Be Careful on the Treadmills on Sea Days

LD Silver

Extreme caution should be used when using the treadmills on sea days. The rocking of the ship can easily throw you off-balance and result in injuries.  I witnessed just such an occurrence on the last sea day of my recent NCL Pearl cruise.

A middle-aged man was clipping along, the ship lurched, and he face planted right on the treadmill.  In the blink of an eye he was thrown off the machine.  He was not wearing the safety clip, so the belt continued to spin with his arm still on the belt.  I ran over and hit the emergency stop button, but the damage was done.  He had about a six-inch abrasion on this wrist/forearm that was darn near down to the bone.  Not the way you want to end your cruise. 

So be careful and wear the safety clip on the treadmill. 

5 minutes ago, LD Silver said:

Extreme caution should be used when using the treadmills on sea days. The rocking of the ship can easily throw you off-balance and result in injuries.  I witnessed just such an occurrence on the last sea day of my recent NCL Pearl cruise.

A middle-aged man was clipping along, the ship lurched, and he face planted right on the treadmill.  In the blink of an eye he was thrown off the machine.  He was not wearing the safety clip, so the belt continued to spin with his arm still on the belt.  I ran over and hit the emergency stop button, but the damage was done.  He had about a six-inch abrasion on this wrist/forearm that was darn near down to the bone.  Not the way you want to end your cruise. 

So be careful and wear the safety clip on the treadmill. 

Thank you, LDSILVER. 

In 2017 my wife was in the fitness center on a cruise ship.She was using the treadmill when all of a sudden the speed accellerated and she fell injuring her face ,arms and legs.She was taken my wheelchair to the infirmary. After treating her the doctor advised the charge was $547.00. I complained to Guest Services and they waived the charge.

This was a cruise celebrating a special anniversary and my wife had been given a voucher for a free spa treatment.However,my wife could not use it due to her injuries.Instead she was given 12 chocolate strawberries,our last time on that ship.