Barrel Chairs on Star

Ombud

10 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

Good luck with that request. People are lucky to have any table at all lately. 

That's not been my experience and I've been on 3 cruises with 3 different Princess ships in the past 12 months. What ship & when were you turned down? But for those who personally experience otherwise there are other lines

Edited by Ombud

So, I am returning to Princess after a few years away cruising on other cruise lines.

My question, what is left in the room for passenger comfort and convenience?

No coffee pot (I did not remember if they had them or not), no chair, no table in the cabin.

Seems they are stripped bare other than a bed, a small desk and a desk chair which is not really for comfort when sitting. Lots of standing room I would imagine. ☺

Safe sailing all!

6 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

So, I am returning to Princess after a few years away cruising on other cruise lines.

My question, what is left in the room for passenger comfort and convenience?

No coffee pot (I did not remember if they had them or not), no chair, no table in the cabin.

Seems they are stripped bare other than a bed, a small desk and a desk chair which is not really for comfort when sitting. Lots of standing room I would imagine. ☺

Safe sailing all!

Not much at all for the comfort of two people.  You can take turns sitting on the chair.  Plenty of standing room.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:38 AM, Ombud said:

Sorry Colorado. I tried to post on the other thread but it wouldn't accept more posts. I thought I was in a BB but it turns out Im apparently not. The room shows as 338 sq ft, very large balcony. Bathroom 2X all the other balconies I've been in. This is the room that was Guarantee OF, paid 400 to upgrade for 16 night cruise. Still lists as BB. Lost my inroom WIFI, got twice the room Im used to

FWIW: Star B302

On 3/15/2019 at 4:38 AM, Ombud said:

Sorry Colorado. I tried to post on the other thread but it wouldn't accept more posts. I thought I was in a BB but it turns out Im apparently not. The room shows as 338 sq ft, very large balcony. Bathroom 2X all the other balconies I've been in. This is the room that was Guarantee OF, paid 400 to upgrade for 16 night cruise. Still lists as BB. Lost my inroom WIFI, got twice the room Im used to

FWIW: Star B302

So that's what happened.  There seemed to be a post every 5 minutes, then nothing.  I was starting to have withdrawals.😆

• Haha 1

Star B302 has 1 desk chair, 2 barrel chairs, 2 balcony chairs, 2 round tables (1 inside, 1 outside), plenty of open space. Just 1 queen size bed or 2 singles, 1 60" TV, refrigerator,  desk drawer ..... nothing is missing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:05 AM, Ombud said:

Just boarded, I have 2 barrel chairs and 1 desk chair. And Im the person who didnt care! :classic_biggrin:

I followed the previous very long thread that discussed the removal of the barrel chairs.  I have just returned from a short 3 day sail on the Emerald from LA to Vancouver.  When we boarded there was no barrel chair in our balcony stateroom.  After reading through the thread and the comments from people who had been in contact with customer relations, including myself, I decided not to bother with asking the steward.  I went straight to the passenger service desk and asked for a chair.  They were great.  The lady immediately called over a crew member and told him I wanted a chair.  He spoke to me about my cabin and said he would send one right away.  It was in my room in less than 1/2 hour.  I still believe that Princess should deal with this issue in reverse.  In other words, if you don't want the chair, you can ask to have it removed.  My only other comment is that the Emerald is heading into dry dock in Victoria.  I am wondering if the chairs will be removed entirely there given that some people have indicated that when they asked the steward for a chair, they were told the chairs were all gone.  Not sure that the stewards know this for sure which is why I went straight to the Passenger Service Desk.  My advice, if you want a chair,  is to go there and ask.  If you don't get one then, well, we certainly can let Princess know that this continues to be an issue and it is a very puzzling decision given that most stateroom house at least two people!  We will be on the Crown in Sept.  I will be reporting back on our experience there.

