Upgrade Classic beverage to Premium beverage?

Citymom92

5 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

a couple of brands taste like the asthma meds I had to take as a kid (that we now know did nothing for asthma).

I didn't know that.  Interesting.  

3 hours ago, wendyam76 said:

Hi fellow Aberdonian! You can call and ask them to add the perk drinks package any time - I often do when I see a good offer on the upgrade. They have to manually add the perk. I’ve done this several times before final payment. 

Wendy 

Another Aberdonian here!  Been in the States most of my life but I am heading hame in May!

18 minutes ago, scottygirl said:

Another Aberdonian here!  Been in the States most of my life but I am heading hame in May!

How lovely! How long is it since you last visited? Lots of changes here. We are actually going to be getting some cruises departing from Aberdeen next year.

2 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

How lovely! How long is it since you last visited? Lots of changes here. We are actually going to be getting some cruises departing from Aberdeen next year.

Sadly it's been a long time, I was a wee bairn.  I still have a lot of family there and will be going with my 80 year old father.  What cruise line will be departing from Aberdeen?

55 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thanks. I may just stick with the Classic and bring a water bottle to refill from my cabin sink. I’m picky about bottled water - a couple of brands taste like the asthma meds I had to take as a kid (that we now know did nothing for asthma).

I would just wait and see what is onboard, very easy to upgrade once onboard. The supplies change depending on the location, also each ship is run slightly differently.

I am also an asthmatic, which drugs are you referring to? I used to be given one in Australia that started with “T” that worked really well but was suddenly not available and never explained ... hmm?

1 minute ago, teamflames said:

I would just wait and see what is onboard, very easy to upgrade once onboard. The supplies change depending on the location, also each ship is run slightly differently.

I am also an asthmatic, which drugs are you referring to? I used to be given one in Australia that started with “T” that worked really well but was suddenly not available and never explained ... hmm?

This was liquid quibron. My parents would have to have one of the, hold me and hold my nose to force my mouth open while the other would pour the dose down my throat and give me a kool-aid chaser.

16 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

This was liquid quibron. My parents would have to have one of the, hold me and hold my nose to force my mouth open while the other would pour the dose down my throat and give me a kool-aid chaser.

What a nightmare.  I can imagine that has resulted in horrible associations with certain tastes and smells in your lifetime.  I have the same repulsive reaction for cherry flavored meds for something I took as a kid.. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 7:20 PM, teamflames said:

we just got off the Eclipse, first time on X in 2 years. No discounts on upgrade once onboard. We upgraded and later downgraded, no premium water or beer in most of the outdoor bars (really only in passport bar). Regularly cheated and used cheaper versions, especially on wines and spirits so if you do upgrade make sure you watch the pour. I drank 2 Woodford Reserves and at another bar it was clearly an inferior product. Watched them use cheap wine and spirits on multiple occasions and then just lie to my face. They refunded me and downgraded back to classic. It was much better in the restaurants and indoor bars. We found bar service to be very mixed and overall a bit disappointing.

I had the same experience on  the Equinox a few weeks ago.  Even getting call drinks within the classic package was hard at the pool bars.  I would ask for Malibu rum, and only one bartender would listen.

19 minutes ago, closecruiser said:

Can you get frozen drinks with the classic package.  Pina Coladas or frozen mudslide, etc....

Thanks 

Yes. Also frozen toasted almond almonds, frozen daiquiris of many varieties, margaritas frozen or un frozen, mudslides, frozen grasshoppers etc. etc.

Can you get coffee drinks like Cafe Mochas with the Classic Package? Also, is there a difference in the types of coffee drinks available between the Classic Package and Premium Package?

Edited by BBQ Lover

14 minutes ago, BBQ Lover said:

Can you get coffee drinks like Cafe Mochas with the Classic Package? Also, is there a difference in the types of coffee drinks available between the Classic Package and Premium Package?

I always have gotten cappuccinos, café latte, and all the other premium coffees on the MDR or Blu menus included for no extra charge on the Classic package as well as whatever I've ordered at Café al Bacio. 

Called to upgrade on Equinox for Nov 2020 b/c it seems likely prices will go up. We can always cancel before departure if they change from offering single malts.. 

Edited by mayleeman
typo

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, sasset said:

Over the course of a day, something about like: 2 Martinis, 2-3 glasses of wine, 2 bottles of Evian water, a latte, 1 beer

Does it add up to $50-60/day (or whatever the premium package costs)?

We upgraded by calling back in December, I think, for our November Summit cruise.

It works for us because we spent a lot of time at the World Class bar on Equinox.  It was hubby's favorite.  He drinks Scotch and I prefer some higher end bourbons that aren't available on the Classic.  Plus, I can order anything and it was never a charge, including better wines at dinner (there were some amazing martinis that I tried that I wouldn't have without the Premium package). 

I did have a charge once for a special very high end Hungarian dessert wine, but it was like $5, so the Premium package was worth it. And we met another couple on the cruise so ended up at dinner with them every night.  With the premium package, we got a 20% discount (instead of 15%) on a bottle of wine, too.

Heck, it'd be worth it to me just for the sparkling water upgrade!  I drink a ton of sparkling water normally, and so much more when on a cruise. 

If you want to compare here are the pages for the drink packages:

Classic List

Premium List

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Does it add up to $50-60/day (or whatever the premium package costs)?

Not sure it would if I was paying $69/person/day, but I bought the Classic package bundled in (and it didn't add anywhere near $59/person/day in cost) with my cruise fare and then upgraded.  But that was before the current pricing where you do not have to purchase any perks.

So if you already have the Classic, it's $11.80/person/day and we made that up easily because we do prefer top shelf liquor and always ask for it.  I also liked being able to get better quality wines without having to consider how much they were per glass.  And the better sparkling water was a huge benefit for me.

But it is a calculation that only you can make.  Our friends that we met kept the Classic because her husband really only drinks beer.  And she preferred fruity type cocktails so never cared about the liquor in them.

Most people would get the package from the perk as it had the highest value and often more expensive than adding the perks to the booking. If you have an inside cabin, you may have limited option in perk. For the inside cabin on the cruise I book, there is no option for adding perks. For my balcony room, the net cost for the classic beverage package is only $100pp for a 7 night cruise instead of $59 per day plus gratuity as I paid $500 for 2 perks in a cabin which gave me $300 OBC plus two classic drink packages. If we upgrade to premium, it would be like $30 per day in total cost including gratuity which is less than 2 drinks.

• Thanks 1