Diagnosed with breast cancer need help asap

gamecockinnc

Hi, I was diagnosed with breast cancer right before Christmas. We had a spring break cruise on Carnival planned for awhile that we are having to cancel. Each of us are only getting $100 of our $250 deposit back. I am having surgery on Tuesday and the doctora believe they have caught my cancer early and I hopefully will only need surgery and radiation. Right when I was diagnosed I had been planning to book a graduation cruise for our middle son. He will be attending a military college and playing baseball in college. This is the first summer he will have any time available to even go on a vacation since he was a little boy because of baseball. We had planned on switching our deposits to a mid to late July cruise.

I have been reading over the cruise information my TA sent over.  She gave me 2 different quotes for trip insurance is through Allianz. But it doesn’t seem as they cover pre-existing conditions. I have until tomorrow when we loose our deposits and need to cancel our SB cruise. And loose the hold on the summer cruise. I cruise a lot but wow crusing has become popular and every ship is full.

We can move our deposit to a SB 2020 cruise. 

But that still doesn’t answer how to handle the cancer issue. They believe they caught it early and I am looking at a lumpectomy and 4-6 of radiation.

Any advice about trip insurance with my situation? And what exactly is covered? If I am traveling with my close friend and her 2 sons. And my 3 sons and their friend and we all have the same insurance what happens if someone gets the flu or strep etc.? 

Does it effect the entire group because we wouldn’t/couldn’t go without everyone.

I would be so grateful for advice asap.

T

Your post is a little hard to follow. But, from all of that, I am getting that you are asking what insurance to purchase and what it covers. The answer is: you can't purchase the trip insurance AFTER you already know you can't go. Insurance only covers "unforeseen" events or circumstances. You must be able to cruise at the time it is purchased.

Edited by payitforward
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, payitforward said:

Your post is a little hard to follow. But, from all of that, I am getting that you are asking what insurance to purchase and what it covers. The answer is: you can't purchase the trip insurance AFTER you already know you can't go. Insurance only covers "unforeseen" events or circumstances. You must be able to cruise at the time it is purchased.

It isn't clear that OP knows she cannot go.

She's worried, what IF.  There is, it seems, only a small amount at risk RIGHT NOW.

IF that is correct, OP, then I'd suggest FIRST THING in the morning, CALL www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(PHONE them; this is important.)

IF you can get a physician's note that you CAN travel NOW (not later, NOW, tomorrow) and IF you can start insurance within 24 hours of the final payment (defined *narrowly*; the full payment), then you can probably get coverage that includes pre-existing conditions.

ASK THEM about this, and don't hold back any info.

Good luck!

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

It isn't clear that OP knows she cannot go.

She's worried, what IF.  There is, it seems, only a small amount at risk RIGHT NOW.

IF that is correct, OP, then I'd suggest FIRST THING in the morning, CALL www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(PHONE them; this is important.)

IF you can get a physician's note that you CAN travel NOW (not later, NOW, tomorrow) and IF you can start insurance within 24 hours of the final payment (defined *narrowly*; the full payment), then you can probably get coverage that includes pre-existing conditions.

ASK THEM about this, and don't hold back any info.

Good luck!

GC

Look at Nationwide cruise insurance, which will waive PECs if you pay for the policy prior to final payment for the cruise.

That said, understand that PEC is based on new or altered diagnosis, treatment and/or Rx meds during a "lookback" period of X months preceding the insurance purchase. 

Talk to the insurer regarding how "immediate" a family member must be for consideration as associated with your personal coverage. Minimally, you and spouse will probably need coverage.

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Look at Nationwide cruise insurance, which will waive PECs if you pay for the policy prior to final payment for the cruise.

That said, understand that PEC is based on new or altered diagnosis, treatment and/or Rx meds during a "lookback" period of X months preceding the insurance purchase. 

Talk to the insurer regarding how "immediate" a family member must be for consideration as associated with your personal coverage. Minimally, you and spouse will probably need coverage.

That is the type of coverage I had in mind.

However, I don't understand when people here mention the waiver of PEC, and then start emphasizing lookback periods.  That lookback is irrelevant IF the PEC restriction is *waived* - which is the entire point of getting that waiver.

But one still must be "able to travel" the day the coverage is started.

One key question for OP here is whether physician would be able to state the she *is* able to travel the day before surgery.

In many cases, the actual date of surgery is discretionary; that is very different from emergent/urgent surgery, where one needs to have the procedure soon/asap, and thus may not be "able to travel".

But the travel insurance experts can guide OP through all of this.

And for OP:  Double check about possibilities for the later cruise, too, IF the first one isn't working.

That might be trickier, as you couldn't start the coverage while recovering, etc.

But if only $100 or $250 is at stake, it might be worth holding the reservation in case you can go.

