Cabin Temperature

cathyandmike

Then there are the neighbors who run their aircon with the veranda door open...  Result is that hot air is drawn into the aircon system.  Air con has a limited efficiency so it will cool the 95 degree air to 75 to 80  for everyone on the same trunk-- that reduces the efficiency.

Some ships have it when the balcony door is open the air handler vents are closed.  Oceania at least on R ships does not have this... (O class seem to remember do this)

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 8:56 PM, 1985rz1 said:

We've had engineering come to our cabin on several cruises to fully open the adjustable air flow vent to allow the A/C to be more efficient with a fuller flow and it made the cabin cooler.  I don't think the air temperature can be adjusted below the lowest setting on the thermostat, which for us is still warm, but additional air flow was effective.

Thanks for the engineering suggestion.  I like my sleeping area 'cold' by most people's standards.  We're going to be going from Rio to Buenos Aires in December.  So it's summer there but I wonder what the nighttime sea air temp is.

On 3/19/2019 at 2:24 PM, PaulMCO said:

Then there are the neighbors who run their aircon with the veranda door open...  Result is that hot air is drawn into the aircon system.  Air con has a limited efficiency so it will cool the 95 degree air to 75 to 80  for everyone on the same trunk-- that reduces the efficiency.

Some ships have it when the balcony door is open the air handler vents are closed.  Oceania at least on R ships does not have this... (O class seem to remember do this)

Bravo Paul, they should reprint this Post in every sailing day Currents!

I doubt that it will shame the deliberate abusers, who are too entitled to worry about the peons down the hall,  anyway; but it may influence those who are uncertain.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

2021 RTW Cruise - Bora Bora

This newbie RTW cruiser would like to hear from the experienced RTW cruisers for advice on Bora Bora.  Do you know where we anchor in Bora Bora?  We’re asking because we’d like to spend the night in the St Regis Bora Bora resort (over the water cottages) which is on an adjacent island and we need to start looking at means to get there and back to the ship.

Thanks, 

Mike and Cathy

1 hour ago, cathyandmike said:

2021 RTW Cruise - Bora Bora

This newbie RTW cruiser would like to hear from the experienced RTW cruisers for advice on Bora Bora.  Do you know where we anchor in Bora Bora?  We’re asking because we’d like to spend the night in the St Regis Bora Bora resort (over the water cottages) which is on an adjacent island and we need to start looking at means to get there and back to the ship.

Thanks, 

Mike and Cathy

Did you post this in the wrong place?

The range of temperature adjuxtments 

On 3/11/2019 at 9:21 PM, cathyandmike said:

We are booked on the. 2021 Insignia World Cruise in a PH3. I like it especially cool when I sleep.  Is it possible to have the chief engineer adjust the temperature of the cabin from 9 pm to 9 am to 68 degrees?  

I've requested lowing the temperature of the cabin in the evenings on mass cruise lines to no avail. 

Please tell me this request will be possible since it seems Oceania can do just about anything a passenger requests. 

Thanks!

The range of temperature adjustments will be what they are.  Did you seriously expect the chief engineer to adjust the temperature of one cabin just because you called and asked.  Can you imagine what would happen if that happened.   Every cabin would call the chief engineer and ask for custom cabin heat settings. 

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

The range of temperature adjuxtments 

The range of temperature adjustments will be what they are.  Did you seriously expect the chief engineer to adjust the temperature of one cabin just because you called and asked.  Can you imagine what would happen if that happened.   Every cabin would call the chief engineer and ask for custom cabin heat settings. 

DON

We found for us it is not necessarily the temperature that is the problem.  There is a temperature range and there is a minimum temperature you can set it.  But the internal airducts (not what you can adjust) often are not fully open.  We asked for an Engineer (not the Chief Engineer) to open them fully and one came to our stateroom and made the adjustment. We had this request honored on every Oceania cruise where we made the request.  The additional airflow made enough of a difference for us.

Edited by 1985rz1

We agree about the comforters.  They are wonderful but in most climates we find them far too hot.  We usually ask our cabin crew either for extra sheets which we use in place of the comforters -- or sometimes just the duvet covers.

Last winter we never used our duvets at home ...

Mura

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, clo said:

Has anyone mentioned how low it can be set?

I seem to recall the lowest setting to be 65 degrees, but actual temperatures in the cabin are very sensitive to the drapes being closed (this  keeps the cabin MUCH cooler by day) and the  AC being less powerful overnight (think from 2AM to 7AM).

sylvania-07-2.jpg

The AC variance in the wee hours has been a fact of life on every ship and Line we've ever sailed on , going back to Cunard in the mid 1960's

Edited by StanandJim

On the Nautica, We had a dial on the wall to control the room temperature . Turn the dial counter clockwise to cool it down, clockwise to warm it up. No temperature settings on the dial therefore no such thing as setting it at any given temperature .

For those of us that are off the ship all day, the room stewards always tightly close the curtains after cleaning the room and typically reset the dial to a middle setting for the day. The room was comfortable when we returned. My wife would then turn the temperature down as we left for Happy Hour and Dinner and the cabin would be cool when we returned for bedtime.

If you’re one that sits in the cabin most all day with the drapes open, particularly on the sunny side, it may take awhile for the AC to get the temperature down to where you want it at night.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, StanandJim said:

I seem to recall the lowest setting to be 65 degrees, but actual temperatures in the cabin are very sensitive to the drapes being closed (this  keeps the cabin MUCH cooler by day) and the  AC being less powerful overnight (think from 2AM to 7AM).

sylvania-07-2.jpg

The AC variance in the wee hours has been a fact of life on every ship and Line we've ever sailed on , going back to Cunard in the mid 1960's

Thanks a ton for this info.  I 'run hot' and hate it.  Definitely keeping the drapes closed and anything else I can do. 

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

On the Nautica, We had a dial on the wall to control the room temperature . Turn the dial counter clockwise to cool it down, clockwise to warm it up. No temperature settings on the dial therefore no such thing as setting it at any given temperature .

For those of us that are off the ship all day, the room stewards always tightly close the curtains after cleaning the room and typically reset the dial to a middle setting for the day. The room was comfortable when we returned. My wife would then turn the temperature down as we left for Happy Hour and Dinner and the cabin would be cool when we returned for bedtime.

If you’re one that sits in the cabin most all day with the drapes open, particularly on the sunny side, it may take awhile for the AC to get the temperature down to where you want it at night.

It's funny how many of us that have experience on the same line have different experiences on what happens. I've found the stewards to open the drapes that we've left closed when we leave. We've actually had to either leave a note or ask them to not be opening them while gone. 

Different stewards, different ships I guess. I agree that in hot sunny areas it's best to keep them closed as much as possible. 

I've also noticed that some systems will perform better if they are not turned all the way down. We have a portable travel clock that has a thermometer on it and I'm amazed at how much the temp will fluctuate in the cabin. Also some of those can lights will put out a lot of heat, I try to leave lights off as much as possible. 

I usually go back to the cabin if we are still onboard after the morning room cleaning & close the drapes

We put the thermostat way down at bedtime but still wake up in the night  & it is not as cold as when we went to bed

So they must turn the a/c off or way down to the cabins unless some are opening their balcony doors during the night which will affect  cabins nearby

Either way it is annoying to wake up sweating  (I am well past the other  age thing)  so it is not that 😲