When was your first Royal cruise?

Wolffie89

April 2003 - Legend if the Seas from Honolulu around the Hawaiian Islands and up to Ensenada Mexico. I can still remember seeing the ship for the first time and being surprised how massive it was! Then in 2012 we were on Splendour out of Venice and it looked tiny compared to some of the massive ships in port that day!

Sept 2007 we tried Royal On the AOS after several Carnival cruises , first cruise out of San Juan , we took at least 6or t more out of San Juan , I will hold all of them fondly in memories as my wife passed away last year of Brain Cancer. But God has led me on a new adventure and Now I am starting new adventures with a wonderful new women  On cruises that we never Did On Royal ,  Quebec City  this Fall and Alaska coming up this May . Life is an adventure live it to the fullest . 

3 minutes ago, frito58 said:

Sept 2007 we tried Royal On the AOS after several Carnival cruises , first cruise out of San Juan , we took at least 6or t more out of San Juan , I will hold all of them fondly in memories as my wife passed away last year of Brain Cancer. But God has led me on a new adventure and Now I am starting new adventures with a wonderful new women  On cruises that we never Did On Royal ,  Quebec City  this Fall and Alaska coming up this May . Life is an adventure live it to the fullest . 

Awww, congrats on your new adventures - so sorry for your loss but so wonderful you have great memories! Life isn't promised, don't waste a day!

I just couldn't resist a posting this photo. Can't you tell how thrilled they were to be dressed up for formal night. 

The kicker being an entire family at our table in main dining room never showed up til formal lobster nite. And they showed up in jeans and tee shirts. Remember this was 2004

20190119_160402.jpg

18 hours ago, Wolffie89 said:

It was funny looking at my past cruises and seeing this.  So long ago!

It should be interesting to read this, I see there are a lot of responses already. My first cruise should have around the same time for our 20th anniversary, but I didn't want to to go, so I put it off 5 years and didn't cruise till 2006, then I was hooked and took over all the booking and planning. 

4 minutes ago, BillOh said:

It should be interesting to read this, I see there are a lot of responses already. My first cruise should have around the same time for our 20th anniversary, but I didn't want to to go, so I put it off 5 years and didn't cruise till 2006, then I was hooked and took over all the booking and planning. 

I remember You I chit chatting several times about cruises  when I lived in Oh . life has now led me to TN . I am still cruising but My wife passed , and I now have a new cruising partner and last NYE was her first cruise so it was like starting all over again. Hope all is well with you in the Buckeye state .

• Like 1

My parents took me on a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Grandeur of the Seas for my university graduation in 1998. It was my second cruise (first at 17 aboard the Norway) but this is the one that got me hooked. 

Of course cruising was an entirely different experience back then with formal nights, meeting the Captain at the Captain's dinner (and getting a photo), formal sittings only, midnight buffets, etc, etc. 

First on RCI was on Voyager to Bermuda when she first moved to Bayonne. Joined CC just prior to the cruise and got great helpful advice. We had sailed several other lines before this but it was great to be on a ship less than an hour from home. 

First (and last) RCCL cruise was Serenade of the Seas, November 2014.  That cruise was terrible.  First cruise out of NOLA after it's transatlantic and about 1/4 to 1/3 of ship's staff left due to wage dispute.  We had to pick up a bunch of extra help when we docked at Falmouth next to Oasis.

That said, I'd like to try one of the bigger ships.  Food choices (especially opening times - nothing open between 2 and 5:30 except a small place in the adult area??? c'mon...) were VERY limited on Serenade.  Only ship I've ever been on that A) didn't have a poolside pizza or grill option and B) only one that ever brought up everyone's luggage through the passenger elevators on embarkation day.

That said, everyone talks about how great the Oasis class is, so we'd like to try it, but they seem like they are getting in the Disney ballpark as far as pricing goes, and if I'm going to pay that, well, I'd rather go Disney.  

It seems to me that Princess and Carnival (or RCCL non-Oasis) tend to be much more reasonable...

Edited by bmc alabama

Our very first cruise! When Royal still had ships in California. Monarch of the Seas April 2008 a 4 day to Catalina Island and Ensenada. We also loved the Viking Crown Lounge. We would go up there every evening, have a drink and watch the sunset before dinner. Sadly that was Royal’s last year in California

We have cruised every year since then at least once a year. The majority on Royal.

Edit to add: We thought that ship was so huge. Now our favorite ships are the Oasis class. Haha! 

Edited by rkkunk

November, 2001, Sovereign of the Seas to the Bahamas.  Right after 9/11.  Airport security was very tight to say the least.  Had a great time!  My very first cruise was in November, 1988 on the Emerald of the Seas (Admiral Cruises), which was bought by Royal.  I am still trying to add points from that cruise! 

Navigator B2B Eastern med and TA, October and November 2018. Converted our Celebrity Elite status to Diamond,  

Loved the ships now we only cruise Royal.  BTW, our first cruise was on the Crown Monarch in 1991,  the last cruise line to offer 7 day cruises out of the port of Palm Beach.