A 10:45 Flight Out Of Barcelona

kitty9

IMO it's not worth the risk. If you miss the flight for any reason (of your own), what would be your alternatives? You would most likely be out of money for that flight and have to buy a new ticket at last minute prices - and it may not even be for the same day, depending on availability.

• Like 1

Roll the dice! Odds are not in your favor to make it, too many variables. I know on HAL you can request a very early disembarkation where if you have tight flights they allow you off. I will be on Riviera for the first time next year and have no idea how they operate. Barcelona is a very congested airport and travel time in the highway if during the week is heavy so I hope you can make changes and do a later flight. Not worth it to me to stress on a flight that chances are I will not make. 

Good Luck and I hope for you all works out👍

Denise😊

How about spending the night in Barcelona and taking that flight the next day?  I know that's easy for me to say -- not everyone has the option of adding a day onto a trip.  But even getting to the airport from a Barcelona hotel (with a 3 hour recommended check-in time) wouldn't be easy for a 10:45 flight.

Besides, Barcelona is a great city to visit ... assuming you haven't been there before.

Personally, even if we were docking at 4am (which has never happened on our cruises ending up there) I wouldn't try for such an early flight.

Mura

• Like 2

I agree w/ Mura, spend at least one night in Barcelona - we used Barcelona Day Tours to get picked up from the Rivera, did a full day tour of Barcelona & Montserrat, then they dropped us off near our hotel.  We stayed at Hotel Colon (across from Barcelona Cathedral) - great hotel staff - they ordered a cab for us to go to the airport.  There's a fair amount of traffic (and we had an early flight).  We just did the Mediterranean on the Rivera in November.  Barcelona is worthwhile to spend a least a day.  

More time would be better (!) but again, I realize now everyone has that kind of time.  But Barcelona is such a wonderful place that you could spend two weeks there and not see everything!

We've done it three days here, three days there over the years.  But certainly rather than kill yourselves trying to get an early morning flight that you're likely to miss anyway, take it easier.  Spend another day or two there and THEN go to the airport.

Hope it works out for you.

Mura

I have to agree. I've been there 3 or 4 times and always have done something different. On my last trip I took the HOHO bus for the first time and was amazed at all the areas we haven't been to. The next time we are leaving there for a cruise I'll probably go in a few days early. 

On 2/20/2019 at 3:04 PM, kitty9 said:

Will we make a 10:45 am flight out of Barcelona after our Riviera cruise in June?  It’s the best flight for us to get home. 

Last May we had an 11:45 flight out of Barcelona. We left the ship at 8:00 am and made the flight with plenty of time to spare. I think you can make a 10:45 if you leave earlier than 8:00 am. It is a short cab ride to the airport.

2 hours ago, carosou said:

Last May we had an 11:45 flight out of Barcelona. We left the ship at 8:00 am and made the flight with plenty of time to spare. I think you can make a 10:45 if you leave earlier than 8:00 am. It is a short cab ride to the airport.

You are correct - if everything goes 100% well then OP may be OK.

I would be more comfortable with this risk if the flight was from Miami or NYC where if you miss the flight you have tons of options and not at the cost of a last minute international flight.

Getting a new flight from Barcelona home is a different matter if OP should miss the flight.

JMO.

Hello, Kitty9.

Listen to StanandJim. We are veterans of Barcelona's airport. We have flown in and out many times. True, if everything is perfect,  a 10:45am flight is possible. However, this airport gets in the way of perfect. We once had trouble getting out of the place. On the plane, we were given the wrong carousel number. After our last TA, Miami/Barcelona in 2017 on Explorer, we stayed on for several days. No problem with departure.

Mary

I am probably one of the few people who is not keen on the city, but have flown out of Barcelona airport numerous times. It can be done, but the traffic in the morning heading towards the airport can be awful and unless you can leave the ship very early you will not make it - as the previous poster said, "don't do it".

It appears you ship is not overnighting in Barcelona. Therefore, the ship has to clear first. If you are the first off then you need to get your luggage or you can carry it off to expedite matters. You need to get a taxi. The ride to the airport is 30 minutes. The only thing in your favor is if it is a Sunday with little traffic. If the required time to be at the airport  is 3 hours prior to a flight then you need to be there at 7:45 am. Your disembarkation is 8 am. Even if you ignore the 3 hour rule you are cutting it real close. If the moon and the stars align you can make it but I would not take the chance. If there is even a minor hiccup then you will have to put up with a lot angst. I totally understand the inconvenience of connections or waiting around an airport for hours. If you have the time and the funds stay in Barcelona. It is a delightful city.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:04 PM, kitty9 said:

Will we make a 10:45 am flight out of Barcelona after our Riviera cruise in June?  It’s the best flight for us to get home. 

