Reflection March 11th 2019 - Live! 🍸😎

MR_T

On 3/13/2019 at 8:16 AM, Luvcrusn said:

Thanks!

Below are the cameras (the bottom of the page 7 items) they have available on this cruise, obviously this could change from cruise to cruise but I guess it gives you an idea... 

hope this helps 🤞🏻 

C14B5764-014A-4749-931B-93DCA8FEFF91.jpeg

1 hour ago, MR_T said:

Below are the cameras (the bottom of the page 7 items) they have available on this cruise, obviously this could change from cruise to cruise but I guess it gives you an idea... 

hope this helps 🤞🏻 

Thanks SO much for this! Now I can do a bit of comparison shopping before my cruise. This price list is a great help.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, MR_T said:

We just spoke to Eddy and he’s due to leave on the 12th April so I believe that’s 1 cruise before the TA? He said someone called Simon (think he said Simon) was taking over? 

Further info regarding the new CD as of the 12th April, taken from another post... 

Simon Akerwolere and is currently on the Equinox. I just returned last week, he was fun, energetic and around everywhere. Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Thanks SO much for this! Now I can do a bit of comparison shopping before my cruise. This price list is a great help.

I don't know what you are looking for, but I'm on my second Olympus (a "Tough" and the earlier comparative), absolutely love it.  Simple point and shoot with video and rated for underwater down to 33 ft.  You also don't have to worry about sand/dirt.  You put it in the sink and turn it on/off to clean it.  An underwater wonder (christmas tree worms in St. Lucia)...

PB120545.thumb.JPG.e99ddb084226b6e26521959923de518b.JPG

6 hours ago, MR_T said:

hope this helps 🤞🏻 

Thanks.   I just did a quick search on Amazon and here are there price.   Amazon of course will have sales tax added for most of us.

Cannon S60 HS   449.00
Canon ELPH360HS 179.00
Nikon w100      156.00
Olympus TG-5   399.00
Fuji Quicksnap Waterpoof 10.99

PD7277, thanks for the recommendation. I want to upgrade our existing DSLR camera with a newer model with WIFI capabilities and greater definition than my current one which is a FUJI. I'm looking for something with a fairly good zoom and fast action to capture pics of the kids sports and dancing. This list gives me a starting point to visit local camera shops to hone in on the features I'll focus on (pun semi-intended). We have an upcoming cruise on Reflection with all four perks and a large amount of OBC, so we'd like to use a big chunk of it for a camera.

Thanks for the price comparisons Jim_Lain. I beat you to it! I'll go to my local camera shop to compare features as well.

Edited by Luvcrusn

20 hours ago, Nymich said:

There is no doubt that it is due to the drink packages.  The more difficult they make it to get a drink the more inventory they protect.  I started cruising when drink packages were scare and they would be selling like mad around the pool etc....

At one time I would have agreed with you, however several years ago DH and I cruised on a Royal Caribbean ship where the only people with beverage packages purchase them and they aren't offered as "free" perks as they are on X. Not once during our two weeks on board were we able to order a drink in the theater (we went each evening). There were no sommeliers in the MDR, when we wanted wine the maître d came to our table to make a few not very educated suggestions, and not once in two weeks at the pool did we see a bar server taking orders. We commented that it was odd that on a ship where the majority of passengers were paying for each drink that service was so lacking, yet on X (a sister company) where most had beverage packages it was easy to get drinks. I think that service across the board may have been cut back. I also think that on port days where many, if not most passengers, are off the ship there are less servers aboard because some crew is given time off as fewer are needed to serve the remaining passengers.

24 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

At one time I would have agreed with you, however several years ago DH and I cruised on a Royal Caribbean ship where the only people with beverage packages purchase them and they aren't offered as "free" perks as they are on X. Not once during our two weeks on board were we able to order a drink in the theater (we went each evening). There were no sommeliers in the MDR, when we wanted wine the maître d came to our table to make a few not very educated suggestions, and not once in two weeks at the pool did we see a bar server taking orders. We commented that it was odd that on a ship where the majority of passengers were paying for each drink that service was so lacking, yet on X (a sister company) where most had beverage packages it was easy to get drinks. I think that service across the board may have been cut back. I also think that on port days where many, if not most passengers, are off the ship there are less servers aboard because some crew is given time off as fewer are needed to serve the remaining passengers.

We can agree to disagree about the impact of the drink packages.   I have had countless times of subpar service and short staffing on all the lines we have gone on.  There are often quite a few happy employees that make the difference so we cruise on.

So for Cartagena we have a private tour booked that someone from our roll call organised, we haven’t been to Cartagena before so we are both excited to visit a new place and see what it has to offer, obviously I’ll report back tomorrow as to how the tour went with further info 👍🏼

Hi All,

So tonight was night 4 and we were planning on going to the main dining room for dinner but after I think a little too much sun coupled with a 30-35 min wait for a table (2 top) and a rocking ship Julie was feeling a little tired and a little delicate so we opted for a quick bite in the buffet instead (and a tummy settler) then came back to the cabin for an early night before our tour day tomorrow, 

we we have the lawn club grill booked for tomorrow so maybe we’ll get to the main dining room on Saturday for our first visit of this cruise 😂 

regarding the food selection in the buffet I found it decent with plenty of choices of meat/fish & vegetarian options so that was good, we went around 7.30pm and it was quite busy compared to other times we’ve been, not busy like lunch time but a few people choosing that option also 👍🏼😊 

• Like 1

MR_T, so glad that Luggage Valet is back. It's such a convenient service that we missed when it disappeared for a short while a couple of years ago. It's a service we've often enjoyed that made the disembarkation/flight home day so much easier. 