7 minutes ago, TanglewoodTootsie said:

I followed the previous very long thread that discussed the removal of the barrel chairs.  I have just returned from a short 3 day sail on the Emerald from LA to Vancouver.  When we boarded there was no barrel chair in our balcony stateroom.  After reading through the thread and the comments from people who had been in contact with customer relations, including myself, I decided not to bother with asking the steward.  I went straight to the passenger service desk and asked for a chair.  They were great.  The lady immediately called over a crew member and told him I wanted a chair.  He spoke to me about my cabin and said he would send one right away.  It was in my room in less than 1/2 hour.  I still believe that Princess should deal with this issue in reverse.  In other words, if you don't want the chair, you can ask to have it removed.  My only other comment is that the Emerald is heading into dry dock in Victoria.  I am wondering if the chairs will be removed entirely there given that some people have indicated that when they asked the steward for a chair, they were told the chairs were all gone.  Not sure that the stewards know this for sure which is why I went straight to the Passenger Service Desk.  My advice, if you want a chair,  is to go there and ask.  If you don't get one then, well, we certainly can let Princess know that this continues to be an issue and it is a very puzzling decision given that most stateroom house at least two people!  We will be on the Crown in Sept.  I will be reporting back on our experience there.

Thank you for posting this.  I know the other thread was removed.  Why I don't know.  The smoking thread has a sticky on the top of the Princess board.  But the chair thread is gone.  Maybe Princess......

We need two places to sit.  One for me and one for DH.  I had a large FFC  (a little over $1,200 PP to spend on Princess.  We were able to book a deluxe balcony (which has the love seat in it), so we are fine.

I don't know if that will be our last princess cruise, because we normally get a reg balcony and now to assured of a place to sit I have to move up in cat. & price.   Time will tell.  A good price for a cabin with two seats in it we sail.  If not back to HAL and X for us.  Too bad.

I am happy that it worked for you.

So if enough book on another line & don't come back after being angry with paying extra for food / no military OBC / tiny rooms / other multiple frustrations voiced with other lines on cruise critic or decide they like paying 2× as much / prefer traveling to hotels instead of cruising and think that expense is worth it CCL will rethink decisions

• Haha 1

After our 10 day Caribbean cruise on the Crown with no chair in our standard balcony, we decided to give HAL a try on our next cruise. Booked a 14 night transatlantic next year on Nieuw Statendam, reduced deposit, sofa in cabin, $200 OBC (+ shareholders $250) . Too good a deal to pass up.
Certainly not going to do a T/A on Princess with no place to sit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TriumphGuy said:

After our 10 day Caribbean cruise on the Crown with no chair in our standard balcony, we decided to give HAL a try on our next cruise. Booked a 14 night transatlantic next year on Nieuw Statendam, reduced deposit, sofa in cabin, $200 OBC (+ shareholders $250) . Too good a deal to pass up.
Certainly not going to do a T/A on Princess with no place to sit. 

Good for you. I hope you really like it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll report back in here as well since they removed the other thread:

Just got back from 10 day Mexico on the Grand.  Upon entering my balcony cabin, no barrel chair.  Asked the room steward and he said no problem - had a chair in 30 minutes!.....and they just came out of drydock.

I asked if this was the new process and he said yes - they will be available upon request.

I must say I was surprised as I didn't expect they'd have one - but happy to have the chair.😂

We will be boarding the Sapphire in a few months so it appears as though my first request of the cabin steward is to bring back the chair so we both have someplace to sit.  We are much too old to be sitting on the floor besides carpet is inherently dirty.  Nice move Princess!

13 hours ago, southerngoose said:

I'm glad to hear that the chair would be available upon request.   🙂

Can't imagine an unlimited supply of chairs stored onboard.  At some point, i would guess fairly quickly, the chair requests will exceed the supply.  Sooner or later, Princess will reallocate the spare chair room to some other purpose.  So, chairs are available on request FOR NOW.

Edited by pms4104
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

,Can't imagine an unlimited supply of chairs stored onboard.  At some point, i would guess fairly quickly, the chair requests will exceed the supply.  Sooner or later, Princess will reallocate the spare chair room to some other purpose.  So, chairs are available on request FOR NOW.

You may be right or if they get enough requests, maybe they will get smart and put the chair back or some kind of replacement for it.  Seems odd that some ships still have them and some not or maybe they are rethinking.  In the meantime, it seems one of the first things you will have to do when boarding is ask for the chair before others do because they can't be storing an unlimited supply on board.  That would be REALLY stupid!

35 minutes ago, TanglewoodTootsie said:

You may be right or if they get enough requests, maybe they will get smart and put the chair back or some kind of replacement for it.  Seems odd that some ships still have them and some not or maybe they are rethinking.  In the meantime, it seems one of the first things you will have to do when boarding is ask for the chair before others do because they can't be storing an unlimited supply on board.  That would be REALLY stupid!

I have a great idea for storing the chairs: LEAVE THEM IN THE FREAKIN' CABIN! 

Problem solved...

• Like 3