It has been a while and you likely have worked everything out, but just to weigh in, we are on Sirena in April and May, and we decided to spend the night in Barcelona as we just could not get a flight home on the same day. That will be our 16th Wedding Anniversary, so we are just going to celebrate in Barcelona rather than spend it flying home. 

I hope you worked it all out!

Stacy

Barcelona airport is close to the pier. If all goes well, it should take you less than 30 minutes to get there.  Be prepared to carry your own bags off the ship. Reserve a taxi to take you.  Have an idea of alternative plans. Unless time is very limited, I would stay in Barcelona and fly out a day or 2 later. Barcelona is a beautiful city.  

I have flown out same day and made it work.  

As someone who lives near Barcelona, I would simply add a couple of thoughts.

First, the problems are not determined by the distance but the time. If you're arriving on Sunday, the taxi will get there in less than 30 minutes. There's a fixed price from port to airport, which is bad business (for passengers) on Sunday morning, good business when traffic is heavy. So ensure you know the fare, as it won't necessarily correspond to the taximeter.

The biggest time factor is passport control at the port. If you hold a European passport, it's a breeze, but if not, the police are obliged to go through the passports one-by-one and that could take considerable time. It's the same for us when we arrive in the US; we see American citizens pass by in a much faster queue than ours. It's doable (on Sunday morning), but a bit risky on other days. Besides, there are often waits in the summer months at Barcelona airport check-in; not all American airlines have fully operative do-it-yourself systems and luggage drop-off yet, at least not in 2017, in the same way as they do in the US, (Iberia, Lufthansa do); security can also take time, and there has been an ongoing dispute between airport authorities and staff, and you don't have to be a genius to work out when they decide to act. Summer 2017 was a total disaster; 2018 was OK, 2019???

If possible, stay a night in Barcelona and have a pleasant day, providing circumstances permit. I'd also add that there's also fixed tariff from Barcelona to the airport, 15-20 minutes. There are, as yet, no airport hotels worth speaking about.

Enjoy

43 minutes ago, elbowroom said:

There's a fixed price from port to airport, 

What is that fixed price?

Also, is there a fixed fare for reverse - airport to city center?

Do they still charge extra for each piece of luggage?

TIA.

Edited by Paulchili

The port-airport fare is a flat rate of 39€, which includes all surcharges. 

I've seen that the airport-city fixed rate no longer functions, so it depends on traffic and luggage.

Looking at the tariffs, it works out to be just a little less.

here's a useful link: https://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn-transport/100-taxi-prices-barcelona

1 hour ago, elbowroom said:

As someone who lives near Barcelona, I would simply add a couple of thoughts.

First, the problems are not determined by the distance but the time. If you're arriving on Sunday, the taxi will get there in less than 30 minutes. There's a fixed price from port to airport, which is bad business (for passengers) on Sunday morning, good business when traffic is heavy. So ensure you know the fare, as it won't necessarily correspond to the taximeter.

The biggest time factor is passport control at the port. If you hold a European passport, it's a breeze, but if not, the police are obliged to go through the passports one-by-one and that could take considerable time. It's the same for us when we arrive in the US; we see American citizens pass by in a much faster queue than ours. It's doable (on Sunday morning), but a bit risky on other days. Besides, there are often waits in the summer months at Barcelona airport check-in; not all American airlines have fully operative do-it-yourself systems and luggage drop-off yet, at least not in 2017, in the same way as they do in the US, (Iberia, Lufthansa do); security can also take time, and there has been an ongoing dispute between airport authorities and staff, and you don't have to be a genius to work out when they decide to act. Summer 2017 was a total disaster; 2018 was OK, 2019???

If possible, stay a night in Barcelona and have a pleasant day, providing circumstances permit. I'd also add that there's also fixed tariff from Barcelona to the airport, 15-20 minutes. There are, as yet, no airport hotels worth speaking about.

Enjoy

+ 1   We were there both years and 2017 took forever to get thru.  

I suppose I view this as what are your alternatives if you miss your flight: 

1. When does your airline ( or partner) have their next flight out?

2. What will it cost you for a new ticket if you miss your original flight?

3. Are you flying during high season or low and are many flights already overbooked or undersold?

This exact same quest has been asked 20 times or more on this Board. Rarely is anyone advised to take that early flight. You might make it, but what if you don’t?

2 hours ago, elbowroom said:

The port-airport fare is a flat rate of 39€, which includes all surcharges. 

I've seen that the airport-city fixed rate no longer functions, so it depends on traffic and luggage.

Looking at the tariffs, it works out to be just a little less.

here's a useful link: https://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn-transport/100-taxi-prices-barcelona

Thank you - very helpful info.