Will the Scarlet Lady be competition to Regent?

Travelcat2

As many of you know, Virgin Voyages will begin taking reservations for their first ship, Scarlet Lady on Valentine's Day (sailing in the Caribbean in 2020).  This is an adults only ship but I question if she is a luxury cruise ship and/or if she will be competition to Regent.  While there is a lot of information on the internet, I jotted down a few things about the ship.

-2,770 passengers (they do not call them passengers but I can't learn what they do call them) and 1,160 crew members.

-It will have two 2,147 sq. ft. "complexes" - called "Massive Suites"

-There will be 15 "Mega RockStar" suites and 75 "RockStar suites"

-No buffets

-No formal nights

-A test kitchen

-A tattoo and body piercing parlor

The writer of the article that I read was impressed with the fact that they will have a Korean restaurant that will have the "loudest servers at sea". They will have drinking games at this dining venue

So far, what do you think?  Anyone booking it on February 14th?

Edited by Travelcat2

They seem to feel that they are in the same "boat" (pun intended) as:  "Virgin Voyages has joined the ranks of several other high-end lines visiting Cuba. Those lines include Silversea, Seabourn, PONANT, SeaDream and Regent Seven Seas."

More info. on tattoo parlor:

"To be called Squid Ink, the venue is being designed in partnership with Fort Mill, S.C.-based World Famous Tattoo Ink.   

The tattoo parlor planned for Scarlet Lady will be staffed with two full-time resident tattoo artists handpicked by Lou Rubino Jr., creator of World Famous Tattoo Ink, Soho Ink and Freshly Inked Magazine. It'll also house a rotating line-up of guest artists. Among those who already have committed to working on board are Sarah Miller, star of Spike TV’s Ink Master, and surrealist tattoo artist Arlo DiCristina. 

In addition to tattoos, Squid Ink will offer body piercings as well as permanent makeup treatments using vegan-friendly Perma Blend pigments. The outlet also will offer exclusive voyage tattoos designed by the World Famous Tattoo Ink team for passengers looking to commemorate their voyage."

I don't think anyone can say it isn't going to be"luxury" until you cruise on the ship.  I think it's fare to say it's doesn't have the Regent demographics and the main demographic is age. Virgin Voyages will be marketing to a "much" younger group than Regent.  

13 minutes ago, Kinkajou said:

Are drinks included?

Kind of difficult to find out details - especially on the Virgin Voyages website.  They don't even know what their pricing will be yet (according to the questions and answers on the website).  The fact that they put themselves in the same category as Regent, Silversea and Seabourn makes it seem as if they believe they can get passengers of all ages. I did notice that to them "adults" means 18 and above.  This obviously means that the 18-21 year olds will not be able to partake in the drinking games.  Not sure how old one must be to get a tattoo.

Captjohn - a heart sounds perfect for Valentine's Day:classic_blink:  

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Kind of difficult to find out details - especially on the Virgin Voyages website.  They don't even know what their pricing will be yet (according to the questions and answers on the website).  The fact that they put themselves in the same category as Regent, Silversea and Seabourn makes it seem as if they believe they can get passengers of all ages. I did notice that to them "adults" means 18 and above.  This obviously means that the 18-21 year olds will not be able to partake in the drinking games.  Not sure how old one must be to get a tattoo.

Captjohn - a heart sounds perfect for Valentine's Day:classic_blink:  

Still leaves a question unanswered !

Seriously one piece of advice- don't get married on Valentine's Day !!

I do like the shape of the ship tho .

Edited by captjohn

Every few hours I do another search.  This time I found "In addition, guests in the RockStar Suites will receive a number of perks, including a private lounge area, priority access to entertainment and restaurants and other items. "  Having a "class system" is a "no go" for many cruisers.

And, this quote says a lot (but is a bit strange to most cruisers) “We have combined brilliant design and Virgin Voyages’ epic Sailor experience vision to create a completely new version of luxury-- Rebellious Luxe, which is at the intersection of luxury and a rebellious attitude that makes everything we do different, indulgent and meaningfully relevant to our Sailors. Whether they want to sleep all day, praise the sun with yoga at dusk or party all night, our RockStar Suite Sailors can live out their fantasies aboard the Scarlet Lady,” said Tom McAlpin CEO of Virgin Voyages "

Apparently, rather than "passengers", their guests will be "sailors".  When they talk about "Rebellious Luxe", it sounded like something that I would like as I have been called a rebel most of my life.  However, this ship offers absolutely nothing that we are interested in.

