LIVE review: Navigator of the Seas ABC Islands (1st-10th March)

EmilyJay

1 hour ago, Muerz said:

Thanks again for all your updates. Two more questions: If you have the Surf and Stream package, how fast is it? Is it actually fast enough to download a few tv episodes onto my iPad over night? Have you had the chance to take a few pictures of the food menus? Enjoy your cruise!

It varies, it can be pretty slow at peak times. 

I had some issues even loading Facebook earlier today, but now it’s running well. 

I think if you can download something overnight you should be fine. Currently I have a internet speed of 1.6mbps. 

5 hours ago, Canadian1 said:

EmilyJay  Hope you are having a lovely, fun, relaxing cruise so far!  I do have another question for you if you don't mind.  My family hasn't seen an ice show since they moved to Europe almost 20 years ago, so they are really looking forward to this on the ship.  I'm just wondering if you can tell me how they are handling the seating on this.  I know in the past I have gotten tickets for them in advance, first come first serve, but i think I read somewhere that people were lining up 45 minutes before.... which made me think it was first come first serve with no pre-tickets given.  Can you confirm for me how it will work?  Thanks so much if you can.  From what I have seen posted on social media this ice show looks pretty cool.  On a different note hopefully we also get the roaming piano player 🙂

Cheers and as always thanks for the consideration 🌴

Seeing the ice show tonight so will let you know how busy it is. 

You can’t book in advance for any shows on Navigator. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EmilyJay said:

@Paulette3028 Only the Riptide is open which is the head first on a mat slide. It’s fun, not too fast unless the instructor gives you a push and not too much water in your face. I’ve been on it a few times, unfortunately the other slide hasn’t been open at all yet. 

The gym is also closed, so a temporary one has been set up in the solarium. 

Head first slide --- I just can't imagine for me....normal waterslide (feet first) I am good for.  Sad situation for the gym because many people use more than the treadmills.....and having some set up in the Solarium wouldn't be comfortable since it is 'open air'....but alas things not ready is the problem fresh out of refurb.    

Just curious, if anyone knows how many additional cabins they put on Navigator?

Day 3: Sea Day Continuted... 

We had dinner in the Main Dining Room tonight for formal night, we booked reservations prior to the cruise and had no wait when we got there. 

Not very many people were dressed formally, lots of baggy tee’s and shorts.

(Pic attached of the menu) I opted for Escargot to start which was delcious, well the sauce was. I just couldn’t get the fact I was eating snails out my head although it was surprisingly really nice, I just couldn’t eat all of them. 

Then I had the vegetable casserole for main (I completely forgot to take a picture, by the time I remembered I’d destroyed the meal) which was so so good. Lots of flavour and a little kick of spice but not too much. 

Cheesecake for pudding which was fine, but no Cheesecake Factory cheesecake that’s for sure. 

We went to watch a show in the theater after dinner called ‘showgirl.’ You could easily turn up 15 mins before and get a seat. 

At first I thought what the f am I watching, it was the cheesiest thing I possibly had ever seen, BUT, it got good. It was their first show on Navigator and you could tell, however it is a feel good kind of show going through the past, present and future of showgirls. Some of the dancing was excellent.

Once we left the Main Dining Room, there were alot more people dressed formally. Most people were just dressed ‘casual-nice’ or in shorts and t-shirt but there were a handful of people in gowns and tuxs. 

8E786AF7-78E9-4B0D-BDA5-E89EFF596155.jpeg

DED7E6EF-2183-41B0-AF2D-65CA79E0EDFC.jpeg

Day 4: Labadoozie, lets get boozy. 

This morning we docked in Labadee!! I was looking forward to visiting here as it has been a few years since we’ve been, as our last cruise we had a change of itinerary due to hurricanes so didn’t get to visit. 

We had nothing fully planned today, so had a later breakfast in the Windjammer and then got off the ship which was hassle free. 

The weather was fantastic, clear blue skies and hot. 

We walked to Nellies Beach and set ourselves up on a lounger, the sea was beautiful, crystal clear waters and not that cold. 

First drink of the day was a Labadoozie, because it’s 5 o’clock somewhere right?! 

I noticed how much more Labadee has compared to a few years ago, a great games area and alot more activities on offer. 

You can rent floating mats for $19 for the whole day, Paddleboards for $15 per 30 mins and kayakas. Over on the rocky beach near the ziplines you can rent a small bed cabana for $40.  Everything on Labadee gets charged to your seapass cards. 

