Moveup Bidding

mfs2k

Do they offer this if you book through a UK travel agent? I'm new to Celebrity, but found the contractual terms of my booking a bit strict (high, nonrefundable deposit plus the stipulation that to change cabin type (even to upgrade), one would have to cancel the booking, lose the deposit and rebook). However a way around that would be if they offered a MoveUp programme for my cruise - but my T/A might not be signed up for it? Or it's only available to certain regions?

19 hours ago, merinski said:

We just got the move up letter that we are moving up from an inside to a Veranda! I am so excited. We didn't bid high either, we did the lowest bid , then changed it up one notch.

That’s how we got the move-up bid accepted last November on our cruise then. I believe we are on your cruise in Feb.

Edited by If only

11 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Mine came directly from Celebrity.  I had booked with my TA.

Thanks.  Each cruise line handles them a little differently I’m discovering. I just completed an upsell offer with HAL two days ago for a cruise leaving next week. Their offers come to you by way of your TA. I don’t especially like that method since it involves a third party which can translate to delays to accept the offer. It was sheer luck that I responded immediately (within 15 minutes) to the offer, and by the time the TA contacted HAL there was only one stateroom left in the category I was moving up to.

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

If you’ve received a MoveUp offer, and you’re booked with a TA, does the email offer come to you directly from Celebrity or via the TA?

Whether you're booked with a TA or you've booked direct, the MoveUp offer email comes directly from Celebrity. 

It's possible some TA bookings aren't included in the Moveup program, because there's probably some sort of contract involved which addresses whether the TA will get commission on the move-up amount.  

You have to be signed up with Celebrity to receive Celebrity's marketing emails in order to get the MoveUp email.   

I'm guessing Celebrity wants to capture your direct business for your next cruise so they can save on those expensive TA Commissions. You can probably expect to get a lot of Celebrity offers in your email after your cruise.. 

2 hours ago, BEAV said:

If you’ve received a MoveUp offer, and you’re booked with a TA, does the email offer come to you directly from Celebrity or via the TA?

Comes directly from Celebrity.  Only if you are upgraded do you receive a confirmation email from both X and your TA for the new billing. Bid on Aqua, and all the suite categories.  Bid high on the suites hoping to score.  Bid low on the Aqua.  Was shocked to get upgraded a few weeks later from CC to A1.  Only sad part is it is under the pool area.  I thought for sure my really high suite bids would win for sure.  Live and learn.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

6 hours ago, If only said:

That’s how we got the move-up bid accepted last November on our cruise then. I believe we are on your cruise in Feb.

Yes , we are on the same cruise in 4 days!!! So we got it 5 days ahead.

We also booked through a T/A, but received it through Celebrity.

Just had an interesting phone call with Captains Club.  I received a Move Up email earlier this week for a suite.  I asked the CC representative if there were suites available as I didn't see any on the Celebrity website.  The rep said all suites were already booked but if I made a bid it would be considered if someone cancelled their suite booking.  As our cruise is March 16 it seems rather pointless to bid, along with the fact the minimum asking bid is set very high.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:59 PM, 39august said:

I received a move up offer about 3 weeks before out Feb. 18 Reflection cruise. I believe the minimum bid for sky suite was $600 per person. A few days ago, I received another offer and the minimum bid was lowered to $500 pp. So, they do lower the bids sometimes. Not interested as we are experiencing Aqua for the first time (and probably the last, but curious to try). I would only ever bid on Celebrity Suites, as I wouldn't take a chance on Sky Suites being under a noisy area. 

Sorry to be pedantic - and no offence meant - but you did not (nor did anyone else ) receive an "offer" from Celebrity.
The MoveUp program invites YOU to make an offer to Celebrity, which they are at liberty to accept or decline at any time they wish (unless you withdraw your offer first, which you can do).
This is an important distinction. Once you make the offer, they are in control of the deal, not you.

If you, say, phone Celebrity instead and ask them about a possible upgrade, they offer to you and you are in the driver's seat in terms of acceptance or rejection. 
It's about who's controlling the potential deal.

21 hours ago, l_n_m said:

Just had an interesting phone call with Captains Club.  I received a Move Up email earlier this week for a suite.  I asked the CC representative if there were suites available as I didn't see any on the Celebrity website.  The rep said all suites were already booked but if I made a bid it would be considered if someone cancelled their suite booking.  As our cruise is March 16 it seems rather pointless to bid, along with the fact the minimum asking bid is set very high.

Never underestimate the level or timing of cancellations. Once the point has passed after which refunds become zero, people have nothing to lose by delaying their cancellation decision until as late as the day before the cruise. So try for an upgrade either then or at the check-in desk. The cruise company just wants to maximize its shore-side revenue on every sailing. $100 bucks extra per person? Why would they turn it down?

Also, there are people who intend to go but do not make embarkation (e.g. flight delays). 

Assume the % of people who do not, for whatever reason, take the cruise is a mere 5%. If the ship holds, say 2000, 5% is 100 people. That's more than enough wiggle room to negotiate a cabin change.

