Room steward gift ideas

Price31

I know - take whatever you would ordinarily be giving as an extra tip.  Your gift will be - adding what you would have spent on the gift to the amount of the extra tip!  Love the Easter egg thing btw, great way to give a tip.

Go to guest service an purchase a gratuity voucher for your steward.   Give it to them with a thank you note.   They likely will be thrilled getting clean piece of paper rather than filthy money.    (Just google how much filth and cocaine is on our currency some time).

In addition to the plastic Easter egg filled with cash, I gave my room steward 2 pairs of Sperry sneakers, and $350 Bed Stu boots......because I forgot to pack things I was storing in the drawer under the sofa.  Too much use of the UBP the night before while packing.  Lesson learned, pack before hitting the bars.  I realized it in the shuttle ride back to the hotel where my car was at.  I know I could have called to have my items retrieved and maybe sent to me, but I just chalked it up to a life lesson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Hotspring said:

Go to guest service an purchase a gratuity voucher for your steward.   Give it to them with a thank you note.   They likely will be thrilled getting clean piece of paper rather than filthy money.    (Just google how much filth and cocaine is on our currency some time).

Between money and your incredible fear of orphans in a buffet line...... how do you even function during the day with all your phobias. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Hotspring said:

"thrilled", "filthy money", adding "proof" as well. You're too funny :classic_biggrin:

I always try to be discreet when tipping. A long time ago one of my room stewards told me that he was extremely

thankful for my tip (that I handed him in an envelope) but the reason he was thanking me now(in our cabin) instead

of then(in the hall) is that not all of the stewards get extra tips from people and they get sad if they are seeing others

getting one. So now I wait until I can do it discreetly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

For room stewards, what's more discrete than just leaving some money on the table?

You are right. I called my butler on the last day and thanked him for doing a good job and mentioned

to look for his tip by the coffee maker.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, Hotspring said:

I had no idea:classic_ohmy:!  I always rub my cash all over my bare butt before spending.  I hope none of that filth or cocaine rubbed off on me!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 7:14 AM, Price31 said:

What are a few good ideas for gifts for your room steward? I wanted to bring some local sauces but we can't. Any ideas?

On our last cruise we saw a family struggling to drag on board the most beautifully painted wooden pallet that from a distance resembled the american flag. It had alternating wooden slats painted red and white and the top corner was painter blue with white stars on it. I was surprised they were able to get it through the pier to bring on board. I did notice that at the registration counter they were questioned about it...But the husband kept repeating that he is not going to leave the over-sized painted wooden pallet stateside because his kids worked so hard on it. There was some back and forth and they were finally able to board with it. Right before they boarded the registration rep at the counter handed the wife a piece of paper and said "here is our list of officers that will be cruising with you this week that you requested" I was floored that they would give that information to anyone. long story short...a full size wooden pallet with a painted american flag on it was an unexpected gift for their room steward but i could just imagine how happy it made them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

You are right. I called my butler on the last day and thanked him for doing a good job and mentioned

to look for his tip by the coffee maker.

My wife and i take it one step further...we leave a note alerting them there is $50 dollars in $10 dollar bills "hidden" in the stateroom and its up to them to fin it...we are always thinking of unique ways for the staff to remember us...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, takeadip said:

My wife and i take it one step further...we leave a note alerting them there is $50 dollars in $10 dollar bills "hidden" in the stateroom and its up to them to fin it...we are always thinking of unique ways for the staff to remember us...

full disclosure...we did put the $10 bills in brightly colored Easter eggs so as they would be easy to locate.

• Haha 1

Agree that cash is the most appreciated. I also usually bring a bag of those small variety candy bars and every day I leave a few with a note thanking the steward. Believe me, they love it and they have yet to be not taken and enjoyed. One of them told me he would eat half and he'd give the other half to a female crew member he had a crush on, lol. I also bring magazines (like People or some other general type) to read on the cruise and when I am done I always ask the steward if he would like them or if I should throw them out. They have ALWAYS eagerly said they want them. Again, one steward said he was giving them to a girl he likes! So hey, you could be helping their love life!

On 2/4/2019 at 8:05 PM, takeadip said:

I "liked" you post because I thought it was a funny joke.  

3 hours ago, takeadip said:

full disclosure...we did put the $10 bills in brightly colored Easter eggs so as they would be easy to locate.

Now I'm not sure if you were joking, trolling, or speaking the truth. But if this happened the way you write it did, the staff will certainly remember you! 

3 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I "liked" you post because I thought it was a funny joke.  

Now I'm not sure if you were joking, trolling, or speaking the truth. But if this happened the way you write it did, the staff will certainly remember you! 

I was 100% kidding...i could never make someone "hunt" for their tip...just cash on the dresser. or hand it to them

• Like 1