Anyone Ever Gotten off Halfway on A Cruise?

With WRITTEN Permission from NCL? My sister now wants to join us (as a 3rd guest in my parents cabin and not even her own cabin) but due to work commitments is unable to do the full cruise. I just got off the phone with my TA who had been on the call with NCL and they said they don’t allow it? I remember on our last cruise on Princess people were getting on and off at different ports!! If she’s not allowed she’ll not be coming as simple as that but I was just curious if people have been granted permission to disembark at different ports. Obviously port of Embarkation will be the same. She’ll also “if allowed” be paying all necessary costs that the 3rd person has to pay and make her own way from the port/airport etc. I know it’s to do with security and all, but surely if she tells them exactly what date and what port she wanted to get off technically they could/should allow it? Is it worth a phone call to NCL myself and explain the situation? 

Edited by Relax Cruiser

5 minutes ago, thinfool said:

Sure...call them.  Be prepared for a 'no'....if this is a Caribbean itinerary be prepared for 'NO'.

Chance might be better if this was a Med itinerary.

We’re doing The Greek Isles, Embarkation/Disembarkation at Rome. Last time we did the Baltic on Princess we got on/off at Copenhagen but people were getting on and off at Russia. I’m just surprised why it should be any different this time? :confused:

I’m not sure if this applies to your situation or not. But I would make  sure you have permission from the cruise line...she could end up violating the 

PVSA law and get a hefty fine if she disembarks in the US

A friend of mine missed the ship in Key West and just decided to stay there and not rejoin the cruise in Nassau.  She didn’t like the ship

she was on and just decided to stay in KW. She didn’t think anything of it until she arrived Home  to a big credit card bill from Carnival for

missing the ship.  They told her they were just passing on the government fine for her and her kids terminating their cruise in the US.  Ouch!

• Haha 1

I’m not sure if this applies to your situation or not. But I would make  sure you have permission from the cruise line...she could end up violating the 

A friend of mine missed the ship in Key West and just decided to stay there and not rejoin the cruise in Nassau.  She didn’t like the ship

she was on and just decided to stay in KW. She didn’t think anything of it until she arrived Home  to a big credit card bill from Carnival for

missing the ship.  They told her they were just passing on the government fine for her and her kids terminating their cruise in the US.  Ouch!

Just now, sandycruzr said:

Yes, we obviously do want to get permission in black and white so no trouble arises and they KNOW to expect what port she’ll be getting off- I’m just surprised they are not allowing her to get off the cruise at all half way through (this is according to my TA who spoke to them)

.....she could end up violating the PVSA law and get a hefty fine...

The PVSA does not even apply here!! The cruise is a GREEK ISLES itinerary, not even close to the USA.  

OP, people might have been getting on and off on your Baltic cruise because they normally have 2 embarkment ports so people will have booked either a Copenhagen or other port 7 day cruise. 

Edited by Sauer-kraut
  • Like 1

We fired a nanny three stops in to a 14-night med cruise and flew her home from Mykonos to Istanbul. No advance notice with NCL. She collected her passport at reception and checked out like at a typical hotel and took a cab to the airport. The cruise originated in Venice and ended in Rome.

21 minutes ago, cdnsteelman said:

We fired a nanny three stops in to a 14-night med cruise and flew her home from Mykonos to Istanbul. No advance notice with NCL. She collected her passport at reception and checked out like at a typical hotel and took a cab to the airport. The cruise originated in Venice and ended in Rome.

And no fine or anything? Why was her passport at reception?

14 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

What port is she planning on boarding in?  

Embarkation will be the same as when the cruise is supposed to start in Rome- but if things go well she wants to get off at Malta a week into a 12 day Cruise as that’s how long she’s able to get time off work. But my TA have said NCL are not allowing it. So I wanted to know if anyone else had any experience like this

22 minutes ago, Relax Cruiser said:

And no fine or anything? Why was her passport at reception?

No fines or issues of any kind. I've been on a few cruises where they've kept passports from certain nationalities. It had something to do with her Schengen visa having limitations on it I believe.

My wife and I had to depart a Royal Cruise in Puerto Rico on the 4th day of the cruise due to my son having a health issue at home.  We simply told guest services and they had us meet customs in the dining room (along with several other passengers who were leaving) and checked out with no problem.  This was not planned in advance and there was no issue with leaving in the middle of the cruise.  I don't know if the cruise line makes a difference.

Disembarked a Celebrity ship in La Harve so we could have a few days in Paris.  Asked permission from Celebrity a couple months before the cruise.  Permission granted.  The ships next stop was Southampton and it was over then.  Entertainers go on and off ships all the time on all the lines...don't know why it would be a big deal...

This is called a Embarkation/Disembarkation Deviation. Most cruise lines have a department that you will need to send your request to in written form via email and they will respond. I have done this multiple times, but not with Norwegian, although I think they would be similar to other brands in approach.

