Anthem, 3/31 (Bayonne) - Questions???

Nessa1dc

Hello Everyone,

A group of 6 will be sailing on the Anthem on March 31, 2019 out of Jersey.  We just recently cruised on the Grandeur in December (our first Grand Suite)...however, this time we are in a Superior Balcony.  I have a few questions and we appreciate all the information you can give.  Just one tidbit, we have sailed on the Anthem before, but it was a while ago...and I don't remember anything...except the IFly (I did that!)

We are driving to AC on March 30th and leaving from AC on March 31 to the port.

1.  How long from AC to Port of Bayonne?

2.  How much in tolls?

3.  What is the earliest we can part in the garage?

4.  Is it a long walk from parking to ship?

5.  Do they check you in outside or do you have to go in?

6.  What is the new "Key" Program...you recommend?  (We are Diamond Plus)

7.  There is a slave museum in Nassau...anyone know where that is?  Can we walk?

This is our first time driving and parking at the Port....just fyi.  Thank you all in advance for any information.

I can help with a few questions.

You get checked-in on the inside of the terminal building.

Key program explained here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2601591-the-key/?do=findComment&comment=56708714

Check out the port of call forum for Nassau info:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/35-bahamas/

• Like 1

Depends on traffic as to drive time. If during rush hour on a week day the traffic will be heavy. Figure at least 2 hrs, more likely 3 hrs.  Or more.  Since I use ezpass I don't know the toll amount.  Drop your luggage off then park.  Garage is close by.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Sunday morning traffic heading north shouldn't be too bad that time of year. At least until you get dumped onto local roads near the port. Figure 2 at best, more like 3 hours.  Seems like there is always a fender-bender somewhere along the route.

Tolls should be around $10 for the Atlantic City Expressway, Garden State Parkway and NJ  Turnpike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nessa1dc said:

Hello Everyone,

A group of 6 will be sailing on the Anthem on March 31, 2019 out of Jersey.  We just recently cruised on the Grandeur in December (our first Grand Suite)...however, this time we are in a Superior Balcony.  I have a few questions and we appreciate all the information you can give.  Just one tidbit, we have sailed on the Anthem before, but it was a while ago...and I don't remember anything...except the IFly (I did that!)

1.  How long from AC to Port of Bayonne?  use google maps to tell you and add an extra 1/2 hour for traffic

2.  How much in tolls? should be around $10

3.  What is the earliest we can part in the garage? 9, 10 am

4.  Is it a long walk from parking to ship? about 100 feet

5.  Do they check you in outside or do you have to go in? drop bags at curb, park car, walk back, go inside, check in.

7.  There is a slave museum in Nassau...anyone know where that is?  Can we walk?

This is our first time driving and parking at the Port....just fyi.  Thank you all in advance for any information.

See my replies above in red..

• Like 2

On 2/5/2019 at 10:31 AM, Nessa1dc said:

Hello Everyone,

2.  How much in tolls?

I'm sure that was just a typo, but  just in case, I want you to be aware that the Anthem sails on March 30th, not March 31st. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 10:31 AM, Nessa1dc said:

Hello Everyone,

2.  How much in tolls?

If you are asking about the trip from Atlantic City it is about 2 1/2 hours. Just did it last Oct and doing it again in June. We live twelve miles from AC. It is a very easy ride up the parkway to the Turnpike. Not sure about the tolls as we have easy pass. We left our house at 7:30 and we were on the ship by eleven. Walk from parking to ship is about  four minutes. Check in inside , very easy. Parking in now $22 a day. You pay before you go back to your car. Make sure to drop off you luggage first before you park. Everything in clearly marked as you drive up to the ship. We parked before ten. Plenty of parking as people are leaving

• Like 1

We have been to the Pompey Museum of Slavery and Emancipation in Nassau.  It is at the end of Bay Street, which is the long shopping street most cruisers walk down anyway.  It is a bit under 1/4 mile from the port and well within reasonable walking distance and in the generally safe tourist area.

It is a small, historic building that was actually used in the slave trade.  Inside, it's just the one room and will take you less than an hour to see everything.

We also went to Pirates of Nassau which is just another block or so away around a corner.  We enjoyed both but the Pirates was more "fun" as the slavery museum obviously is a very sober topic, not that real piracy was as romantic as we now make it out to be.

• Like 1

All good information by the others.  "The Key" you have to read real closely, to understand just what you get and what you have to do to maximize your benefits.  Couple of comments.  There are a limited number of "Keys" sold per ship. Some of the benefits that you get as a C&A member, depending on level, are part of "The Key" so watch what you might duplicate pay for.  Dropping off your carry ons at the Theater is a good option, just carry your meds & valuables to lunch.  Chops is a good lunch spot when you embark.   Not sure when the "private" hours are for the Ifly, wave rider, and so on. Looking for someone to post that info in some of the other forums.  You still have to go online and book your 3 main shows as early as they will allow before departure, as the Key only gets you a "good" seat behind the "suites" and High Rollers, and the high level C&A.  As someone posted "The Key" is not first class, or business class, it is Economy Plus, which some people were taken back by not having first class after they paid the $24.99 for 9 day cruise.  Of course all the options above economy (inside cabin) is all to what people value and can afford !  Some people like to pay for an inside cabin and take 6 cruises a year !   Some people pay for the Grand Suite and cruise 1X or 2X a year. 

• Like 1