Onboard clientel?

hippyman

My daughters are 34 and 35.  Neither of them would enjoy HAL.  My husband and I took our first HAL cruise when we were in our mid-40's.  We weren't into drinking and partying, but even we felt we were too young for it then.   Fast forward 20 years.  Last October we returned to HAL to take a cruise to Japan.  For us now, it is a perfect fit and we are booked for a Panama Canal cruise next month.  To be perfectly honest, 30 is too young for HAL. 

8 hours ago, hippyman said:

I wouldn't say I'm looking for a lot of night life.  Just as long as they have a bar onboard.  Also, somehow I ended up on a guided trip once with a group of 50+ people and it almost ruined the trip for me.  I think it was that anyway.

If being on a tour with a group of 50+ (focus on age not individual personalities) almost ruined a trip for you, then HAL is probably not the cruise line for you.

11 hours ago, hippyman said:

I am in the process of selecting between one of two full caribbean cruises.  One of them is on a Holland America ship and I have never sailed with them before.  I was doing some research and came across an article that said HAL catered mostly to the "baby-boomer crowd".  Is this true?  I am in my thirties and do not want to feel "out of place".

Just got off a couple of weeks ago, we are in our mid 60's and we felt like weren't old enough to be on the ship.

• Like 1

My kids are in their 30's and I would suggest to them to try Royal Carribean's Symphony of the Seas, Allure, Oasis, or Harmony as these ships have alot to offer in terms of adventure on board as well as an active nightlife.  Their shows are fantastic including Broadway, iceskating, diving, and comedy.  We loved those ships as well as Celebrity but Celebrity does not offer as much on their ship for someone young like yourself.

There will be a time for Holland ships for you but not quite yet with what you described you are looking for.  Right now Holland ships are our preferred choice.

I, too, would recommend a RCC ship.  Our cruise on the Oasis was amazing!  You might also enjoy a Norwegian Cruise because some of their ships (I know the Epic does) have dedicated inside cabins for single cruisers, they also have their own lounge, dining arrangements and tours.  My daughter took an Epic cruise several years ago and absolutely loved it.  She still keeps in touch with the people she met (all in their 30's).

I loved Holland when I was younger too. It depends on how you want to spend your day. I have much more fun singing along to songs I know by heart at the piano bar than bumping bodies with folks on a crowded dance floor. There is less "things" to do on Holland, but there is also less people drunk in the Hallway, yelling, running around and being rowdy. Frankly, I have never been puked on while using the hot tub on Holland and it happened to me twice on Carnival. I also love that no one is trying to sell me scratch tickets or souvenir drinks every 2 seconds like on Princess and Carnival.  

If you like things like kareoke, top 20 dancing, and big parties try Princess. It is more high energy. If you like reading books with a scotch in your hand, or playing bridge with some of us older folks, come to Holland.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2019 at 9:21 PM, zqvol said:

Just got off a couple of weeks ago, we are in our mid 60's and we felt like weren't old enough to be on the ship.

Ditto this.  Mid-sixties, was on the Koningsdam, and felt the same.  It seems to cater to older people who want a nice, quiet, relaxing cruise.  I was on a 10 day, so that may have increased the average age a little.

If you're looking for "fun" or something a little high energy, you might want to consider a different line, or at least go into it understanding what it is.  I loved the ship, the food and the staff, but the entertainment wasn't at all what I'd prefer.  I met a number of couples in their mid to late 70's who felt the same - they need to liven things up a bit or at least offer more choices.  OTOH, they probably know their market, and I assume the majority of their clientele like it the way it is.  

HAL does seem to cater to the older crowd who want a relaxing cruise.

We vary or cruises - on our next cruise (7 day Mexico) we likely will just chill out and enjoy the warm weather.  May do one excursion and likely stay onboard (or in the port area) for 2 of the ports.  On our Jan, 2019 cruise (Panama Canal full transit) we were very busy and did 6 excursions!  

So, my comment is that a cruise is what you make of it.  

