Laundry machines now free!

edgee

Am on Riviera now and laundry machines are now free of charge on all Oceania ships as if earlier this month, I am told. Nice to not have to worry about dealing with purchase of tokens! Staff told me this was done due to passenger feedback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a mixed blessing. It has the potential of “abuse” or overusage. Some (not all) people will think - since it’s free, I’ll wash my 2 pairs of underwear and socks. If the laundry room was busy before I suspect it will be much busier now.

I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. It’s a similar phenomenon to the free internet - just human nature.

The fee for self laundry was not that outrageous - I don’t think it needed changing. Time willl tell - let’s see if the trade-off was worth it to those that asked for it.

JMO.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I think this is a mixed blessing. It has the potential of “abuse” or overusage. Some (not all) people will think - since it’s free, I’ll wash my 2 pairs of underwear and socks. If the laundry room was busy before I suspect it will be much busier now.

I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. It’s a similar phenomenon to the free internet - just human nature.

The fee for self laundry was not that outrageous - I don’t think it needed changing. Time willl tell - let’s see if the trade-off was worth it to those that asked for it.

JMO.

This was exactly my reaction/concern.

Time will tell, but it is very difficult to imagine there being *no* such effect.  Question will be: how much of an effect.

GC

Just now, Paulchili said:

I was thinking the same thing 

I might have to pack more now 😞

No charge is so common on other cruise lines...eg. Crystal, Regent, Cunard and I have never experienced a problem.These non issue situations should be analagous to Marina and Riviera.

As to the R class ships which have just the one laundry room...IMHO agree with the concerns the OPs have expressed. Still, not dealing with the stupid tokens and having to pay for a whole add'l dryer load for a couple of items which did not finish drying seems a plus.

Also, free laundry wash and fold benefit in Concierge class and above, even with its limitations should be alleviating some laundry room crowding.

Edited by edgee
Additional thought
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Who wants to spend an one to three hours a day doing laundry on a ship!!!

Well - people do it now when they have to pay for it. It’s contrary to intuition that fewer people would do it when it’s free.

But - I have been pleasantly surprised (once) before :classic_biggrin:

We have only been on Oceania once, on a TA on Insignia in 2014. We are currently looking forward to our second cruise this coming October on the Riviera. Laundry facilities on Insignia in 2014 were free. I was surprised when I read on the boards that we had to buy tokens to use the machines, actually surprised is not really the correct word, more like shocked. It seemed a little tacky to charge for the machines. On our most recent cruise on Regent, the machines were free.

Is the thought that spending a few dollars on laundry will actually reduce the number of people using the machines? What is the alternative? Dirty clothes of spending 10 times more to have it done by the cruise line? I think we get some laundry done for free, but I am a picky about a lot of my clothes, and would prefer to wash them myself. My husband is not so picky.

We have always had to wait for machines at various times. Sometimes it is a nice way to meet your fellow passengers.

Just now, cotto22 said:

We have only been on Oceania once, on a TA on Insignia in 2014. We are currently looking forward to our second cruise this coming October on the Riviera. Laundry facilities on Insignia in 2014 were free.

possibly just  a fluke  or  a change over in machines

It has  always  been you had to buy tokens  we have been on Insignia  several times  starting in 2004

I was thinking that most of the extra use would be from those who already used the machines, but there'd be little reason to wait for fuller loads.  A few dirty socks and undies and maybe on t-shirt?  Just toss 'em in, rather than wait for a bunch of other things.

Maybe the inconvenience factor (running back and forth, waiting if it isn't quite finishes, etc.) will be enough of a disincentive for the extra smaller loads?

And yes, I'd guess that those who wouldn't pay $4 might still do an occasional very small load just for the convenience of not waiting for regular laundry (especially if it's that 3-day turnaround!).

GC

It makes using the laundry easier.  I seldom had the right change to use the token machines in the laundry room. That meant a trip to guest services.  Now it eliminates a needing tokens. I doubt that it will increase traffic in the laundry room. I only use the laundry when necessary.  If I can wait 2-3 days, I send my laundry out. Doing my own laundry takes away from my vacation. 

