Barrel Chairs on Star

Ombud

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Everyone that I spoke to on the Star had 2 balcony chairs .... where did you get the idea that there was only 1 chair between inside & outside? (Asks the person who had too many)

Where did I get the Idea that there was only one chair?

1.. Was on Royal Princess in Dec.  There was only one chair in our balcony cabin.  I did ask for one and did receive one.

2. Wrote a letter to Jan S. at Princess.  Received a phone call back from her office.  I was told that the chair would be removed from the cabins.

3.I was told (in that phone call) that I could ask for one, but there was NO guarantee that I would receive one.

This info was directly given to me from the return phone call that I received from  Ms. Jan S. office.

I see that the way I worded my post might not have explained fully what I was trying to say.  When I said inside and out side.  I meant inside cabins and outside cabins were going to have only the desk chair inside the cabin.  The same as the reg. balcony cabin, only having the desk chair inside.  Sorry that I was not clear on this.

Edited by geocruiser

Some people may have misinterpreted the chair removal discussion to mean balcony chairs. To be clear, the chairs on the balcony are NOT being removed. It is the barrel chair in standard balcony staterooms and below that are being removed. People who have booked Premium balcony staterooms and above have reported the barrel chair is still present.
Our experience in our Crown Princess standard balcony stateroom was that the chair had been removed. This was in February 2019, R743 was the stateroom number.
I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TriumphGuy said:

Some people may have misinterpreted the chair removal discussion to mean balcony chairs. To be clear, the chairs on the balcony are NOT being removed. It is the barrel chair in standard balcony staterooms and below that are being removed. People who have booked Premium balcony staterooms and above have reported the barrel chair is still present.
Our experience in our Crown Princess standard balcony stateroom was that the chair had been removed. This was in February 2019, R743 was the stateroom number.
I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Thank you for posting this.  I was not very clear in one of my post about it.

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I see that the way I worded my post might not have explained fully what I was trying to say.  When I said inside and out side.  I meant inside cabins and outside cabins were going to have only the desk chair inside the cabin.  The same as the reg. balcony cabin, only having the desk chair inside.  Sorry that I was not clear on this.

Yeah .... thought you were trying to say that there was 1 chair on the balcony. Thanks for clarification 👍

I didn’t do a thorough “investigation” regarding the barrel chair in all staterooms and all ships, however I did look at Caribbean and Star balcony and mini-suite information on the Princess website.

Both ships and cabin types not only pictured the barrel chair (see the 360 degree version) but pictured and verbally noted the barrel chair in the AD Panoramic Tour, which is the Audio Description tour of the cabin.

I realize Princess may not want to update the website until all ships are the same regarding cabins with/without barrel chairs but at least for those cruising in the near future, there is ‘proof’ the chairs are ‘supposed’ to be there, based on the website. Though, having it probably won’t help much since chairs are gone and seemingly only a limited number remain onboard.

Does anyone know if the chairs have been removed from mini suites, as they have been from balcony/ocean view/inside cabins?

1st of all, they have NOT been removed from Star staterooms BB and above. I had on 2 but then I got off 3/30/19.

2nd, you're asking about mini-suites and  sbove: others have stated the loveseat is still in that category.  I did not have a mini-suite but sincerely doubt it has less seating then a BB

On 4/4/2019 at 10:04 AM, gotta cruise again said:

I did look at Caribbean and Star balcony and mini-suite information on the Princess website.

Both ships and cabin types not only pictured the barrel chair (see the 360 degree version) but pictured and verbally noted the barrel chair in the AD Panoramic Tour, which is the Audio Description tour of the cabin.

Princess has been nickel and diming us for years. The chairs are GONE from certain categories of cabins on those ships people have reported. Princess is not spending a cent on updating website, because they don't have to. If you read EVERYTHING on those pages, you'll find disclaimer that it "represents" what may be in a cabin but not guaranteed. They wont update photos or diagrams until they have to.   Someone posted that one of the new ships on the website has photos with the balcony chair turned around to appear there is a second chair in the cabin.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

Princess has been nickel and diming us for years. The chairs are GONE from certain categories of cabins on those ships people have reported. Princess is not spending a cent on updating website, because they don't have to. If you read EVERYTHING on those pages, you'll find disclaimer that it "represents" what may be in a cabin but not guaranteed. They wont update photos or diagrams until they have to.   Someone posted that one of the new ships on the website has photos with the balcony chair turned around to appear there is a second chair in the cabin.

only if you let them ... many other cruise lines out there ... yet "diming" us for YEARS ...

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We're glad to to see the chairs gone on the Crown. At least we won't have to move it to the closet area any longer.😃

Just curious...where do you sit to eat room service meals, tie shoes, read a book etc ? Do you cruise longer than 7 days?

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We're glad to to see the chairs gone on the Crown. At least we won't have to move it to the closet area any longer.😃

Why don’t you use the chair to sit in?