And as Flatbush Flyer mentioned, make SURE  that you asked about others (traveling with you or not), etc.

GC

Just a thought. I had what sounds like a similar breast cancer almost ten years ago and almost immediately after the cancer surgery I had breast reduction surgery. Shortly after that we had a two week vacation booked. Although my doctors weren't 100% happy about it I was able to delay my radiotherapy until after the vacation, which was just as well as I came down with a nasty bout of bronchitis during the vacation, possibly contracted in hospital. I couldn't have coped with radiotherapy while I was still sick from the bronchitis.

There would have been a delay anyway as my radiation oncologist went on vacation for a week, which probably means there is a bit of wiggle room and it isn't always necessary for radiotherapy to start immediately.

So have a chat with your doctors. If the timing is right it may be possible to still do your cruise. 

Best wishes for a good recovery.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

However, I don't understand when people here mention the waiver of PEC, and then start emphasizing lookback periods.  That lookback is irrelevant IF the PEC restriction is *waived* - which is the entire point of getting that waiver.

But one still must be "able to travel" the day the coverage is started.

One key question for OP here is whether physician would be able to state the she *is* able to travel the day before surgery.

In many cases, the actual date of surgery is discretionary; that is very different from emergent/urgent surgery, where one needs to have the procedure soon/asap, and thus may not be "able to travel".

But the travel insurance experts can guide OP through all of this.

And for OP:  Double check about possibilities for the later cruise, too, IF the first one isn't working.

That might be trickier, as you couldn't start the coverage while recovering, etc.

But if only $100 or $250 is at stake, it might be worth holding the reservation in case you can go.

And as Flatbush Flyer mentioned, make SURE  that you asked about others (traveling with you or not), etc.

GC

I always try to explain what PEC is because many folks on CC appear to not understand the concept as it applies to travel insurance. In essence, just because someone has a chronic condition, doesn't mean it's a PEC.

Likewise, many folks erroneously think the insurance concept of "medevac" refers to that CG helicopter that carries someone away from the ship.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:28 PM, gamecockinnc said:

Hi, I was diagnosed with breast cancer right before Christmas. We had a spring break cruise on Carnival planned for awhile that we are having to cancel. Each of us are only getting $100 of our $250 deposit back. I am having surgery on Tuesday and the doctora believe they have caught my cancer early and I hopefully will only need surgery and radiation. Right when I was diagnosed I had been planning to book a graduation cruise for our middle son. He will be attending a military college and playing baseball in college. This is the first summer he will have any time available to even go on a vacation since he was a little boy because of baseball. We had planned on switching our deposits to a mid to late July cruise.

I have been reading over the cruise information my TA sent over.  She gave me 2 different quotes for trip insurance is through Allianz. But it doesn’t seem as they cover pre-existing conditions. I have until tomorrow when we loose our deposits and need to cancel our SB cruise. And loose the hold on the summer cruise. I cruise a lot but wow crusing has become popular and every ship is full.

We can move our deposit to a SB 2020 cruise. 

But that still doesn’t answer how to handle the cancer issue. They believe they caught it early and I am looking at a lumpectomy and 4-6 of radiation.

Any advice about trip insurance with my situation? And what exactly is covered? If I am traveling with my close friend and her 2 sons. And my 3 sons and their friend and we all have the same insurance what happens if someone gets the flu or strep etc.? 

Does it effect the entire group because we wouldn’t/couldn’t go without everyone.

I would be so grateful for advice asap.

T

Good luck with your recovery.

You should be fine with a summer cruise, unless they  find something really strange. If you have surgery in the next week, followed by a few weeks to recovery you will probably start radiation around the first of April and be finished by mid May. It will likely make you tired, but speaking from personal experience it doesn't cause the problems that chemo cause.

The truth is you could likely go on your SB cruise between surgery and the start of radiation. I suggest that you discuss this with your surgeon and oncologist.

One thing to remember in the future is to buy your insurance as soon as you book. If you do that you can find a policy that waives the re-existing condition clause.

Good luck!

You're getting lots of good advice already about insurance coverage, but wanted to add our best wishes for successful surgery and recovery.    I was in the same position almost exactly 2 years ago, with a very similar diagnosis.    It's scary, but hopefully you have a good support team and will recover quickly.   What amazes me is how many breast cancer survivors there are among us - we'll all be rooting for you! 

Since my recovery we've completed 2 cruises and have 3 more booked - make every day count as you move forward!   

On 1/28/2019 at 12:12 AM, GeezerCouple said:

You misunderstand the purpose of the lookback. It is relevant. The Preexisting Condition Waiver applies to conditions that were present prior to the lookback period, but NOT to new conditions that initially appeared during the lookback period.  The lookback period is used to prevent someone from running out and purchasing insurance to cover a condition that just occurred.

