The Key Program or Cabin Upgrade - Help!

Hello Fellow Experienced RCCL Cruisers,

DH and I are new to RCCL and need your help deciding if the perks associated with the Key program is worth it. Or should we just upgrade our balcony cabin to a suite (which comes with perks, I hope) and pay the difference?  My fear is us standing in long lines during embarkation/debarkation and for some of the activities on Harmony of the Seas.

Your help with the pros and cons would be greatly appreciated!

Will you be taking shore excursions with the ship?

Debarkation will you be carrying your bags off?

What status are you, if your platinum you get priority embarkation/debarkation

You can plan your shows and make reservations so all you do is get your sea pass card scanned and there is no lines you walk right in.

If you upgrade to a suite you can use that money for all your expenses with the balcony cabin or take another cruise but thats your choice.

I been on the Oasis class ships 7 times in the past 3 years, never had any issues.  If you don't reserve your shows then you will have to wait on the long lines.

7 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Will you be taking shore excursions with the ship?

Debarkation will you be carrying your bags off?

What status are you, if your platinum you get priority embarkation/debarkation

You can plan your shows and make reservations so all you do is get your sea pass card scanned and there is no lines you walk right in.

If you upgrade to a suite you can use that money for all your expenses with the balcony cabin or take another cruise but thats your choice.

I been on the Oasis class ships 7 times in the past 3 years, never had any issues.  If you don't reserve your shows then you will have to wait on the long lines.

1.  No shore excursions with the ship;  Plan to stay in port area.  This cruise will be just to relax and take in the ship

2.  Yes we will be carrying our bags off at debarkation

3.  This is our first sailing with RCCL and therefore, we have no status. Perks are with another cruise line😊

4.  RCCL Cruise Planner does not show any shows to reserve for our sailing yet

5.  Don’t understand what you mean by your last point if we upgrade to a suite we can use that money.  What money?

Thanks

Exactly what lines do you think you're going to be standing in all the time that The Key is going to alleviate?

I've been on Oasis class three different times, and I didn't spend an inordinate amount of time waiting in line for any of them.  (And redheads are not known for being overly patient, so if *I* wasn't ticked off all the time, I doubt you will be!)

Whether or not a suite is worth it will depend entirely on how much disposable income you have and where you personally find value on a ship.  If you spend a lot of time in your own room and/or lounging for hours on your own balcony, then a suite might be worth the exorbitant price to you.  If you're more likely to hang out on the pool deck or Solarium, it might not be worth the cost.  

The key gives you priority port of call debarkation, your not going on a tour so it won't matter

Your carrying your bags off so you will get off first anyways

The reserving the entertainment/shows opens up a few months before the cruise, its too early for you but you be able to reserve your shows and be able to get in without that line

Why would you spend all that money for a suite, you can use that extra money for onboard expenses, dining/liquor package, or even use it to book another cruise.

What suite would you be upgrading to?  RC has the "Royal Suite Class" on Harmony meaning different levels of suits have different perks.  All suites include priority embarkation and debarkation, but Star Class does this best. 

The Key includes:

• Priority check-in and boarding
  • Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom
  • Exclusive welcome lunch at Chops Grille® 
  • Private hours at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider®  and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 
  • Priority port of call debarkation
  • Reserved seating at shows in the Main Theater, Aqua Theater and Studio B.
  • VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet
  • Choice debarkation with an exclusive a la carte breakfast

The lowest is Sea class which is all the junior suites.  Perks are very limited (upgraded bath products, pillow top mattress, and dinner at Coastal Kitchen, the suite restaurant, upon availability).  If this is the case, do The Key and not JS.  Here is the Sea Class web page: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass/sea

The next tier is Sky Class which includes Crown Loft Suites, 1 Bedroom Grand Suites, 2 Bedroom Grand Suites, 1 Bedroom AquaTheater Suites, Spacious 1 Bedroom AquaTheater Suites, and Owner Suites.  Perks include updated bath amenities, full access to Coastal Kitchen, Concierge, Unlimited Voom- which is internet, and Suite Lounge access among others.  If this is the case, do Sky.  Here is the webpage on Sky Class: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass/sky/

The final tier is Star Class which is 2 bdr AquaTheater Suites, Spacious 2 bdr AquaTheater Suites, 4 Bedroom Villa Suite, Star Loft Suite, and Royal Loft Suite. Perks include everything from Sky plus Royal Genie- personalized butler service which is amazing, drink packages, included specialty dining, included gratuities- but not for genie, VIP access and seating at everything, and pretty much everything and anything you can think of:-). Here is the webpage for Star:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass/star/

Hope I was helpful!

Edited by Allura_317

17 minutes ago, Allura_317 said:

What suite would you be upgrading to?  RC has the "Royal Suite Class" on Harmony meaning different levels of suits have different perks.  All suites include priority embarkation and debarkation, but Star Class does this best. 

Junior suites (sea class) do not receive priority debarkation.   Sky and star class do get priority debarkation. 

With the Key, are you really going to be getting $40/day (assuming two people in cabin) worth of perks? 

Lunch first day only at Chops. 

Some reserved area seating at shows so you don't need to make reservations (but you still need to show up early because all seats are released 10-15 minutes before show time). 

Internet service for two devices at a time.

Special sessions on Flowrider and rock wall.

Somebody will take your carryon luggage to your room before it opens at 1.

A pastry tray while waiting to debark the ship.

If the value of these is worth the $40/day to you, go ahead.  Or pay double or triple cost of a balcony for a suite (lots of benefits, more room).  

Most of the folks on the ship don't bother buying this stuff but Royal is pushing it because it is almost pure profit for them.  

If you plan to be on the ship most of the time I wouldn't upgrade to a suite or get the key. Arrive early on embarkation and you will be able to take advantage of activities on the ship when others are out doing excursions. You can prebook your shows on Harmony. I'd put the money towards a drink package.

We love being in a suite, (for the extra room and the suite lounge) but I don't  think the suite  gives you the perks of Embarkation Lunch at a specialty restaurant, special times for activities on board, or a full  breakfast before you leave the ship in the Dining Room.  So if those are things you would enjoy, I would get The Key.  We will be getting the key as soon as it is available for our upcoming cruise.  I think that all of the perks sound great!!!

Should have mentioned this in other post, but if you check the big Key thread (later pages since early are just speculation before it started) you will find that the big reason to book the Key is the extra time on the Flowrider.  

1 hour ago, twinsaj said:

We love being in a suite, (for the extra room and the suite lounge) but I don't  think the suite  gives you the perks of Embarkation Lunch at a specialty restaurant, special times for activities on board, or a full  breakfast before you leave the ship in the Dining Room.  So if those are things you would enjoy, I would get The Key.  We will be getting the key as soon as it is available for our upcoming cruise.  I think that all of the perks sound great!!!

Star Class does.

11 minutes ago, frank808 said:

But not debarkation like you posted earlier.  Did not want to mislead cruisers booking sea class to think they had both as you posted.

My bad, did not type it as I though I did, haha.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  I will edit it.