We spent most the day at the beach, we went and had a look at the lunch on offer but it was crazy busy. There was alot of fruit, and I could see hotdogs, burgers, salad and cakes. 

About 2.30pm we headed back to the ship, and stopped by the frozen yogurt stand. 

Plenty of pool sun loungers available today! 😉 

I took a closer picture of the children’s splash zone today, it’s pretty small and half of it is closed. But I’m sure children enjoy playing in there. 

If your child is potty trained and not in diapers they can use the main pools. 

D640CBC5-D876-4D3F-8239-A967C1E1DA6E.jpeg

3CA51D9F-29FA-42AD-B5D6-2333AA91873B.jpeg

6004B1C0-5515-475E-9C3E-CCD31F6F599F.jpeg

1B7526C7-2529-4845-8F64-730759E6CDAC.jpeg

13EB050E-B3A2-4DBC-B2DE-4ADEDBBDF01F.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 11:50 AM, tiessa said:

Deck 4, Promenade, Port Side, I think.  None by the pool!  They moved it to Deck 12. Up stairs outside  of the Windjammer and up the steps.  Small, crowded with some lounge chairs and no tables right in the morning sun with no shade.

That kind of sucks for people who smoke. I have to quit, save money and inconvenience.....:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

Your photos are fabulous!

When my kids were on Navigator, there was no splash area (obviously) and the pools were super crowded - so my 4 year old spent a lot of time just sitting in the wading area on the side of the pool. I think that even though the splash area is small - it will be very welcome for the kiddos and their parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was disappointed too. I'm not a huge fan of seafood but would've gone for a taster if available.

I wouldn’t give up hope yet - it’s the first cruise and there are a lot of new staff on board etc...I think that this could still happen in time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, EmilyJay said:

Day 4: Labadoozie, lets get boozy. 

This morning we docked in Labadee!! I was looking forward to visiting here as it has been a few years since we’ve been, as our last cruise we had a change of itinerary due to hurricanes so didn’t get to visit. 

We had nothing fully planned today, so had a later breakfast in the Windjammer and then got off the ship which was hassle free. 

The weather was fantastic, clear blue skies and hot. 

We walked to Nellies Beach and set ourselves up on a lounger, the sea was beautiful, crystal clear waters and not that cold. 

First drink of the day was a Labadoozie, because it’s 5 o’clock somewhere right?! 

I noticed how much more Labadee has compared to a few years ago, a great games area and alot more activities on offer. 

You can rent floating mats for $19 for the whole day, Paddleboards for $15 per 30 mins and kayakas. Over on the rocky beach near the ziplines you can rent a small bed cabana for $40.  Everything on Labadee gets charged to your seapass cards. 

We spent most the day at the beach, we went and had a look at the lunch on offer but it was crazy busy. There was alot of fruit, and I could see hotdogs, burgers, salad and cakes. 

About 2.30pm we headed back to the ship, and stopped by the frozen yogurt stand. 

Plenty of pool sun loungers available today! 😉 

I took a closer picture of the children’s splash zone today, it’s pretty small and half of it is closed. But I’m sure children enjoy playing in there. 

If your child is potty trained and not in diapers they can use the main pools. 

D640CBC5-D876-4D3F-8239-A967C1E1DA6E.jpeg

3CA51D9F-29FA-42AD-B5D6-2333AA91873B.jpeg

6004B1C0-5515-475E-9C3E-CCD31F6F599F.jpeg

1B7526C7-2529-4845-8F64-730759E6CDAC.jpeg

13EB050E-B3A2-4DBC-B2DE-4ADEDBBDF01F.jpeg

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with all of us. It helps just to have a sense of how it is on board a ship that has had so many changes made. Looking forward to the experience. (Sorry to hear about the chair hogs. That is such selfish behavior.) Are there any chairs or sections of the ship where alcoves or cabana like seating is available , even at a fee?

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

That kind of sucks for people who smoke. I have to quit, save money and inconvenience.....:classic_unsure:

It really is not bad.  The deck 12 spot turned out to be much better than originally thought.  We all need to quit and save money but the spots are not inconvenient.  Not to worry.  The smoking situation is fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are onboard and our biggest gripe is that Adventure Ocean has been closed the whole sailing with no alternatives at all. Each day we are vaguely told they hope to open it tomorrow, but I finally spoke to the AO director last night and was told it isn’t passing safety inspections so they don’t know if it will open at all. Pretty unreasonable for families with children. 

