Dress requirements for MDR

ken_nyc

True story

Twenty or so years ago we had a young lady? wear a skimpy negligee to dinner.

They had some provocative pictures taken, which surprisingly were displayed in the photo gallery.

Two or three days later they were kicked off the ship in Georgetown, Cayman Islands for doing drugs. 

11 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Yeah pamper the snowflake! 🙄

Bash someone actually asking a question.. SMH..

To the OP.. As has been said, it is a suggestion.

And sorry you are getting attacked for asking a question..

What your kids or my family wears to dinner is of absolute no interference to someone else's enjoyment of their cruise.

But, they will come on a MB with the sole intent of letting you know what they feel is "Right"

• Like 2

A suggestion is only a nice way as saying that you should be dressed appropriate for the evening.  Dress suggestions are never really a suggestion, but for some reason, it has become an "excuse" for not doing something.  Just like suggested rules of etiquette would say you should not answer your phone, in church, there is no rule against it, if you don't mind being "that person" who thinks, they are more important than everyone else.  I was once visiting a church where the sign said, you must have your shoulders covered etc.  Someone argued and I'm not kidding, that it doesn't apply to them because they are visiting. 

My kids always wore a tie at dinner for formal nights.  They always wore appropriate pants at dinner.  Never a t-shirt or baseball cap.  Yes, they complained sometimes, but I'm the one that is responsible for teaching proper respect.  Today, they convey that same level of respect as adults, and my eldest son, makes sure his kids are dressed up when needed. 

So this thread, like all others before it, tries to convince everyone that suggestions mean to ignore the rule, and that no one, including kids, should respect the evening, and the atmosphere. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Joseph2017China said:

So this thread, like all others before it, tries to convince everyone that suggestions mean to ignore the rule, and that no one, including kids, should respect the evening, and the atmosphere. 

So about that check in time "suggestion"......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

A suggestion is only a nice way as saying that you should be dressed appropriate for the evening.  Dress suggestions are never really a suggestion, but for some reason, it has become an "excuse" for not doing something.  Just like suggested rules of etiquette would say you should not answer your phone, in church, there is no rule against it, if you don't mind being "that person" who thinks, they are more important than everyone else.  I was once visiting a church where the sign said, you must have your shoulders covered etc.  Someone argued and I'm not kidding, that it doesn't apply to them because they are visiting. 

So in your opinion,  you're saying a suggestion is mandatory?

1 hour ago, tutzig said:

So in your opinion,  you're saying a suggestion is mandatory?

It's not an opinion, but rather a way of society of being polite.  For example, if I were to suggest wearing jeans, on a hike because we were going through heavy underbrush with thorns etc and you showed up, wearing shorts, and flip flops for the hike.  I made the suggestion, and you chose not to follow it, because you really did not want to wear what was suggested.  It's suggested you wear sunscreen, but no one makes you.  As a society, the word suggestion, usually means that a certain behavior is expected at an event.  Protection from the sun, certain behavior at a religious service, a costume at a costume party.  Go to a wedding party, where the invitation says formal wear suggested, and you show up as the only person in shorts and a polo.  Sure, no one will turn you away, but that suggestion wasn't really meant, to ignore. 

So if I suggest that you wear mittens to pick up hot pot, you would.  It's because today, people use the excuse of "suggestion" to mean, that you will do what you want if it doesn't fit what you want to do at the moment. 

So no, suggestion is not mandatory, but it certainly is expected. 

I want to see formal night erased on a cruise ship in the Caribbean.  But until that happens, suggestion will always mean expected. 

• Like 1

Dressed appropriate has such a different meaning for everyone.   If you think it is a big deal for your kid to have dress pants, tie and jacket, go for it.  If you are okay with your child in shorts and a t-shirt, go for it.  Suggestions are just that, not mandatory.  Do what makes you feel good and enjoy your vacation.

I say this as someone who loves cruising, and RCI in particular, but I have to laugh reading comments about MDR dress code that talk about "respecting the atmosphere."  The atmosphere... really?  Of a mass-market, budget cruise line?  Even though I don't think I've ever worn shorts in the MDR, the "atmosphere" of a Royal Caribbean MDR is 100% a shorts-type atmosphere if I've ever seen one.

