Eggs Benedict station, Buffet, Volendam

JOHN 57

You can also do a write-in on the in-room breakfast menu card that you hang on your door handles the night before.   We have written in "regular eggs Benedict" and we have gotten it every time.  If you want the version that has salmon instead of Canadian bacon, you have to pay extra.   But the regular version is free.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

You can also do a write-in on the in-room breakfast menu card that you hang on your door handles the night before.   We have written in "regular eggs Benedict" and we have gotten it every time.  If you want the version that has salmon instead of Canadian bacon, you have to pay extra.   But the regular version is free.

Woah! Dangerous knowledge for me to have. I LOVE eggs Benedict, and knowing that I could get them with room service. . . .

We were on the NA last week and dh got some form of eggs benedict dish everyday in the lido. Sometimes smothered in crab or Spanish ham or I don't know what. I tried a couple and they were amazing. He is presently going through eggs benedict withdrawal.

I agree absolutely, when we go on vacation and cruise.  We always try something different.   Last December, we were on the Celebrity Summit, there were so many different kinds of Eggs Benedict.  Looking forward to trying Holland America eggs benedict.

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

Yes, and they sit for hours (or days) in the chafing dish.  I will never take one from the Lido.

That has never been our experience on HAL.  When I get Eggs Benedict (or a variation) at the Lido it is always made to order although the Hollandaise Sauce is certainly not freshly made and leaves something to be desired.  At one time the HAL Eggs Benedict stations would have at least 5 or 6 different variations and I tried them all :).  But since the revamping of the Lido's (how many ways can one say "cut back") the stations generally will offer only regular eggs benedict plus one additional special option...which is rotated on a daily basis.  

Like the person described in the previous post, I go through eggs benedict withdrawal after a long cruise :(.  And I am just tomo darn lazy to make my own since I would go through the trouble of making real Hollandaise sauce.  Ironically, the best eggs benedict I ever had on a cruise ship was on the MSC Divina...which many would consider a budget line.  But in their Yacht Club there is a dedicated restaurant (Le Muse) where the chef makes fresh hollandaise sauce for every order.  The difference from the instant powders used on most cruise ships is stunning.

Hank

22 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

Have any of you ordered eggs Benedict from room service?  If so was it hot/warm?  Many don't care about food temp but we do. 

As I posted in #5 above,  yes, you can do a write-in on the door tag breakfast order.   As long as you order regular Eggs Benedict, there will be no extra charge.  The extra fee is for the Salmon Benedict.   And yes, they are definitely hot when delivered.   However, you do have to eat them as soon as delivered.  They will cool down quickly in an air conditioned cabin.   Obviously, eggs Benedict is only available during the normal Lido breakfast hours.

And commenting on another post, every time I order Eggs Benedict in the Lido, it is made to order, right in front of my eyes, and piping hot.  Sitting in a "chafing dish" for hours or days ????   What an insane comment !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Yes, and they sit for hours (or days) in the chafing dish.  I will never take one from the Lido.

In my experience, that is totally false information you are trying to pass off as fact. 😡

Edited by VennDiagram
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Sitting days in a chafing dish? I don't think so. As I understand it, food being on display is very limited in time due to health codes. Just not true.

On 2/10/2019 at 3:21 PM, TAD2005 said:

does it come with 1 or 2 eggs?

Great Bennies in the MDR on the NA when we sailed on her Sep '17. Had different ones every second day alternating with omelets, etc. Never ate in the Lido although we grabbed a couple sandwiches for lunch on a train trip day. We always ate breakfast, lunch (on sailing days) and dinner in the MDR except a lunch and dinner in Pinnacle. Loved the MDR, met lots of great people and 3 out of the 7 evenings we had a table for 2. 

12 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

In my experience, that is totally false information you are trying to pass off as fact. 😡

The greatest truth is said in jest.  I have seen the same eggs Benedict in the display pan for more than hour on several ships.  Perhaps, not days, but still hard-like hockey pucks.  Take at your own peril!

14 hours ago, JOHN 57 said:

... there were so many different kinds of Eggs Benedict.  Looking forward to trying Holland America eggs benedict.

In the past they used to have about 6 choices every day, but on our last couple of cruises they only offered the standard and one other type each day.  The special changed each day.  Usually they are very good, but I've gotten some that were over-cooked.

14 minutes ago, retiretwo said:

This is going off subject, but does the Volendam's  "Eggs Benedict " change over to become the  "Asian  station" at lunch time? Having not sailed this class ship in a Long time, I'm hoping it also has an Asian station.

These class ships have had both the "Asian" section and the "Italian" sections.  Opposite sides of the Lido buffet lines.  "Italian" pasta section now stays open later after the main buffet lines close down in the afternoon.

On 2/12/2019 at 8:11 AM, ChinaShrek said:

The greatest truth is said in jest.  I have seen the same eggs Benedict in the display pan for more than hour on several ships.  Perhaps, not days, but still hard-like hockey pucks.  Take at your own peril!

This begs the question..... do you have nothing better to do on a cruise other than stand at the Lido eggs Benedict station and monitor a particular item ?   If you came back, every few minutes,  how do you know that it is exactly the same eggs Benedict ?  Does it have a serial number on it ?   

And if you never saw any eggs Benedict sitting in the "chafing dish for days"  (which would be an impossibility) then why did you post such an idiotic comment ?   Why are most of your comments about HAL cruises always negative and filled with half truths or totally wrong ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1