On 4/9/2019 at 10:58 AM, maggie777 said:

Just curious...where do you sit to eat room service meals, tie shoes, read a book etc ? Do you cruise longer than 7 days?

On the chair provided at the desk and if we order room service dinner an extra chair will be provided.

We ALWAYS cruise longer than 7 days.

On 4/9/2019 at 1:06 PM, gwhitti said:

Why don’t you use the chair to sit in?

1 chair per cabin is more than enough for us. The second one is always in the way. 

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

On the chair provided at the desk and if we order room service dinner an extra chair will be provided.

1 chair per cabin is more than enough for us. The second one is always in the way. 

Where does a couple sit when they order room service breakfast? How does that work with only one chair?

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Where does the extra chair come from when provided with room service? Have you actually experienced this extra chair?

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

1 chair per cabin is more than enough for us.

If I am doing my math correctly, if one chair is "more than enough", than "enough" would be fewer than one chair, which would be no chairs.  I suppose it is plausible that two people sharing a cabin could take a cruise and never want or need to sit in a chair the entire time.  But you would have to agree, wouldn't you, that this would be the exception to the rule and not the norm.  When my wife is doing her hair/makeup at the mirrored desk using the desk chair,  one chair is certainly not more than enough.  That one chair is essential.  A second chair certainly seems like a logical addition.  I'm not sure how after 50+ years of past experience, some efficiency expert now concluded that the second chair is unnecessary, wasteful, or spatially obtrusive.

Speaking of efficiency, has no one back at HQ worked through in their mind's eye just how inefficient it is on turnaround day for dozens of cabin stewards to be lugging barrel chairs out of the cabins and through the hallways at 9:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. as they ready the cabins for the next guests only to have to lug them back through the hallways at 1:00 p.m. that same day to return the chairs to the cabins per the requests of the new guests?  Don't stewards have a tough enough time on turnaround day already?  Adding the task of going back and forth between cabins and storage rooms hauling heavy chairs around seems insane to me.  Literally insane.   Imagine that you are the steward who just moved the chair out of the cabin at 11:30 and at 12:30 the next guest asks you to bring the chair back into the room.  How many times would that have to happen before you would have a mutiny on your hands?   

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

If I am doing my math correctly, if one chair is "more than enough", than "enough" would be fewer than one chair, which would be no chairs.  I suppose it is plausible that two people sharing a cabin could take a cruise and never want or need to sit in a chair the entire time.  But you would have to agree, wouldn't you, that this would be the exception to the rule and not the norm.  When my wife is doing her hair/makeup at the mirrored desk using the desk chair,  one chair is certainly not more than enough.  That one chair is essential.  A second chair certainly seems like a logical addition.  I'm not sure how after 50+ years of past experience, some efficiency expert now concluded that the second chair is unnecessary, wasteful, or spatially obtrusive.

Speaking of efficiency, has no one back at HQ worked through in their mind's eye just how inefficient it is on turnaround day for dozens of cabin stewards to be lugging barrel chairs out of the cabins and through the hallways at 9:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. as they ready the cabins for the next guests only to have to lug them back through the hallways at 1:00 p.m. that same day to return the chairs to the cabins per the requests of the new guests?  Don't stewards have a tough enough time on turnaround day already?  Adding the task of going back and forth between cabins and storage rooms hauling heavy chairs around seems insane to me.  Literally insane.   Imagine that you are the steward who just moved the chair out of the cabin at 11:30 and at 12:30 the next guest asks you to bring the chair back into the room.  How many times would that have to happen before you would have a mutiny on your hands?   

Your concern for the burden on the stewards is thoughtful. Your assumption that there will be a supply of chairs in a storage room is questionable.

7 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

Your concern for the burden on the stewards is thoughtful. Your assumption that there will be a supply of chairs in a storage room is questionable.

I fear that the workaround against the insanity I laid out is to get rid of the option of having the chairs returned to the cabin. So you are no doubt correct.  But in the interim...😖

Better get one of these before they sell out:  https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Inflatable-Empire-Chair-Color/dp/B00G7H7A2G/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=inflatable+chair&qid=1554992072&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Edited by JimmyVWine

40 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Your post is spot on. Thank you.  I might add that I personally have zero confidence in a company that allows its management to make such ill-thought out and stupid decisions. If they are incapable of thinking this chair thing through, why would I expect them to be able to make rational and safe decisions where passenger's lives are at stake in an emergency?

This is one reason why we have decided to quit Princess and move on. 

It appears to me that the monkeys are running the circus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maggie777 said:

Does anyone know if the Sun Princess has a desk chair with a back or a seat with no back?

We were just on the Sun in February. At that time, the desk 'chair' was a stool with no back. At that time there was also a barrel chair. There was no small table in the cabin, but there was one on the balcony.