perfect parent who has all of the answers.  We are so lucky to have you here to lecture us about our imperfect children and parenting styles.  🙄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gerif said:

Wow - hopefully you got security involved and got your money back from the thief’s parents. 

I did involve security and they said they couldn't do anything because they couldn't prove the other kid had done anything.  DCL lost my business over that.  

4 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Impossible.... You are not held responsible for any charges on another persons Seapass card if you did not authorize it. This is established at time of adding CC to your account,   Once the $50 or $100 arcade card runs out...thats it. I imagine you can recharge...but never had to. I would assume it would have to be done with a person who has charging priviliges  on account

I suggest that on your next cruise you go to guest services and ask specifically about the arcade, as I've been told the opposite on two cruises now. 

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

Oasis class has breakfast for free in JR.  There's a cover charge (I think it's around $9.95/person now?) for the rest of the day, and shakes are probably around $5.  

Someone else can confirm the cost -- I always eat lunch in the MDR on sea days (gotta love Tutti Salad!), and have only ever eaten at JR once in all my cruises, mainly to say that I've done it.  Personally, I can get better burgers, fries, and onion rings at home for less money, and I'd much rather have a Tutti Salad for free!

Johnny Rockets was $11 last week on Freedom

3 hours ago, Grenouille21 said:

It must be great to have a perfect child and be a perfect parent who has all of the answers.  We are so lucky to have you here to lecture us about our imperfect children and parenting styles.  🙄

My kid's not perfect, but I did raise him to know that there are consequences to his actions.  

It's not rocket science.  

7 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Again, unless it's changed, the arcade is a different system from other charges on board.  So even if you turn off charging privileges on their card, they can still use the card to get credits in the arcade.  

I left my card in the cabin and we tried to use my younger son's card to purchase arcade credits and we couldn't purchase them.  This was on Independence last month so it may vary based on the ship.  

2 hours ago, fsjosh said:

I suggest that on your next cruise you go to guest services and ask specifically about the arcade, as I've been told the opposite on two cruises now. 

$11? pp?  That's ridiculous

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Oasis class has breakfast for free in JR.  There's a cover charge (I think it's around $9.95/person now?) for the rest of the day, and shakes are probably around $5.  

Someone else can confirm the cost -- I always eat lunch in the MDR on sea days (gotta love Tutti Salad!), and have only ever eaten at JR once in all my cruises, mainly to say that I've done it.  Personally, I can get better burgers, fries, and onion rings at home for less money, and I'd much rather have a Tutti Salad for free!

What is the tutti salad?

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Are the shakes included in the deluxe and/or refreshment  drink packages ?

2 hours ago, fsjosh said:

No need to.. My account will never be charged. 

1 hour ago, Derbie said:

What is the tutti salad?

MDR has a huge salad bar where the staff make you a personal salad.  You walk along, pick out what you want and they mix it, including your choice of dressing, and toss/chop and give it to you.  Excellent!  Huge choices of salad ingredients, chicken, shrimp, just about anything you could want. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Grenouille21 said:

We sailed on DCL and another child took my son's card and charged $200 in games in the arcade. 

How long must it take to spend $200 in the arcade? Certainly your son could have/should have alerted a crew member or you or even ANY adult in less time than it would take to spend even $20?

9 hours ago, Grenouille21 said:

I did involve security and they said they couldn't do anything because they couldn't prove the other kid had done anything.  DCL lost my business over that.  

Certainly they had cameras in the arcade that would have shown the alleged theft of the card?

4 minutes ago, SamTimeDining said:

Certainly they had cameras in the arcade that would have shown the alleged theft of the card?

6 minutes ago, SamTimeDining said:

How long must it take to spend $200 in the arcade? Certainly your son could have/should have alerted a crew member or you or even ANY adult in less time than it would take to spend even $20?

I guess you are not familiar with how arcade credits work. 

And I would love to know which cruise ships have such high tech cameras that they can read the name on a cruise room key in someone's hand across a dark arcade.  

But sure, go ahead and judge.  I'm sure you and your children are perfect.  🙄

13 minutes ago, Grenouille21 said:

I guess you are not familiar with how arcade credits work. 

A fair assumption, so on DCL a kid can charge $200 instantly?

And I would love to know which cruise ships have such high tech cameras that they can read the name on a cruise room key in someone's hand across a dark arcade.  

Agree, but certainly they can spot one child forcibly taking an object (card) from another?

But sure, go ahead and judge.  I'm sure you and your children are perfect.  🙄'

I'm not judging nor do I have children, I am just trying to understand the situation as I am shocked that Disney, a company that literally wrote the book on guest service, wouldn't resolve this to your liking However feel free to go ahead and assume whatever you want about me.  🙂

1 minute ago, SamTimeDining said:

A fair assumption, so on DCL a kid can charge $200 instantly?

Agree, but certainly they can spot one child forcibly taking an object (card) from another?

I'm not judging nor do I have children, I am just trying to understand the situation as I am shocked that Disney, a company that literally wrote the book on guest service, wouldn't resolve this to your liking However feel free to go ahead and assume whatever you want about me.  🙂

I never said anything about "forcibly" taking anything.  If you set something down and turn away and someone else picks it up did they "forcibly" take it?  

If you wanted me to explain what happened you could have just asked, instead of making rude assumptions.  

I trust my kids not to overspend.  I don't trust other kids not to steal.  

I'm cruising with my 12 and 6 year old this May.  I'm bringing a laptop loaded with games (plus two tablets loaded with games).  My laptop has a great video card in it and I've got lots of LEGO games on it to play plus two wireless XBOX controllers.  We are staying in a suite so we already have VOOM for everyone.  I'm planning on hooking the laptop via the HDMI cable to one of the TV's and letting them play all the games they want that way.  They will be in kids club programs all day unless we're taking an excursion, or with us.  I wish RCCL would make the seapass cards like Disney does their wristbands at Disneyworld where you can tell them to turn off purchasing on the certain child cards.  Some here have said this is an option, if so we will be using it.

Does RCCL associate a PIN with your seapass card like Disney does with the wristbands?  That would eliminate people from taking others cards.

Edited by PopeyeDaSailor

Not even sure if you can use the Wowbands in the arcade???

Regardless, having charging privileges is only an issue if you're going to let your children out unsupervised and you don't trust them with a SeaPass card.  

If your kids will always be with you, it doesn't matter -- they're not going to run up charges in the arcade or anywhere else if they don't have their card / wristband, or if you're there watching what they're doing.

I have seen different systems used in different ships and things have also changed in the past few years aboard some ships.

If anyone has concerns I would suggest going to guest services upon boarding and finding out exactly how your ship is handling arcade usage.  That is pretty much the only way you will get accurate information.

• Like 1