Mardi Gras to feature Emirel Lagasse restaurant

jimbo5544

This will definitely be a stop for a quick bite appetizer or something, but we tend to stay away from the extra cost food options as we have always thoroughly enjoyed the MDR food.  Breakfast is usually lido.  However, something small like sushi, or in the case of Emirel, the ceviche, is not out of the question.

So, a couple of observations:

Anyone notice the irony of Carnival announcing Emeril's notionally upscale (i.e. a minor luxury) restaurant on The Mardi Gras on Ash Wednesday (first day of Lent, where you give up one or more luxuries), the day after Fat/Shrove Tuesday (i.e. "Mardi Gras")?

I wonder whether they aimed for Tuesday but were just a little slow getting the news out...

Regarding capacity:

The sushi joints on board hold less than 60 people, as far as I can tell, and they are not exactly overflowing despite the extra charges being fairly low (i.e. not Steakhouse @ $38 or whatever).

So yeah, Emeril's will be full at first, but maybe, with all the other options that the Mardi Gras is supposed to have, it will just be one of many different places to dine for a slightly extra charge, and it won't "usually" be crowded or with line-ups.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

True, if there will be other dining options then I understand Emerill's only having to accommodate up to 60 people.  I do hope there be more dining options.

From what I've seen, the Mardi Gras will have pretty much every dining option Carnival has.

For me this is a good thing but I am not overly excited.  That being said I would certainly give it a go if I cruise on the Mardi Gras.

Emeril is an amazing chef and a great recipe generator.  DW and I were in the audience on Emeril Live! several times, one of which we sat at the food bar and interacted with Emeril.  We also dined at Emeril's and NOLA when Emeril was actually cooking there and the food was unbelievable.  Over the years with the opening of new venues, it is my opinion that Emril's product has been diluted.  Visiting Emeril's and NOLA recently the quality and "Wow" factor have taken a step backwards,  not that they aren't still very good, He is just spread too thin to keep on top of the Chefs and Cooks at all of his restaurants to maintain the standards of the past.  This will be an even bigger step down with Carnival's Chefs being tasked with his recipes.  So I predict it will have better offerings that the MDR for sure, likely on a par withe the Steakhouse but with a Creole / Cajun focus.  Very good for cruise food, but not OMG amazing.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I am hoping for better new dining options.

You can hope, but look at the Horizon and add this and Shaqs place and I think you are seeing what there will be...

• Like 1

But, Emerills is new on the Mardi Gras so it is very possible we be getting more surprises in dining choices.  I tend to think they want to compete with other cruise lines and their mega ships and at the same time have something all new and improved, totally different from what their other ships have.

There still are empty spots on the ship not named, if it were going to be something similar to what the other Carnival ships have they would of added it on the deck plans, so I feel there be more different things on the Mardi Gras.

8 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

But, Emerills is new on the Mardi Gras so it is very possible we be getting more surprises in dining choices.  I tend to think they want to compete with other cruise lines and their mega ships and at the same time have something all new and improved, totally different from what their other ships have.

There still are empty spots on the ship not named, if it were going to be something similar to what the other Carnival ships have they would of added it on the deck plans, so I feel there be more different things on the Mardi Gras.

I wonder when we’ll get an announcement on the Mediterranean seafood restaurant in La Piazza.

Between Emeril’s, the unnamed seafood restaurant, Fahrenheit 555, Cucina Del Capitano, Ji Ji’s, Guy’s Pig and Anchor, and the two Bonsai venues, it would be possible to have a 7-night or 8-night specialty dining package and not repeat a venue. There could even be a variant of the package with the Captain’s Table.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Never say never, we will see.

Doubt there be a Cafe Du Monde since Carnival already announced their JavaBlue Cafe.

My guess for this Seafood place, will be right near the Emerill's Bistro, there is an area on the deck plans that says "New Experience" near the elevators/stairs.

8 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Doubt there be a Cafe Du Monde since Carnival already announced their JavaBlue Cafe.

Perhaps that can just offer CDM beignets and Cafe' Au Lait made with coffee & chicory blend in the Java Blue? 

Just imagine the mess with the powdered sugar!  Maybe they can keep some pigeons on the ship for that true CDM ambiance!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

My guess for this Seafood place, will be right near the Emerill's Bistro, there is an area on the deck plans that says "New Experience" near the elevators/stairs.

So so what do you think the Flamingo restaurant is going to be? The space circled in blue could also be a food venue. I’m thinking the new experience labeled space will be more something more of an experience along the lines of The Icebar on the Breakaway. Just a guess though.

D9FA0FD6-C16A-408A-8FC7-E8A7F9E5EE6F.thumb.jpeg.ce6e75ea262c3860ba0036f46203a650.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 9:50 PM, BoDidly said:

By The Emeril  , Im suggesting the Emeril product itself , not the man .

Of course not . That's my point, the quality of food will fail to be what's expected from land based restaurants.

It may in the beginning but at the prices offered you're not going to get the same product.

Even Guys' product on the ships changed after a few short months.

At those prices what you are going you get is paper plates or similar and perhaps appetizer portions. But it should be superior to any included food.

I think your blue circle in the French Quarter is where the jazz venue (supposedly called “Magnolia”) is going. I have no guess on the “new experience” that fits the French Quarter theme.

The two main dining rooms will be called Flamingo and Palm. I believe these names are throwbacks to the original Carnival ships.

The new Mediterranean seafood restaurant should be where your red circle is in La Piazza, which may mean the Seafood Shack brand may not be making the cut.

The circled spaces on Lido should be Shaq’s Big Chicken and the Pizzeria, although the Deli could be in play here as well. I could see the bar by the Beach Pool being branded as the Beach Bar, with Blue Iguana and Red Frog being a deck higher.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tidecat said:

I think your blue circle in the French Quarter is where the jazz venue (supposedly called “Magnolia”) is going. I have no guess on the “new experience” that fits the French Quarter theme.

The two main dining rooms will be called Flamingo and Palm. I believe these names are throwbacks to the original Carnival ships.

The new Mediterranean seafood restaurant should be where your red circle is in La Piazza, which may mean the Seafood Shack brand may not be making the cut.

The circled spaces on Lido should be Shaq’s Big Chicken and the Pizzeria, although the Deli could be in play here as well. I could see the bar by the Beach Pool being branded as the Beach Bar, with Blue Iguana and Red Frog being a deck higher.

Wow, you did your homework on this post.

My guess/thoughts:

The Flamingo Restaurant could be additional MDR space, maybe for My Time Dining 

Deck 16 where the Blue Iguana Cantina is....  

I believe there be a self serve soft ice cream station somewhere there as well as a Seafood Restaurant and some type of bar that possibly has shaded covering.  

Deck 8

That area that is vacant opposite Pizzeria Del Capitano and Carnival Adventures I feel will be some type of eatery place, maybe a new mediterranean seafood concept eatery.

Deck 6

That blank vacant spot at the French Quarter I feel is where the Jazz Club will be.  It shows a bar there so it all makes sense.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:05 PM, Love-to-ride said:

Now we need a Cafe Du Monde.   

Heck, I'd take a Mornin' Call! (CDM old rival) I've said for years if they ever got decent Beignets folks would line up to buy them on a cruise!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, crusinpsychRN said:

We had terrible food in Orlando. I had fish that tasted like dirt. Daughter had pizza that was way too spicy. Son had steak that was good.

I will have to take your word on the dirt taste.....

• Haha 1