Who owns Who

rvmike

He might be wrong but also said NCl was in receivership when O bought them.No big deal just curious. Wife did a NCL cruise years ago and won’t go back. We have done 35+cruises and was looking at other options, 6 on Oceania.

12 minutes ago, rvmike said:

He might be wrong but also said NCl was in receivership when O bought them.No big deal just curious. Wife did a NCL cruise years ago and won’t go back. We have done 35+cruises and was looking at other options, 6 on Oceania.

Did you take a look at the link I posted above? 

3 hours ago, rvmike said:

This is completely wrong. NCL was not in receivership and O didn't buy them. NCL was a profitable publicly traded company when its parent holding company, NCLH,  absorbed the privately held Prestige Cruise Holdings (PCH), which was the parent company of Oceania and Regent Seven Seas. Originally Prestige Cruise Holdings was going to be taken public as a separate company, but Apollo Management, the private equity company that at the time held controlling  interest in both NCLH and PCH decided it made more sense to have NCLH absorb PCH.

It was years earlier that NCL was in financial trouble (but even then it wasn't in receivership), when Apollo Management acquired 50% of NCL for $1 billion. Under Apollo's management NCL became a profitable company and eventually was taken public.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure hybanyone would expect a TA to have their head around the ownership of varios Cruis Lines, actual NCL does own O or R, NCHL (think that the right order) owns all three, just like is wrong to say Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity or Carnival owns Princess, Eoyal Caribbean International owns Royal Caribbean Cruises and Celebrity Cruises amd Carnival owns Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruise Lines, ( and others as well).

13 hours ago, rvmike said:

Hate to tell you this, but I think your TA is full of it. I could be wrong but I don't think NCL was ever in receivership. Let me add, if you are accustom to cruising Oceania and took a cruise that did not stand up to your standards stick with Oceania or try Regent. Each line, regardless to who owns it has a special charm. Those who cruise the mass marketed lines do not, usually cruise luxury lines and those who enjoy the pampering and atmosphere of upscale lines will never be satisfied with any mass marketed line. 

BTW, it is an interesting question but unless you are playing cruise trivia I don't know what difference it really makes who owns who. Like someone mentioned lines like Princess are owned by Carnival, RCI owns Celebrity and so it goes. 

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah....if my TA lied to me that tells me he wasn’t being honest about other things.  I wouldn’t want a TA that is dishonest.

The TS might not be lying, he/she just might not know about the ownership structure of the cruise line. It's not a big deal if they just don't know.

I could care less if my mechanic knew the ownership structure of the various brands of cars or about GM's restructuring. All I care about is that he can fix my car. 

I could care less if Manny Machado knows what the Padres will have to do to get the $300 million they will be paying him. All I care about is if Manny can hit and field the ball for the next 10 years. 

I could care less whether my doctor knew about the ownership structure of the various drug companies. All I care about is if she knows which bone is connected to the thigh bone.  :classic_biggrin:

Now, if it was the OP's stock broker who was telling him this tale that would be another matter entirely. "Hey I've got a hot tip on Oceania stock..."

Good points. 

I’m a little sensitive about dishonest TA’s.  I had one several years ago who kept steering me away from certain trips I wanted to take (some of them land trips, some of them cruises).  

On a couple of cruises I was trying to book, both with Carnival, she vehemently claimed Carnival was going out of business and was under investigation, although I had heard nothing of the kind was happening.  I’m not sure how TA commission is structured, but she kept steering me away from Carnival.  I finally got a new TA, and found out that Carnival paid less than the other cruise lines for bookings at the time.  This happened more than once.  Obviously, Carnival is alive and well and  is still operating and expanding.  

NCL is building new ships, and is expanding, too....much like Carnival was at the time.

The OP’s TA sounds a lot like my former one.  Tell them anything, even if it’s a lie, to move them to another cruise that pays more.  

Moral of the story, if you find a good one, stick with them.  If you find one that plays hard and fast with the truth, might want to find another TA.

10 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

I would not hold it against the TA - they have a lot to try and remember. The merger/buyout happened several years ago now so he may have got some of the details wrong. As long as he doesn't screw up my bookings I would not dump him over this.

Agree, I don’t see a huge issue here..what does it matter? 

2 hours ago, rvmike said:

Sure doesn’t take much to get pantys in a wad on these boards

IF the TA is telling you something in hopes of getting you to book a more expensive Oceania cruise instead of NCL, that's one thing (bad TA).

IF the TA is simply mistaken, it's no big deal. 

Saying that Oceania owns NCL is almost like saying that Dodge owns FIAT. 

We are looking at Regent for our next cruise around Africa. This topic just came out in shooting the ****. Our Ta has been with us for 20 years and never pushes cruises on us, just answers our questions. We had a really bad Stewart on Celebrity once and just mentioned it to him. Several weeks later we received a $500credit for our next cruise because he went to bat for us with  celebrity. Does your ta do things like that?

Edited by rvmike

On 2/25/2019 at 2:14 PM, rvmike said:

Regent over Oceania. Both are great, but Oceania still charges service charges and drinks. Also the service is not quite as good.

Frank Del Rio, who founded Oceania and then acquired Regent to form Prestige Cruise Holdings, was the CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings when it was acquired by Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings.  And he became the CEO of NCLH after the acquisition.  Often in a corporate acquisition the key issue is which organization's management assumes control of the combined entity, not which legal entity acquires the other.  (sometimes which is the acquiring and which the acquired organization is determined primarily by tax or other financial considerations.) 

• Like 1