Alaska with new cruisers - what to do?

Alsmez

We are X fans but have been talking about doing a cruisetour to Alaska on Princess for a long time. My parents (late 70s), who have never cruised before, recently decided that they would like to go on a cruise with us and told me yesterday that they want to go to Alaska (after previously considering Cuba). We are more than happy to go to Alaska, but it sounds as though they want to fly to Seattle to spend a day or two there pre-cruise, then do a round trip 7-day, no land tour of Denali, etc. Since we won't be doing a land tour, I'm wondering if there's really any compelling reason to choose Princess over Celebrity, other than the fact that Princess goes to Glacier Bay. 

The Princess itinerary is on Ruby and includes:

Seattle, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising), Ketchikan, and Victoria, British Columbia

The Celebrity itinerary we would consider would be on Solstice (or Eclipse, but probably Solstice):

Solstice rt out of Seattle: Ketchikan, Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Alaska Inside Passage, Victoria - British Columbia 

Eclipse rt out of Vancouver: Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Ketchikan

So no real difference between Solstice and Ruby other than Glacier Bay. We love S-class ships and we think my parents would enjoy Celebrity; never having been on Princess we can't say for sure that it would suit them. They enjoy museums, classical music, bridge (Mom), lectures, etc., and good food and service would be a priority. Prices for a standard balcony are currently comparable on paper but Princess isn't offering any perks at the moment, so we'd have to pay for the drink package/other perks or wait and hope for a deal during a Sip n Sail event. One other issue is mobility - my dad has bad knees, and I am a little concerned that S-class ships, with only two elevator banks, might require more walking than he wants to do. I noticed that Ruby has three, might make things a little easier. What would you do? Thanks in advance for any advice!

The Alaska Cruise Critic forum will be a great help.  It is located under "Ports of Call."  I suggest spending time skimming through the trip reports, which are organized by year, at the top of the Alaska forum index.

But as I understand your post, your parents just want to do a 7 day Alaska cruise.  Since, at least in my opinion, the best itineraries are the 7 day north (or south) bound trips from Vancouver to either Seward or Whittier, have you considered doing a northbound, saying good bye to the parents in Anchorage (where they would fly out of to return home) and then doing your own DIY land trip?

I have heard frequently that the one-way trips are the best - if it were just going to be us, that's definitely what we'd do. I'll have to check on flights out of Anchorage to see if I can convince my parents to do it the way you suggest. I think my mom was trying to minimize flying time, but we'll see!

We are booked on the Eclipse out of Vancouver in August and it'll be our second cruise to Alaska. The first was 10 years ago on the Norwegian Pearl out of Seattle and we took in Glacier Bay as well as Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican.

For a first time cruise and with limited mobility, I would suggest anything that stops in Skagway. The train up into the Yukon is a must-do, as is a whale-watching excursion. What am I talking about? EVERYTHING is a must-do!! We plan on more whale watching, a salmon bake and the crab fishing (Deadliest Catch) excursions, but these are subject to change.

We managed to book while X was offering the Premium drinks package, free gratuities, wifi and $300 OBC. On top of that, we are getting $375 from our TA and another $50 loyalty bonus, for a total of $725!

Anything else you want to know?

10 hours ago, Alsmez said:

We are X fans but have been talking about doing a cruisetour to Alaska on Princess for a long time. My parents (late 70s), who have never cruised before, recently decided that they would like to go on a cruise with us and told me yesterday that they want to go to Alaska (after previously considering Cuba). We are more than happy to go to Alaska, but it sounds as though they want to fly to Seattle to spend a day or two there pre-cruise, then do a round trip 7-day, no land tour of Denali, etc. Since we won't be doing a land tour, I'm wondering if there's really any compelling reason to choose Princess over Celebrity, other than the fact that Princess goes to Glacier Bay. 

