Smart Casual

I'm a notorious overpacker and I have no intention of changing. I like to have a choice of clothing and backups for base items (like trousers) and shoes.

I've had a waiter spill a whole pomegranate martini over me. Pure accident but I ended up very wet and sticky. Luckily I had a spare pair of trousers and alternative tops.

I've had my sneakers get so soaked in a downpour that they were unwearable for two days. They took that long to dry out even though they were very light sneakers. 

I've had a strap break on a pair of evening sandals but I had a second pair, and also on a pair of walking sandals when I didn't have a spare pair.

I do try to pack clothing that is fairly lightweight but some things can't be compromised in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm a notorious overpacker and I have no intention of changing. I like to have a choice of clothing and backups for base items (like trousers) and shoes.

I've had a waiter spill a whole pomegranate martini over me. Pure accident but I ended up very wet and sticky. Luckily I had a spare pair of trousers and alternative tops.

I've had my sneakers get so soaked in a downpour that they were unwearable for two days. They took that long to dry out even though they were very light sneakers. 

I've had a strap break on a pair of evening sandals but I had a second pair, and also on a pair of walking sandals when I didn't have a spare pair.

I do try to pack clothing that is fairly lightweight but some things can't be compromised in my opinion.

Definitely in your club but would like to cut down a bit.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

We generally pack the same for a one week trip as we do for an 8 week trip.

My basic list is 3x day shirts (polo shirts) and 3x evening shirts. 1 shorts, 1 black trousers, 1chinos, 1 Jacket, 3x underwear, 3x socks, black joggers, thongs and boat shoes, swimmers, rashie, hat, toiletries, the rest is holiday specific.

My husband could manage with this....does your wife take more ?

I'm the queen of minimalist packing! On warm weather cruises I only pack dresses, and ones that don't need ironing.  

I'll have one sundress/maxi style for each day plus a spare.  I'll shower in the afternoon and put a clean one on with strappy sandals for drinks/dinner.  Then wear it again during the day for schlepping around the pool or ports, where I'm going to get grubby anyway.  I mix it up so I'm not wearing the same dress 2 days in a row 🙂  Thongs for the pool, Birkenstocks for ports.  

Then one stretchy 'Little Black Dress' that will be worn to 2 formal nights with a different cardi or pashmina or something so it's not too obvious.  (Though I also have the fabulous Sacha Drake 5 way dress which is brilliant for travelling and can be tied to look different each time.)

Swimwear and a couple of sets of gym gear which get washed out in the shower each day, and I'm good to go!

On 3/5/2019 at 10:53 AM, NSWP said:

Pair of nice strides (trousers) and smart collared shirt, long or short sleeve.   I hate that word 'pants' for trousers, too Americano. No thongs please with evening wear, sorry 'flip flops.'  Thongs can be worn on Princess Cruises, but hidden from public view, please.

Now the Brits wear socks with their sandals, that is a no, no.:classic_ohmy:

I'm 46 and I don't know anyone my age or younger that uses the terms trouser or blouse (unless it's a trouser snake). They make me think of old people clothes. Pants and tops/t-shirts are what people I know say.

I personally think polo shirts are for golf and are below smart casual - more like active wear for an elderly gentleman.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:58 PM, lyndarra said:

Yep, I'm now down to a 13kg suitcase for up to 4-5 week tours/cruises. I only take 3 pairs of footwear - one pair for day wear and traveling, another pair of nice shoes for dinner or casual wear and and pair of sandals or thongs (weather/climate dependent). Shoes take up far too much room in luggage but they can be handy for packing socks and undies in them.

Sounds great but I need proper gym shoes and I definitely would not wear them for any other occasion other than exercising. I take nice sandals and thongs; we always dine  in the MDR for lunch and I don't feel comfortable wearing thongs (not sure if it's even allowed) - well on Celebrity anyway

1 hour ago, messej01 said:

I'm 46 and I don't know anyone my age or younger that uses the terms trouser or blouse (unless it's a trouser snake). They make me think of old people clothes. Pants and tops/t-shirts are what people I know say.

I personally think polo shirts are for golf and are below smart casual - more like active wear for an elderly gentleman.

That is the most common male demographic on a cruise ship.

1 hour ago, messej01 said:

Sounds great but I need proper gym shoes and I definitely would not wear them for any other occasion other than exercising. I take nice sandals and thongs; we always dine  in the MDR for lunch and I don't feel comfortable wearing thongs (not sure if it's even allowed) - well on Celebrity anyway

Thongs are generally not allowed in the MDR, definitely not for dinner seatings but enforcement is another thing.

2 hours ago, messej01 said:

Ah but 46 and 70 is a big generation gap, different speak, I am a trousers man, not a pants man.   Do you say Movie or Filum? 

On 3/5/2019 at 3:12 PM, MicCanberra said:

Yes, may as well not have a code if they do not enforce it.

My neighbours and their kids do Carnival, singlets and board shorts 24/7.😡  When I was on Carnival Spirit in 2006 - Alaska, it was an American ship, formal nights, tuxedos all the way.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My neighbours and their kids do Carnival, singlets and board shorts 24/7.😡  When I was on Carnival Spirit in 2006 - Alaska, it was an American ship, formal nights, tuxedos all the way.

Carnival do not allow singlets and or shorts in the MDR for dinner, especially if formal night.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Carnival do not allow singlets and or shorts in the MDR for dinner, especially if formal night.

You were obviously not on the last Carnival Spirit trip we were on. Going again early May.