My most recent experience was with RCCL, and involved requesting to join a cruise not in Rome at the start, but 2 days later in Valencia, Spain. I put in the request in early February, 2019 for a transatlantic cruise in October, 2020, and received a written reply last week, about a month turn-around; copy of letter below. They are also charging a $65 (per booking, not per person) administrative fee that is non-refundable.

Some things to note, to request the deviation I have often had to book first and then make the deviation request. In the case of RCCL, I did not use their cheaper Non-Refundable Deposit fare, but a slightly higher Refundable Deposit fare, in case it was denied, or we change our plans. 

I also put in a request for a Disembarkation Deviation on a Princess Coastal Cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver in May, 2019, to request to Disembark 2 days early in Seattle, so my Mom could spend some extra time with her sister who lives there before returning home. As I expected, this one was denied as it did not fulfill the PVSA guidelines. No worries, we'll just backtrack to Seattle from Vancouver after disembarking, so in this case not a big deal. 

Your itinerary should work to allow this, but it is up to the cruise line. Note the important line far below: Regulatory Restrictions and Ships Itineraries are Subject to Change. If the ship doesn't make the port where your sister is disembarking (or I am embarking!), the cost/hassle is on the guest to sort it out. 

Good Day,

Please be advised that we have received your request to Embark at an alternate port. After reviewing said request we are happy to advise that currently there are no regulatory restrictions that will prohibit an approval.

There is a $65 USD per booking handling fee to finalize your approval and arrangement. Please contact us at your earliest convenience and provide us with a valid credit card payment. ( Non - Refundable ) 

We can be reached 7 days a week, 24 hours a day at:  Domestic: 1-800-256-6649 (prompt #1) or International: 305-539-4107.

Guests must be aware of the following: 
Travel documentation (i.e. passports, visas, immigration paperwork, etc...) may be required for entry into countries or ports outside of the USA.  It is the responsibility of the guest(s)/travel partner to ensure that the required original documentation is provided.  Incorrect documentation can possibly result in denied entry into the requested countries or boarding of the vessel based on the itinerary.

***Important Notice to Guest***
Regulatory Restrictions and Ships Itineraries are subject to change. 
Emergency Travel Team is not responsible for any costs incur as a result of these changes .

I am aware that many cruise lines do allow passengers to leave the cruise prior to its completion.  In reading here on the boards, it seems NCL does not allow it.  I have personally experienced the same thing with Carnival.  This was on a Mediterranean cruise, so the PVSA wasn’t a factor.  The answer was a definite no.  I elevated the issue through to the Office of the CEO, and there was no way they would allow it on a pre-arranged basis.  They understood that people need to leave because of illness, emergencies at home, etc., but they do not give any approvals in advance. 

Edited by nwcruiselover

After reading through the posts, I wonder what happens when people miss the ship?  I have read that all their belongings are left at the dock and they are responsible for finding their own way home or to the next port (at their own cost).  Do they also get fined?

1 hour ago, bjtravelnews said:

After reading through the posts, I wonder what happens when people miss the ship?  I have read that all their belongings are left at the dock and they are responsible for finding their own way home or to the next port (at their own cost).  Do they also get fined?

If you board a cruise ship in an American port and leave the ship in a different American port you trigger a PVSA violation. Technically the cruise line is fined and they pass the fine on to you through your shipboard account. You agree to this in the contract of carriage. 

Example: You board a ship in New York City sailing to Port Canaveral, Nassau and Great Stirup Cay. In Port Canaveral you get off the ship and fail to reboard due to being late or for any reason at all, you trigger the fine. 

The PVSA prohibits foreign flagged ships from carrying passengers between US ports without stopping at a distant foreign port first. Roundtrip cruises are ok because you get off where you began. Panama Canal cruises are ok because they make a stop in South America or an island off the coast of South America which qualifies under the act as a distant foreign port.

Puerto Rico is an exception as it is exempt from this provision of the PVSA as long as no domestic shipping company is offering service between the mainland and the island. Since this is unlikely to ever happen Puerto Rico will likely remain exempt indefinitely.

Edited by Paul Bogle
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 7:40 PM, Sauer-kraut said:

.....she could end up violating the PVSA law and get a hefty fine...

The PVSA does not even apply here!! The cruise is a GREEK ISLES itinerary, not even close to the USA.  

OP, people might have been getting on and off on your Baltic cruise because they normally have 2 embarkment ports so people will have booked either a Copenhagen or other port 7 day cruise. 

Oops I didn’t see anything about it being Greek Island cruise until AFTER after my reply. Just trying to be helpful 

And of course PVSA doesn’t apply in Greece😊

On 3/8/2019 at 4:27 PM, Relax Cruiser said:

We’re doing The Greek Isles, Embarkation/Disembarkation at Rome. Last time we did the Baltic on Princess we got on/off at Copenhagen but people were getting on and off at Russia. I’m just surprised why it should be any different this time? 😕

The EU also has similar laws to the PVSA is why. Cabotage laws are not unique to the US; in fact I believe that the fines for breaking them are actually higher in the EU (I've never actually studied the linked legislation as it's never impacted me).