6 minutes ago, AliSunshine27 said:

We are onboard and our biggest gripe is that Adventure Ocean has been closed the whole sailing with no alternatives at all. Each day we are vaguely told they hope to open it tomorrow, but I finally spoke to the AO director last night and was told it isn’t passing safety inspections so they don’t know if it will open at all. Pretty unreasonable for families with children. 

This has got to be a huge disappointment for the families.  It will be interesting to see if any compensation is offered.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AliSunshine27 said:

Wow, hopefully that does get cleared up, a 10 day cruise without that would be something quite different than expected.   There ios only so much they can do without port supplies in these projects so if I were to venture a guess it would open the day after the first port stop.  Then again if something is blatantly failing you probably don't want the kids in their either.   If it drags on beyond then there's a good chance it won't be open at all.   Worth a trip to guest services at the least.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lolaash said:

@EmilyJay Can you confirm that there is no longer a designated reserved sunbed area for suite guests?

If you go to Twangster's thread with videos, there's a pool deck walk through that shows a reserved area.

Editing to add that there's also a photograph and a deck plan showing where it's located.

Edited by CazV

1 hour ago, AliSunshine27 said:

If it hasn't been able to pass safety inspections, I imagine the next safety inspection would be when it returned to home port. I wonder what kind of safety inspections it needs?  

Not a good experience for families, as already said on a longer cruise.

@AliSunshine27 I didn’t realise it was still closed!! I heard it should have been opened yesterday. That’s rubbish for all the kids as they seem to really enjoy Adventure Ocean. 

On our first sea day the staff were going around the pool at about mid day offering some games in the corner, but nothing that would keep them entertained for more than 10 mins. 

If it’s a health and safety issue, it must be to do with that area of the ship as they had kids in the Windjammer cafe doing dinner drop off. 

@Lolaash I did a walk around the deck this morning and saw a reserved area with loungers, assuming this is for suite guests. I have also noticed reserved seating in the theatre/ ice shows. 

• Like 1

Day 4: Labadoozie, lets get boozy continued. 

Dinner tonight was in the Windjammer, with a Mexican theme plus all the usual stuff. Again, absolutely no problems being able to get a table. 

I have also located 2 more freestyle machines in there.

After dinner required a power nap, 1 labadoozie too many I think. 

@Canadian1 After the power nap we went to the Ice Skating show iSkate. You definitely need to be there 20-30 mins prior to the show. It was a full house and people were reserving rows of chairs. 

If you’re a solo traveller or a party of 2 you should be ok to turn up 15 mins prior but definitely the earlier the better. 

The show was AMAZING!! So clever how they’ve done certain bits of it and the stunts, speed and just everything they do on a small rink is insane. 

I highly recommend seeing this show. 

Tonight we also had to change our clocks 1 hour forward to be on the same time as the ABC islands. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmilyJay said:

Dinner tonight was in the Windjammer, with a Mexican theme plus all the usual stuff. Again, absolutely no problems being able to get a table. 

@Canadian1 After the power nap we went to the Ice Skating show iSkate. You definitely need to be there 20-30 mins prior to the show. It was a full house and people were reserving rows of chairs. 

If you’re a solo traveller or a party of 2 you should be ok to turn up 15 mins prior but definitely the earlier the better. 

The show was AMAZING!! So clever how they’ve done certain bits of it and the stunts, speed and just everything they do on a small rink is insane. 

Tonight we also had to change our clocks 1 hour forward to be on the same time as the ABC islands. 

We loved when we did the ABC islands on Navigator.....that was our 2nd sailing on her and we hope to do another at some point --- the waterslide calls me!

2 hours ago, EmilyJay said:

EmilyJay, thanks so much for the info! On the Indy and Freedom they gave coupons out, I think the afternoon of the show or the day before... interesting to see its first come first serve.  I will definitely be there long before the start time. If the snipits of what I have seen on social media are an indication of how the show will be, it is worth the wait.   Thank you for confirming the amazing part 🤗 

Living vicariously through you for now.

Happy chilling!

I feel like I should pay you for all this info!!!  And now for my miniscule and petty question.   For those of us who will be sailing in the future but aren’t ponying up for the deluxe drink package, can you check with the bars and see if and when they are selling beer cards or drink cards? Much thanks. 

Edited by guidomerkns