Golden missed Fiordland today 26 March???

We got in 4 out 4 and ran the gambit of all conditions. On one trip they were sunbathing on deck as we cruised through , and on another  we were sheltering behind the screens and under umbrellas while the staff were handing out blankets.

It has to be really rough for them to miss Milford as it is the drop off and pick up point  for the ships overnight tours to Queenstown . 

We’re on the Radiance OTS in Arkaroa.  Dunedin and the Fjords have been cancelled due to impending high seas.  Instead we are turning around tonight and doing Wellington and Picton instead before heading to Sydney.  

According to the Captain the waves were expected to be up to 15m around the SW corner

Wind forecast for Milford areas does not read pretty, that's for sure! LOTS more rain included as welll, so the waterfalls should be grand. We're due there on April 10.

Edited by boeckli

1 hour ago, thistledoo said:

We’re on the Radiance OTS in Arkaroa.  Dunedin and the Fjords have been cancelled due to impending high seas.  Instead we are turning around tonight and doing Wellington and Picton instead before heading to Sydney.  

According to the Captain the waves were expected to be up to 15m around the SW corner

Pity, the weather is beautiful in Dunedin and forecast to remain so, but that the luck of cruising.

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

Pity, the weather is beautiful in Dunedin and forecast to remain so, but that the luck of cruising.

Yes, there is often differences in weather and sea conditions between the east and the west of NZ.

2 hours ago, erewhon said:

We were sorry to miss Dunedin, but they were looking at the logistics at getting back to Australia on time. 

In case it's helpful, we are cruising fjordland today and it's magnificent!!  Blue skies and cool but we feel very lucky!!  Rough seas overnight coming around the southern tip of NZ. On Celebrity Solstice

24 minutes ago, lovestx said:

In case it's helpful, we are cruising fjordland today and it's magnificent!!  Blue skies and cool but we feel very lucky!!  Rough seas overnight coming around the southern tip of NZ. On Celebrity Solstice

Just had a look at the web cam for the marina at Milford , Looks a glorious day..Enjoy

5.jpg.5d47d792a36d00013cf786465dce6579.jpg

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

4 hours ago, lovestx said:

Good job on striking while the weather is good. The sounds can be glorious.

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/27/2019 at 5:07 PM, mr walker said:

Amazing! We were there in January, ahead of our cruise from Auckland on Jan 23rd. We drove right up the west coast [SH6] from Queenstown, thru Haast, Franz Josef, Greymouth & Westport.

We drove over that bridge & actually stayed overnight nearby!

Sad to see this happening - the West Coast folk were extra nice people.

Just an update on the washed away bridge...it reopened today. Would have been a bit earlier but the river moved around a bit.  It’s the 4th time in 30 years it has replaced. Just as well  they keep spare parts.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/waiho-bridge-to-re-open-following-west-coast-floods/

• Thanks 1

The bridge was washed out the same day I came to grief, on my rented motorcycle, riding from Arthur's Pass, intending to get to Haast. Still recovering with a badly bruised lower left leg with four foot fractures. Some places near there had over a METRE of rain in one day. Arthur's Pass suffered a landslide which closed it. One of my motorcycle mates, who was riding in ahead of me, was cut off by the slide and had several hundred ks round trip to rejoin the group back in Christchurch.

We've been lucky three times out of three:

Dec 2016 - slight seas and lovely weather but we hit rough seas crossing the Tasman

Feb 2017 - slight seas but low cloud hanging around the mountain tops until late afternoon,

Late Mar 2019, which we've just got back from. I really didn't expect to see any of the sounds this time as it was right at the end of the NZ season but it was the best of the lot thanks to Captain Tasos. Slight to moderate seas, perfect weather. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Just an update on the washed away bridge...it reopened today. Would have been a bit earlier but the river moved around a bit.  It’s the 4th time in 30 years it has replaced. Just as well  they keep spare parts.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/waiho-bridge-to-re-open-following-west-coast-floods/

Excellent. You guys sure know to get things back to normal quickly.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

The bridge was washed out the same day I came to grief, on my rented motorcycle, riding from Arthur's Pass, intending to get to Haast. Still recovering with a badly bruised lower left leg with four foot fractures. Some places near there had over a METRE of rain in one day. Arthur's Pass suffered a landslide which closed it. One of my motorcycle mates, who was riding in ahead of me, was cut off by the slide and had several hundred ks round trip to rejoin the group back in Christchurch.

Goodness, I am glad you are recovering, it may be some time yet with all those fractures.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

WOW ...What an experience. All the best for a speedy  and successful recovery.