What your SIL wants to do is board at EU Port X and leave at EU Port Y - which is not allowed for a non-EU registered vessel without a non-EU distant port being visited, and I'm guessing that your cruise does not include one of those. Or it could just be NCL don't want to file paperwork;-)

Russia is not in the EU so not relevant to the laws - this would be equivalent to the difference between people traveling RT Seattle or one-way Vancouver-Seward (folks on the former who get off early at a different US port are in violation, whereas folks on the latter are not as they are still traveling between a Not US Port and a US Port). Many Mediterranean RTs also get sold as overlapping loops, e.g. the same ship takes on new pax in Rome and Barcelona but the pax are also being returned to the same port they boarded at so no violation.

Update it’s me with a response from NCL- I talked to an agent about my sister getting off at a different port and her response was and I quote “We do not allow guests to get off with prior permission but we also will not stop them from getting off if they so wish”. Obviously she’ll have to pay the full cruise fare (or 3rd guest promo whatever applicable) as such but she’ll not be in violation of the Jones Act (whatever that is?) and/or PVSA! 🤷🏼‍♀️ I asked her if she could send me something in black and white regarding what we spoke about just now and she told me not unless we act on it and have her book the cruise. So there’s that then. But this is one agents response. My TA got a totally different response from NCL.

Thoughts? Do we go ahead and book? 3rd guest comes upto $600 for her.

Only you and your sister can decide that.  Obviously, they can’t force her to stay on the ship, but there can be repercussions if she leaves against their rules.  In the case of Carnival, when I asked to get off partway through a Mediterranean cruise, my intent was to get back on the same ship a week later for a transatlantic crossing—different cruise, different booking number, same ship.  I was told that I would not be allowed to reboard the ship for the second cruise.  I would be somehow flagged in their system for the future.  I didn’t want that to happen, so I complied with their rules.  

33 minutes ago, Relax Cruiser said:

Update it’s me with a response from NCL- I talked to an agent about my sister getting off at a different port and her response was and I quote “We do not allow guests to get off with prior permission but we also will not stop them from getting off if they so wish”. Obviously she’ll have to pay the full cruise fare (or 3rd guest promo whatever applicable) as such but she’ll not be in violation of the Jones Act (whatever that is?) and/or PVSA! 🤷🏼‍♀️ I asked her if she could send me something in black and white regarding what we spoke about just now and she told me not unless we act on it and have her book the cruise. So there’s that then. But this is one agents response. My TA got a totally different response from NCL.

Thoughts? Do we go ahead and book? 3rd guest comes upto $600 for her.

My thoughts.... your TA actually got the exact same answer "NCL does not allow it"......  the person you spoke to gave you unofficial advice "we don't stop you from leaving"..... similiar to a sign saying "please take one candy" and the hostess says "but we don't make sure you only take one" 

I would have your sister pack using space in other people's luggage, leave her dirty laundry with them and just carry a small travel carry on bag (medication, etc) and leave the ship where she wants, get herself to the airport and be home. Meanwhile, give Guest Services a heads up that she won't be coming back (but not before she leaves)..... that way they won't hold the ship thinking she's running a little late.  You can just say she took a private excursion and the truck broke down and they are too far away from the port to make it. 

Edited by esm54687

My guess is that they don’t want to deal with managing a disembarking passenger on their passenger manifest. When they dock they give a list of all the passengers they are bringing and taking away with them. If they know and you know that the plan exists for her to disembark there is going to be some paperwork differential for her. If she leaves unexpectedly, it’s like any other emergency. Not sure exactly how it works but people do leave unexpectedly on cruises.

19 hours ago, Relax Cruiser said:

... but she’ll not be in violation of the Jones Act (whatever that is?) and/or PVSA!...

But she WILL be in violation of the equivalent EU law - and whatever the cruiseline gets fined they will pass it along to her per the cruise contract... Depending which port she might even be illegally entering whichever country she disembarks at (if it's all EU and Schengen countries this is unlikely) - but much of the requirement to schedule early disembarkation in advance is down to the cruiseline having to check with relevant Immigration/Customs authorities to ensure disembarking pax are processed properly.

The comment about not stopping her getting off does not abrogate her personal responsibility to ensure she is not breaking any laws by doing so - it just means the cruise line will not forcibly confine her onboard. And 'jumping ship' might mean that NCL refuses to accept a booking from here ever again - without getting confirmation it's approved in advance there are many risks being run. Refusing to confirm it before a booking is made is not just an NCL thing - I've heard folks on here mention the same thing for RCI, Celebrity, Princess... so if in doubt have her book with a refundable deposit fare so if she is refused permission she can just cancel the cruise instead of risking all sorts of unknown expenses and hassles.