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

It makes using the laundry easier.  I seldom had the right change to use the token machines in the laundry room. That meant a trip to guest services.  Now it eliminates a needing tokens. I doubt that it will increase traffic in the laundry room. I only use the laundry when necessary.  If I can wait 2-3 days, I send my laundry out. Doing my own laundry takes away from my vacation. 

Again - I think it’s truly counterintuitive to think that things will get better with free laundry. There is no reason to think that those who use laundry now will use it less because it’s free. OTOH, there is good reason to believe that some additional people will use the laundry (or use it more frequently) because it is free.

Getting tokens from the reception was not a hurdle for anyone that wanted or needed to do laundry; and if it was before, now they will have no hurdle 🙂

Edited by Paulchili

9 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Free laundry for me is not doing it myself, not free tokens to use washing machines.. My next cruise includes unlimited free same day laundry service. There are cruise lines that include complimentary laundry.  

Yes, but that is a different discussion. Who wouldn’t like free same day laundry done by someone else?

Here we are trying to discuss whether making washing machines free on Oceania will result in a busier laundry room or not.

Besides, we all know that nothing is free. That free same day laundry is very likely included in the cruise fare - much like free excursions, alcohol, air, etc

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Yes, but that is a different discussion. Who wouldn’t like free same day laundry done by someone else?

Here we are trying to discuss whether making washing machines free on Oceania will result in a busier laundry room or not.

Besides, we all know that nothing is free. That free same day laundry is very likely included in the cruise fare - much like free excursions, alcohol, air, etc

I just knew someone would bring this up. :classic_rolleyes:

Let's do a little math. If we assume that every passenger will do two free laundries per one week cruise,  Oceania will lose a grand total of $4 per passenger per week. So do you really think you're going to notice it if Oceania raises fares say $5 per passenger per week? It's a whole different order of magnitude than the value of free air, free alcohol or free excursions, where several hundred dollars per passenger are involved.

Oh...and some passengers...those in Concierge class cabins and above... already get a certain amount of free laundry, and some passengers don't even other doing laundry on a short cruise, so this might only cost Oceania something like $2 or$3 on average per passenger per week in lost revenue. 

40 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Let's do a little math. If we assume that every passenger will do two free laundries per one week cruise,  Oceania will lose a grand total of $4 per passenger per week. So do you really think you're going to notice it if Oceania raises fares say $5 per passenger per week? It's a whole different order of magnitude than the value of free air, free alcohol or free excursions, where several hundred dollars per passenger are involved.

I have a little problem with your mathIf Oceania provided free same day laundry they would not lose $4/passenger/week as you suggest. They would lose whatever they charge for their laundry service PER ITEM, which is a LOT more than $4, especially for the same day laundry (which is more expensive) and if done twice a week; never mind on a 3 week cruise.

Oh...and some passengers...those in Concierge class cabins and above... already get a certain amount of free laundry, and some passengers don't even other doing laundry on a short cruise, so this might only cost Oceania something like $2 or$3 on average per passenger per week in lost revenue. 

Getting free laundry in 3 days is not the same as getting it same day - and yes, those people in concierge and above ARE paying for it (in addition to other “benefits”). The concierge cabins are exactly the same size as B cabins - so they are paying for the “free” laundry as well other benefits. Those people who are entitled to this service are probably not using the laundry room anyway so they would not change the dynamics in the laundry room whether it is free or not.

Edited by Paulchili

Just now, Paulchili said:

Me

I prefer to do my own

it is done my way in less than 2 hrs 👍

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Me

I prefer to do my own

it is done my way in less than 2 hrs 👍

Just because using the laundry rooms is free will not increase the use of it. Nobody wants to waste time doing more laundry than is necessary just because it is free. It just makes it more convenient for guests. It may also cut down on work for the crew. They don’t have to load the token machines or field off problems that occur when the token machines brake.  I really prefer that cruise lines do not have guest laundry rooms.  If Oceania were truly luxury, they would close the laundry rooms.