I hope Julie feels better to enjoy your tour tomorrow. Are you booked with Dora? Her tours are highly recommended there.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

Thanks for the price comparisons Jim_Lain. I beat you to it! I'll go to my local camera shop to compare features as well.

Just an aside: The most common complaint among "waterproof" camera owners is when they get ruined by water incursion. I had it happen 7 pictures into my trip. Mfr warranties don't cover water damage, which sounds insane but is true. So, this may be the one time it makes sense to get a 3rd party warranty. The 4 year one on Amazon offers protection from liquid damage, and costs 21 for the Nikon, I think. Take a acreenshot if you buy it, and read the 1 star reviews of the cameras before deciding. Good luck.

(I took back the Go Pro 7 I just bought at Best Buy because it is overkill for my snorkeling needs. Thinking about the Nikon W100, but once burned, or drowned, twice shy...) Sorry for the digression.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

Mr. T

Get that luggage valet!!!!

It's the best $50 you will spend on your cruise!

When you get into the terminal you will avoid all of the passengers searching for their luggage and then you get to walk directly to the immigration desk.

The best part is when you get to the airport in FLL and see all of the people in line with their luggage to check in and all you have to do is walk inside and go through TSA.

As I said - the BEST $50 you could spend!!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chamima said:

Mr. T

Get that luggage valet!!!!

It's the best $50 you will spend on your cruise!

When you get into the terminal you will avoid all of the passengers searching for their luggage and then you get to walk directly to the immigration desk.

The best part is when you get to the airport in FLL and see all of the people in line with their luggage to check in and all you have to do is walk inside and go through TSA.

As I said - the BEST $50 you could spend!!!!

Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately this another trip we are unable to use it for a number of reasons... staying in Florida an extra night & our airline not on the list being the main 2... not a big problem for us anyway as we tend to do the self walk off anyway, 👍🏼 

Hi MR_T!  Do you (or anyone else reading this) know how much the Chef's Table cost?  We're trying to decide if it might be worth it when we're on the Reflection in September for our 30th anniversary.  Also, if anyone has done it, do you think it's worth it?  Thank you in advance!  Lisa

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Hi MR_T!  Do you (or anyone else reading this) know how much the Chef's Table cost?  We're trying to decide if it might be worth it when we're on the Reflection in September for our 30th anniversary.  Also, if anyone has done it, do you think it's worth it?  Thank you in advance!  Lisa

If I recall correctly the cost was circa $145 pp. 

• Like 1

Mr T, am really enjoying your review.  We were on Reflection in November and are booked for July 2919 to Scandinavia, and March 2020 Caribbean as well.  As a non US citizen I’d be interested to have you post about disembarkation in Port Everglades when that sad day arrives.  I have read several reports of chaos for non US citizens, even for the walk off crowd.  

Thanks for taking  us along.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MR_T said:

hope this helps 🤞🏻 

Wow!  Those prices can be easily beat online.  It's important to research in advance of purchase.  Look further than Amazon.

Edited by mnocket

On 3/13/2019 at 5:29 AM, MR_T said:

Hi All, 

So today we have just docked in Grand Cayman for the day, we’ve been lucky enough to have visited here a few times so this time we have decided to stay onboard and enjoy a nice quiet ship while most of the pax get off, we may get off a little later for a quick beach visit or maybe a little walk but we are just going to see how the day pans out, 

its looking like being another glorious sunny day with temp of 83 degrees, I’ll settle for that as it’s currently -7 at home! 😂 

chat later

not very often you can be thankful for a 90 degree difference..... enjoy the warmth. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Josie2 said:

Mr T, am really enjoying your review.  We were on Reflection in November and are booked for July 2919 to Scandinavia, and March 2020 Caribbean as well.  As a non US citizen I’d be interested to have you post about disembarkation in Port Everglades when that sad day arrives.  I have read several reports of chaos for non US citizens, even for the walk off crowd.  

Thanks for taking  us along.  

You may want to consider applying for NEXUS. This will allow you to go through Global Entry line. Also gives you TSA pre check. Good for 5 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Wow!  Those prices can be easily beat online.  It's important to research in advance of purchase.  Look further than Amazon.

While that is true undoubtedly, if we were to purchase it online it would involve us reaching into our pocket to do so. Buying (even at prices that may be inflated) with OBC-N that would likely go to waste otherwise makes the purchase "free" and since we seem to have an abundance of OBC-N on our upcoming cruise we've decided to use it for the camera purchase (if there is one aboard that meets our needs).

• Like 2