Room Upgrade and Perks

Clayton.C

I am currently booked through Priceline.com on a May cruise on Celebrity. Prices have come down and for $200 more than the price of my balcony room I can get a suite. The difference is my balcony room came with the drink package and gratuities included in the price. The suite currently dues not have this offer. If I upgrade to the suite by contacting Priceline do you think I will keep the 2 perks or would they be wiped away?

You wouldn't keep the 2 perks if they are not included in the Suite offer you are considering.   You didn't say which sailing you you were on but 200 total to get to a suite is very good and I would jump on it.  Remember you can get drinks all day in MC/Retreat lounge so that would help with the loss of the bev package.  Of  course you would have to consider tips as part of the cost to upgrade.  I'd call the TA to verify the details.

2 hours ago, Clayton.C said:

I am currently booked through Priceline.com on a May cruise on Celebrity. Prices have come down and for $200 more than the price of my balcony room I can get a suite. The difference is my balcony room came with the drink package and gratuities included in the price. The suite currently dues not have this offer. If I upgrade to the suite by contacting Priceline do you think I will keep the 2 perks or would they be wiped away?

Welcome to cruise critic.

It depends on whether your existing perks were provided by Celebrity or your TA.  If they came from Celebrity and you are seeing the new suite price without any perks on the Celebrity website, then the perks would disappear; if they came from your TA, then you might be able to keep them unless you are seeing the new suite price without any perks on your TA's website.

You should also determine whether or not your TA will charge an additional fee for any changes.

Enjoy your cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I think the best answer is it depends.  You really need to call your TA and see what is included with the $200 more Suite offer.

I suggest you make sure that it is really a Suite and not Conceirge Class, Aqua Class, or just a higher level balcony.

Do you  have the offer in writing?

If you can copy the details here, perhaps we can get you a better opinion.  How long is the cruise?

Best of Luck.

2 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

How much you wanna bet that the upgrade offer is actually veranda to concierge?

My upgrade from veranda to Concierge for my May cruise has negative cost. Depending on what price and original room class he paid for, a $200 upgrade is not impossible. A higher level balcony room with 2 perks before price drop can be more expensive than a suite at the price within 50 days of the cruise. At least it is the case for my May cruise to Alaska.

Edited by Tourist1292

6 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

My upgrade from veranda to Concierge for my May cruise has negative cost. Depending on what price and original room class he paid for, a $200 upgrade is not impossible. A higher level balcony room with 2 perks before price drop can be more expensive than a suite at the price within 50 days of the cruise. At least it is the case for my May cruise to Alaska.

Pretty much the case. We might be on the same Alaska cruise, May 10 Solstice . Suite is currently $1499 pp.

6 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Did you upgrade?

No, I think we are going to keep a regular balcony room but see if we can upgrade to the "go best" option all 4 perks instead of the 2 we chose (drink package and gratuities), for about $30 more than our original booking. For the $30 we would get the internet and $300 obc. 

We didn't want to pay more for the suite and lose our drink package and pre-paid gratuities. Even though suite is only about $200 more we didn't want to have the added cost of the drink package and suite gratuities on top of that $200. We chose the original 2 perks to make it feel more all inclusive. Not have to spend as much on board except for random things here or there. 

54 minutes ago, Clayton.C said:

No, I think we are going to keep a regular balcony room but see if we can upgrade to the "go best" option all 4 perks instead of the 2 we chose (drink package and gratuities), for about $30 more than our original booking. For the $30 we would get the internet and $300 obc. 

We didn't want to pay more for the suite and lose our drink package and pre-paid gratuities. Even though suite is only about $200 more we didn't want to have the added cost of the drink package and suite gratuities on top of that $200. We chose the original 2 perks to make it feel more all inclusive. Not have to spend as much on board except for random things here or there. 

Did you mean $200 a day per person for the suite and now $30 a day per person to move to the Best Bundle?

We all misunderstood you previously.  Those numbers are more realistic.

A Celebrity booking with the Bundled pricing can certainly be confusing.  Lay out the facts for us and we can try and help you.

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Did you mean $200 a day per person for the suite and now $30 a day per person to move to the Best Bundle?

We all misunderstood you previously.  Those numbers are more realistic.

A Celebrity booking with the Bundled pricing can certainly be confusing.  Lay out the facts for us and we can try and help you.

No. The suite GTY has dropped to a very low price, so as all other classes on the same May cruise to Alaska. It is now just at the original price of some veranda.

59 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

No. The suite GTY has dropped to a very low price, so as all other classes on the same May cruise to Alaska. It is now just at the original price of some veranda.

So what is the $30 that Clayton mentions?

Then the  $200 total to move to GTY suite is worth considering. .  You can free drinks in the Michael’s and pay for your drinks else where. You also get a lot more cabin space and Luminae.

You  could also consider purchasing  a Classic Drink Package If you do not wish to stop at Michael’s Club for a free drink.  You could see if Celebrity is running a special discount for the purchase of  a drink package.

Of course, you will need to pay for your gratuities as an added expense.

1 minute ago, Tourist1292 said:

That is for upgrading from Go Better to Go Best but staying in the same cabin. Basically, that means a $600 drop in the cabin cost.

Thanks, upgrade from Better to Best for $30 total?  And not per day?

If it is only $30 total that would be a “no brained”.  You get an upgrade to Premium and Internet for two.

Looks  like the balconies are also GTY.

3 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

If it is only $30 total that would be a “no brained”.  You get an upgrade to Premium and Internet for two.

Probably not, otherwise the original cost would be too low to make it close to the current price of a suite GTY.

Not interest in the move up. I have already upgraded to Concierge and made some money from it. I got the room and perks I want. No need to spend more money. I would rather spend the money on excursions.

Edited by Tourist1292
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 8:37 PM, jagoffee said:

This is correct, because of price drop for $30 more total I can keep the same room but add $300 OBC and Internet.

I get that the suite is only a little more(plus gratuitues perk would be removed so add suite gratuities to price), but I don't feel like shelling out more money and only being able to drink at 1 bar. Maybe if move up was very cheap it would be worth considering. Perks of drink package for 2 and pre-paid gratuities is like a $1000 to $1100 value...

2 hours ago, Clayton.C said:

This is correct, because of price drop for $30 more total I can keep the same room but add $300 OBC and Internet.

I get that the suite is only a little more(plus gratuitues perk would be removed so add suite gratuities to price), but I don't feel like shelling out more money and only being able to drink at 1 bar. Maybe if move up was very cheap it would be worth considering. Perks of drink package for 2 and pre-paid gratuities is like a $1000 to $1100 value...

Thanks.  Did you spend the $30 to add the Best Package?  

Enjoy your cruise.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:57 PM, jagoffee said:

Thanks.  Did you spend the $30 to add the Best Package?  

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks. Yes, I just upgraded today. We got the go best package and a concierge class room for $40 more. I'm glad the prices came down. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Clayton.C said:

Thanks. Yes, I just upgraded today. We got the go best package and a concierge class room for $40 more. I'm glad the prices came down. 

Congrats! That is a great deal. I wish I wait until today to upgrade mine so that I can save a couple hundreds.