"Premium" Balcony?

Bruin Steve

I should know this, but don't...

On most of my Princess cruises, I've booked a balcony cabin...But I've never seen a reason to pay more for a "premium" balcony...

So, on my upcoming cruise, as usual for me, I booked a Category "BD"- C626...on Emerald Princess...

But, for various reasons this time, I've now "upgraded" slightly to a "B1"--C422...

My assumption, always, has been that these two cabins are, basically, identical--with the only difference being that C422 is just down the hall from C626--at midship rather than toward the aft...

Of course, Princess seems to make a major distinction between the two--calling one a "Balcony" and the other a "Premium Balcony"...

Of course, just three cabins midship from C626 comes the start of those "Premium Balconies"...

SO...the big question here is:  Other than a very minor difference in location (same deck, just down the hall) is there ANY OTHER DIFFERENCE between that BD Balcony and the B1 PREMIUM Balcony?  Thanks...

In Jan., my BFF & her DH had a "premium balcony" on the Regal.  Difference: a small sofa (2-seat). 

They really liked it enough to book a mini-suite for their next cruise (Island) to ensure getting a sofa. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

In Jan., my BFF & her DH had a "premium balcony" on the Regal.  Difference: a small sofa (2-seat). 

They really liked it enough to book a mini-suite for their next cruise (Island) to ensure getting a sofa. 

Enjoy!

Yes on the Regal/Royal/Majestic it is a different cabin setup with the sofa and is called a "Deluxe Balcony" with premium deluxe balcony being location based.

Love those cabins.

Only problem is those balconies are 1/3 the size the OP is talking about on Caribe deck/Emerald Princess.

13 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

Enjoy!

Deluxe balconies have small sofas and Premium balconies are Deluxe balconies in a premium location.

A lot of confusion here.

The categories, especially with all of the classes of ships now sailing, can be confusing.

A Balcony is a balcony....  usually the standard size room, and standard size balcony.

A Balcony Deluxe, on the newest class of ships, is a slightly larger room (NOT a larger balcony) with room for seating.

(we had one of these on the REGAL, and the extra floorspace and little loveseat were great! Balcony was tiny)

A Premium Balcony often denotes an actual larger/deeper balcony, such as the balconies mentioned on the Caribe Deck of the Emerald Princess.

(we had one of these on the Ruby,  balcony was FANTASTIC!!!!  That was when it still had a real table and chairs...  back then, it was sold just as any other balcony, and did not cost more....  now, it seems that the ones that are not far forward or aft are classified as 'Premium' and would come at a price increase.

AFT facing balconies also have larger/deeper balconies and are classified as Premium Balcony.

I am not thinking that the mid-ship location, alone, would be a 'Premium' or 'Deluxe' class of balcony.

Edited by Wishing on a star

2 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

Enjoy!

Nope, your BFF had a Deluxe Balcony. It's a category only on Royal class ships and inlcudes the small loveseat.

Premium balcony refers to location.

One can have Premium Deluxe, Deluxe or Premium balcony on Royal class ships. 

All other ships it's Premium or regular Balcony. No Deluxe available.

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

Nope, your BFF had a Deluxe Balcony. It's a category only on Royal class ships and inlcudes the small loveseat.

Premium balcony refers to location.

One can have Premium Deluxe, Deluxe or Premium balcony on Royal class ships. 

All other ships it's Premium or regular Balcony. No Deluxe available.

Very succinct description. 

To get back to Bruin Steve original question....no on the Grand Class-ships there is no difference between c626 and c422 except the central location.   The key is “Grand Class” as  this does not apply to Royal and newer ships,  Often on the 3 for free promo those two cabins would be priced exactly the same.   Last cruise and the next two are in these C600 level cabins they are an excellent value and my first choice when booking, also applies to C300 and lower cabins. Had C317 on the Coral, excellent cabin.

17 hours ago, jwattle said:

On the Enchanted, the aft facing premium deluxe on every other deck are huge. Looking forward to enjoying it! 🙂

What deck do the huge cabins start on? I'm looking at an aft D4 cabin (Premium Deluxe Balcony) on the Enchanted.  Also, do you know if the aft balconies are covered, semi covered or not covered at all? 

28 minutes ago, jwattle said:

I'm sorry, it's the balcony that's huge. Dolphin, Baja and Riviera have these on the aft facing, and I believe they are half covered.

Thank you!!! that explains why plenty of aft cabins on Caribe & none on Baja.