21 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

You misunderstand the purpose of the lookback. It is relevant. The Preexisting Condition Waiver applies to conditions that were present prior to the lookback period, but NOT to new conditions that initially appeared during the lookback period.  The lookback period is used to prevent someone from running out and purchasing insurance to cover a condition that just occurred.

I don't think so.

If one is "able to travel" on the day the coverage is started, that's what matters.

We have had too many claims now, and there was never any suggestion, at any time, that the insurer wanted to be sure that there wasn't some "recent condition" that might have been related.  There just isn't any pre-existing condition exclusion.

The ONLY thing would be fraud, such as, if one was not really "able to travel", perhaps due to some recent condition.

And in one of those cases (the biggest claim), there would definitely have been a reason to "inquire" about "whether it was related to something that had happened recently" (e.g., just prior to starting the coverage).  There was, in fact, no such event, but even the physicians wanted to know if 'something recent had happened', so why wouldn't the insurance "checkers"?  

(If the insurer didn't make *any* inquiries that time, given we had the waiver, I can't imagine when they would.)

Now, that is OUR policies.  It's very possible that other insurers/policies are different.  That's why it is SO important to read the full terms of the exact policy one is getting.

One can NOT "run out" and get a policy that would cover a condition such that one is not "now" able to travel.  And presumably, one cannot get coverage if one already knows one could not possibly travel, such as surgery already scheduled for the day before the trip would start.  (But why would one waste the money on the premium in that case?  If one could change the surgery date so it doesn't interfere, and "all expectations are that the person would be able to travel", then that would work.)

Indeed, with the aforementioned situation/condition, we had to wait until there was medical clearance to travel.  We got that in writing AT that medical visit, that very day, and then immediately (same day) made a deposit on a cruise, and started another travel insurance policy.  (Everyone knew about it, as it was the same insurance company who had paid the recent claim, etc.)

The way you are characterizing it would be the situation with most regular travel insurance policies withOUT that waiver...  that is, "something medical occurred within the lookback period".  That's one of the reasons to *get* the waiver!

GC

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Sorry but you are quite wrong.

The lookback period is used to determine if you have received a new diagnosis or change in existing diagnosis necessitating addition/modification in meds or treatment, etc. during the X months prior to purchasing the policy. Any such thing would then be a PEC. 

The value of a PEC waiver is well worth the attention to the "purchase by" requirements.

Of course, new/changed Dx/Tx/Rx between policy purchase and through the cruise/trip duration would not be a PEC.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

20 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sorry but you are quite wrong.

The lookback period is used to determine if you have received a new diagnosis or change in existing diagnosis necessitating addition/modification in meds or treatment, etc. during the X months prior to purchasing the policy. Any such thing would then be a PEC. 

The value of a PEC waiver is well worth the attention to the "purchase by" requirements.

Of course, new/changed Dx/Tx/Rx between policy purchase and through the cruise/trip duration would not be a PEC.

I respectfully disagree. If the lookback period was not used to identify new conditions during the lookback period that will not be waived, then there would be no reason to have a lookback period. The Nationwide plan allows you to still use a PEC waiver as long as you purchase the insurance prior to the final payment date, but they still have a lookback period - think it is 180 days - which allows them to not waive the new conditions that you described that occur during that period.

It would be wonderful if you could take out insurance the day after a new condition occurs, but insurance companies would either go broke if they allowed this, or would have to charge much higher premiums.

Even with the non-waiver of conditions that appear during the lookback period, the PEC waiver for conditions prior to the lookback period is still quite valuable.

11 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

I respectfully disagree. If the lookback period was not used to identify new conditions during the lookback period that will not be waived, then there would be no reason to have a lookback period. The Nationwide plan allows you to still use a PEC waiver as long as you purchase the insurance prior to the final payment date, but they still have a lookback period - think it is 180 days - which allows them to not waive the new conditions that you described that occur during that period.

It would be wonderful if you could take out insurance the day after a new condition occurs, but insurance companies would either go broke if they allowed this, or would have to charge much higher premiums.

Even with the non-waiver of conditions that appear during the lookback period, the PEC waiver for conditions prior to the lookback period is still quite valuable.

You obviously do not understand what "look-back period" means, or what the very purpose of the PEC WAIVER is.

(Hint:  It's *waived*.  There is NO exclusion for pre-existing conditions.  It is that simple. ==> As long as one is "fit to travel the day insurance is started", and there isn't already a reason one knows one could not travel on the future travel date.  But that latter situation would be absurd; one would waste the cost of the the insurance if one already knew there was no chance to travel on that date!)

And I don't even know what your last sentence means...

(Um, anything 'prior to the look-back period is... not looked back at!)

GC

23 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Perhaps you are misunderstanding me. When I say "new diagnosis," I am talking about a "new condition."