Hint: if you can't get the cabin change you want before she sails, go to Guest Services right after she sails from her first port of call. Reason? Folk who missed the embarkation may try to board the ship at it's first port visited. If they still haven't shown up by then, there's a good chance their cabin is up for grabs.
Timing.

I am new to celebrity and got a move up offer... came through the TA however.  We decided against it as we could not chose room location by position of deck.. lots to learn when you try a new line.  Have done 10+ cruises but this will be my first on Celebrity.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:11 AM, bajathree said:

Im on March 23 Equionox in Aqua also and just received a move up offer today also. I could have paid to upgrade to a sky suite guaranty yesterday for less than they are currently asking for the lowest bid today....silly. Today the guaranty isn't being offered and the only "assigned S1" sky suite showing available is over $500/pp more than the guaranty was yesterday. All a game.

Since I have booked with the big box store mentioned elsewhere, apparently I am not going to get a Move Up solicitation on our next cruise anyway (May 26, Norwegian Fjords).  But bajathree raises a question I wanted to follow up on.  Is it generally (or usually, or always, or rarely) the case that you could have booked the upgrade the day before the solicitations come out for the same or less as the minimum bid?  If so, and if you are checking for price drops regularly, then as bajathree said in this particular case, it is silly.  But if there are sometimes real deals to be had, that would be a different story.  I am sure others who have tracked prices and received Move Up solicitations will have an impression on this.

Tom & Judy

3 hours ago, TFree said:

Since I have booked with the big box store mentioned elsewhere, apparently I am not going to get a Move Up solicitation on our next cruise anyway (May 26, Norwegian Fjords).  But bajathree raises a question I wanted to follow up on.  Is it generally (or usually, or always, or rarely) the case that you could have booked the upgrade the day before the solicitations come out for the same or less as the minimum bid?  If so, and if you are checking for price drops regularly, then as bajathree said in this particular case, it is silly.  But if there are sometimes real deals to be had, that would be a different story.  I am sure others who have tracked prices and received Move Up solicitations will have an impression on this.

Tom & Judy

The suite guaranty again came down in price on my sailing to the point where I can pay to upgrade cheaper than the minimum bid price on the upgrade offer.

2 hours ago, daniels5759 said:

Anyone know after you bid on an upgrade how long it takes for them to accept or decline your offer. We bid just a little above the minimum last week on Wednesday I think and haven't heard anything yet.

I’ve learned here your bid could be accepted any time between immediately and 3 days before debarkation. You’ll know when your credit card gets charged. 

On 2/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, daniels5759 said:

Anyone know after you bid on an upgrade how long it takes for them to accept or decline your offer. We bid just a little above the minimum last week on Wednesday I think and haven't heard anything yet.

As mentioned already it can be accepted at any point up to 3 days before you’re cruise, 

personally i I got the email a couple of weeks ago and made a bid slightly above the minimum, I got the email today saying I was successful and had been upgraded from an inside to a veranda, our cruise is in 18 days time so I guess it really can be at anytime, 

20 minutes ago, MR_T said:

As mentioned already it can be accepted at any point up to 3 days before you’re cruise, 

personally i I got the email a couple of weeks ago and made a bid slightly above the minimum, I got the email today saying I was successful and had been upgraded from an inside to a veranda, our cruise is in 18 days time so I guess it really can be at anytime, 

Thanks for letting me know. We still haven't heard anything yet. Our cruise isn't until March 22nd so I'm still hoping we might have a shot at it. Apparently nobody has out bid us yet.

Thanks for letting me know. We still haven't heard anything yet. Our cruise isn't until March 22nd so I'm still hoping we might have a shot at it. Apparently nobody has out bid us yet.

I do not think that Is  the bidding process. I do not think Celebrity would let you know if someone has submitted a higher bid, because they are not sure how many (if any) cabins will be available.

1 hour ago, Kreative03 said:

Slightly OT, but has anyone been able to use MoveUp on the Edge? I read conflicting reports that it is excluded. When I tried it simply said that there wasn't availability....except there are dozens of higher class cabins available for booking. 

Are you trying within 30 days of sailing? 

Edited by mfs2k

I posted earlier in this thread so here is an update..... I'm on the March 23 Equinox sailing in a C1; I have not received an email inviting me to bid, so now that I'm within the 30 day window I looked into bidding via the Move-Up link on the website, but once again I was told nothing was available.  Yet, if I try to book a cabin there are Aqua and Suite level cabins available.  I booked directly with Celebrity, although it was after final payment was due if that makes any difference.  Doubt I'd bid as we would only move to a suite and from what others have posted the minimum bids for those would actually result in a higher total price for us than if we just called and asked to upgrade and purchase a SS at the price today, but I'm still interested to review what the minimum bid would be.

I'm sharing because it seems there is some type of selection process Celebrity has to determine who can bid and who can't.  Seems strange a Cap't Club member who booked direct wouldn't be able to bid.