• Like 1

The more I read, the more I seem to get overwhelmed, lol.  I can usually create my own fun no matter the situation, just tell

me one thing.  Are drink packages availabe on HAL?

On 3/15/2019 at 12:46 PM, twodjs said:

7 minutes ago, hippyman said:

The more I read, the more I seem to get overwhelmed, lol.  I can usually create my own fun no matter the situation, just tell

me one thing.  Are drink packages availabe on HAL?

Yes - check the HAL website for details and pricing.

Also, HAL runs one or two promotions a year called Explore4.  This provides you with 15 drinks a day.  But be advised, normally the fares are higher when they run these promotions.  No "free lunch".

Edited by DaveOKC

12 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

I loved Holland when I was younger too. It depends on how you want to spend your day. I have much more fun singing along to songs I know by heart at the piano bar than bumping bodies with folks on a crowded dance floor. There is less "things" to do on Holland, but there is also less people drunk in the Hallway, yelling, running around and being rowdy. Frankly, I have never been puked on while using the hot tub on Holland and it happened to me twice on Carnival. I also love that no one is trying to sell me scratch tickets or souvenir drinks every 2 seconds like on Princess and Carnival.  

If you like things like kareoke, top 20 dancing, and big parties try Princess. It is more high energy. If you like reading books with a scotch in your hand, or playing bridge with some of us older folks, come to Holland.

Ha....  my wife went with girl friends on a 4 day  out of LA..... She came back....saying never ever again.... people passing out vomiting, Passing out in their own emissis..  pigging out .   They had to stop the ship before it went out if the breakwater  to  get  people  off who had overdosed on drugs....... Carnival.... what an appropriate name .    

On 3/15/2019 at 3:41 PM, ThePenguin1 said:

The great thing about HAL ships and the clientele, is you can always walk straight up to any bar and get served straight away.

Ok..... I don't get it....  What are you trying to say???

On 3/15/2019 at 9:44 AM, hippyman said:

I am in the process of selecting between one of two full caribbean cruises.  One of them is on a Holland America ship and I have never sailed with them before.  I was doing some research and came across an article that said HAL catered mostly to the "baby-boomer crowd".  Is this true?  I am in my thirties and do not want to feel "out of place".

I'm in my early 30's and I have not sailed on HAL yet, but their advertising towards my age group is aggressive and I think our next family cruise will be on HAL. The ships look amazing, the food looks amazing and since there are less families with kids cruising HAL I have heard the kids programs are outstanding. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

I'm in my early 30's and I have not sailed on HAL yet, but their advertising towards my age group is aggressive and I think our next family cruise will be on HAL. The ships look amazing, the food looks amazing and since there are less families with kids cruising HAL I have heard the kids programs are outstanding. 

Interesting, because certainly even the newer HAL ships don't compete with all the onboard whistles and bells other "family oriented" and much larger ships offer. We have long learned ship marketing is often quite disconnected from the onboard experience. HAL ships still are for travellers who want to enjoy and explore the ports visited ; not necessarily for all-ages onboard entertainment. 

Families indeed do have high praise for the young people's programs, but they are not key features of what HAL ever had a history of offering intentionally.  What ships do they market as "family ships", what itineraries and where are they doing this aggressive family-oriented marketing?

This is a tough one -many families do love HAL ships, but maybe not for the reasons this new "marketing" campaign is attempting to convey.  Food is good; don't think anyone would call it "amazing". Cabins are fairly standard. And children's facilities good but limited.

Edited by OlsSalt

And keep in mind that some of those new ships with bells and whistles might charge extra for those fun activities. Example, the bumper cars on NCL Bliss, $10 for half hour ride. That can add up for a family with kids.

I’m 36 and HAL is one of my favorite lines. You can see from my signature that I’ve sailed most of the major lines except for Celebrity. Veendam is actually my favorite of the HAL ships I’ve sailed. She is indeed old but her size is perfect and her crew was wonderful. You get a better chance to know the crew over a week on these smaller ships. I wish she would come back to Boston. 