Your original comment, post 11, said that new conditions that arose during the lookback period are "not" PECs. But, they are (in every policy I have ever purchased - including Nationwide). And that is why insurers have purchase date restrictions (and occasionally higher prices or other policy limitations) to make that PEC waiver somewhat of a "brass ring." Note as well the insurer caveat regarding "fit to travel" on date of purchase in order to qualify for the PEC waiver. That particular clause is meant in large part to stop the "gamers."

Will some folks succeed in "gaming the system?" Yes. But, insurers' algorithms include that prognostication.

BTW, avoiding those "gamers" is why credit card complimentary travel insurance almost never waives PECs as a reason for trip interrupt/cancel.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Just got off the phone with InsureMyTrip and I stand corrected - well at least partially. I was in fact misinterpreting how the lookback period works.

The Nationwide Cruise Choice and Luxury Cruise policies have three Preexisting Condition Waiver requirements:

a) you must enroll in the policy on or before your cruise final payment date

b) you must insure the full amount of the non-refundable cost of your trip

c) you must be medically able to travel on the Effective Date (i.e. the first day of your trip)

Note that the third requirement refers to the Effective Date, not the date that you purchase the insurance.

If you do not meet all three requirements, then the lookback period (60 days prior to the Effective Date for these policies) kicks in. For example, if you were medically unable to travel on the first day of your trip due to a new condition that commenced during the 60 days prior to the first day of your cruise, then that condition would not be waived! On the other hand,  if it was due to an existing condition "that is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before the Effective Date" then the waiver would still apply.

My apologies for my earlier misstatements. 

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

22 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Just got off the phone with InsureMyTrip and I stand corrected - well at least partially. I was in fact misinterpreting how the lookback period works.

The Nationwide Cruise Choice and Luxury Cruise policies have three Preexisting Condition Waiver requirements:

a) you must enroll in the policy on or before your cruise final payment date

b) you must insure the full amount of the non-refundable cost of your trip

c) you must be medically able to travel on the Effective Date (i.e. the first day of your trip)

Note that the third requirement refers to the Effective Date, not the date that you purchase the insurance.

If you do not meet all three requirements, then the lookback period (60 days prior to the Effective Date for these policies) kicks in. For example, if you were medically unable to travel on the first day of your trip due to a new condition that commenced during the 60 days prior to the first day of your cruise, then that condition would not be waived! On the other hand,  if it was due to an existing condition "that is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before the Effective Date" then the waiver would still apply.

My apologies for my earlier misstatements. 

Each policy is different, here's what mine says about it: 

"c) You are not disabled in a way that prevents you from travelling at the time You pay the premium" and I believe that is what most policies look for, you are capable of traveling when you actually buy the policy.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Each policy is different, here's what mine says about it: 

"c) You are not disabled in a way that prevents you from travelling at the time You pay the premium" and I believe that is what most policies look for, you are capable of traveling when you actually buy the policy.

Either way, at least we've straightened out that  new diagnosis or change in Dx/Tx/Rx for an existing issue during  the lookback period  is a PEC.

I hope you have a speedy recovery. I was diagnosed a bit over 10 years ago.

I highly recommend breastcancer.org. The site has comprehensive information to help understand your diagnosis and treatment options. It also has forums which I found very helpful:

https://community.breastcancer.org/

Imaging and biopsy give a rough estimate of the cancer size. You won't really know how big the cancer is until after surgery. For me, it went from an estimated 3.5 cm lump (which would make it stage II) to less than 1 cm (stage IA) because part of the lump was a non-cancerous cyst and only a small bit was cancer cells. Sometimes it goes the other way. 

I had a lumpectomy, chemo (because even though the cancer was quite small, the cells were an aggressive type) and radiation. I found surgery and radiation pretty easy (though radiation was pretty limiting because one had to get it 5 days a week for, IIRC, 6 weeks). My chemo was every 3 weeks and we were able to schedule it so that some of my business trips fell during the third week of the cycle (the time when white blood cell count was back up and chemo symptoms were the least). So I did do some one week trips during chemo - not ideal but it worked for me.

The Effective Date described above as being the first day of the trip is incorrect for the named policy (as well as any trip insurance policy I have ever read).  Here it is verbatim from the definition section of the Nationwide Cruise Choice policy:

”Effective Date means 12:01 A.M. local time, at Your location, on the day after the required premium for such coverage is received by the Company or its authorized representative.”

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

The Effective Date described above as being the first day of the trip is incorrect for the named policy (as well as any trip insurance policy I have ever read).  Here it is verbatim from the definition section of the Nationwide Cruise Choice policy:

”Effective Date means 12:01 A.M. local time, at Your location, on the day after the required premium for such coverage is received by the Company or its authorized representative.”

Thank you for making this clear! :classic_wink:

GC