The Princess itinerary is on Ruby and includes:

Seattle, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising), Ketchikan, and Victoria, British Columbia

The Celebrity itinerary we would consider would be on Solstice (or Eclipse, but probably Solstice):

Solstice rt out of Seattle: Ketchikan, Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Alaska Inside Passage, Victoria - British Columbia 

Eclipse rt out of Vancouver: Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Ketchikan

So no real difference between Solstice and Ruby other than Glacier Bay. We love S-class ships and we think my parents would enjoy Celebrity; never having been on Princess we can't say for sure that it would suit them. They enjoy museums, classical music, bridge (Mom), lectures, etc., and good food and service would be a priority. Prices for a standard balcony are currently comparable on paper but Princess isn't offering any perks at the moment, so we'd have to pay for the drink package/other perks or wait and hope for a deal during a Sip n Sail event. One other issue is mobility - my dad has bad knees, and I am a little concerned that S-class ships, with only two elevator banks, might require more walking than he wants to do. I noticed that Ruby has three, might make things a little easier. What would you do? Thanks in advance for any advice!

We did Alaska with NCL because Celebrity doesn't do Glacier Bay.  Glacier Bay is awesome.

11 hours ago, Alsmez said:

I noticed that Ruby has three (elevator banks), might make things a little easier. What would you do? Thanks in advance for any advice!

If you select a midships cabin on the Eclipse or Solstice, your dad would be in the center of pretty much everything except for the theatre, sky lounge and forward open decks for scenery viewing. 

Too bad elevators only move vertically....

Another consideration for your dad would be that there are no dead-ends on the S-class ships. To the best of my memory no matter what deck you are on, you can walk from bow to stern without detours.

A one-way Alaskan cruise is definitely preferred. On Princess you can find one-ways that visit both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay; or take Celebrity visiting Hubbard Glacier but not Glacier Bay.

However, Princess is more expensive. We booked Aqua class on the Millennium with two perks for July 2020 for only $10 pp more than a regular balcony on the Grand Princess without any perks.

2 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

A one-way Alaskan cruise is definitely preferred. On Princess you can find one-ways that visit both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay; or take Celebrity visiting Hubbard Glacier but not Glacier Bay.

However, Princess is more expensive. We booked Aqua class on the Millennium with two perks for July 2020 for only $10 pp more than a regular balcony on the Grand Princess without any perks.

Yes, this is the issue - it sounds like Glacier Bay is an absolute must and you can only get it on Princess. I'm sure DH and I will visit Alaska again but I don't know if my parents will, so I want to make sure they see as much as possible of the good stuff. 

1 hour ago, misspuss said:

Have you. though of renting a battery operated scooter for your dad? I have bad knees, also and it has changed my cruising experience for me.

My father would benefit enormously from this but he would NEVER agree to it. Stubborn doesn't even begin to describe. :)

16 hours ago, Guindalf said:

For a first time cruise and with limited mobility, I would suggest anything that stops in Skagway. The train up into the Yukon is a must-do, as is a whale-watching excursion. What am I talking about? EVERYTHING is a must-do!! We plan on more whale watching, a salmon bake and the crab fishing (Deadliest Catch) excursions, but these are subject to change.

Thanks for the info about the train - that is something both of my parents would love. My debate currently is really Celebrity vs. Princess - if Celebrity did Glacier Bay we would absolutely choose X, but I don't think we want to miss the most iconic part of Alaska on what might be my parents' only trip there.

6 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

Yes, this is the issue - it sounds like Glacier Bay is an absolute must and you can only get it on Princess. I'm sure DH and I will visit Alaska again but I don't know if my parents will, so I want to make sure they see as much as possible of the good stuff. 

Would it surprise you that as someone who actually lives in Alaska I am somewhat mystified by the tourist fascination with Glacier Bay?  Hubbard is one of the few tidewater glaciers which is actually advancing.  Those in Glacier Bay are retreating.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Would it surprise you that as someone who actually lives in Alaska I am somewhat mystified by the tourist fascination with Glacier Bay?  Hubbard is one of the few tidewater glaciers which is actually advancing.  Those in Glacier Bay are retreating.

Interesting! I read about Hubbard the other day and it sounds like it's the best place to see spectacular calving - the problem is that it seems only to be included on one-way itineraries to or from Alaska. Unless I can convince my parents that the long flight to or from Anchorage is worth it, it won't be an option for us. 

