Passport renewal and government shutdown

lenquixote66

Check with your cruise line to make sure. U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (leave and return from the same port) to the Caribbean are allowed by the U.S. government to travel with just a certified copy of their birth certificates and government-issued photo IDs (typically their drivers licenses). 

It is cruise line dependent as some require a passport, but most will only require a birth certificate and valid government issued picture ID (drivers license) for US citizens on closed loop US based itineraries, of which I assume your Caribbean cruise is one.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I mailed my passport for renewal. If I do not get the new one back due to the government shutdown can I cruise to the Caribbean with a copy of my birth certificate ?

I mailed my Passport in for renewal on Dec. 19th before the shut down.

Received my new Passport dated Dec. 31st..

Pass Port Office was not affected by the shut down.

Edited by CruisenOne

as I recall the passport agency, altho under the State Department is one of the few government entities to be fully funded via the fees they collect .... HENCE, they maintain full operation

There COULD be an impact to YOUR application if action/review/investigation by another agency is required but wrt the PASSPORT OFFICE you are good to go

(remember this when you next complain about the 'high cost' of a passport.  It is NOT subsidized by taxes. 

4 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

as I recall the passport agency, altho under the State Department is one of the few government entities to be fully funded via the fees they collect .... HENCE, they maintain full operation

There COULD be an impact to YOUR application if action/review/investigation by another agency is required but wrt the PASSPORT OFFICE you are good to go

(remember this when you next complain about the 'high cost' of a passport.  It is NOT subsidized by taxes. 

No complaints on the $110.00 cost to renew.

(BTW - I'm a Shell Back and Blue Nose.

Missed being a Red Nose by a few miles)

Edited by CruisenOne

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It is cruise line dependent as some require a passport, but most will only require a birth certificate and valid government issued picture ID (drivers license) for US citizens on closed loop US based itineraries, of which I assume your Caribbean cruise is one.

government shut down has ended.

good luck

.image.png.26e60306959de871f8daadcc63cf03d7.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

I got my current passport back in the mail today with a note stating the new picture I submitted was not the right size.It is exactly the same size as my current one.

I had the picture taken at a designated passport photo store.

I am planning to call the Passport office tomorrow but what will I have to do,go in person to Washington ?

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I got my current passport back in the mail today with a note stating the new picture I submitted was not the right size.It is exactly the same size as my current one.

I had the picture taken at a designated passport photo store.

I am planning to call the Passport office tomorrow but what will I have to do,go in person to Washington ?

It's not the size of the actual picture, sometimes.  It's the size of your head within the picture.  

If it was taken at a place that calls itself a passport photo store, and the size is incorrect, I'd go back and get them to do it right.  At no cost.

14 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

It's not the size of the actual picture, sometimes.  It's the size of your head within the picture.  

Thank you, Thank you. We got our pictures taken at our County Clerk's office earlier this week, filled out the forms yesterday, and I was about to send them today. Boy am I glad I read your post. DW's picture is within the limits, but my head was definitely too large. They took it again (no charge) and I should now be OK.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

You're welcome.

For anyone else interested:

Your passport photo must be:
  • In color.
  • Printed on photo quality paper.
  • 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size.
  • Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. ...
  • Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:12 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we applied for DS's passport (a minor) on Jan 4 at the post office. They also snapped his picture (and it's actually gorgeous) for $15... 

The status is "received and processing".

as of yesterday, the status says: in the final processing stage.