New Embarkation Procedures

Grandma Cruising

It seems there are new embarkation procedures, with cruisers either being asked to choose, or being allocated, a specific half hour slot, instead of the old ‘ turn up any time after the start of embarkation’ system.

We usually turn up pretty early. In the past this has worked well. We’ve rarely had to wait and the embarkation process has usually been quick & easy (except once when the ship needed a deep clean).

It would be really helpful to us all if people could post their embarkation experience under the new system - what time were you allocated or did you choose, when did you turn up for embarkation and what happened, what paperwork did they need etc.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

When we checked in on line a couple of weeks ago we were asked to say what time we will arrive. We were not given a time is was my choice.   We are b2b and so in NY we want to be as late as possible after sightseeing but at the original embarkation in Miami it was harder to estimate as it will depend on what we plan to do before we leave as it is our first 2 days in Miami. We sail on 25 March. 

For the 10 April cruise we are now being offered an up grade to a suite for a minimum of £990 per person. We won't be considering moving from our chosen club continent suite. We had applied for an upgrade from verandah to CC as Discoverer Plus but have not been successful.

So many changes but wait to see if they are improvements

Edited by manc

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:59 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

It seems there are new embarkation procedures, with cruisers either being asked to choose, or being allocated, a specific half hour slot, instead of the old ‘ turn up any time after the start of embarkation’ system.

We usually turn up pretty early. In the past this has worked well. We’ve rarely had to wait and the embarkation process has usually been quick & easy (except once when the ship needed a deep clean).

It would be really helpful to us all if people could post their embarkation experience under the new system - what time were they allocated, when did they turn up and what happened, what paperwork did they need etc.

Thanks in advance!

We received a notice to provide embarkation preferences yesterday.  This being our first Azamara experience, it seemed somewhat normal (comparable to other cruise lines).  We were offered a range of arrival times to choose from (none "suggested"), and were asked about contact information (personal and emergency), passport information, we also were able to print our Boarding Passes.

This is for our 04 June sailing on Quest.

NRayH

On 3/14/2019 at 5:13 AM, manc said:

When we checked in on line a couple of weeks ago we were asked to say what time we will arrive. We were not given a time is was my choice.   We are b2b and so in NY we want to be as late as possible after sightseeing but at the original embarkation in Miami it was harder to estimate as it will depend on what we plan to do before we leave as it is our first 2 days in Miami. We sail on 25 March. 

For the 10 April cruise we are now being offered an up grade to a suite for a minimum of £990 per person. We won't be considering moving from our chosen club continent suite. We had applied for an upgrade from verandah to CC as Discoverer Plus but have not been successful.

So many changes but wait to see if they are improvements

Manc, if you were offered your suite upgrade through the new bidding process, would you be willing to post the bids in the new sticky thread that's been created?  Thank you!

I’ve just noticed that our boarding passes for our cruise on 20/3 on the Pursuit app shows a boarding time of 2.30. We weren’t asked what time we wanted to board and our transfer from our hotel in Rio is arranged for 12 noon, so we will be arriving at the port around 12.40 so hopefully we can board early. I don’t remember boarding so late before and we have never been allocated a time so I hope they don’t keep us hanging around.

• Like 1

Just now, tiggertom said:

I’ve just noticed that our boarding passes for our cruise on 20/3 on the Pursuit app shows a boarding time of 2.30. We weren’t asked what time we wanted to board and our transfer from our hotel in Rio is arranged for 12 noon, so we will be arriving at the port around 12.40 so hopefully we can board early. I don’t remember boarding so late before and we have never been allocated a time so I hope they don’t keep us hanging around.

Do come back here and tell what happened when you turned up early.

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Do come back here and tell what happened when you turned up early.

Will do. 

Just noticed that the guest ticket booklet shows boarding time as 1300 but boarding pass says 2.30 -3.00.

Hubby given a 1-1:30pm embarkation time and me 3-3:30pm for our upcoming April 6th sailing on Pursuit. I was delayed in completing my online check-in which might explain the time difference. I plan to join him at 1pm 😉

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I’ve never had a problem with that, providing I am prepared to be flexible.  Not that it’s got anything to do with this thread.

Phil

Perhaps AJCM means that if your boarding time is later then you would have less chance of getting the reservation time/date of your choice?

18 minutes ago, workingtocruise-59 said:

Perhaps AJCM means that if your boarding time is later then you would have less chance of getting the reservation time/date of your choice?

Ah yes. You are probably right!  Apologies AJCM. Having said that I don't tend to book my specialties straight away and have never had an issue. I've found them to be accommodating. 

Phil 

We were on Journey Feb 20.  When checking in on line I was asked about a boarding time and since we were leaving the hotel at check out time I selected the first time slot.  Someone did look at our boarding pass as we went into the building, but I also think we were early.   The waiting area was not very crowded.   After boarding the suite guests we were the first to board.  I felt this was asked so they could make sure to have enough staff - like if a bus of people come that surge would need more staff.

I've had this with Celebrity on my last few cruises... except passengers were allocated (I think) boarding times. Suite guests were asked to board at their pleasure.

I'm surprised that Az are using a similar procedure. With much smaller ships than X, there shouldn't be the need.

Wait, wait, wait! Less passengers being processed at any one time = less shore staff = greater profits = happier shareholders...

2 hours ago, crazyman3 said:

I've had this with Celebrity on my last few cruises... except passengers were allocated (I think) boarding times. Suite guests were asked to board at their pleasure.

I'm surprised that Az are using a similar procedure. With much smaller ships than X, there shouldn't be the need.

Wait, wait, wait! Less passengers being processed at any one time = less shore staff = greater profits = happier shareholders...

Read my post just above yours. There is no wait, wait, wait at all. It's just been blown out of all proportion here and your post isn't helpful or accurate. 

Phil 

I like to share transportation to port with people from the roll call and even people I’ve met at my pre-cruise. This will make complicate coordinating that. Oh, well. Check-in ‘appointments’ should make boarding a quick process.

Melissa

2 hours ago, laurieb said:

Some in our party of 10 had check in times; we all just showed up much earlier than those check in times and had no problems whatsoever.  This was for Feb. 21 Journey 

Thanks for telling us that. Very reassuring, as in July we are sharing transport with two other couples as we’re all staying at the same hotel.