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I agree with Hubbard over Glacier Bay.  Having done both multiple times, I would rather see Hubbard - it's spectacular!  I've done Alaska on X and Princess and my personal opinion is Princess does a better job with Alaska.

Been to Alaska 5 times.  The only way to go, in my opinion, is to cruise to Skagway, take the train to the Yukon Border, hop a bus and go to Whitehorse then to Dawson.  From Dawson take a river boat to Eagle then a bus to Denali. Take train back to Anchorage then take another cruise back to Seattle or Vancouver.  It is called a cruise/land tour - Princess and Holland America both have them.  One of the best cruises we have ever been on (been on 30+ cruises).

Most of the 'ports' in Alaska are what I call tourist traps like the ones in the Caribbean and there is little to do there except shop and a few other local attractions. 

BUT,  Alaska no matter where you are is absolutely drop dead beautiful.  Go just for that reason alone.   And go when the salmon are running.

We've done Alaska twice, roundtrip from Seattle on Star Princess and then southbound from Anchorage on Royal's Radiance. Both were incredible experiences. I don't think you can go wrong either way. The roundtrip out of Seattle just made us want to see more of Alaska, which was how we ended up doing the southbound, as part of a cruise-tour.

I can understand your parents' reluctance with a flight to/from Anchorage. It's the longest flight we've been on to date, and I was miserable because we didn't get the extra legroom seats. My somewhat shorter parents, also in their early 70s, weren't bothered by it at all.

The Hubbard Glacier is jaw-droppingly amazing, but it is not uncommon for it to be missed due to fog. You'll still see glaciers on the roundtrip, and if you've never seen one, you won't know what you're missing anyway.

Bottom line: If a roundtrip out if Seattle is what they are comfortable with, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

If convenience is important, go out of Seattle as there are many nonstop from the East Coast.  It is much more challenging flying out of Anchorage due to times and connections.  Seattle is a great place to visit pre-cruise as we did it and had a great time.  Tours will pick you up at your hotel if you don't want a car rental.

For the first time to Alaska,,   a round trip cruise would be just fine for your parents and they would probably be happy.  And so will you!

Why not lay out the options for your dad (unless it's a surprise)? 

One way to do the one-way without one extremely long day of flying is to spend a day or two in Vancouver or Seattle before the flight to Anchorage. If you do the southbound voyage, the cruise will be a nice way to recover from flying even if you don't break up your flights with a city stay.

So, we've narrowed our choices (sort of): after some confusion over my mother mistaking Celebrity for Carnival, we are now down to a Seattle roundtrip or a Seattle-Vancouver trip on Ruby Princess or Celebrity Solstice. My parents don't want to fly in or out of Anchorage but would like to see both Seattle and Vancouver on this trip. While it would be easy enough to take the ferry to Vancouver if we do a Seattle round trip, the Sea-Van loop gives us more cruise options; however, those itineraries don't include Glacier Bay, they go to Endicott Arm-Dawes Glacier instead. So, here are the pros and cons:

Ruby Princess 7-nights RT Seattle

Pros: Glacier Bay and general Alaska expertise, ship has three elevator banks for Dad, fun new experience for seasoned X cruisers to enjoy.

Cons: More expensive than X at the moment (between $1650-1750 for a midship balcony on cheapest sail date, no perks or OBC), no Sea-Van itinerary.

Celebrity Solstice 7-nights RT Seattle OR 7 nights Sea-Van

Pros: Possibility of easy visit to both Sea and Van, familiarity with S-class ships and X product in general, less expensive than Princess at the moment ($1500 for a C3 or 2C, $1700 for an A2, with one perk and $200 OBC).

Cons: No Glacier Bay, only two elevator banks.

Not such a huge price difference on paper but the extra perks on Celebrity add up. We would definitely take the drink package as our perk for a savings of $400ish for the cruise; my parents would likely take the OBC or tips. We also prefer not to eat in the MDR, so we'd have to pay for specialty dining on Princess whereas we could choose AQ on Celebrity for the same price as a regular balcony on Princess and eat in Blu. We can certainly afford the Princess itinerary but as those little things add up, a difference of $600-800 could pay for a lot of excursions in Alaska.