Wear what you want!  Also, don't allow what other people wear to affect your cruise/night/atmosphere/mood/etc.!

• Like 2

Every time this subject comes up I flash to a Little Rascals episode where Spanky is tasked with dressing a very young Wheezer who is laying on his back and thrashing his legs because he does want to put his big boy pants on. "Stop it... Put these pants on.... Stop it."

17 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Don’t know if either one of you have raised children. However, it has been my experience as a parent that you choose your battles. Since the dress code isn’t enforced there is no need to battle.

This. So much this. 

There will be other battles of much larger importance.

Tine (mom of two 26 yo and 21 yo)

40 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

This. So much this. 

There will be other battles of much larger importance.

Tine (mom of two 26 yo and 21 yo)

Mine are 23 and 26. Bigger kids bigger problems. I now understand the, "Enjoy them while they are young" comments that older parents would make.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

In case it was missed....there is no formal night on Navigator. 

Papaflamingo, you are going off the deep end a bit lately with your parenting advice and cross dresser photos all over the site.  

HUH?   Oh yeah..... well come on, it was funny.   You lose your sense of humor or something? 

And I'm not giving parenting advice.  But I guess I was "old school."  My kids didn't rule the house, my wife did.  And my grandkids are required to obey the rules in MY house.  No exceptions.  When we paid for their cruise, they dressed according to OUR wishes, or they could stay home.  I figure that's fair.  But anyone is certainly free to make those choices for their own families.  

Edited by papaflamingo

1 minute ago, ken_nyc said:

I was told by Royal Caribbean that on the 4 nighter there is one formal night.

Navigator is going to follow the same format as Mariner for the 3 and 4 night sailings; no formal night. 

The phone agents at Royal only have a 50:50 shot at knowing their company uses floating ships. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Don’t know if either one of you have raised children. However, it has been my experience as a parent that you choose your battles. Since the dress code isn’t enforced there is no need to battle.

AMEN!
Wise man!

6 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Navigator is going to follow the same format as Mariner for the 3 and 4 night sailings; no formal night. 

The phone agents at Royal only have a 50:50 shot at knowing their company uses floating ships. 

That's a higher probability than I would have given them!:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, thistimeplease said:

Could someone point out to me where the OP asked for opinions on parenting?  I thought the OP asked if shorts would be allowed in the MDR.

Exactly on point!

I didn't and wrote that it is a sticky topic for some and I expected people putting their nose into the discussion that wasn't asked for. Everyone has an opinion and you know what the saying is. 

11 hours ago, KimPossible1 said:

Not true, "more people will not be in pants", most people are in shorts including women and since pants aren't required why "school" the OP about parenting skills.  I saw every aspect of dress on formal nights.

It's because people have no life with nothing better to do than stay on Cruise Critic and find things to criticize, they get off on it.

9 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

A suggestion is only a nice way as saying that you should be dressed appropriate for the evening.  Dress suggestions are never really a suggestion, but for some reason, it has become an "excuse" for not doing something.  

You have the term suggestion confused with 

pas·sive-ag·gres·sive

Dictionary result for passive-aggressive

adjective
  1. of or denoting a type of behavior or personality characterized by indirect resistance to the demands of others and an avoidance of direct confrontation, as in procrastinating, pouting, or misplacing important materials.

If the cruise line had a backbone and enforced a dress code it wouldn’t be a sugggestion.
  • Like 1

My son is 12 and he would love to dress up every night, but that is not the same kind of clothes he wears around home.  So, I would have to go out and buy a lot of clothes to allow him to do this.  I will be buying him enough for both formal nights (no jacket, but he will have dress pants, shirt, tie).  If he didn't want to do this I would not force him.  It's his vacation too.  He can remember when he was younger wearing a tuxedo (I got from a friend) and all the attention he received from other passengers and the staff.  He now wears adult size clothes that come with adult size price tags, and if he keeps growing the way he is he will outgrow them in the next few months.  He is 5'10" now and doctors told us he would be around 6'6" by the time he's finished.

Because it is just a suggestion, each person has the right to choose to do what they want.  People should not make them feel bad about their choices.