Love that new ship smell 🙂 Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Doesn't anyone look at the Princess website that can show a visual image and a diagram of the cabin that catches their interest??  If you are working with a travel agent, let the agent explain or refer you to the site where you can see different configurations.  Basically "expanded balconies" on newer Princess ships have a love seat sized sofa area in addition to the standard bedroom space of a balcony cabin. (I think that this is the standard configuration of "veranda" staterooms on Princess's cousin Holland America.) I believe that only on  the Pacific Princess all "balcony" cabins have the extended lounge area. Don't expect a larger balcony beyond the interior cabin. Besides, how much outside space do you really need?? .. Princess experience 25+ cruises. For Viking, the standard configuaration has a love seat area.😎  It's a welcome amenity on any cruise longer than 7 days; for some longer than 3 days.

Happy Cruisin'

22 minutes ago, TravlingGato said:

Doesn't anyone look at the Princess website that can show a visual image and a diagram of the cabin that catches their interest??  If you are working with a travel agent, let the agent explain or refer you to the site where you can see different configurations.  Basically "expanded balconies" on newer Princess ships have a love seat sized sofa area in addition to the standard bedroom space of a balcony cabin. (I think that this is the standard configuration of "veranda" staterooms on Princess's cousin Holland America.) I believe that only on  the Pacific Princess all "balcony" cabins have the extended lounge area. Don't expect a larger balcony beyond the interior cabin. Besides, how much outside space do you really need?? .. Princess experience 25+ cruises. For Viking, the standard configuaration has a love seat area.😎  It's a welcome amenity on any cruise longer than 7 days; for some longer than 3 days.

Happy Cruisin'

I believe what you are referring to as "expanded balcony"  are "Deluxe Balcony" in Princess terminology.  There are some Deluxe and some standard balcony rooms and some mini suites with larger balconies, but there is not mention of them.  You have to refer to the deck diagrams. 

And FWIW if I can't get a larger balcony on one of the new ships I'll either go inside or I'll pass. 

Edited by fishin' musician
  • Like 1

Some of us like to invite friends over to have cocktails on the balcony and enjoy the wake view, etc. Also, it's nice to be on the balcony for breakfast or

whatnot without being jammed like sardines...welcome to Cruise Critic 😊

The Countess

1 hour ago, TravlingGato said:

Happy Cruisin'

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, Bruin Steve said:

I should know this, but don't...

On most of my Princess cruises, I've booked a balcony cabin...But I've never seen a reason to pay more for a "premium" balcony...

So, on my upcoming cruise, as usual for me, I booked a Category "BD"- C626...on Emerald Princess...

But, for various reasons this time, I've now "upgraded" slightly to a "B1"--C422...

My assumption, always, has been that these two cabins are, basically, identical--with the only difference being that C422 is just down the hall from C626--at midship rather than toward the aft...

Of course, Princess seems to make a major distinction between the two--calling one a "Balcony" and the other a "Premium Balcony"...

Of course, just three cabins midship from C626 comes the start of those "Premium Balconies"...

SO...the big question here is:  Other than a very minor difference in location (same deck, just down the hall) is there ANY OTHER DIFFERENCE between that BD Balcony and the B1 PREMIUM Balcony?  Thanks...

Absolutely NO difference.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Absolutely NO difference.

You are correct ... on the Emerald Princess, the cabins along the sides of the Caribe deck are all the same side, as are the balconies (except maybe a tiny bit more of unusable space on the very last aft side cabin on either side).  The 'premium' designation describes the midship location only on the Crown (Emerald) and Grand class ships.  IMO, it's not worth any extra cost unless you have to be midship.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TravlingGato said:

To Jwattle... Been there, done that several times when we host travel companions or new "cruise friends" ...what's the problem?

I was explaining why some people like the larger balconies. It was in response to you asking how much outdoor space people really need.

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Most deluxe balconies on the Royal/Regal/Majestic are minuscule compared to other ships and "normal" size balconies.

Perhaps you are referring to Premium deluxe balconies?

I was.

• Like 1

Bruin Steve (GO UCLA!!), we just got off the Emerald Princess and we were in 622. We walked multiple times past the mid ship cabins (near the mid ship elevators), and when the doors were open, none of them looked any larger than ours. I think probably Princess deems them "premium" because, #1- they are more mid ship , and #2- closer to elevators. Some people like this location, and will pay more for it. When we booked, I actually looked at the prices vs. the locations, and figured for a short walk past a few cabins, it wasn't worth the extra $$. So, your assumption is correct. 

There is no difference in the cabins other than location.

Edited by casandbliz