Hawaii cruise

hdplumber

Good day all,  If I may ask 2 questions.

1. DW and I are booked on a 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Star Princess on December 4th of this year and are looking for suggestions for a day early stay near San Pedro Ca. I talked with my Princess PVP and all they had was a Hyatt Regency at $450+. Sorry, slightly over my comfort zone. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. On the same cruise, I am trying to find out what the weather/temperature would be like at that time of year at sea and in port. 

Edited by hdplumber

We've enjoyed staying at both the Crowne Plaza San Pedro & the Doubletree Cabrillo Beach which were priced about the same & much lower than through Princess.  There are advantages & disadvantages to both of them but both were good for our pre-cruise stays.  CP is less than a mile from the ship & being in the center of San Pedro there are several dining options;  the DT is a couple of miles from the ship on a small boat marina without any restaurants nearby.  Both provide free shuttles but sometimes those have delays & the last time I walked to the CP to get our car which was parked for free with a Stay & Cruise package.

Another option could be in Long Beach near the Queen Mary & Aquarium of the Pacific...nice hotels & restaurants and about 15-20 minutes from the ship.  Other areas in LB are quite rough so wouldn't consider other parts of LB.

Generally the coolest temperatures and roughest ocean conditions are during the 2-3 days closest to LA.  It's impossible to predict in advance but would plan on temperatures in the 60s, maybe some clouds and some movement on the ship.

Weather in Hawaii will be great...upper 70s to lower 80s and at that time it's less crowded during that time between Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We stay at the Crowne Plaza in a room overlooking the harbor so we can see the ship when it comes back into port.  The hotel is near the ship and they have a driver to take you to the ship.  You also could walk if you don't mind carrying your luggage.  The hotel is near the USS Iowa within walking distance if you wanted to tour it.  We are on the Star in November and have a room reserved for $184 + tax for one night.  They have a good buffet breakfast available as well as a bar.  There are several restaurants (including the hotels) within walking distance for dinner the night before.   It is generally warm with no coats needed that time of year in San Pedro. 

• Thanks 1

Doubletree for the free parking if you are driving. Crowne Plaza is super near to the port and it's a short walk to San Pedro Brewing Company where we always go to eat and have great beer. Either one is a 3 - 3.5 star hotel and won't break the bank.

• Like 1

We were on a similar cruise on the Grand (only out of San Fran) this past December.   Weather in Hawaii was perfect, mid 70's most days.  We definitely didn't pack enough warm clothing though.  It was cold on the ship and there were some very chilly days outside while at sea.  Pants and sweaters and a light jacket ought to do the trick.  Enjoy!

In case your interested, I also just finished a blog post about our day in Hilo:

https://profcruise.com/ports-of-call-lecture-series-what-to-do-in-hilo-hawaii/

We are on the Star in Dec to Hawaii also, but we get on as you get off. We narrowed our pre cruise hotel down to Doubletree vs Crown Plaza. We ended up booking the Crown Plaza due to location and we're flying in so wont have a car. Both hotels offered a shuttle to the World Cruise terminal, but we may end up talking a walk over....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hdplumber said:

Good day all,  If I may ask 2 questions.

1. DW and I are booked on a 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Star Princess on December 4th of this year and are looking for suggestions for a day early stay near San Pedro Ca. I talked with my Princess PVP and all they had was a Hyatt Regency at $450+. Sorry, slightly over my comfort zone. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. On the same cruise, I am trying to find out what the weather/temperature would be like at that time of year at sea and in port. 

Can't help with your 2nd question but I just sailed out of San Pedro on the Ruby Princess and we stayed on the Queen Mary in Long Beach for a night pre-cruise.  It was a VERY cool experience and only about a $14 Uber ride to the San Pedro port.  Also, there are more attractions around Long Beach than the San Pedro neighborhood of LA if you plan on staying local the day before you depart.

18 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

We like the Doubletree. The lack of nearby restaurants doesn't bother us, since we drive down from Northern California. The free parking with the Stay and Go package is nice.

Just curios and I have to ask - what does driving from Norther CA have to do with not caring about nearby restaurants?  Is it because you pack your own food?   

We drive up fro San Diego and have enjoyed the Green Onion Mexican restaurant across the street from the Crown Plaza. 

We like to have the option to walk to or from the ship, if there are shuttle problems. 

Edited by CRUZBUDS

18 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

Just curios and I have to ask - what does driving from Norther CA have to do with not caring about nearby restaurants?  Is it because you pack your own food?  

Since we drive down instead of flying, we have a car to go to wherever we want instead of calling an Uber or a taxi. There're some good options nearby that are a short drive but more than I'd like to walk after dark.

We were on the Ruby just a few weeks ago out of San Pedro.  Crown Plaza and Doubletree San Pedro were way overpriced in the $250 US dollar range plus tax per night.  No thank you.    So we rented a car from Enterprise at the Airport - unlimited mileage plus taxes was a big $41.00 US and stayed at the Doubletree Torrance $115.00 US for the night. Located right across from a very large mall Del Amo, I believe it was called.  The hotel is on Hawthorne with lots of restaurants, grocery stores, Walmart, Target, whatever your heart desires.  We came in a day early and enjoyed having the car.   This hotel is 20 minutes south of the airport and 20 minutes away from the pier.   We dropped off our car at the Enterprise location in San Pedro the morning of the cruise and they shuttled us to the pier for free.   Perfect.    