Richard Branson has done a wonderful job with his Airlines and I am sure his new venture into cruising will be excellent.  Time will tell.  You won’t know until you sail and you can’t criticize something that has no reviews and has not been launched.

51 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

Richard Branson has done a wonderful job with his Airlines and I am sure his new venture into cruising will be excellent.  Time will tell.  You won’t know until you sail and you can’t criticize something that has no reviews and has not been launched.

Must strongly disagree.  We all decide upon which ships that we are interested in based on certain criteria.   As evidenced by this thread 

there are already people cancelling their cruise based solely on the tattoo parlor.  We would not sail on a ship with so many passengers and one that has drinking contests.  Yes, the ship will be gorgeous but it doesn’t take a review in order to decide if the ship is for you;.

Edited by Travelcat2

52 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

With all due respect, neither can you be sure it will be excellent.

31 minutes ago, shuguley said:

TC2. --  I don't think you will be able to book a cruise on the Scarlet Lady through your usual TA.  😂

• What you say is likely true, but perhaps I can book a cruise through our local tattoo parlor.:classic_unsure:
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

With all due respect, neither can you be sure it will be excellent.

You are probably correct but Sir. Branson has an excellent reputation with everything he has produced and his employees respect and admire him and they are treated very well happy crew means happy customers in any travel industry.

54 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Well, I have tattoos.  And I drink.  And there’s nothing I see on this ship that makes me want to be on board.  Maybe 35 years ago,  but even then, no.

Not in my wheelhouse at all.

55 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Well, I have tattoos.  And I drink.  And there’s nothing I see on this ship that makes me want to be on board.  Maybe 35 years ago,  but even then, no.

Not in my wheelhouse at all.

They may not be permanent tattoos they may be fake ones like the kids get at a fair.  I think it is tacky but who am I to judge.😎

4 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

They may not be permanent tattoos they may be fake ones like the kids get at a fair.  I think it is tacky but who am I to judge.😎

I don’t think so.  The names they quoted are serious tattoo artists.  Won’t be any henna tats on that ship, I don’t think...

Reading these posts I had to check the date on the calendar...I thought it was April 1 !!

A cruise ship with a Tatoo shop on it - YUCK.  I already find it hard to understand why anyone would want to get one of those, let alone when on holiday!!

2500 passengers - double YUCK !

Richard Branson is not going to get this person on board!!

There is a very popular type of cruising involving lots of really good musicians and often lots of craft breweries on the ship. I've spoken with a number of folks, usually much younger than me, who have been on one and had a wonderful time.  There have been a couple of such cruises where the musicians tempted me. I'm thinking that Branson is going after this market. "Jam Cruise" is one such type of cruise.  https://www.jamcruise.com/

Different strokes for different folks.  Very interesting looking ship, but clearly not aimed at the demographic Ms. Portolan and I are in.

As the popularity of cruising has grown, I've welcomed ships that were targeted to specific audiences other than me.  Those cater to passengers which I'm not competing with for the cruises we are interested in.  I am, however, growing concerned about the impact of more and more large ships which can saturate popular ports...we missed Cozumel on our December Voyager cruise since we were the ninth and smallest ship in a port with eight berths.  Yes, smaller ships like Regent's fleet can look for ports which aren't suitable for the mega- (or, as I like to think of them, giga-) ships, but just because a port is very large or popular doesn't mean it isn't worth visiting.

Portolan - good point and one that we have thought about for years.  One time we were scheduled to go to Santorini but there were 9 or so ships scheduled for the same day.  Going there would likely have been wall to wall people (as some of the Caribbean ports are today).  So, the Captain decided to change the itinerary (to the dismay of some) so that we would be in Santorini with only 4 other ships.  

In terms of the Scarlet Lady,  perhaps it would be better if they were not comparing themselves to Regent, Seabourn and Silversea.  This will be a unique luxury ship but not for most luxury cruisers (at least not the cruisers that have posted on this thread).