Gala/Formal Nights - What if I told you that those chair covers were kinda new?

POA1

You know those white chair covers from the formal nights when they "used to pull out all the stops?"  I was peering into the Wayback Machine for 1994, 1999, 2003 & 2004 and the formal night chairs were buck nekkid.

Proof from 2003 (back before I started dying my hair silver.)

2nd-formal-2003.jpg

This was the 2nd formal night, which was then - and is still now - the more formal of the two. (Although I guess in the new nomenclature, it's more "Galalicious."

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't have any pictures to prove that we did have the wrinkled cloth chair covers and the real candles on the tables -- even as far back as 1996 when we first cruised on HAL.  I remember them as we were impressed compared to other cruise lines that we had sailed on and how the dining rooms were just the same on casual nights, informal nights and formal nights.

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

You know those white chair covers from the formal nights when they "used to pull out all the stops?"  I was peering into the Wayback Machine for 1994, 1999, 2003 & 2004 and the formal night chairs were buck nekkid.

Proof from 2003 (back before I started dying my hair silver.)

2nd-formal-2003.jpg

This was the 2nd formal night, which was then - and is still now - the more formal of the two. (Although I guess in the new nomenclature, it's more "Galalicious."

WOW! You all look great!

8 minutes ago, existentialtraveler said:

WOW! You all look great!

Thanks. We've had 15 years of downhill since then... But it's really about the lack of chair covers. 

My first photos of them were from 2006. I'm guessing that they were a formal gesture in the mid 2000s and lasted for about 10-12 years. At least that's how it looks through the lens of the WayBack Machine. (I fear that the photos will grow less kind over time. We used to think, "That's not a good photo." Fast forward 15 years and we're all like, "Sure. We look great there.") :classic_biggrin:

Here's one for you: Does anyone remember black napkins for black dresses or tuxedos? 

I remember back to the time when we first started cruising when a some of formal fabrics shed a ton of glitter on seats and even as one walked. I know, I owned one of them. I shook it, I brushed it and finally tossed it out - it was in the early days of online retail when "cheap", but great looking glitter formal items could be purchased sight-unseen. 

That is when I think the chair covers were critical to keep much of that glitter shedding confined to one night ,and not stuck on the chairs forever, to be picked up by the next passenger. I remember leaving a glitter trail on the Showroom banquettes too. Gleep.

Then they moved to stretch fabric chair covers which looked very elegant and trim, but prevented you from tucking your legs under the chairs.  Then, no more. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

I remember back to the time when we first started cruising when a some of formal fabrics shed a ton of glitter on seats and even as one walked. I know, I owned one of them. I shook it, I brushed it and finally tossed it out - it was in the early days of online retail when "cheap", but great looking glitter formal items could be purchased sight-unseen. 

That is when I think the chair covers were critical to keep much of that glitter shedding confined to one night ,and not stuck on the chairs forever, to be picked up by the next passenger. I remember leaving a glitter trail on the Showroom banquettes too. Gleep.

Then they moved to stretch fabric chair covers which looked very elegant and trim, but prevented you from tucking your legs under the chairs.  Then, no more. 

That's very good info. Not being a sparkly guy myself, I would not have thought of that. 

On 3/7/2019 at 4:01 PM, POA1 said:

Here's one for you: Does anyone remember black napkins for black dresses or tuxedos? 

About 4 years ago on the volendam the pinnacle manager brought a black napkin for my wife who was in a black cocktail dress.  Very nice touch 

he was also one of our favorite PG managers Jackie(sp?) he was from India but lived in California.  Think he has now left Hal to spend more time with Family 

On 3/7/2019 at 2:01 PM, POA1 said:

Still have them. We watched a gentleman on an Alaska cruise a couple of years ago who always sat at the same table in the Pinnacle every night, always had invited guests, loudly informed them (the guests) he was 5* so got a 50% discount, told them about his very large house in Seattle, and always demanded a black napkin. We changed our dining time after a couple of nights.

8 hours ago, oceanmom said:

Still have them. We watched a gentleman on an Alaska cruise a couple of years ago who always sat at the same table in the Pinnacle every night, always had invited guests, loudly informed them (the guests) he was 5* so got a 50% discount, told them about his very large house in Seattle, and always demanded a black napkin. We changed our dining time after a couple of nights.

Because of the the obnoxious guy or are you prejudiced against napkins of color? :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, avian777 said:

Are those memories are a good thing or a bad thing?

:classic_biggrin:

Memories of my childhood in a small rural town in the 60s.  Events were either in the Elks or a church basement "reception" hall.  Those same covers were always present - covered the folding chairs...