Cuba is a fabulous destination and should not be missed. It’s so different from any other place in the region. I’ve gone twice with NCL and would love to go back a third time. (HAL would certainly be a contender if the dates worked. NCL has much more availability for Cuba trips which is the only reason they won out). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OVgirl said:

And keep in mind that some of those new ships with bells and whistles might charge extra for those fun activities. Example, the bumper cars on NCL Bliss, $10 for half hour ride. That can add up for a family with kids.

Better $10 for a 30 minute bumper car ride on NCL than for a second entrée in the MDR on HAL. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

“Family-oriented” is not synonymous with “bells and whistles”.  @Palmetto Pilot, I think you will have made a wise choice if you choose HAL.

I agree 100% We don't use rock climbing walls, go karts, ice skating. That's not why we like to cruise. Give us some nice drinks, a balcony, pool and some live entertainment in the evening and we're all set.  

11 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Interesting, because certainly even the newer HAL ships don't compete with all the onboard whistles and bells other "family oriented" and much larger ships offer. We have long learned ship marketing is often quite disconnected from the onboard experience. HAL ships still are for travellers who want to enjoy and explore the ports visited ; not necessarily for all-ages onboard entertainment. 

Families indeed do have high praise for the young people's programs, but they are not key features of what HAL ever had a history of offering intentionally.  What ships do they market as "family ships", what itineraries and where are they doing this aggressive family-oriented marketing?

This is a tough one -many families do love HAL ships, but maybe not for the reasons this new "marketing" campaign is attempting to convey.  Food is good; don't think anyone would call it "amazing". Cabins are fairly standard. And children's facilities good but limited.

The itineraries we're getting advertisements for are the Caribbean on the newest ships. I don't think the marketing campaign is trying to sell HAL as mega ship cruise line with tons of gimmicks. It's very appealing to me and just because we're a young family doesn't automatically make us only interested in the Oasis class or ships with water slides and go karts. I like being on a ship, that looks and feels like you're on a ship.    

2 hours ago, OVgirl said:

We're at the point where we're tired of paying a little extra for everything. Let me pay my cruise fare and buy a drink package that should be enough without being nickel and dimed to death.

• Like 1

How long was your Panama Canal trip on Celebrity, OP?  I would think that any trip over 10 days is going to attract the same demographic on HAL and Celebrity: namely, those with time to do it, which skews older.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

I agree 100% We don't use rock climbing walls, go karts, ice skating. That's not why we like to cruise. Give us some nice drinks, a balcony, pool and some live entertainment in the evening and we're all set.  

The itineraries we're getting advertisements for are the Caribbean on the newest ships. I don't think the marketing campaign is trying to sell HAL as mega ship cruise line with tons of gimmicks. It's very appealing to me and just because we're a young family doesn't automatically make us only interested in the Oasis class or ships with water slides and go karts. I like being on a ship, that looks and feels like you're on a ship.    

We're at the point where we're tired of paying a little extra for everything. Let me pay my cruise fare and buy a drink package that should be enough without being nickel and dimed to death.

HAL does appeal to the more self-contained traveler. Give it a try, it sounds like it could be a good match.

HAL is going off in two different directions currently - having to fill larger newer ships with routine itineraries  during the school vacation season, really- more like RT bus trips, but also continue to market their older smaller itinerary-driven ships which did generate a very loyal but often older clientele due to their longer cruises and more remote departure destinations.

Makes sense for HAL to develop these two different marketing themes since they are now going in two very different directions. Thanks for the feed back.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

How long was your Panama Canal trip on Celebrity, OP?  I would think that any trip over 10 days is going to attract the same demographic on HAL and Celebrity: namely, those with time to do it, which skews older.

The Panama trip was 17 nights. 

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

The clientele on HAL is an older skew. When comparing longer cruises on both lines, HAL WILL have more older guests. HAL has a more reserved vibe with very good personal service and is better positioned to handle any additional needs of older guests. HAL's newest ships have a younger skew, comparible to Celebrity. We have cruised many times on both lines.