• Like 1

Good hotel recommendations above.

As some noted above: cool interior on the ship (bring a sweater)

Cool outside for the first 2-3 days (keep that sweater handy)

You'll notice it getting warmer each day after the first 2 days

Average temps. in HI are generally less than 80 & more than 65

BUT...at least on Kauai it rains almost every day usually in the early morning, sometimes all day (the other islands probably get that, too), so bring a rain poncho or an umbrella. :classic_biggrin:

21 hours ago, satxdiver said:

We stay at the Crowne Plaza in a room overlooking the harbor so we can see the ship when it comes back into port.  The hotel is near the ship and they have a driver to take you to the ship.  You also could walk if you don't mind carrying your luggage.  The hotel is near the USS Iowa within walking distance if you wanted to tour it.  We are on the Star in November and have a room reserved for $184 + tax for one night.  They have a good buffet breakfast available as well as a bar.  There are several restaurants (including the hotels) within walking distance for dinner the night before.   It is generally warm with no coats needed that time of year in San Pedro. 

Which berth typically? 46, 53, 91, 93? Or is there a typical?

You seem to be describing 46/53. 

I want to thank everyone for all the information. Both of my questions have been answered and then some. I understand that they have a free shuttle to the cruiseport which is nice. Now I was wondering about a shuttle service to/from LAX. I tried calling the hotel numerous times today but for some reason the calls would not complete. Finally, I got through at 8:15pm eastern time and was told by the desk that due to heavy rain storm a local traffic accident had taken out a transformer and that basically the entire city had been with out power. It had come back approx. 5:00pst.  The gentleman that answered suggested Uber or the Super Shuttle but had no info on phone # or cost of the shuttle. As always the Cruise Critic Forum have had the best information

21 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Since we drive down instead of flying, we have a car to go to wherever we want instead of calling an Uber or a taxi. There're some good options nearby that are a short drive but more than I'd like to walk after dark.

That makes sense -- thanks for the reply!  Though we have a car there also, it never occurred to go back out.  One reason is the Crown Plaza parking is valet (included in the package)  -- the other is the Margaritas across the street at the Green Onion were very good and a great way to start a cruise --  - no driving for us  :classic_biggrin: 

5 hours ago, CRUZBUDS said:

That makes sense -- thanks for the reply!  Though we have a car there also, it never occurred to go back out.  One reason is the Crown Plaza parking is valet (included in the package)  -- the other is the Margaritas across the street at the Green Onion were very good and a great way to start a cruise --  - no driving for us  :classic_biggrin: 

Definitely no need to go back out when there're margaritas across the street! 😄

Super Shuttle  1-800-258-3826  $17 or $18.00 regular shuttle. From airport to hotel.

Taken many times, no problems except maybe waiting a little to get people going

to same place with full shuttle.

If getting one of their private shuttles higher price,

If same day to pier from airport Super Shuttle better deal as

Princess shuttle charges $34.00 one way..to much!

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2019 at 8:56 PM, Lanwood said:

We are on the Star in Dec to Hawaii also, but we get on as you get off. We narrowed our pre cruise hotel down to Doubletree vs Crown Plaza. We ended up booking the Crown Plaza due to location and we're flying in so wont have a car. Both hotels offered a shuttle to the World Cruise terminal, but we may end up talking a walk over....

We are cruising on the Star out of LA on Dec 19, 2019, as well.  We are going to stay at the Double Tree because as a Hilton Honors Diamond member, I haven't paid for a hotel room in over 20 years!!  One of the few benefits of traveling a lot for work. We, me 55, my wife 55, and kids, daughter 17 and son 15, are all very experienced cruisers.  But we havent cruised Princess since March 2006, when the wife and I were on the Star with another couple, 2 weeks before it burned. We enjoyed that cruise immensely, but for whatever reason, we haven't found a Princess cruise to fit our itinerary or time frame since.  But this 15 day cruise to Hawaii leaving on 12/19/19 is perfect!  We very much look forward to 2 weeks away from the grind of working!  I will be following these boards for every morsel I can get between now and then!  Cheers!!

On 2/1/2019 at 5:22 PM, Sea Hag said:

We like the Doubletree. The lack of nearby restaurants doesn't bother us, since we drive down from Northern California. The free parking with the Stay and Go package is nice.

I think the stay and go is posted as seven days on line at the DT. However, I know numerous people who have done longer. You may need to call them to make the reservation though.

40 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

I think the stay and go is posted as seven days on line at the DT. However, I know numerous people who have done longer. You may need to call them to make the reservation though.

It used to be 14 days, and we've done that before. They may have changed it, so the call them is good to do.

We have stayed at Crowne Plaza in San Pedro twice now. Excellent.   Rooms, food good and a shuttle to pier.  We booked direct with the hotel website.  I would never book a Princess Hotel.'  Prices are way over the top.