Hawaii from California -- Passport/Birth Certificate

DAllenTCY

When the Eurodam departed 2 weeks ago, 11 staterooms (by my unofficial count) were denied boarding because they did not have the proper proof of citizenship.

Please read "Know Before You Go" and bring your required documents.

David

P.S.  Photocopies or cell phone images of Passports are not sufficient.  Neither are drivers' licences (solely),  military IDs, or expired PPs.

PLEASE do not pack your Passports in luggage and drop off with the porter!  You need your documents at the check-in counter.

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

I don't understand this, you're not leaving the USA, so driver's license should be enough, unless you had a stop in Ensenada, then you need your passport..

the trip HAS to stop in Ensenada or somewhere else in Mexico or the cruise would be in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act. Only NCL has a ship that is exempt.

• Like 3

You are definitely leaving the USA.......which recognizes a 12-mile limit offshore.

The ship has a scheduled stop in Mexico on the return leg.....and whether or not you decide to step off the vessel, you are in Mexico when the ship ports there.

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/data/us-maritime-limits-and-boundaries.html

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

When the Eurodam departed 2 weeks ago, 11 staterooms (by my unofficial count) were denied boarding because they did not have the proper proof of citizenship.

Please read "Know Before You Go" and bring your required documents.

David

P.S.  Photocopies or cell phone images of Passports are not sufficient.  Neither are drivers' licences (solely),  military IDs, or expired PPs.

PLEASE do not pack your Passports in luggage and drop off with the porter!  You need your documents at the check-in counter.

(bold is mine) When we did our first Alaska cruise, it was from Vancouver and we stayed at the Pan Pacific. When the porter came to collect our luggage, he said, "Please don't be offended, but I need you to show me your boarding passes and passports so I know they aren't in the luggage."  I wasn't offended. It's always good to be certain that you've got those docs with you.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

(bold is mine) When we did our first Alaska cruise, it was from Vancouver and we stayed at the Pan Pacific. When the porter came to collect our luggage, he said, "Please don't be offended, but I need you to show me your boarding passes and passports so I know they aren't in the luggage."  I wasn't offended. It's always good to be certain that you've got those docs with you.

Nice of the porter to check for you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

I don't understand this, you're not leaving the USA, so driver's license should be enough, unless you had a stop in Ensenada, then you need your passport..

No.  For a closed loop cruise (begins and ends in the same US port), the minimum legal requirement for US citizens is a birth certificate, plus (for those 16 and over) a government-issued photo ID (driver's license or state ID).  

This has no bearing on what the PVSA requires.  The PVSA is only concerned with where the ship transports passengers, not what ID they use.

The PVSA requires a foreign port stop on all cruises, for non-US flagged ships.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Another good one to remember and adhere to is that your passport has to be valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of one's travel

You changed your picture again, time to go back to work on a ship...

• Haha 1

Just now, Shmoo here said:

A good guideline, but not always required.

Yep, depends on where you're going on your cruise :classic_cool:

As a side note, Calif (and likewise, the the other 49 states) is getting/already has a combination driver license/Real I.D. card which will be a requirement for flying even domestically eff. Oct 1, 2020. Using your current/old DL for that purpose won't cut it

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

As a side note, Calif (and likewise, the the other 49 states) is getting/already has a combination driver license/Real I.D. card which will be a requirement for flying even domestically eff. Oct 1, 2020. Using your current/old DL for that purpose won't cut it

Well, the it seems the "new" California ID/license may not meet the requirements yet - they're working on it.....

38 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Well, the it seems the "new" California ID/license may not meet the requirements yet - they're working on it.....

47 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Is this a federal law and, if so, do you have the cite to it?  What is the purpose - anything related to the current preoccupation with illegal immigrants?

17 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Is this a federal law and, if so, do you have the cite to it?  What is the purpose - anything related to the current preoccupation with illegal immigrants?

The Real ID Act of 2005, Pub.L. 109–13, 119 Stat. 302, enacted May 11, 2005, is an Act of Congress that modifies U.S. federal law pertaining to security, authentication, and issuance procedures standards for state driver's licenses and identity documents, as well as various immigration issues pertaining to terrorism. (wikipedia)

So it pretty much pre-dates the "preoccupation" with illegal immigrants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

The Real ID Act of 2005, Pub.L. 109–13, 119 Stat. 302, enacted May 11, 2005, is an Act of Congress that modifies U.S. federal law pertaining to security, authentication, and issuance procedures standards for state driver's licenses and identity documents, as well as various immigration issues pertaining to terrorism. (wikipedia)

So it pretty much pre-dates the "preoccupation" with illegal immigrants.

However, that does not explain why this law would take 15  years to take effect.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding Copper, but I thought he said that effective next year we cannot simply use our driver's licenses to board domestic air flights - that we also need another I.D.  Did I misunderstand?

Just now, Tampa Girl said:

However, that does not explain why this law would take 15  years to take effect.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding Copper, but I thought he said that effective next year we cannot simply use our driver's licenses to board domestic air flights - that we also need another I.D.  Did I misunderstand?

Nope; you got it right! Check it out

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

5 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

If you have a Florida Driver's License, check to see if you have a gold star in the right hand corner.  If you do, you have a Real ID Florida license. 

No star means you need to get yourself down to DVM or find another government issued ID that meets the requirements when you fly.

The RealID for Florida is nothing new. I needed to show all the required documentation the last time I renewed my Florida license in 2010.

13 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

It took 15 years for it to take effect for many reasons. Ones that I can think of quickly, many states were reluctant to participate, many states have long effective times for their licenses, I believe there were a couple of court cases, etc. Each of these, and more, caused the extensive time for it to take effect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

I live in the golden state and have to renew my license by early April.  When I went online to renew, it said I needed to bring certain documentation to the DMV to get a "real ID".  I had the option to get a non-REAL ID but I fly a lot for work and don't want to wear out my passport for domestic travel.

Edited by akeka
bad grammar

7 minutes ago, akeka said:

I live in the golden state and have to renew my license by early April.  When I went online to renew, it said I needed to bring certain documentation to the DMV to get a "real ID".  I had the option to get a non-REAL ID but I fly a lot for work and don't want to wear out my passport for domestic travel.

The "easy" docs to bring to your DMV appointment and to satisfy their requirement are:

1. Current valid passport

2. Utilities (gas/electric) bill that has your home addr on it

3. Social Security card (the original)

45 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

If you have a Florida Driver's License, check to see if you have a gold star in the right hand corner.  If you do, you have a Real ID Florida license. 

No star means you need to get yourself down to DVM or find another government issued ID that meets the requirements when you fly.

The RealID for Florida is nothing new. I needed to show all the required documentation the last time I renewed my Florida license in 2010.

Thanks for the heads-up.  My license was renewed in 2014 in Hillsborough County, and I do remember taking in the necessary documents required by the Act.  However, neither my license nor that of DH's has the gold star. Yet, Florida is a compliant state and has been gradually implementing the Act since 2008.  Go figure.

However, the website states that a passport can be used in lieu of a DL.  Since my license does not expire until 2022, I will wait and just use a passport.